C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 starter cranking issue

Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
C250 starter cranking issue

Hi, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Joe and im from Hawaii, hence the screen name. Im a new member to the forum but I have been searching and reading posts from here for quite some time over the past few years. I finally decided to offically sign up because I have a question/problem that I just could not find an answer to by using the search button. Here goes, so I recently less than 2.5 weeks ago purchased a new C250 sedan from Mercedes for my wife. We love the car and everything was going fine up until a few days ago. My wife told me that the car sometimes is starting "funny" and she was not sure if it was normal. She said after it starts it runs normal and no check engine lights turn on of any kind. Honestly I assumed it was just her imagining things. Well I tried it out and she was right. Please dont let her know I said that. Anyway, seriously I noticed when the car was cold after sitting for awhile like overnight it would crank much longer to start than what seems normal. After first start I turn it off and try to start again and it cranks normal. Each time it will start up but it seems like intermittantly it will take a few seconds longer before the engine will turn over. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I know I should take it to the dealer and trust me I will. I've already contacted them, I'm just looking for some piece of mind for now because the dealership really wont give me any idea on why it does that until after I bring it in. Its driving me crazy that my 2 week old car is starting like its 20 years old. Any help or info wold be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 AM

2008 C300 Lux
Howzit Joe, welcome to the boards! I'm from Honolulu, Kahala area. Good to see there's other locals on here too.

As far as your described issue with the delay in starting/cranking the engine over, I experience the same issue. After sitting for a period of time (overnight), when I go to start the engine there's a delay of about a half a second to a second after turning the key and the engine cranking over. This has always been the case with our '08 300, so I just assumed this was normal. I don't have a specific answer for you right now, but wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Hopefully some of the other members can help shed some light on this. Aloha!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM

2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
Take it back to the dealers service department, its under warranty.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:13 AM

C250
Thanks for the reply uluahunter. As far as taking it to the dealer, I already contacted them before my post. A service advisor was supposed to call me back to make an appointment but so far they have not. It's the weekend now so I'll have to wait till monday to try again.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 c250
kind of sounds like an alternator issue...but then again my c250 does that mostly during the winter cold period. i live in vegas and right now its like 100 degrees out so i havent been having the problem but im assuming its just a cold start. if its making funky sounds or really cranking hard then i would be worried. it would be better if you posted a sound or video clip of it. and its faster for you to call the service department and schedule a service on your own rather than waiting for an advisor. they tend to "forget" as ive experienced so far with MB
Old 05-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
I just came out of a E Bluetec and back to a C250...the 250 does crank a little more than normal on the 1st start of the day.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Alternators don't participate in starting a vehicle. They charge the battery. Curious if it would crank slower/longer after 2 days of sitting. If so it could be some major battery drain or a bad battery. Alternatively (punny...) it could be a bad sensor sensing when the engine has started. Hopefully the dealership can shed some light on this.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM

C250
thanks for everyones reply. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it checked out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 PM

C300, ML 320, 190E
I have this same issue with my 08 c300 and its only on the first start of the day, after that it will start instantly 100% of the time. My car sits in the garage during the winters and I do start it up occassionally. Please let us know what the dealer has to say.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 PM

C250
well got the car back from the dealer yesterday. They did see what I was talking about but they said that it is in the acceptable range so basically thats just how it is. They found nothing out of the ordinary. I guess I can live with that. However I think this car is just cursed. We have had the car for a little over a month now and already had to paint the bumper becuase someone scratched it and just today the wife called me and told me a rock hit her windshield. She sent me a pic of the damage. 8" crack across the driver side. Looks like I need to shop for a replacement one. I'm so dissapointed in this car just from all the bad luck we have had with it, I'm really close to trading it in for something else.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
E200, C250 CGI
What the hell man.
So sorry to hear that.
Is your number plate some real bad luck number like 666 or something?
Hope you get better fortune from now on man.

joe...
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 AM

S500
Seems to be a common problem not being addressed

Hi. I’m looking into this issue. This issue of the car taking longer to start seems to lead to something much bigger. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car? I’m trying to piece together the puzzle and see what C250cgi (W204) with m271evo engines can do to prevent a timing chain failure.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
delayed start is related to timing issues.....
Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Which do you mean-?

From what I can make out you say two things thats important, but I am not sure if that is what you actually meant.

1-You say sometimes it cranks long(turns over longer than normal, before it starts. In this case I assume the starter swings correct speed, engine just take longer than normal to fire up.

Reply to this:My car C350 had this problem since new, they could never found this fault. It has done it some months ago. I just switch off, then it starts quickly.
They did replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor on 1st service, due to a bulliten about bad batch from factory. Now I started noticing this after this replacement, but they everytime assured me the CPS is ok.

2-You say further down, that someties the starter cranks slower....Now this is a different situation, I had to replace the battery after 8 years for this.

3-Delayed start, I assume it is meant if you turn the switch or push a button, you hear no starter turn for a while, then it turns-?

Im not sure which one you ment or both-?
Old 06-13-2021, 04:45 AM

c250 Benz
In response to this same problem

Originally Posted by Uluahunter
Howzit Joe, welcome to the boards! I'm from Honolulu, Kahala area. Good to see there's other locals on here too.

As far as your described issue with the delay in starting/cranking the engine over, I experience the same issue. After sitting for a period of time (overnight), when I go to start the engine there's a delay of about a half a second to a second after turning the key and the engine cranking over. This has always been the case with our '08 300, so I just assumed this was normal. I don't have a specific answer for you right now, but wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Hopefully some of the other members can help shed some light on this. Aloha!
had same problem with my C250 2012 model. Tried all means changing *** shaft sensor but won't avail.
finally it was known to be the cm shaft position.
changed them and that's end of story
Old 03-21-2023, 02:37 AM

MB C250
Hi Joe Following Up

Good Day Joe;

I came across your thread regarding your C250 hard start issue, and was wondering how did things turn out for you? I basically have the same issue, but MB is fighting me on the ext warranty repair.

Thank you