C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dealer order process

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
notanmb
Dealer order process

First time MB buyer and getting all confused w.r.t the dealer ordering process. Your guidance and insight is much appreciated.

Looking into the ordering process because according to a local dealer here in Northern VA (MB of Tysons Corner), there is not a single car in East Coast that matches my build.

a) Anyone have the 2013 C300 pricing and ordering info?

b) What is this dealer ordering process?

c) By ordering, am I forced to pay MSRP or can I still negotiate?

d) If I can negotiate, do I do that before or after the order is placed or when the shipment is here?

e) Is the deposit refundable (any conditions?) ( I don't understand the deposit stuff, since I am helping the dealer sell a car??)

f) Dealer is asking for a 5% deposit with 12 weeks of wait time. Does this sound right?

g) All this and I am looking to lease - am I going overboard? Are there any folks out there that ordered their cars and leased them? Can you post the process and experience please?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by mudeast
First time MB buyer and getting all confused w.r.t the dealer ordering process. Your guidance and insight is much appreciated.

Looking into the ordering process because according to a local dealer here in Northern VA (MB of Tysons Corner), there is not a single car in East Coast that matches my build.

a) Anyone have the 2013 C300 pricing and ordering info? FIRST GO TO MB.COM AND BUILD YOUR OWN FOR MSRP PRICING, THEN GO TO EDMONDS.COM OR CARS.COM AND PRICE IT OUT LINE BY LINE.

b) What is this dealer ordering process? WE ORDERED OUR CAR BECAUSE WE WISHED FOR A SPECIAL PAINT THAT WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE IN THE STATES PLUS OTHER THINGS... TOOK 10 WEEKS... THEY WILL TRY AND INTERCEPT A CAR ALREADY IN Q, IF NOT IT MAY TAKE LONGER.

c) By ordering, am I forced to pay MSRP or can I still negotiate? YES, YOU CAN STILL NEGOTIATE, BUT DO IT UP FRONT, NOT WHEN THE CAR HITS THE DEALER. RULE OF THUMB IS THAT THE DEAL WILL NOT BE AS GOOD, BUT IF YOU'RE A REPEAT CUSTOMER, YOU CAN EXPECT A GOOD DEAL.... WHICH ALMOST ALWAYS WORKS OUT BETWEEN $2500-$4500 OFF STICKER, DEPENDING ON THE MODEL AND ADDED OPTIONS.

d) If I can negotiate, do I do that before or after the order is placed or when the shipment is here? SEE ABOVE!

e) Is the deposit refundable (any conditions?) ( I don't understand the deposit stuff, since I am helping the dealer sell a car??) OUR DEALER DIDN'T TAKE A DEPOSIT... THEY KNEW THAT IF WE DIDN'T TAKE THE CAR, IT WOULD HAVE SOLD INSTANTANEOUSLY AROUND HERE IT WAS SO UNIQUE. BUT YES, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO WALK AWAY WITHOUT FORFEITING YOUR DEPOSIT, UNLESS YOU SIGN A CONTRACT WHICH WE DIDN'T, NOR WERE WE REQUIRED TO.

f) Dealer is asking for a 5% deposit with 12 weeks of wait time. Does this sound right? YES, AND YES.... BUT I WOULD SIMPLY FORGET THOSE GUYS... GO SEE JIM PRATT OVER AT GERMANTOWN EUROMOTORCARS... ORDER YOUR CAR THROUGH HIM. BTW, THIS DEALERSHIP IS THE BEST IN THE REGION.. AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU GO TO THEIR BETHESDA LOCATION, THAT PLACE TRULY SUCKS!

g) All this and I am looking to lease - am I going overboard? Are there any folks out there that ordered their cars and leased them? Can you post the process and experience please? YUP, YOU CAN STLL LEASE BUT THAT WILL COST YOU EXTRA!

thanks in advance!

See above....

Last edited by MBRedux; 06-10-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 AM

notanmb
Thanks for the information! I had followed pretty much the same process initially (getting a build from MBUSA) and sent it to the dealers. The build that I have is pretty much loaded with options (P1, Leather, Lighting, Multimedia, Pano, Keyless, Lane Tracking etc.) AND looking for obsidian black.

Not that anything is wrong with it, but for factory orders, we are pretty much looking at 2013 models. (Certainly liking the new detuned C350 engine.)

Does anyone know of the 2013 pricing info yet? Really hope that they standardize (or at least NOT get rid of) the Obsidian color option. Heavily leaning towards it.

If there are other order+lease or simply order process stories/experiences that can be shared for myself and future members, please post!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Ordering isn't what makes it more difficult to negotiate on a car. It's the "newness". When there are no 2013s on the lots yet (don't know), then the dealer is less willing to negotiate before they determine what the supply/demand will be. But that aside, ordering your car does not change the deal you can get on it. Dealer actually has the chance to make more money on a particular car if it's ordered because they aren't paying on it while it's sitting on their lot.

a) Anyone have the 2013 C300 pricing and ordering info?

b) What is this dealer ordering process?

c) By ordering, am I forced to pay MSRP or can I still negotiate?

d) If I can negotiate, do I do that before or after the order is placed or when the shipment is here?

e) Is the deposit refundable (any conditions?) ( I don't understand the deposit stuff, since I am helping the dealer sell a car??)

f) Dealer is asking for a 5% deposit with 12 weeks of wait time. Does this sound right?

g) All this and I am looking to lease - am I going overboard? Are there any folks out there that ordered their cars and leased them? Can you post the process and experience please?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Banned

2013 C350, 2009 Odyssey
Shop around. Email different dealers and ask for the best price on a 2013. Even though the pricing is still unknown, ask for MSRP minus a certain percentage and let them give you their best offer. I got MSRP minus 7%, delivery expected in late-July. Like you I wanted certain color/options etc. I probably could have done better but I liked the dealer and I'm happy with the deal. In my case they wanted a $1000 refundable deposit. I don't know what MSRP is yet - but I figure it will be close to 2012.
According to Autobytel website the 2013 pricing is the same as 2012. Don't know if it's true or not. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Not sure if amex still has the zag site, but I got a quote from a participating dealer that quoted me at (or very close) invoice for an order on a new 2012 in sept 2011. Might want to look into that.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
I was told the interest will jump to 4.9% for 2013 models while 12's are still 1.9%. This is in Canada though.

You just might want to consider this, we ended up getting a 2012 for this reason, plus the discount of $4850 we got on a 2012 we would not get on 2013.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM

notanmb
Looked around a few websites. Autobytel, as pointed out by @swd has 2013 pricing. It also shows some options that will effect the pricing. I think the pricing is around the corner.

I do have calls into couple of dealers with pricing (off of MSRP) requests. Will update how that goes.

@swd -- did they cash the deposit check? Did you generate any paperwork outlining the pricing/terms etc?

@2012c350 - ZAG site is still up and got close to truecar target price

@milan187 - my problem is that it's next to impossible to get 2012 with the options/colors.

will update as I make progress.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Looked around a few websites. Autobytel, as pointed out by @swd has 2013 pricing. It also shows some options that will effect the pricing. I think the pricing is around the corner.

I do have calls into couple of dealers with pricing (off of MSRP) requests. Will update how that goes.

@swd -- did they cash the deposit check? Did you generate any paperwork outlining the pricing/terms etc?

@2012c350 - ZAG site is still up and got close to truecar target price

@milan187 - my problem is that it's next to impossible to get 2012 with the options/colors.

will update as I make progress.
Those prices are preliminary estimates according to my sales guy. Agreed that if you're looking for a great deal, this isn't the path. Being Brand New, plus added refinement, plus other price increases along with higher interest rates will send the car into the higher end... lease or not. The fact that you appear to be obsessed with losing your deposit makes me think you're still not sure if this is the car for you?.... right?.... and you're looking for a way out without losing your deposit... well you need to commit. If you were to go and see Jim Pratt in Germantown, he'll make you a happy guy, for sure! No pressure tactics, no commitments, just pure fun! Now if the car comes and there is something wrong with it, anything will do, you can walk away under the Maryland law and not lose your deposit. In fact, you are entitled to a complete refund up to three (3) days after buying the car for ANY reason, so you're covered!

Obsidian Black isn't even a standard color on the 2012 MY, that's why we had to special order ours. The new weirdly shaped rear wing on the C250-300 isn't worth it IMO. I bought a brand new painted C350 version for $100 on ebay, fits and looks beautiful! Yes the detuned 3.5L on next years C300 is worth the wait, you lucky dog!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

2013 C350, 2009 Odyssey

They took $1000 on credit card to secure the custom order. They even traded a vehicle with another dealer to get an earlier slot in the production line for me. The only paperwork is email. Potentially, there is plenty to go wrong with the process. But I couldn't find a '12 to my liking and I'm prepared to accept the risk. Obviously, I'll be in a better position to comment once the car hits the US and we start the real paperwork.