C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-16-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by kevink2
As I just said, new shocks OR modified bump cushions. I bet the installers did not look at the instructions, that should have noted this cutting of the stops.
If the shocks are bad, by cutting the bump cushions will not change the bouncy feeling, unless what rb23lb is feeling the suspension is bottom down, but that’s not the symptoms he is describing.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
.. bad shocks don't occur overnite.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C350
i knew i should have cut my bump stops while i was installing my springs. My ride is only bumpy on the front and I figured that might be the reason why. I guess I'll cut them soon -_- how much to cut though?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Carlow202
i knew i should have cut my bump stops while i was installing my springs. My ride is only bumpy on the front and I figured that might be the reason why. I guess I'll cut them soon -_- how much to cut though?
yes please post details on how much people cut off their bump stops...

I havent heard anyone talk about this on all the spring install threads...

is this something you can do with shocks on? (sorry for ignorance)

or is this a really involved strut removal that will cost as much as the initial installation, just to cut the bump stops?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 PM

W204 C350
according to the pic below. From what I know and from what my friend told me. You should be able to just lift the dust boot up and cut it from there with a heated knife.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Yes, the bump cushions are on the shock shafts, F&R.

I just called Eibach and H&R tech reps, and based on their "notes??" they said trimming of the stops was not called for, even for the SuperSports. But so many SS owners have had harsh ride issues. Then I came upon this thread on SuperSports:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-finding.html

"Well it has been 2 days since i swapped springs and all i can say is wow!!! First off, there is probably only a 3% ride degrade (hardly noticeable) All i can say is, wow this thing is a monster!!!!! the car feels way more planted when cornering, and is really confidence inspiring."

But this guy had them installed by a dealer's shop, vs a buddy with limited knowledge.

Last edited by kevink2; 07-02-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
If you have the H&R SS's installed and have a harsh ride, it could be due to loss of shock comression due to the suspension's new super-drop. The bump cushions may be in hard contact with the car parked.

Possible Test

It's unlikely one end of the car would have the same bump-stop compression as the other end. So a simple test that I have done to check front vs rear roll stiffness may halp here.

Simply find flat pavement, or garage floor, and place about 8" lengths of 2x4's in front of the left rear tire, and right front tire, and then drive up onto the 2x4's and stop when centered on the tops. If there is a strong indication of the car rolling to one side, the 2x4 on the opposite side is lifting the wheel which has the bump stops excessively preloaded.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I truly hope we get closure with the final outcome of all the investigating being suggested. While I deeply respect the technical skill of several members who are clearly very experienced and expert (Kevink2! I am talking about folks like you! ), I also recall that some owners come on this forum complaining that the OE sport suspension already is too stiff for them. I am reminded of the old saying, "When you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras"...just another way of focusing on the obvious, not unusual, cause. Something in my gut senses that the OP just finds the springs too stiff. This will be really interesting to resolve...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM

C350
I can only speak for myself here, but I didn't find the stock suspension harsh at all - I found it to be a little soggy in fact. I was trying to firm up the ride a bit - but not this much! I also installed the 5mm pads because I believed it was needed to level out the wheel gap so the front and rear are the same. I haven't measured, but the rear looks lower than the front. From some angles, it looks great and I'm into it. But from other angles it looks awful. I realize this is completely subjective, so for me - I think I'll probably go back to the stock pads. Judging by the pics in the thread referenced above, he didn't install the 5mm pads...

Last edited by ElJayBird; 07-02-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by rb23lb
Wow! I had my buddy just follow these instructions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-springs.html

Nowhere did this "trusted" DIY mention that you need to "cut any bump stops"

For all of you scores and scores of people that installed the H&R super sport springs.... Did you ALL cut your bump stops????

If this is really what needs to be done to fix the problem and everybody else did it... Then I will just do this instead of buying coil overs or new shocks....

Can anybody please verify or weigh in if the majority of people actually did cut their bump stops?? In all the threads I read, nowhere did I find anybody talking about this....
Ditto, I did an extensive search before I decided to buy the SS's. I read through countless threads of feedback and experiences and mulled it over for almost 6 months before I finally pulled the trigger based on the reviews of not just this board but also Benzworld.

No one mentioned cutting bump stops not to mention I've installed countless suspensions back in my younger days ranging from OEM sport suspension upgrades to aftermarket upgrades to CO's and have never needed to cut bump stops. Usually cutting bump stops were for the stance crowd. Whatever the case, I made a decision and I have to live with it so waiting for my Bilstein B8's to arrive and then install those and see if there's any improvement.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
See my quick test on post #58 ... you are a good candidate for this test. With the fronts allowing little compression, then when you roll up the 2x4 blocks, the car should roll based on the stiff fronts and the position of the front 2x4.

---------------------------------------

Although H&R said there was no special call out for cutting the W204 bump cushions (he did say this was required on some models) , it could be that this requirement "fell through the cracks." I'll ask for a verification.

Also, it's critical that all the rubber bushings in the loosened suspension parts be finally tightened with the car setting on it's wheels as if it was just driven, to be sure they are tightened in the neutral position.

Last edited by kevink2; 07-02-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ElJayBird
I can only speak for myself here, but I didn't find the stock suspension harsh at all - I found it to be a little soggy in fact. I was trying to firm up the ride a bit - but not this much! I also installed the 5mm pads because I believed it was needed to level out the wheel gap so the front and rear are the same. I haven't measured, but the rear looks lower than the front. From some angles, it looks great and I'm into it. But from other angles it looks awful. I realize this is completely subjective, so for me - I think I'll probably go back to the stock pads. Judging by the pics in the thread referenced above, he didn't install the 5mm pads...
ya 5mm pads are a joke... all those people who "said" they installed 5mm pads, I guess they like uneven wheel gaps with the rear tucking and the front not tucking...

funny cus I thought the smaller pads were supposed to EVEN it out, not make the back lower than the front... at least thats what people said in many threads...

I am gonna go back to the stock 13mm pads for sure....

I wonder if H&R street coil overs will give me more comfort but still have the low look, or if it is a better idea to just upgrade my shocks to the bilsteins ?

Please weigh in on H&R coil over comfort compared to stock and SS springs if anybody has tried both... thanks again for help...

PS- Selling my like new springs in retail packaging for $200 shipped probably (paid $270 from tire rack shipped)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:37 PM

C350
I thought about going with coilovers as well but I don't want to sink anymore money into this car. I'll end up going with a 350 or perhaps a C63 in a couple more years. I'm gonna throw 13mm pads back on and call it a day...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 PM

4matic C300
I believe Mike(AZNC300) stated that the coilovers ride is just as well as stock. I'm holding out to see if anyone else can prove this to be true.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ElJayBird
I thought about going with coilovers as well but I don't want to sink anymore money into this car. I'll end up going with a 350 or perhaps a C63 in a couple more years. I'm gonna throw 13mm pads back on and call it a day...
let me know when you put the 13mm pads back on if you like it and it improves anything !

Very curious to see your impression with 13mm pads if its enough to satisfy...

That will save me from buying expensive coil overs if the ride is better with stock pads in the rear...
Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

Originally Posted by Invain15
I believe Mike(AZNC300) stated that the coilovers ride is just as well as stock. I'm holding out to see if anyone else can prove this to be true.
I remember Mike saying this as well...

Anyone else out there have any opinions on how to get the lowered look but retain stock comfort??

thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
i lowered my 350 on SS springs early this spring. I have dynamic handling and didnt think I could touch the suspension cause of all the pitman arms and sensors going to the shocks. MrInkredibul did it and posted it works fine w his so I said F it, I ahve a shop whats 275 for a set of springs. Wasnt too bad at first, very stiff but I figured it would settle down. 2k miles later the rear is tucked hard (5mm pads) front has half inch gap. It looked nice, rear needed a little lift to be level. I ended up having custom springs made because I cant put coils in the car without removing the ride control system which is hooked to the trans and paddles, and it rides much better than SS and is still low. Im not a big fan of SS I think sport springs and 19s is a nice look on these cars, they settle pretty good after some miles........
Old 07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
i lowered my 350 on SS springs early this spring. I have dynamic handling and didnt think I could touch the suspension cause of all the pitman arms and sensors going to the shocks. MrInkredibul did it and posted it works fine w his so I said F it, I ahve a shop whats 275 for a set of springs. Wasnt too bad at first, very stiff but I figured it would settle down. 2k miles later the rear is tucked hard (5mm pads) front has half inch gap. It looked nice, rear needed a little lift to be level. I ended up having custom springs made because I cant put coils in the car without removing the ride control system which is hooked to the trans and paddles, and it rides much better than SS and is still low. Im not a big fan of SS I think sport springs and 19s is a nice look on these cars, they settle pretty good after some miles........
reply is here in "lowering springs"

https://mbworld.org/forums/5271122-post32.html

Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
thanks for feedback... My rears are also tucking hard now with the SS springs and i think it looks like crap and unbalanced (using 5mm spring pads)

Either gonna put back on the 13mm pads or buy coil overs, not sure yet...

w204 is not my daily driver so the car has just been sitting idle, and only drive about 200 miles now on the ss springs
Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 AM

W204 C350
Just to clarify the misinterpretation on post #54... the car is not THAT bouncy, the ride is just a little bit harsh especially on these california roads compared to the oem springs and i've decided to not cut the bump stop. I have actually begun to like them especially on windy roads and sharp turns.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Just to clarify the misinterpretation on post #54... the car is not THAT bouncy, the ride is just a little bit harsh especially on these california roads compared to the oem springs and i've decided to not cut the bump stop. I have actually begun to like them especially on windy roads and sharp turns.
reply found here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...springs-2.html

We are trying to resolve all issues about these springs over there.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM

c300
Hi All,
I wanted to provide my feedback and result of my drop. I also did extensive reading on the forum and went with what everyone recommended. I would agree that the H&R SS are the way to go if you want the lower look. I can confirm that the SS will work with a 4matic. I am very pleased with my drop and the way it looks. The car does ride a bit stiff and you can feel all the road cracks and bumps but I think it’s still a pretty good ride. It doesn’t bother me enough to complain. As for bounciness I do not have this issue. I did not cut my bump stop. My only regret is that I did follow the recommendation of going with the rear 5mm pads. As you can see it does lower the car more in the rear and is not even. You may consider this if you go with the standard H&R sport springs but would opt out if you go with supersport.

FYI: The photos of the drop was the day of the drop so concerned that when it settles that the rear will sit lower. Photos are from an iphone so can post better ones if anyone wants it. They include the before and after on the gap of the front and rear

The setup: 2011 C300 4matic
Tires Toyo Proxy plus 4:
235/35/19 Front
255/30/19 Rear

Rim: 19” Vossen vvs082
19x8.5 (+45mm) Front
19x10 (+58mm) Rear

Springs: H&R Super Sport model 52794-77 show on outside of box. On the spring itself reads 29075

Spring pad from MB: 210 325 0184
Attached Thumbnails CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire-dropped.jpg   CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire-spring.jpg   CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire-front-before.jpg   CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire-after-front.jpg   CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire-rear-before.jpg  

CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire-after-rear.jpg  
Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport
5mm pads

Actually, the car looks good with 5mm pads in my opinion. I have owned lowered cars for 20 years, and I prefer the tucked look over having the rear higher. On my c300, if I measure it, even though the rear may look lower than the front to some people... with a full tank, it actually measures 1.25 inches higher than the front. I wouldn't want it any higher in the rear.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 AM

c300 w204
Bouncy running on SS with w204

Hey Guys,

I don't know why, but i see my w204 with the H&R SS lower than the rest, But its kinda bumpy also any solution for this or its going to be like that always?

Thanks

Tony
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rb23lb
let me know when you put the 13mm pads back on if you like it and it improves anything !

Very curious to see your impression with 13mm pads if its enough to satisfy...

That will save me from buying expensive coil overs if the ride is better with stock pads in the rear...
CHANGED MY PADS BACK TO STOCK.

soooooo much better looking from the rear... doesnt look all off balance like there are a bunch of fat chicks in the back weighing it down all the time now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR TOO BOUNCY! H&R SS Springs & 5mm pads on Stock 18" AMG Wheels & Nitto Motivo Tire