C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My New 2014 C350 - Quad Exhaust Mockup Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C350 Sport
My New 2014 C350 - Quad Exhaust Mockup Opinions / Advice

Hey guys, thanks to all the wonderful information on this forum, I was able to order my C350 in December with the Dynamic Handling Package. Looks like it was one of the last months to order a C350 from the Sindelfingen factory.

At the dealership

The order:

792 Palladium Silver

315 Advanced Agility Package: Parameter
213 : Parameter Steering
428 : Steering Wheel Shift Paddles
483 : Advanced Agility Package (Special Order)
786 : 18-Inch AMG Twin 5-Spoke Alloy Wheel

319 Lighting Package: Bi-Xenon Headlamps
608 : Intelligent Highbeam Control
615 : Bi-Xenon Active Light System

320 320 Multimedia Package: 7.0" Color Display
U71 : DVD Coding
218 : Rearview Camera
512 : COMAND w/Navigation and Voice Control

731 Burl Walnut Wood Trim

So, now I've got the itch to personalize the car even more. Clear side markers are already on the way along with stainless steel door pins.

I also plan on removing the stock resonator and installing a 2.5" x-pipe + two 2.5" bottle resonators in its place (I understand this will have almost zero effect on performance but, a subtle change to the exhaust note).

That just leaves a C63 diffuser / muffler / quad-tips job. I love the C63 diffuser and quad tip look, but I don't want my car to look like something it isn't.

So, I've been toying around with options for a different quad tip setup. I really like the simplicity of round stainless tips, both rolled over and straight. The BMW M6 setup is particularly clean, in my opinion.

I've tried to borrow the M6's look and merge it with the C63 diffuser. The exhaust tips are snatched from a 2012 M6 stock photo and the diffuser is from a C63 stock photo. So, to be clear, it's heavily photoshopped and not perfectly to scale.

In the M6, the dual tips are slightly closer together and offset to the outer edge of the exhaust opening in the bumper. I liked the offset instead of center placement, so I used that and I pulled the pipes further apart.

What do you guys think? I want a custom look without someone first thinking it's a C63. Things I'm still thinking about are pipe diameter, spacing, placement (centered / offset), single or double wall, and rolled or plain edge.

Thanks!

Last edited by coolal; 03-11-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Congrats on your special order!

I got the "Advanced Agility Package" as well. As for mods...

My must haves (on ANY CAR)...
Tints
Hardwired radar detector
Stickier (than factory) Tires

Nice to Have...
Wider Wheels (not larger diameter...but larger WIDTH...for even stickier tires)
ECU tune (optimized for 91 octane)
...and my most recent discovery an aerodynamic chin spoiler.
(look at this chart of AVG MPG and you can guess when I put the spoiler on).

Keep in mind this is for a 300+ HP sedan. On my previous car (2002 Acura TL-S) I was managing around 24 MPG per tank with less power even after all the mods.

IMO...For best bang-for-the-buck upgrades, I'd probably leave the rear diffuser last since the ones I listed above yielded real-world gains, considering the rear diffuser probably costs as much as a front chin spoiler. However it would be nice if someone else did a MPG chart before and after a diffuser install for educational purposes. I might just eat my words regarding my last statement.

Last edited by edgalang; 03-11-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
No one is going to think you're driving a C63 unless you start throwing badges on the trunk.
I would go with the tried-and-true look of oval AMG tips if you are using an OEM AMG diffuser. But IMO if you want it to be "custom" looking, an OEM AMG diffuser is not a good place to start.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
I like the circular tip look. I think if you get the right size tips and space them out enough to fill the outlet, it'd look just as good as the oval tips!

Beautiful car! I love the palladium silver.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 AM

2014 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by edgalang
Congrats on your special order!

I got the "Advanced Agility Package" as well. As for mods...

My must haves (on ANY CAR)...
Tints
Hardwired radar detector
Stickier (than factory) Tires

Nice to Have...
Wider Wheels (not larger diameter...but larger WIDTH...for even stickier tires)
ECU tune (optimized for 91 octane)
...and my most recent discovery an aerodynamic chin spoiler.
(look at this chart of AVG MPG and you can guess when I put the spoiler on).

Keep in mind this is for a 300+ HP sedan. On my previous car (2002 Acura TL-S) I was managing around 24 MPG per tank with less power even after all the mods.

IMO...For best bang-for-the-buck upgrades, I'd probably leave the rear diffuser last since the ones I listed above yielded real-world gains, considering the rear diffuser probably costs as much as a front chin spoiler. However it would be nice if someone else did a MPG chart before and after a diffuser install for educational purposes. I might just eat my words regarding my last statement.
Thanks for the info! I forgot to add that I'll be doing tints soon. I agree it's a "must do". I'm thinking of Huper Optik Ceramic 40.

BTW, on your fuelly chart, when exactly did you get the ECU tune? At first blush, I'd think that would have a lot more impact on MPG than extra downforce from a lip up front. I'd love to see that investigated more!

Originally Posted by JaredP
No one is going to think you're driving a C63 unless you start throwing badges on the trunk.
I would go with the tried-and-true look of oval AMG tips if you are using an OEM AMG diffuser. But IMO if you want it to be "custom" looking, an OEM AMG diffuser is not a good place to start.
In Los Angeles, I've seen a lot of "posers" who wish they had a C63. So, I guess the goal isn't to look "custom" as much as "unique". I know, personally, when I see quad AMG tips on a w204, I wait for the V8 growl. If not, I start to think someone was wishing they had something that they don't.

I agree that an OEM C63 diffuser isn't the best way to start if I want to look unique. But the only other option is carbon fiber and that's not a look i'm searching for.

Originally Posted by Richard2011
I like the circular tip look. I think if you get the right size tips and space them out enough to fill the outlet, it'd look just as good as the oval tips!

Beautiful car! I love the palladium silver.
Thanks for your comments! I think it'll be one of those situations where it looks bad until it looks perfect. I just need to fight the right size and spacing...
Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by coolal
BTW, on your fuelly chart, when exactly did you get the ECU tune? At first blush, I'd think that would have a lot more impact on MPG than extra downforce from a lip up front. I'd love to see that investigated more!
I have install dates documented in this thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post5955620

I primarily got the chin spoiler to cover a blemish I got by tapping a (what looked like) run-away law mower wheel during my commute home (the wheel was constantly being propelled by drivers hitting it like a pinball).

It was definitely not my intention for the spoiler to be functional. My theory is that instead of adding downforce, it instead did the opposite by lowering the car's cd. Perhaps the added length up front helps cut the air better? Surprising none the less.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
14' E63S
Dam that is a sweet looking ride man. One thing though is you need to drop it a little bit.
And if you are going with the custom exhaust look with the AMG Diffuser. Why not still keep it as a dual and not a quad.

Fit something like this?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM

2014 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Andriy242
Dam that is a sweet looking ride man. One thing though is you need to drop it a little bit.
And if you are going with the custom exhaust look with the AMG Diffuser. Why not still keep it as a dual and not a quad.
With Los Angeles potholes, speed bumps, and steep driveways, lowering the suspension wouldn't be an option. But I do like the look of a slightly lowered car!

Thanks for the comments. I was toying around with what Carlsson did with the exhaust. Feels a bit large to me though, but it's actually more along the lines of the 2015 exhaust.

Here's where I am on my mockup. Made the pipes a bit larger and now I've spaced them evenly within the opening. I think this is what I'll take to the exhaust shop.

Last edited by coolal; 03-13-2014 at 04:35 AM.