C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Appreciate maintenance advice on leased C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C350
Appreciate maintenance advice on leased C350

I have a three year old C350 that I leased for my wife (first Merc after BMW's). Fortunately I had first 3 services paid for as part of my 'deal'.
I have 35,000 miles and will turn the car in next Feb but will hit the 40,000 service well before that. This one is on me and I was dismayed to see auto trans service needed. I was more dismayed to see that it isn't a simple DIY affair (either is the oil change). The car is immaculate and has been well cared for and I am a believer in doing things correctly. That said I am not nuts about a 600 plus service a few months before I have to turn the car in. I was going to do everything myself but see that isn't an option. Then I figured I would change oil and skip tranny service (I have reset sequence thanks to the help of the board).
Any thoughts comments as to what you would do (or have done) would be helpful. My wife would probably only have 43,000-45,000 at turn in so maybe that falls into a grace period for sevice?
Anyway, love the car and beautifully engineered but the non user friendly maintenance aspect may keep me from another.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Not certain, but I beleive there will be something in the lease agreement stating you must perform "all" services specified by the manufacturer. They may request proof of service and if you don't have it, then you are on the hook for it anyhow.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Reading between the lines, I think, deep down inside, you already know the right thing to do, or you wouldn't be conflicted over its price. When you turn that car in, someone else will likely buy it used, hoping that the first owner took good care of it. Perhaps the standard really is, "What would I do if I was keeping it?"...the car owner's version of "Do unto others...". The world has enough people who only do what's best for them. Sounds like you are not one of them, but there can be a cost for righteousness, but you'll sleep better at night.

And, yes, there is that pesky need to abide by the lease terms.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Actually they are simple DIY affairs.

Originally Posted by bradtj
I have a three year old C350 that I leased for my wife (first Merc after BMW's). Fortunately I had first 3 services paid for as part of my 'deal'.
I have 35,000 miles and will turn the car in next Feb but will hit the 40,000 service well before that. This one is on me and I was dismayed to see auto trans service needed. I was more dismayed to see that it isn't a simple DIY affair (either is the oil change). The car is immaculate and has been well cared for and I am a believer in doing things correctly. That said I am not nuts about a 600 plus service a few months before I have to turn the car in. I was going to do everything myself but see that isn't an option. Then I figured I would change oil and skip tranny service (I have reset sequence thanks to the help of the board).
Any thoughts comments as to what you would do (or have done) would be helpful. My wife would probably only have 43,000-45,000 at turn in so maybe that falls into a grace period for sevice?
Anyway, love the car and beautifully engineered but the non user friendly maintenance aspect may keep me from another.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I'll admit that I don't recall the steps involved in the transmission fluid change, so I won't go there.

As far as changing the oil, you said you were dismayed to learn it is not easy.

I honestly believe that this car is THE single easiest car in existence to change the oil on (ok, don't hold me to that)! You'll need a pump (they're not that expensive, last forever, and you can use on nearly any car).

1. Remove easily accessible filter housing.
2. Replace filter and o-rings. (don't reinstall filter housing yet)
3. Stick tube into dip-stick tube, suck out oil.
4. Pour new oil into the oil filter hole (it's like a built in funnel!)
5. Check oil level, reinstall filter housing.
6. Drink beer.

Last edited by acr2001; 07-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM

C350
I appreciate the comments and there are vallidity in all.
Regarding oil change simplicity, I was never a fan of the pump from the top school and figured a one time purchase of device didn't really make sense. That said the transmission change is the big issue obviously.

I have read post on this but still find it hard to believe that the trans fluid needs change at 40,000 miles and that you can't easily check levels without factory tool or extraordinary effort. So I guess 1) I am questioning the need (unless there is a design flaw) since no other modern vehicle I have come across has this requirement. So I don't feel as if I was hurting the next buyer (MB 'owns' the car now) as much as taking one up the ying yang. It not as if I was not changing oil for 20,000 miles or having bad repaired tires, etc. This is maintenance that I really question. I believe the 40,000 service also calls to replace brake fluid that was changed at 20,000? Wow.
The comment about maintenance required under lease is certainly true. I have not checked independent garages (I live in Chicago area) and this may be an option. That said when I turn the car back and there are no service lights on I think that is pretty much the end of the game. No other lease return (I have had dozens) makes any inquiries on maintenance.
Additionally my 'exceptional' care for the vehicle will certainly put dollars in the MB pocket.

I am afraid that my comments make me sound like a non caring, automotive hating 'cheapskate'. I enjoy cars, like to work on them,
and pride myself in doing the correct maintenance using the best parts.
MB might have just stretched my tolerance a bit on this service requirement and technique, particularly withinn the timing of my lease

Any other thoughts, or ideas are certainly welcome.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Here is a thread from one of our international experts.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...s-60k-kms.html

Regarding brake fluid, no matter what brand of car, it should be replaced every two years. Being a hygroscopic fluid, it absorbs moisture from the air, which deteriorates the fluid.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Regarding oil change simplicity, I was never a fan of the pump from the top school and figured a one time purchase of device didn't really make sense. That said the transmission change is the big issue obviously.

I have read post on this but still find it hard to believe that the trans fluid needs change at 40,000 miles and that you can't easily check levels without factory tool or extraordinary effort. So I guess 1) I am questioning the need (unless there is a design flaw) since no other modern vehicle I have come across has this requirement. So I don't feel as if I was hurting the next buyer (MB 'owns' the car now) as much as taking one up the ying yang. It not as if I was not changing oil for 20,000 miles or having bad repaired tires, etc. This is maintenance that I really question. I believe the 40,000 service also calls to replace brake fluid that was changed at 20,000? Wow.
The comment about maintenance required under lease is certainly true. I have not checked independent garages (I live in Chicago area) and this may be an option. That said when I turn the car back and there are no service lights on I think that is pretty much the end of the game. No other lease return (I have had dozens) makes any inquiries on maintenance.
Additionally my 'exceptional' care for the vehicle will certainly put dollars in the MB pocket.

I am afraid that my comments make me sound like a non caring, automotive hating 'cheapskate'. I enjoy cars, like to work on them,
MB might have just stretched my tolerance a bit on this service requirement and technique, particularly withinn the timing of my lease

My thought is that this series of your posts illustrates why buying an off lease car is a risky proposition.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)

Why would a one time purchase not make sense? You sound like you want to DIY so wouldn't it make sense to invest in something that makes the process easier, cleaner, and cheaper in the future? You complain about stealership prices, yet neglect to see that buying said equipment would save you money in the long run.

Also, I'm not sure at what intervals you changed your ATF in your previous cars, but a quick google search for "common" cars like the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord will show intervals recommended at 40k-50k across several model years and the more careful owners are changing at even lesser miles (30K). So I'm kind of surprised you find 40K hard to believe.

Brake fluid is covered above.

I second RLE's comment on previously leased vehicles.

Whatever your decision OP, good luck! I'm glad that "non user friendly maintenance" is your/your wife's only complaint!

Let us know what you pick for her next.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM

C350
Well it looks like I will have little choice other than to hand the AMEX over to Hans. I take a little offense over comment that I am good example of why not to buy a leased car (which may or may not be a good idea but in this case the comment was aimed at my maintenance habits). I typically do oil changes and maintenance before recommended miles and take meticulous care of all of my cars. I can honestly say that this is the first time I have questioned the factory service requirement of any car I have owned. The 'gentle warning' about the trans while appreciated tells me more that there is something deficient in design INMHO.
In the last decade I have leased the C350 Sport, 3 cadillac CTS (one V) 2 -3 series BMW's, a Mazda Millenia (it handed down a few times with 10 plus years service 150,000 miles zero breakdowns (and no tranny flush). All were maintained to at least the level of the manufacturers recs (the Mazda was given to my son after five years) It does seem as if some maintenance intervals are guided partially by the function of profitability. BMW who offer 'free' oild changes carry there intervals out to an extreme. I cite an internet comment below on the BMW:

BMW’s Free Scheduled Maintenance program means that BMW will perform scheduled maintenance free of charge during the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.

Prior to the advent of BMW Free Scheduled Maintenance, approximate BMW maintenance recommendations were: automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000. Later advances in computer engine management and spark plug technology legitimately allow 60,000-mile spark plug life if not more.

Prior to Free Scheduled Maintenance, you couldn’t change engine oil often enough according to most dealerships. And when the car was in the shop it would often be due for this service or that inspection, all at the owner’s expense.

But once BMW began paying for scheduled maintenance, lo and behold the “schedule” was revised. Now the cars hardly need any maintenance at all. The 1,200-mile break-in service was done away with except for M cars. Engine oil suddenly lasts 15,000 miles (dealers are supposed to use BMW synthetic oil). Manual gearbox and differential oil? No worries there – now BMW says they NEVER need to be changed; it’s “lifetime fill.” Brake fluid and coolant service intervals were doubled with no change in the original BMW brake fluid and anti-freeze dealers are supposed to use.

So, is Free Scheduled Maintenance all about marketing and cost reduction – BMW’s costs? Draw your own conclusions. There is no doubt that many buyers correctly view BMWs as “high maintenance” cars. Nothing can address that more effectively than Free Scheduled Maintenance. But the operative word in the name is “scheduled.” In my opinion, extended service intervals and “lifetime fill” came very close on the heels of Free Scheduled Maintenance.
No disrepect to the MB faithful intended here in any of my comments as I always appreciated advice on these forums.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Just throwing this one out there...MB is paying 5 payments to pull you out of your lease early, if you are under 40K and have 4-5 months left on your C350 it may work in your interest to turn in early and lease another MB. (the only stipulation is that you have to lease or finance a new MB with M-B Finance...no CPO cars will qualify for payment waivers)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:53 AM

C350
Originally Posted by DCubed
Just throwing this one out there...MB is paying 5 payments to pull you out of your lease early, if you are under 40K and have 4-5 months left on your C350 it may work in your interest to turn in early and lease another MB. (the only stipulation is that you have to lease or finance a new MB with M-B Finance...no CPO cars will qualify for payment waivers)
I appreciate the information and was expecting MB to offer an early roll out. Didn't know they were up to five months which is pretty generous. I have around seven left and will not require 40k maintenance for three or four so that may very well be an option to consider. Not sure which automotive 'direction' the wife is leaning towards.Thanks.