C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

X-Pipe is done (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 c300 4m
X-Pipe is done (pics)

A local high end exhaust shop made this gem for me, its 409 stainless pipe custom x pipe. The shop is located in Maryland so if anyone is interested, It was Mandrel Bending Solutions. Cost was a bit more then most of you pay at 250 but this is 100% stainless and custom made. Lifetime warranty etc. Next week i am putting on my OEM amg diffuser and welding on custom tips i bought off ebay from 4amotors. They already have the offset y pipe and are made as a direct weld in for the w204.

Sound wise is AWESOME! not raspy one bit but deep and more base. I am gonna see how I like it this week (I could tolerate a tiny bit louder). If i want more I will delete the 2nd set of resonators on the oem downpipes.
There actually resonators, not cats!

What do ya think?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
They are in fact secondary cats. Absolutely not resonators. If your exhaust shop told you that they are wrong. X-pipe looks good though.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM

2011 c300 4m

Secondary "cats" there really resonators my man. not new to MB cars, just this forum.

from another user:

Originally Posted by glovemoney
So I order and receive my high flow cats today with the intent on using them as a replacement for my secondary cats for the C350. After some hunting and pecking, I find a place willing to them swap them out. I leave my car w/ the shop and 15 minutes later the mech calls me and says that the "secondary cats" are not cats. But are resonators...ie. no filament in them. FWIW, I currently have a resonator delete and x-pipe. He goes on to say I wouldn't want to add a cat to it but straight pipes... I make a quick but confused decision and say ok...

Whatcha think?

Last edited by Crippled; 09-09-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM

c350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Crippled
A local high end exhaust shop made this gem for me, its 409 stainless pipe custom x pipe. The shop is located in Maryland so if anyone is interested, It was Mandrel Bending Solutions. Cost was a bit more then most of you pay at 250 but this is 100% stainless and custom made. Lifetime warranty etc. Next week i am putting on my OEM amg diffuser and welding on custom tips i bought off ebay from 4amotors. They already have the offset y pipe and are made as a direct weld in for the w204.

Sound wise is AWESOME! not raspy one bit but deep and more base. I am gonna see how I like it this week (I could tolerate a tiny bit louder). If i want more I will delete the 2nd set of resonators on the oem downpipes.
There actually resonators, not cats!

What do ya think?

Could you post the dimensions of this part?, im ordering my x-pipe from Mandrel Bending Solutions and the require me to provide them with dimensions and yours is exactly what i want
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10' C300 Sport and 07 Ducati S2R
I'm still not completely understanding the theory behind the Xpipe in our vehicles. If I recall, the Xpipe was a design feature to allow the equalization of output/pressure from high HP motors (something we are lacking). I can't imagine there would be any performance increases as a result of the installation... if anything, wouldn't there be a decrease in low end torque?

If the idea is to get better sound/resonation, then sure, I guess I would understand. I can't imagine anyone would purchase or pay the cost to "upgrade" to an Xpipe for aestethics, as no one is going to be looking under the car.

Now for the quad tip on the back, yes, I think that looks cool... but again, offers no performance gains at all.

(of course if you are changing out the whole exhaust system, why not add the Xpipe... I guess??)

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by boom132
I'm still not completely understanding the theory behind the Xpipe in our vehicles. If I recall, the Xpipe was a design feature to allow the equalization of output/pressure from high HP motors (something we are lacking). I can't imagine there would be any performance increases as a result of the installation... if anything, wouldn't there be a decrease in low end torque?

If the idea is to get better sound/resonation, then sure, I guess I would understand. I can't imagine anyone would purchase or pay the cost to "upgrade" to an Xpipe for aestethics, as no one is going to be looking under the car.

Now for the quad tip on the back, yes, I think that looks cool... but again, offers no performance gains at all.

(of course if you are changing out the whole exhaust system, why not add the Xpipe... I guess??)

Just my 2 cents...
You're correct, we don't do it for power. We do it for the sound it produces.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Mercedes benz c350 sport
nice!!! and yeah its pretty much obvious everyone does it for the sound :P
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM

10' C300 Sport and 07 Ducati S2R
I have to admit... it does look good though!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM

'09 C350
Looks great. I did mine a few months ago with a Magnaflow and it sounds absolutely AMAZING. Mine is a C350 though, so it does sound a little bit deeper. It is absolutely the best mod for money you can get.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by boom132

Just my 2 cents...

I'm with boom132 on this one.

As much hype the "X-pipe" or "resonator removal" style mods gets online, these definitely fall under the category of "must see/hear/experience in person to appreciate".
I fell into the trap with my last vehicle (Acura TL-S) and after experiencing a few years worth of exhaust drone during regular commute hours, I swore I wouldn't do it again.
I definitely appreciate the saying that it takes more engineering effort to make a car silent than it is to make it loud (that or maybe I'm just getting older).

With that note, my vote for best (aftermarket, non cosmetic) bang for the buck mod for the C-class would go to an ECU tune (More HP/Torque/MPG as well as enabling additional features) or some hardwired radar/laser/jammer configuration.

To the OP: Install looks clean. Good thing you're not my neighbor or I might be tempted.

Last edited by edgalang; 07-11-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by vipsa
Looks great. I did mine a few months ago with a Magnaflow and it sounds absolutely AMAZING. Mine is a C350 though, so it does sound a little bit deeper. It is absolutely the best mod for money you can get.

me too
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Looks great bru! I too have a custom X-pipe because when I got mine done, Magnaflow's didn't exist, but I'd rather have a custom piece than any magnaflow any day. Awesome stuff man.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM

'11 C300 Sport 4Matic, 911 Turbo, Fiat Abarth, Ram CTD
Looks great.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM

'07 C320 CDI
Hi all,

I'm a newbie when it comes to the X-pipe.

I noticed that most ppl doing this mod happen to be driving a C300 or C350. In the U.S, Are these models diesel or petrol engines?

I'm from Australia, and mine is a C320 (3.0ltr V6 Diesel)

Would there be any difference in sound quality between the 2 engies if performing this mod?

Last edited by AMG_79; 08-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.