C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Proper way to Install Trunklid Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 4MATIC
Proper way to Install Trunklid Spoiler?

So I have recently purchased the Renn Motorsport carbon fiber spoiler from http://www.sonictuning.com/brands/re...t-spoiler.html

I understand you need to seriously clean the area where the 3M adhesive tape will be touching. I've wiped down the area completely dry and will also be using 75% rubbing alcohol to clean it more.

I want to make sure this is done absolutely right, the first time I try putting it on. I was given a small packet of 3M automotive adhesion promoter to use for installing the spoiler. How exactly do I apply this stuff? To the area on the car where the spoiler will be? under the spoiler before putting it on?

The spoiler already has the 3M double sided tape on it. Hopefully I can get it on today!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Use the promoter on the trunk lid. You need to do the cleaning just before putting the spoiler on.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I appreciate that you asked for the "proper" way, and not just the easiest or most convenient way. They are not the same. Most folks will use the 3M tape and adhesive promoter, and the odds seem to be that most will be successful. However, there have been enough reports of spoilers coming loose, that this method has what I consider an unacceptable failure rate. Here is why....

Adhesives have process specs which, if not adhered to (no pun intended!), reduce their ability to maintain the hold. The specs include surface preparation, temperatures of the surface receiving the part, the part being applied, and the adhesive, the amount and duration of pressure and the consistency of the pressure along the length of the part. I have (unfortunately) had experience in industry with the failure of adhesives, resulting in repairs to a large population of vehicles.

Keep in mind, if a spoiler comes loose, it's at just about the same level of the driver's head right behind the windshield of the car behind you on the highway. Is that worth taking an additional step? I think so. Here's what I have done.

First, plan on doing all the steps required for the tape, including being sure both the car and the part are at the proper temperature. Depending where you live, this may have to wait a few weeks/months unless you have a heated garage. Then, before applying the spoiler, take the additional step of running a bead of urethane (comes in a tube, like toothpaste, is black, and is offered as a MB part number, although I don't know that number, sorry). Apply the urethane parallel to, but not close enough to squish on, the tape for the full length of the spoiler. Then be VERY sure you have the right location (have a friend help), as once the urethane bonds, it will be quite secure, just like a windshield, for example. Tape the spoiler onto the body with "blue tape" at the middle and ends and let the car sit for a day to be sure there are no body motions.

That is my "proper" installation and how my roof and decklid spoiler are held in place. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Its right what has been said above, if you are a good DIYselfer! If not, just go to a body shop shell out 50 $ and your spoiler gonna be professionally installed, by minutes.
No drama, no headaches for you (AND OTHERS ) ...you know better safe then sorry....

Last edited by vsix; 01-12-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by vsix
Its right what has been said above, if you are a good DIYselfer! If not, just go to a body shop shell out 50 $ and your spoiler gonna be professionally installed, by minutes.
No drama, no headaches for you (AND OTHERS ) ...you know better safe then sorry....
Bingo! That's what it cost....fifty bucks!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM

JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Bingo! That's what it cost....fifty bucks!
Its your problem if you are a lousy buisenessman and pay more
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM

2009 C300 4MATIC
Couldn't I also possibly use a heat gun to the area of the trunk where the spoiler will be to promote a stronger adhesion? Also, this is a link to the adhesion promoter that came with the spoiler: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

From what I'm reading it's actually a little sponge applicator that is soaked with the adhesion promoter.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Das Benzo
Couldn't I also possibly use a heat gun to the area of the trunk where the spoiler will be to promote a stronger adhesion? Also, this is a link to the adhesion promoter that came with the spoiler: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

From what I'm reading it's actually a little sponge applicator that is soaked with the adhesion promoter.
Good luck with that!

And, how do you know when you are at the proper temp? Perhaps one of those laser guns which reads out temp of the surface you aim it at? If you're that good with a heat gun (which would scare the hell out of me for a painted surface), you also somehow have to get the full width of the car to that temp level essentially simultaneously.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Just use 3m double sided tape, super easy...no need to get all technical on such a basic mod...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by caligreenzzz
Just use 3m double sided tape, super easy...no need to get all technical on such a basic mod...
As long as he doesnt screw it up...one second without concentration and the wing doesnt sit properly, we all know with 3M you only got one shot...Id still say body shop...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
How one approaches this issue is partly technical, partly philosophical. Life offers an array of quick and easy solutions to challenges, with their attendant risks. There are also more detailed and thorough approaches to these issues. Whether one takes the quick and easy or the detailed and thorough depends on your personal approach and how you value the quality and risks of the outcome. I suspect the those who have less interest in a more rigorous process also have less concern about the risk to the guy in the following car. Figure out what's important to you and you'll know what technical path to follow.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
I installed an OEM spoiler today in the afternoon around 2pm and it was about 75% outside today. My car has been under the sun since 9am. I cleaned the surface and continually wiped it down with terri cloth soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol. I wiped it down probably a total of 15x and each wipe I used a clean area of the cloth and resoaked with alcohol. Also made sure I didn't see any dirt come on the cloth and did not touch the trunk with my finger so I don't get oil skin on any part of it. Once that was done I used 3m adhesive promoter pads and wiped it on a few times. Then installed the spoiler. Thanks to some how to videos I was able to apply it easily doing the corners first to line it up correct and then pull on the red backing from one side first and work my way to the other side. I then blue taped the heck out and it still sitting under the sun.

I prepped the spoiler about a week ago with the same exact method and used 3m VHB (very high bond) acrylic double sided tape. A week before that I prepped a little bit of the spoiled and put a bit of the 3M VHB tape on it. A few days after that I tried removing it and it was very hard to remove and it left some of the black foam on the spoiler so I had to clean it off again. When I was removing the 3M tape, it was really tacky and soft at the same time..like freshly chewed up gum which is good for elasticity IMO. I ended up with ***** of it since I couldn't pull it off all at once. Only like 3 inches at a time and had to roll it off with my finger and then pull off what I've done and do it again.

This was my car after I was done. Going to leave the tape on there probably till tomorrow morning.

Last edited by aznmode; 03-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
14' E63S
I think the "a bit of the VHB tape" is a deffinet under statement lol!

Hopefully you got it to sit properly.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
I agree, a little overkill on the painters tape. Looks like you are actually going to paint the trunk!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
Haha. better safe than sorry. BTW VHB is the 3m double sided tape I used to attach the spoiler. VHB = very high bond. I'll update my post.

Last edited by aznmode; 03-14-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 PM

2013 C300 4matic
wow... is that necessary to have that amount of tape? haha

I received mine few days ago but I probably wouldn't install it until April or May when the weather gets warmer