C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dilemma - need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Dilemma - need some advice

So here's my concern - I have a 2012 C350 which I absolutely love. It is also my daily driver and I have accepted a new job with a commute into downtown Dallas, equalling 60 miles round trip. I don't really mind the commute time, but I can't help but think I'm running my new luxury car into the ground with the mileage and general wear and tear through rush our traffic and sometimes poor road quality conditions.

So probably my concern is more psychological, but I can't help but think I could have bought a much cheaper car if I were going to be commuting so much. I don't want to destroy my "baby". I'm not really in a position to buy another car or carpool, so that's out. I've thought about trading it in and trying to get something cheaper like a civic, but perhaps I'm just making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sommy
So here's my concern - I have a 2012 C350 which I absolutely love. It is also my daily driver and I have accepted a new job with a commute into downtown Dallas, equalling 60 miles round trip. I don't really mind the commute time, but I can't help but think I'm running my new luxury car into the ground with the mileage and general wear and tear through rush our traffic and sometimes poor road quality conditions.

So probably my concern is more psychological, but I can't help but think I could have bought a much cheaper car if I were going to be commuting so much. I don't want to destroy my "baby". I'm not really in a position to buy another car or carpool, so that's out. I've thought about trading it in and trying to get something cheaper like a civic, but perhaps I'm just making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary.

This is interesting... I just bought my Benz. I just decided to move and take on a commute at 55 miles per day. I now wish I had a Civic but will get killed on the trade in. It's just a car man.. high mileage, low mileage, they are worthless in the end... It's true.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Who on earth wants to be like one of the millions of other Civic drivers bored to death driving to work. Enjoy that beautiful Benz. Enjoy That comfortable, quiet solitude bad *** looking car. You are going to be in that great car for over an hour each way. Think of the enjoyment. Think of the agony of driving a Civic beating you to death along with all the other "girls" on the road with their Civics.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by guitarplayer
Who on earth wants to be like one of the millions of other Civic drivers bored to death driving to work. Enjoy that beautiful Benz. Enjoy That comfortable, quiet solitude bad *** looking car. You are going to be in that great car for over an hour each way. Think of the enjoyment. Think of the agony of driving a Civic beating you to death along with all the other "girls" on the road with their Civics.
^ This posting just turned me right on. Well said. lol
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
I have a 72 mile commute daily. Ironically this is one of the main reasons why I bought the Merc. Part of my joy during the day is the long and fast drive to work.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by Sommy

Years ago, while I still working, my 100 miles round trip in California freeway (the worst traffic of the nation) start from 22 E to 55 N to 91 E to 15 N in the morning (reverse in the evening), the reverse trip are the worst), Over 23 years, I see many accidents on the road, Honda, Nissan, Camry...crumple like a tin can. I see MB is the well built car (most is safety), if I get into an accident, it give me more change to survive than any other car. Start out with 1994 C class.... I replaced the car every 4 or 5 years (depend on how much I drive, but around 150K), it cost me more in maintaining the car, so I sell or trade for a newer MB. Only 1 accident (I ran over a ladder, fall down from a construction truck, damage the whole front end, but I still able to make to work & back home, no leak from the radiator). That's my view of the MB's car. It body is solid build than any other car. Who want a accident, but it happen, MB can give you more protection. You can buy another car, but your family will need you more than the car. Think about your safety first.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Guess I dont belong in this thread since my 2nd bedroom = my office
Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 AM

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Palladium Silver
Enjoy the commute in your Benz. That's only about 15,000 mile a year, which is about average. Driving my Benz is the only way I enjoy driving in the DC traffic everyday. And Dolvio is right, in the end the mileage does not matter much anyway.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 AM

C220 W204
Gave this a deep thought today as well, I'm a operations manager and my job requires me plenty of travel on a daily basis, sometimes it hurts a little thinking that I'm clocking up the mileage on the best car of my current life stage by doing all these driving.

But then I guess its designed to be driven, at the end of the day its not a vehicle that is as unique or exotic as some,its just a car that put some joy into our daily commute to/off work and the random de-tour cruise, if you work hard you'll get something better, for now enjoy the moment with the W204.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Well I'm a new driver and I'll be going to college next year, so I don't really have much experience with putting mileage on a Benz, but I can tell you this:

Our family car (2012 ML550 4Matic) was purchased last February new, and it currently has 39K miles on it, and my parents aren't worried at all about the mileage. MBs have a really strong build, and most of them last a pretty long time, so mileage is probably the least of your concerns.

As said earlier, our '98 ML320 was hit by a wheelbarrow that fell off of a truck in 2004 (at 60 MPH), and my dad sustained no injuries whatsoever. If he was in a civic, let's just say it would've gone through the windshield since there is no engine under the hood to take the hit. And hopefully you care more about living your life and owning 100s of more MBs than just potentially killing yourself if knock-on-wood you do in order to save a couple thousand.

Either way, no matter the mileage, it's going to depreciate terribly either way, and the mileage will hardly impact you, so unless premium gas is a problem (you didn't state it), definitely keep the Benz.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 AM

4matic C300
I do 70+ miles a day. Enjoy the car. In germany these cars as used as taxis, so if you're worried about longevity of these cars you have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM

C43
Thanks for the insight. One other thing I might do is occasionally trade cars with my wife to offset the daily 60 miles on my Benz.