C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Amsoil 5w-30? Any Amsoil users in here?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Fair enough. It's all good.

For me when something doesn't make sense I question it to try to find out the reason why...in this case it was simply a curiotisy of mine to see if any fellow W204 owners used Amsoil. Then it....well you know where it lead to...too much b.s. by some people...
At any rate, take care.

Cheers to freedom of choice LOL

Originally Posted by Domm
You're right. I'm no expert in oil and I don't aspire to be one. I know nothing about oil so if MB provides me a neat list of which oils I can use, why bother using something else?

Apparently you've been proved wrong by an expert and if you still wish to use Amsoil, no one is stopping you.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Very well said. It baffles me how no one seems to be able to show any documentation? It's all talk...blah blah blah...

I'm glad to see that the input you bring can be validated...whereas some of the other guys just don't get the fact or may not comprehend the idea that "Documentation from a legitimate source BEATS conversation any day."

It's so funny because the intent behind my argument has now gone to asking the "talk a lots with nothing to show for," to back it up...yet they haven't.

About Mobil1 not being really 100% synthetic...I've heard that from different sources in the past, but never thought anything of it until now...interesting eh?

Appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
With no disrespect to you and your background. Please provide proof that MB has voided warranties based on the DIRECT proof that the oil was cause due to it not having API or other requirements "printed", and or licensed. MB will and can void warranty, that is not the question. As I stated, MB can void your warranty for many things, but they MUST prove that it is the DIRECT cause of the failure. I too would be fascinated to see what you claim, then again, MB knows where their legal battle begins before they drag anything into legal territory. MB be would have a hard time proving other oils are not adequate for their engine, that is why MOST OILS are still able to legally print and legally recommend their brand, even if it's not in the manufactures list. BTW... I am only backing up the oils that I have used and done a advanced consumer level homework. I have no clue on the other brands practices and background. But I speak highly about Amsoil, Mobil 1, Lubro Moly, Pentosin, and a little bit of Castrol based on my experience with them.

Amsoil has a thing for debates because of it's lack of certifications, but NO company has ever proven them wrong in over the years since it was first to introduce syntethic oil. NO car maker has ever made a legal data proven bulletin denouncing Amsoil for its quality or it's claim. AMSOIL has never had to use it's own warranty based on a user having it's factory warranty voided because of it's oil. In my years that I have used Amsoil, I too have been skeptical so I kept on reading and doing my homework.

BTW. Most Mobil 1 "Synthetics" Sold here in the US are not 100% synthetic.

Again, I know most of you know more about OIL or the auto manufacturers themselves. But I know my rights as a consumer, no dealer will ever just tell me my warranty is void without certain proof, and I will not hesitate to to press them to give me all the angles of their results as my right. But after all that and it still proves that I was a at fault for using a part or liquid then so be it. I know when to accept defeat. I just want you guys to know.. I am not here to argue with you or claim I know better, actually when threads like this show up it encourages me to do more research. I guess my side of the fight here is the rights we have here in the US as consumers, where laws are screwed up as much as it's there to protect us.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
iunlock; I wouldn't worry much about these guys, they like to think inside the box and that is completely fine, what really bothers them is others that like to think outside the box and works out for them and happy about their decisions.

You should already know that starting one of these threads will create a fire, check every forum, every debate about Amsoil...ends with what?!? "What IF's" nothing.. they haven't proven anything to discredit Amsoil's claim, nor has ANY auto maker, OIL producer has challenged Amsoil on it's claim. No counter sue's for falls claims while clearly stating a competitive's brand name, which would be very easy to do if the claim was wrong. The point is everyone has their own idea what oil is good, independent oil analysis from major companies and test facilities to independent consumers have proven it's capabilities for many years. I am a user of Amsoil and many other brands that also perform very well. Oil is like medicine in the Medical world. One brand and prescription does not work the same for all individuals. Sometimes even the most expensive and most researched, most approvals under it's belt medicine will not do what it's meant to do, but a simple herbal treatment not FDA approved can cure the individual.

Have a good one fellow enthusiast... I'm considering M1 for my next oil since it's on sale too.. I have a couple thousand more miles to decide.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Glad to hear that you've been following it. I too was in hopes to gain some knowledge, however as you can see there are some people who can talk a lot of talk. Not to mention that they can't back up any of their claims with any documentation.

The truth of the matter is there are a lot of good oils out there. I'm pretty confident that's a statement 99.9% would agree on. It's also fortunate that we can make a choice as well. So you're right....do as we please.

Regarding your last sentence, if you're were referring to Amoils, I highly doubt it. You won't be spending thousands on repair because it's not on the list.

Originally Posted by mhad2480
Seems like Glyn is getting his feathers ruffled. Can't say that I blame him though, I've been reading this thread for a while now in hopes of gaining some knowledge and honestly still can't believe this debate is still ongoing. As consumers, yes you have the right to use what ever oil you want. Just don't expect MB to honor the warranty. They clearly give a list of oils that are approved and recommended for their specific engines, components, alloys etc. If you choose to use an oil that is not on the list for whatever reason it may be, brand loyalty, sale price or whatever, that's on you. I for one don't want to chance a several thousand dollar repair bill to save a few bucks on oil changes, but that's just me.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Answer two questions for me since you're a retired oil guy.

1. Are there any other oils on the, "approved list" that uses a direct marketing platform like Amosoil?

2. IF, Amsoil is the only oil listed that uses the direct marketing strategy, wouldn't you think this could possibly be the reason why they are not liked by the corporations? You have a cage full of vultures that just wants to prey on everything...you really think throwing in a Tiger would be liked by the vultures?

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
What is all this crap about? 229.3 is an ancient spec & was superseded in 2004. 229.5 has been the spec for all gasoline engines since then. You are extremely confused. 229.51 is for diesel passenger car with Cat & particulate filter <0.8% ash. Don't you have the intellect to question why AMSOIL has no 229.5 approved product? It's very simple. They don't have one that meets the specs - 229.51 is a far easier spec to meet.

Last edited by iunlock; 04-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Spot on with your medical analogy kuya. It's so true. Like for me I prefer the natural route and like me there are very few who haven't been brain washed in all the marketing/propaganda b.s. on how pharmaceutical drugs is the only answer. An intellectual person would know, nothing pharmaceutical cures...it just masks the symptom then wears off so you buy more! It's all about the $$$...*cough*...perhaps like the oil industry?

With all the documentation on natural healing, yet there isn't crap about pharmaceutical drugs curing or healing...ie...even with Amsoil's claims, there's yet to be a counter claim...

Therefore, it's a coincidence that we're talking about the oil industry which is second to the drug industry in profits...it's all about the $$$

I am still waiting for someone to proof Amsoil wrong...tick tock tick tock...it obvious some of these guys are die hard, "ONLY believe what is stated," type of people.

It's ok though, I find this extremely entertaining...it actually amuses me like an oxymoron...just fascinating...

Oh, and it's funny how some of them think I'm trying to market Amsoils when I just changed my oil with Mobil1 HAHA!

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
iunlock; I wouldn't worry much about these guys, they like to think inside the box and that is completely fine, what really bothers them is others that like to think outside the box and works out for them and happy about their decisions.

You should already know that starting one of these threads will create a fire, check every forum, every debate about Amsoil...ends with what?!? "What IF's" nothing.. they haven't proven anything to discredit Amsoil's claim, nor has ANY auto maker, OIL producer has challenged Amsoil on it's claim. No counter sue's for falls claims while clearly stating a competitive's brand name, which would be very easy to do if the claim was wrong. The point is everyone has their own idea what oil is good, independent oil analysis from major companies and test facilities to independent consumers have proven it's capabilities for many years. I am a user of Amsoil and many other brands that also perform very well. Oil is like medicine in the Medical world. One brand and prescription does not work the same for all individuals. Sometimes even the most expensive and most researched, most approvals under it's belt medicine will not do what it's meant to do, but a simple herbal treatment not FDA approved can cure the individual.

Have a good one fellow enthusiast... I'm considering M1 for my next oil since it's on sale too.. I have a couple thousand more miles to decide.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM

2010 C350 Sport
You couldn't agree more based on your opinion? OR because you have documentation to prove it to be right?

Big difference there buddy. It seems as if you've read this thread so if that's the case, you would know that it's at the point where it could use some solid documentation, instead of more speculations...

How does a direct marketing strategy have anything to do with it's oil properties?

You're last statement is entertaining. A complete new hybrid of an oxymoron.

"They could make a great oil, but I'll never know because I won't use it for the reasons stated above."

Translates to: "I know but don't know that they make a great oil, but I will never know because of the way they market it so I won't use it to ever know."

Oh my...

Originally Posted by AD.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Not to mention how put off I am by their direct marketing strategies. Those who support Amsoil seem to have the same cult-vigor as the kool-aid chugging inhabitants of Jonestown.

They could make a great oil, but I'll never know because I won't use it for the reasons stated above.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Spotting a good prospect

Received this email tonight:
Thank-You! for your interest in starting your own AMSOIL dealership.
I would like for you to review this page for information on how the business works http://www.durableoil.com/lit/B_pdf/g85.pdf.
Once you are done reviewing the information page please print/read/fill out this form(form is attached) to get started with your very own dealership.
Remember the earnings/growth are unlimited! ( YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT IN!) I can help you by showing you the ropes/tips/methods of being a top AMSOIL Dealer.
Thank-You!
Joseph Mendez
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 AM

2011 C300 Sport, 2007 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
^^What the ...? Thought this thread was done with?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by splinter
Received this email tonight:
Looks like a bit of a pyramid scheme to me. I frankly don't care how they market. I only object to misleading claims.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
+1 . And I was a big fan in 1980 when they appeared to be the only local synthetic game around, and mostly sold to agriculture machines that ran 24-7 in hot fields, or 18 wheeler diesel engines. I just hate the way they advertise now. Shaefer is a quality oil, approved by 229.x, and no crapy advertising.

That said, based on the current race the unenviable job of US President, crapy advertising is approved.

My recent thread on oils, with answers to OP's question on viscosity choice:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...o-summary.html

Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
AD.

w204 c300 4matic
Hey dummy, go troll your ****ty oil propaganda somewhere else.

Originally Posted by iunlock
You couldn't agree more based on your opinion? OR because you have documentation to prove it to be right?

Big difference there buddy. It seems as if you've read this thread so if that's the case, you would know that it's at the point where it could use some solid documentation, instead of more speculations...

How does a direct marketing strategy have anything to do with it's oil properties?

You're last statement is entertaining. A complete new hybrid of an oxymoron.

"They could make a great oil, but I'll never know because I won't use it for the reasons stated above."

Translates to: "I know but don't know that they make a great oil, but I will never know because of the way they market it so I won't use it to ever know."

Oh my...
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 PM

2011 C300 4Matic
Amsoil

Everyone.. I have use amsoil on all my cars. No issues!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I can't believe that the naysayers are still posting crap to this thread.

Use what you like. Don't try to influence others to make dumb decisions.

This forum tries to offer the best advice possible.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by BenzAMX
Everyone.. I have use amsoil on all my cars. No issues!
It's an old thread, but for the sake of those who browse old posts...

Since I use AMSOil Signature Series 5W-30 on my Mercedes B Class diesel, I believe I gained few more HPs and smoother stars in winter...