C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dynamic Handling ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport / C36 / C250 Sport
Dynamic Handling ?

Hi everyone, just got home from a long exhaustive day and was wondering during my commute(after driving my brothers W204 with DHP during lunch).... has anyone ever retrofitted the dynamic handling package to non DHP W204? And can it be done without breaking bank and reinventing the wheel??

I can care less about the paddle shifters, just interested in the quicker sharper steering and throttle response and tighter suspension settings!!!

I would love to hear what everyone has to say on the issue..

Cheers,

Last edited by IRIDIUMSILVER; 06-27-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by IRIDIUMSILVER
Hi everyone, just got home from a long exhaustive day and was wondering during my commute(after driving my brothers W204 with DHP during lunch).... has anyone ever retrofitted the dynamic handling package to non DHP W204? And can it be done without breaking bank and reinventing the wheel??

I can care less about the paddle shifters, just interested in the quicker sharper steering and throttle response and tighter suspension settings!!!

I would love to hear what everyone has to say on the issue..

Cheers,
I'm not sure if your proposed transplant is feasible, but it would likely be quite costly. There may be a simpler and less expensive solution to achieve some of your objectives. I swapped out my anti-sway bars for the Eibach set, and the steering response and handling were transformed. The car feels very different and all for the better with reduced roll and quicker/crisper response to steering input, while maintaining a neutral to slight oversteer condition (if driving very aggressively), which is the most entertaining!

This leaves the throttle response unresolved, but does make for a big smile-maker from the chassis. My comments on throttle may be of less value, as I have a manual trans, and it seems most of the concerns on this forum relate to auto trans lag in responding. Not sure what you're saying about the paddle shifters...you can care less, so they do matter to you, or you can NOT care less, so they don't? Some have retrofitted paddles with a steering wheel upgrade, but that is also costly.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 PM

"SportStick" thanks for corresponding... coincidentally I have feeling that It can be done on the cheap; allow me to elaborate a little. I took a peak under the hood of my brothers W204 and it has a part of its wiring harness plugged into a sensor on the passenger side shock tower(i'm assuming its to control the DHP and receives its input signal from the sport button in the center dash?) My car does not have this harness or sensor...

Now at the core of DHP is the agility control suspension(or in the DHPs case "advanced agility suspension") and as far as I know all W204s destined for the U.S. are equipped with AGILITY CONTROL from the factory.(please correct me if i'm wrong) And "IF" the dampers and springs are the same in DHP and non DHP W204s It just maybe a lot easier than we think..

Also looking at the cost of DHP $1530 + $250 s.o. charge, you get 18" AMG wheels, steering wheel shift paddles and speed sensitive steering, etc. The 18" AMG wheels alone are a $1040 stand alone option + who knows what steering wheel and paddle shifter hardware would be/are worth.. I would estimate any where in the ball park park of $250-$450?(as a option if it were available)

So looking at the numbers, I cant help but think that DHP can be retrofitted in its essence(sharper steering, faster throttle response, taughter suspension damping) sans steering wheel with shift paddles(redundant imp) and 18" AMG wheels relatively easy with a harness swap and shock tower sensor and some programing from star diagnosis?

So to make a long speculative convoluted post short, I feel in theory(mine) that the DHP option apart from the wheels and steering wheel is simply fancy programming(and brilliant one at that) that can be easily replicated with the correct sensors, harnesses and plugs. But then again what do I know???

Cheers,
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 AM

So I confirmed today that retrofitting DHP can be done with the proper engine harness, sensors and star programming.. I confirmed this today with my service manager and a few Techs at the dealership were I lease and service my M.Benz!

carry on.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes it can be retrofitted. The question is one of cost. The cost of selecting options when the car is built is ultra low compared with retrofitting.

The first things that have to be fitted are the active magnetorheological dampers all round in place of the passive ones fitted at present plus harness, controller, switching, & all fittings plus Star time.

Then you have to pull the car apart to fit all this gubbins. I suggest you get a quote to perform that lot & I think your eyes will water.

If it's handling you are after the Sportstick's solution will be a lot cheaper.

Anything is possible if you have a deep wallet.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I'm not sure if your proposed transplant is feasible, but it would likely be quite costly. There may be a simpler and less expensive solution to achieve some of your objectives. I swapped out my anti-sway bars for the Eibach set, and the steering response and handling were transformed..
True, but one nice feature about the optional Advanced Dynamic Handling Package is the ability to turn it on and off. With Eibach bars, your always on. A compromise would be stiffer springs with a little drop, like Eibach Pro-Kit or H&R sports.

This leaves the throttle response unresolved, but does make for a big smile-maker from the chassis. My comments on throttle may be of less value, as I have a manual trans, and it seems most of the concerns on this forum relate to auto trans lag in responding...
MB does say quicker steering and throttle response. Steering could be just from firming up the outer front shock as you start a corner. And throttle response could just be the old C vs S options for the basic 7 speed automatic. If it's more than that, then there is always the Sprint Booster.

Not sure what you're saying about the paddle shifters....
.... I can care less about the paddle shifters
Sportstick, how on earth can you find confusion in his opinion about paddle shifters? Perhaps problems with past participles?

Last edited by kevink2; 07-31-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
True, but one nice feature about the optional Advanced Dynamic Handling Package is the ability to turn it on and off. With Eibach bars, your always on. A compromise would be stiffer springs with a little drop, like Eibach Pro-Kit or H&R sports.

Yes, but this is a cost vs benefit analysis. As Glyn points out, a retrofit is quite expensive. I'm guessing thousands. A new car purchase decision is a different matter. Stiffer springs compromise ride comfort much more than antisway bars, which is a negative trade-off for me, but perhaps, not for him.

MB does say quicker steering and throttle response. Steering could be just from firming up the outer front shock as you start a corner. And throttle response could just be the old C vs S options for the basic 7 speed automatic. If it's more than that, then there is always the Sprint Booster.

Steering yes, but see note above. Sprint Booster....here we go again! Regardless, I don't deal with cars trying to spin fluids to get rolling!

Sportstick, how on earth can you find confusion in his opinion about paddle shifters? Perhaps problems with past participles?

This seems to be an increasing communication problem, perhaps by just copying lazy speech of others. In short, if one can care less, they consequently care more than the minimum. If one cannot care less, they are at the very bottom of any possible interest. So, to indicate total indifference, the expression should be (and used to be), "I cannot (or could not) care less". Somehow, the "not" has gotten lost for some, actually reversing the meaning. This seems to be happening among the same people who think, "I'm like" is equivalent to "I said" when quoting themselves.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yes it can be retrofitted.
The first things that have to be fitted are the active magnetorheological dampers all round in place of the passive ones
Anything is
Negatory ghost rider, according to my service advisor and the techs I spoke with at my dealership the dampers/springs wont need to be swapped.. (just harness sensor and star) yes its way cheaper to order your car with DHP, yes it will cost a arm and leg to retrofit. ***But I get things at cost and can probably have it done at shop night for peanuts - will I have it done, No! I don't own this car outright, its a lease and I'm counting my days before I can order a C250 with DHP.

The whole purpose of this exercise was to see if it can be done without any complications and with out retrofitting the whole suspension system as a whole.

-Cheers,
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350, 2010 C300, 2008 R350
Originally Posted by Wilburnter
So I confirmed today that retrofitting DHP can be done with the proper engine harness
How much would this harness be? I have someone with STAR that would do it for free if I could get instructions. Ill test it out lol. DHP was something I wanted over everything.

I made the mistake of not realizing that DHP was a 350 only option when my dealer told me that my car was equipped with it. I had someone sign the car for me when I was out of state. Upon picking it up and realizing the issue, the dealer denied telling me this (just as he lied about GPS on my fathers car). He offered 3 free details as compensation. Now I feel very silly for researching so poorly. Research is a passion of mine I'm rather embarrassed.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Negatory ghost rider, according to my service advisor and the techs I spoke with at my dealership the dampers/springs wont need to be swapped..
Are you sure grasshopper? I'd talk to the parts guy/gal rather than the SA, or even some techs (that used to put the wrong amount of oil in 4MATICs). The dampers for the DHP have a wiring harness of their own, to change the magnetic flux in the damper to tighten or loosen the damper stiffness in an instant. As Glyn correctly said:

The first things that have to be fitted are the active magnetorheological dampers all round in place of the passive ones fitted at present plus harness, controller, switching, & all fittings plus Star time.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 PM

Are you sure grasshopper? I'd talk to the parts guy/gal rather than the SA, or even some techs (that used to put the wrong amount of oil in 4MATICs). The dampers for the DHP have a wiring harness of their own, to change the magnetic flux in the damper to tighten or loosen the damper stiffness in an instant. As Glyn correctly said:

This is definitely true. Assuming the magnetorhelogical dampers are prohibitvley expensive, what about just the adaptive steering? Separate harness?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM

Ill double check tomorrow with parts department when I pick up my C300 - btw I really don't want to return my C250 loaner!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Posted by kevink2

Reply1 from Sportstick
Yes, but this is a cost vs benefit analysis. As Glyn points out, a retrofit is quite expensive. I'm guessing thousands. A new car purchase decision is a different matter. Stiffer springs compromise ride comfort much more than antisway bars, which is a negative trade-off for me, but perhaps, not for him.

Reply2 from kevink2
Not sure what the first half of that is about. OP wants to upgrade his C300. I've had 2 street cars that I tracked in the summer. One with Eibach bars and oem springs, the other had self-fabricated 9/16" rear bar, and 1" front bar (vs 7/8" oem), and oem Race springs.

For off season, I put oem bars back on in one car vs the Eibach's. In the other car the race springs were so sfiff I just disconnected the race bars. In both cases the off season ride was much better overall vs the race set-up. So my "Eibach" car was upgraded like yours ... bars alone.

We can agree to disagree about which upgrade is better, in this specific case. IMHO, if a flatter ride is his main goal, and he has few rough roads to deal with, bars may be best. But, if rougher roads are more frequented, I'd go with the 1/2" drop ~30% stiffer springs I suggested. The fine independent suspension stays more independent with stiffer springs vs bars, and it gets a slight drop.

----------------------------------------------------

Posted by kevink2

Reply from Sportstick
Steering yes, but see note above. Sprint Booster....here we go again! Regardless, I don't deal with cars trying to spin fluids to get rolling!

Reply2 by kevink2
"note above" =? SprintBooster is worth a search. Some people must use automatics, example: if disabled.

------------------------------------------------------

Posted by kevink2

Reply from Sportstick
This seems to be an increasing communication problem, perhaps by just copying lazy speech of others. In short, if one can care less, they consequently care more than the minimum. If one cannot care less, they are at the very bottom of any possible interest. So, to indicate total indifference, the expression should be (and used to be), "I cannot (or could not) care less". Somehow, the "not" has gotten lost for some, actually reversing the meaning. This seems to be happening among the same people who think, "I'm like" is equivalent to "I said" when quoting themselves.

Reply2 by kevink2
First, I'm disappointed you missed my alliteration. I knew the exact interpretation of the phrase, but not the evolution ( I-could-care-less ) . But somtimes one can come across as being condescending, when unnecessarily taking someone to the chalkboard.

Last edited by kevink2; 08-01-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed - the dealer's people are wrong or have been misconstrued.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Benz-o-matic
This is definitely true. Assuming the magnetorhelogical dampers are prohibitvley expensive, what about just the adaptive steering? Separate harness?
OK ~ Further to the damping issue. The system uses three accelerometers mounted on the vehicle body and four suspension position sensors. The balance of inputs to the controller come from the standard onboard SAS (steering angle sensor) & other ESP sensors.

The steering has been a steady progression & now switchable via a solenoid when you shove the DHP Sport button & yes requires it's own new harness.

The Benz progression.

Rack & Pinion.
Hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS.
Speed sensitive hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS.
Parametric speed & input hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS.
Parametric speed & input hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS with variable ratio rack ~ "slower" gearing around centre.
AAC or DHP steering where boost parameters are changed from standard/default.

The throttle response is changed in the ECU to more linear from highly logarithmic.

The TCU is also interrogated to institute a more "swift" shift map.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
.... The throttle response is changed in the ECU to more linear from highly logarithmic.

The throttle response now sounds like a 1st stage on the Sprint Booster .. I'll verify if the SB 1st stg is linear + full scale, ie wot= pedal on floor.

Glyn, do you think these are functionally the same as the C vs S selection on the basic models?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Glyn, do you think these are functionally the same as the C vs S selection on the basic models?

Kevin ~ Benz is coy about this. In some of the literature they suggest that the "Sport" map moves closer to an AMG type map where they reduce the clutch pack slip times but I'm not sure about this. Too much weasel wording.

BTW - regarding steering. If your car was not ordered/spec'ed with Parametric variable ratio steering you need a new rack to achieve DHP spec.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Oh! Kevin ~ I meant to say that on the W204 I'm not sure what the damper reaction is to steering angle & I don't know whether they brake the inner rear wheel in a corner like some models do. (What Porsche call "Vector Steering"). I'll keep a lookout for this info.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 AM

OK ~ Further to the damping issue. The system uses three accelerometers mounted on the vehicle body and four suspension position sensors. The balance of inputs to the controller come from the standard onboard SAS (steering angle sensor) & other ESP sensors.

The steering has been a steady progression & now switchable via a solenoid when you shove the DHP Sport button & yes requires it's own new harness.

The Benz progression.

Rack & Pinion.
Hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS.
Speed sensitive hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS.
Parametric speed & input hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS.
Parametric speed & input hydraulically assisted Rack & Pinion PS with variable ratio rack ~ "slower" gearing around centre.
AAC or DHP steering where boost parameters are changed from standard/default.

The throttle response is changed in the ECU to more linear from highly logarithmic.

The bolded things make me really sad. "Driving aware" gearing esp in turns and a TCU overhaul would make this car perfect in my eyes. Perfect enough to overlook its lack of power, because id enjoy the driving so much more.

This car, with the two bolded items, +100hp, and vector steering while its a pipe dream for this level car, would be an awesome sports car while still not competing with the C63. Think more like a 335ix 4 door competitor.

I'd actually rather get a "TCU Tune" over and ECU tune on this car anyday. Too bad its not available.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM

So work has kept me busy and I haven't been able to followup with the parts guys at my dealership like someone suggested, so as of now.. I stand corrected!

Cheers,
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 AM

C Coupe
Were you able to figure out how to get a faster responding shift in gear?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM

c-350 sport
Is it possible to buy advanced agility control and not have Dynamic handling. The Codes are the same (315). However, on the actual spec chart for the car it does not list dynamic Handling although I wanted dynamic handling. Does the code (315) mean I automatically get it in the (United states) Northeast region.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM

hello everyone;

so here i am again, same issue, but with a different w204. this time its a C250! i drove my brothers car over the weekend a C250 as well and his is equipped with DHP and boy what a difference it makes.. the steering is just sublime compared to mine(when sport button is activated) and throttle response felt a lot more linear with less turbo lag! the handling and driving characteristics were really transformed a true pleasure to drive i didn't want to give him the keys back.

well with that in mind when i order my w205 it will definitely be optioned with DHP!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
14' E63S
In regards to your comment with DHP, I am not how it is where you are. But all of the C250, C300, C350 here in Edmonton atleast come with DHP since its standard with the Avantgarde package which is standard on every car here.

Maybe advantage Canada

But even with the sport mode, yea it pics up a bit faster and tightens things up but there never was "Turbo-lag" in the first place since this is a NA-engine.