C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dealership problems. Warranty denied

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Dealership problems. Warranty denied

While driving my car I noticed the power steering was going in and out. I then notice smoke coming from the front of the car followed by a loud clanking noise. I pull over immediately to access the situation, that's when I found oil everywhere. I pull the engine cover off followed by the dipstick, dry! I then notice the leak seems to be coming from around the oil filter. I take a rag and tighten the filter as much as I can, then take the oil filler cap off and contemplate dumping oil in there and keep going. I decide it would be better to call roadside assistance and let the dealer take a look at the car. The car ends up and the nearest dealership overnight. I call in the morning to see what's goin on. The dealer informs me that they found the oil filler cap off and this was due to outside influences and would not be covered under warranty. I thought I put the oil cap back on but I try to inform them that that could have been me who removed the oil cap when trying to figure out if I should add oil to the car. I tell them I saw a leak coming from the oil filter and all service has been done at Mercedes dealerships. The dealer tells me they do not cover other Mercedes dealerships service and because they found the oil filler cap off they would not even put it into the shop without charging me. Moral of the story, make sure you tighten your oil caps back.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C350
WOW. That sounds shady as hell. I would lawyer up before giving up on this. Also, moral of the story is don't touch your car when under warranty.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Mazyaradi
While driving my car I noticed the power steering was going in and out. I then notice smoke coming from the front of the car followed by a loud clanking noise. I pull over immediately to access the situation, that's when I found oil everywhere. I pull the engine cover off followed by the dipstick, dry! I then notice the leak seems to be coming from around the oil filter. I take a rag and tighten the filter as much as I can, then take the oil filler cap off and contemplate dumping oil in there and keep going. I decide it would be better to call roadside assistance and let the dealer take a look at the car. The car ends up and the nearest dealership overnight. I call in the morning to see what's goin on. The dealer informs me that they found the oil filler cap off and this was due to outside influences and would not be covered under warranty. I thought I put the oil cap back on but I try to inform them that that could have been me who removed the oil cap when trying to figure out if I should add oil to the car. I tell them I saw a leak coming from the oil filter and all service has been done at Mercedes dealerships. The dealer tells me they do not cover other Mercedes dealerships service and because they found the oil filler cap off they would not even put it into the shop without charging me. Moral of the story, make sure you tighten your oil caps back.
If this was a new car purchase, the warranty is from MB and not the dealer. Immediately call the MB customer service line for assistance.

If this is a used car and not CPO, the warranty may be only from the selling dealer.

It is true that you should not intervene and make adjustments/changes to items you expect to have covered by warranty. If the issue was a loose oil filter, the car no longer has that condition if you tighten it. Another way to handle it is to immediately park the car and call the dealer to come and tow it, or other advice.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 PM

C300
Im waiting to hear back from mbusa before I go the lawyer route. Hopefully they can resolve this situation for me
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM

C300
I'm not too familiar with our cars but I never thought leaving an oil filler cap off will dump all 8-9 quarts of oil in the car. I was always under the assumption that leaving your oil filler cap off will throw a cel or some type of code. I thought these would be tell tale signs that the filler cap was not the actual problem
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Did you have a warning light before the smoke, noise and loss of power?
You should be able to reason with the dealership to have things fixed as long as you are very clear about what happened and very adament that they pay.
If not, arbitration or a lawsuit will be the next step.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM

C300
No warning lights at all. I tried explaining to the dealer to no avail.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM

C300
Out of curiosity does anyone know if there is a oil level sensor that should have warned me when I was low on oil? I believe there is one but has anybody ever got this low oil message that can confirm for me. My car is a 2009 c300 us spec
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
Originally Posted by Mazyaradi
Out of curiosity does anyone know if there is a oil level sensor that should have warned me when I was low on oil? I believe there is one but has anybody ever got this low oil message that can confirm for me. My car is a 2009 c300 us spec
If engine oil level is low you would get a 'Check oil at next refueling' message. I have gotten this message twice prior to 'B' services. The dealership added a quart of oil and the message went away.