C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 C250: Rattling Noise Coming from Center Console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
2012 C250: Rattling Noise Coming from Center Console

After years of wanting a Mercedes since my toddler days, I finally got a 2012 C250 about 3 weeks ago, it's so beautiful!

For 3 weeks, the car has been doing so well, but this morning on my way to school I started hearing this rattling noise in the area of the center console. When I press down on the center console, it sounds exactly like the noise I'm hearing. So I'm 99% sure that's where it's coming from. For someone who is on the road 3 hours a day, it is EXTREMELY annoying. When I'm on smooth roads I don't really hear it, but as soon as I get to the rough spots, the noise starts again. I turned my music up to try to drown it out, but I could still hear little bits of it and that just made me even more annoyed. This has really depressed me today. My mom's Lincoln is quieter on rough roads than this.

Could someone PLEASE help me out?! Please tell me there is a solution to this
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I don't want to scare you, but I've been in multiple situations involving squeaks, creaks and rattles with my 2009 C300 and my brother's 2008 335i and every time the dealer wouldn't acknowledge a thing.

If you're anything like me, since you drive your car so much, you can very well hear the little annoying noises that shouldn't be happening. Most of my issues with noises have been intermittent, possibly due to temperature or bad luck, so it is extremely difficult to show a mechanic on a ride along. Like right now, the weather just got way cooler and coincidentally I've started hearing a small rattle/creak near my driver side tweeter/door and another really bad rattle/creak behind the rear seats and below the rear window. I'm going to go in hoping they are both rattling when I do, and that my SA or Technician will do the right thing and acknowledge them.

The ONLY time a mechanic voluntarily helped me out was when he denied anything rattling with my sunroof but had them "lubricate" and check it for me in the shop. It fixed the issue.

Another time when they actually agreed to fix a problem was when the "elastic" band behind the passenger seat snapped from my idiot friend putting a large water bottle in the pouch. The band feels like its made of frickin' cardboard and I showed the technician how cheap and easy it is to break it. He tried to argue and convince me that they are very robust and only abuse would cause them to break. He then proceeded to gently pull on the driver side band to prove his point. The look on his face was priceless when the band snapped in his finger. Needless to say he agreed to get them both replaced.

I feel like if you're a young adult, under 25 years old, a service advisor/technician won't take you seriously. They are aggressive with me if I object to anything they say. The advisers tell me to my face that an x-pipe is un-classy, that any thoughts on a sound system will ruin the car, the black rims make it look bad.

Distortion in my speakers? "You must be listening to very loud music all the time, the speakers weren't designed to go as loud as the controls let you go"

Transmission jerks in 1st gear? "Even though that other C300 we just tested doesn't have the same problem, it's still normal because all transmissions are different"

Rattle or wierd noise? "I don't hear anything Rodpwnz" or "That's a normal noise"

I'm assuming your 2012 C250 still has warranty coverage, so you should definitely go in and get it checked out. I can't guarantee they will care or try to help you, but hopefully your dealer is better than the two in my area. If you would rather do it yourself, then I don't know how. Maybe open up the center console and see whats rattling and maybe use some sort of glue or tape to hold it down, I know there is some anti rattle products out there. I'm
thinking about opening up my door sill and pillars also. But I'm going to try to get the dealer to own up and take care of it before I do.

If they ask you to prove it/show them on a test ride, make sure you try to pick the bumpiest, roughest spots on the road possible. Try to go the speed at which it occurs most also. If it happens in the mornings more, go in the morning.

Best of luck Quincy
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C180 Coupé (prev '99 CLK200)
If it helps: i had a noise in my c coupe 2011, it was the little tube for glove box a/c refreshment, it was noisy even on flat highway see here : https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...ml#post5831563

Even if it's not that, removing the glove box gives easy access under the dash and help finding noise.

I still have a noise in the rear deck... unable to find the reason as i'm unable to remove anything i don't understand how to remove the 3rd light and grid behind headrest, and sometimes a noise from the ash tray, when it happen i open the tray and close it and the noise stops... but as the rear deck, i really don't see how to remove the ash tray cover, even after radio and a/c control panel removed it's impossible to access to anything..

Pascal
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM

'13 C63 Sedan
Take it to a dealer. They will fix it. I have a c63 and I had a center console rattle as well. They will take the cover off, pad it up on the inside and put it back on. I cant say that this fixed 100% of the rattling, but it cleared up 80% of it. Don't want to pester them again about it. I even took my car in because my seat started to squeak when I rocked back and forth. Even a stupid thing like that they fixed. I'm not sure if they fixed it because I was driving an AMG or because the dealership was actually helpful. Try different dealers if your main one doesnt want to fix it.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM

2016 C300
Thank you guys so much for replying!

I hope to eventually take it the dealer and let them pad it up.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Mine rattles on rough roads and found its my instrument cluster. If I push on it with my hands the rattle goes away.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport
I have the same rattling issue with the brushed aluminum on the center console of my 2008 C300.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
The rings on the instrument cluster can rattle badly. I fixed mine some but it comes back every so often. I took everything apart, took the rings off and tried to fill them with some putty the dealer had stuck somewhere else.

Getting to that piece isn't trivial and it can make the problem worse if you aren't careful. Mine started after the dealer removed the dash trim to do some needless diagnostic work. I'm trying to get them to replace the part but they have been reluctant so far.