C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Head2Head: Mercedes C250 vs BMW 328i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Head2Head: Mercedes C250 vs BMW 328i

Watch it here: Head2Head: Mercedes C250 vs BMW 328i

The guys at MotorTrend take the 2012 C250 and the 2012 328i to the canyons of malibu to see which one is the better car in this video. It's a good video, but it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. It's close though. What do you think?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
God is the new BMW ugly as sin! I take away 50 pts right there. They lost me when they where talking about the interior, there is no comparison between the BMW and MB the MB rocked it.

Last edited by StuttgartUSA; 05-31-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Yeah I'm a bit biased, but I really don't like the new 3 series, the old one was much better looking.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I can't understand how you guys get so hung up on something as superficial as exterior style! They both look fine...good enough...reasonable. But these cars are meant to be driven, and with BMW's much stronger 4 cylinder, available manual trans, and superior chassis, this is no longer a close call for me next time around unless MB does something dramatic and soon with the W205.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I can't understand how you guys get so hung up on something as superficial as exterior style! They both look fine...good enough...reasonable. But these cars are meant to be driven, and with BMW's much stronger 4 cylinder, available manual trans, and superior chassis, this is no longer a close call for me next time around unless MB does something dramatic and soon with the W205.
Who wants a Ugly car. And besides the price point you can get a loaded C350 which has a superior chassis, better engine and a great transmission. Plus I test drove the new BMW and I don't get it, I didn't want to push it harder it didn't make me feel like I was driving a superior car. Yes it was more sporty but it was load and uncomfortable and at the age of 35, I am looking for something else. The Mercedes did what I wanted to do. Besides isn't that what these reviews miss that not everybody is looking for the Ultimate driving machine.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I think the new 3 Series is attractive, can't see how anyone could call it ugly. It's inoffensive, if not bland.

Supposedly drives incredibly though. I'm afraid to test drive one..I'd prob buy it.

Having said that, I'm still an MB guy and have faith that the w205 will be a big improvement.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by StuttgartUSA
Who wants a Ugly car. And besides the price point you can get a loaded C350 which has a superior chassis, better engine and a great transmission. Plus I test drove the new BMW and I don't get it, I didn't want to push it harder it didn't make me feel like I was driving a superior car. Yes it was more sporty but it was load and uncomfortable and at the age of 35, I am looking for something else. The Mercedes did what I wanted to do. Besides isn't that what these reviews miss that not everybody is looking for the Ultimate driving machine.
THIS! EVERY car reviewer always reviews the car based on how well it handles, some people (myself) much rather have a softly sprung car that isnt quite as strong in the bends. If I want the ultimate driving machine for a few hours, I'll take out a Ferrari. But every day, the ultimate driving machine is stupid.

Anyways, I saw one in white today...boy is it strange looking on the road! They way over did the shark nose concept on the front end. The back is nice though
Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by C300Kid
I think the new 3 Series is attractive, can't see how anyone could call it ugly. It's inoffensive, if not bland.

Supposedly drives incredibly though. I'm afraid to test drive one..I'd prob buy it.

Having said that, I'm still an MB guy and have faith that the w205 will be a big improvement.

Strange how the BMW has its naysayers on looks, it seems to be 50/50 on this and the other half dont love the look but its not offensive. The Mercedes is pleasant to the eye, is quiet and comfortable and more solid. I just got my car 2 weeks ago so the BMW was in the running and was the first eliminated by first looks second price point. Between the Audi and Mercedes it was a gut wrenching experience but I think I made the right choice.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ferrariyellow44
THIS! EVERY car reviewer always reviews the car based on how well it handles, some people (myself) much rather have a softly sprung car that isnt quite as strong in the bends. If I want the ultimate driving machine for a few hours, I'll take out a Ferrari. But every day, the ultimate driving machine is stupid.

Anyways, I saw one in white today...boy is it strange looking on the road! They way over did the shark nose concept on the front end. The back is nice though
You first have to understand that this review by Lieberman is specifically a review of the two cars in the CONTEXT OF A SPORTS SEDAN.

The review is about which feels sportier and which lives up to that idea of a four door engaging drive that comes from a sports car, not an overall comfort drive.

In the context of an overall comfort drive, the Mercedes wins. And Lieberman would say that (as he does suggest in this review.)

And a far as styling is concerned, this will always be subjective so it's fruitless to talk about it. My girlfriend is prettier than your girlfriend, etc., etc..

Choose the car that WORKS FOR YOU. Reviews like this allow you to make those kinds of decision. Do you want a car for tossing into the corners, or do you want something as an overall daily comfort car. This review should help. Just because he picked the BMW doesn't mean you have to do so. He was simply looking at them in a different perspective than your perspective. It's a good review for both sides of the coin.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Neither is ugly and neither will wind up in the Guggenheim. They are both well within the range of "acceptable", and the market research both companies have undoubtedly done would support that most folks would agree with this admittedly subjective evaluation. Otherwise, neither would have been launched as such. The C350 is actually about the same performance as the 328i (per acceleration tests already referenced), but it's still automatic only (deal breaker right there), and there is nothing that persuades me about your chassis claim. Sporty and ultimate driving is exactly what I hope for next time...and I am 58. However, having choices is great and I am glad for you that your preference for a more comforting ride can be satisfied!

Manufacturer websites' posted specs for 0-60 times:

328i: 5.7 manual/5.9 automatic
C250: 7.1 automatic
C350: 5.9 automatic

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-31-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
Originally Posted by 220S
You first have to understand that this review by Lieberman is specifically a review of the two cars in the CONTEXT OF A SPORTS SEDAN.

The review is about which feels sportier and which lives up to that idea of a four door engaging drive that comes from a sports car, not an overall comfort drive.

In the context of an overall comfort drive, the Mercedes wins. And Lieberman would say that (as he does suggest in this review.)

And a far as styling is concerned, this will always be subjective so it's fruitless to talk about it. My girlfriend is prettier than your girlfriend, etc., etc..

Choose the car that WORKS FOR YOU. Reviews like this allow you to make those kinds of decision. Do you want a car for tossing into the corners, or do you want something as an overall daily comfort car. This review should help. Just because he picked the BMW doesn't mean you have to do so. He was simply looking at them in a different perspective than your perspective. It's a good review for both sides of the coin.
+1 looks are too subjective, but i think the new 3 looks great!

Glad this 3 series wasn't out when i bought my C back in 2010 or i might have been tempted to spend the extra cash on it. If i was looking for a new car at this moment, i'd probably choose the 3 over the C, but it's kinda unfair to compare right now since the C is already a 5 year old model car.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
You have good sense, it is refreshing.

The deletion of the manual transmission is all you really need to know to about Mercedes attitude to real enthusiasts. No matter how good an automatic is, how much faster it can shift, etc - nothing is a replacement for the involvement and joy that comes with driving a manual. I really thought Mercedes was taking things seriously back in 2006-2007 when they offered the 6MT in the C350, but they quickly made sure no one got the wrong idea.

Having driven a new 328i, it is truly a great drive. I hate the 8-speed auto, though. The 328i at $50k is quite expensive, though the $41k, 201hp, non-HID-equipped C250 is overpriced. $41k can buy you a lot more car than a relatively base C-class. The 201hp C-class of yesteryear could be had for over $10 grand less, people getting them for just over $30k new. At that price, the C250 would be more appealing. At $41k, no freakin' way.

Was anyone really surprised the BMW is the better drive? I mean, that's like being surprised in the morning when the sun comes up. Some things never change.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I test drove the new 3 Series BMW. I liked the engine much more than the smaller MB 1.8T (the upper revs and engine power curve just kept going), hated the engine instant off at the light though, very nice 8 speed transmission, and a fabulous new interior, (better than the Benz by far... very modern, great sport seats, (much better than the blander Benz seats) thought the styling of the sport model wasn't bad either (looks better when seeing it in person) but we ended up with our new C300 4Matic. It was cheaper and of course, I was over ruled by my better half.

Last edited by MBRedux; 05-31-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
I test drove the new 3 Series BMW. I liked the engine much more than the smaller MB 1.8T (the upper revs and engine power curve just kept going), hated the engine instant off at the light though, very nice 8 speed transmission, and a fabulous new interior, (better than the Benz by far... very modern, great sport seats, (much better than the blander Benz seats) thought the styling of the sport model wasn't bad either (looks better when seeing it in person) but we ended up with our new C300 4Matic. It was cheaper and of course, I was over ruled by my better half.
I cant disagree about the interior on the BMW I found it to be horrible. But that is why they make diffrent models
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
Looks aside, how can one test 2 cars with different engine size and then call it head2head. Of course the one with the larger engine is going to give you better everything when the left part of the brain connects with the power and will override (overwrite) the right logical side of the brain.
Don't get me wrong, I like both Merc and Beemer but this is a silly head2head. More like my head is bigger that yours lets head2head and see who falls.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jesydney
Looks aside, how can one test 2 cars with different engine size and then call it head2head. Of course the one with the larger engine is going to give you better everything when the left part of the brain connects with the power and will override (overwrite) the right logical side of the brain.
Don't get me wrong, I like both Merc and Beemer but this is a silly head2head. More like my head is bigger that yours lets head2head and see who falls.
Two four cylinder engines differing by only two-tenths of a liter of displacement are directly competitive and simply reflect two manufacturers' engineering solutions to a similar challenge. As comparable base engines in comparable models which directly compete with each other, the comparison was completely valid for powertrain, although the differences in other options makes the whole car comparison somewhat less so.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Interesting comparison

It looks at the new F30 3 series BMW vs the updated but existing C Class which is in the same bracket as the outgoing E90 series BMW's !

I'd say this comparison should take place when the W205 is released to really compare apples with apples.

As for looks and aesthetics, there'll be a never ending arguement - it's each to their own on that one and alot of people liking one or the other are simply being subjective

IMHO the new F30 sedan has really stepped up in terms of interior design and finish and they've done a very good job, I closely inspected one in Singapore in April and again this month here in Aust. and in my view it's more modern o/a than the sedan C Class interior (I say sedan because IMO the C Coupes have a nicer interior than the sedans with seats lifted from the E Class) and in terms of drivetrain the new BMW is excellent with both engine and transmission, even the new 1 series with the new 8spd trans drives very well.

As said we'll wait and see how MB responds with the new W205, they at least responded accordingly with the new C204 Coupes as they are more than a match for the existing E92 Coupes, hopefully W205 and C205 follow suit
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
Thumbs up

Two four cylinder engines differing by only two-tenths of a liter of displacement are directly competitive and simply reflect two manufacturers' engineering solutions to a similar challenge. As comparable base engines in comparable models which directly compete with each other, the comparison was completely valid for powertrain, although the differences in other options makes the whole car comparison somewhat less so.
thanks for staying one of the few sensible people on the w204 forum
Old 06-01-2012, 04:28 AM

All good points in these replies, good healthy debate I like that. My last though on the Subject just get the car you like, in the real scheme of things it does not matter cars are like Laptop computers once you buy them they have a short life span on top. Just Enjoy

One other thing that is troubling about the review, how can you test a BMW with the sports handling package and not test the Mercedes Benz with out there Dynamic Handling Package? I dont know if you guys have driven a Mercedes with the Dynamic Handling Package, personally I think its better than the BMW. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by StuttgartUSA; 06-01-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:16 AM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Yes sir. Its def a big difference in the Horsepowers i'll take a BMW to go please.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
It's a tit-for-tat battle with each maker raising the bar each time they come out with their new design, back & forth... so here we go again. I'm confident however that Mercedes will improve the chassis on the next W205-C to compete with this new 3-Series superior handling, and will also improve the seat bolstering as well, especially in the sport version.

My fear is in the size. The 3 is growing in size, and I'm concerned that the W205 will also. Other than that, this little battle between these automakers is a win/win for us either way!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBRedux
It's a tit-for-tat battle with each maker raising the bar each time they come out with their new design, back & forth... so here we go again. I'm confident however that Mercedes will improve the chassis on the next W205-C to compete with this new 3-Series superior handling, and will also improve the seat bolstering as well, especially in the sport version.

My fear is in the size. The 3 is growing in size, and I'm concerned that the W205 will also. Other than that, this little battle between these automakers is a win/win for us either way!
Good insight! The W205 is expected to grow from today, and the new-for-2014 CLA sedan (imagine a small CLS, but 4 cylinder, front wheel drive) is reported to be about the same size as the W204 with a roomier interior! The strategic question for MB will be whether the W205 (even as it grows) is emulating a smaller E Class or if it wants to battle for the driving experience. Although some here would seemingly enjoy a comfort/luxury "small E" dynamic, it would drive me further away.

Here is the CLA. Look past the show car "fluff" (wheels/lights/interior trim) and concentrate on the sheetmetal, understanding this is W204 size

Last edited by Sportstick; 06-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM

A small E-class does appeal to me. When is the W205 going to hit the market late 2014 right?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very, VERY impressive indeed. Like I said earlier, I'm confident Mercedes is hell-bent on beating BMW in every category. If the new W205 is half good looking as this CLA, it will blow away the new BMW 3 Series. I just hope that they also concentrate on handling and steering dynamics. Thanks for the vid!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned

2013 C350, 2009 Odyssey
The 328i in the test was over 50 grand! $50k plus! In all the tests the 328 is over $50k. The mags should test $50k sport sedans and pit the 328i against a loaded C350.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Head2Head: Mercedes C250 vs BMW 328i