C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Looking to buy a used C300, is the GPS worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Looking to buy a used C300, is the GPS worth it?

Hello,

I’m looking to buy a used C300 between 08-10 and I have some questions about GPS below:

1) 1) Is this an option you think was worth it and should I only buy models that have this?

2) 2) How does the system stay up to date? Do I need to buy discs?

3) 3) Is the GPS the same on all models 2008 and up or does it evolve?
4)

4) Can you input a specific address?

5) Any maintenance issues, does it get stuck or rattle?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
1) yes
2) Yes
3) No/Yes
4) Yes
5) No
Old 02-07-2015, 04:08 AM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
what GPS are you talking about?
the navigation on the NTG4.5 COMAND or the becker map pilot?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:49 AM

C300
Thank you for the replies guys.

Edgalang,

Can you expand on number 3, which model year does it evolve?

Doa,

I was referring to the navigation system as a whole where you press the button and it pops up as opposed to the regular non-navigation screen. I think I may be referring to the NTG4.5 COMAND?

I've just started doing research on it, I've been looking at 08-10 models.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
ah pre facelift is the NTG 4 COMAND with the screen that pops out idd
imo a mercedes without COMAND is just not acceptable
Old 02-07-2015, 04:29 PM

2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
I believe the multimedia package -- which is the package that the nav system comes in -- includes the HK Logic 7 sound system as well. In my opinion, it's FAR superior to the stock sound system and definitely a must.

I also REALLY recommend the premium 1 package; my first W204 (2009) didn't have it and I missed the heated seats, auto-dim rear view mirrors, garage door opener, sirius sat radio, memory driver settings, and automatic wipers.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:48 PM

2014 C300 4MATIC
I second the premium package. Absolutely love it. The speakers are awesome. I will never have a car without auto dimming mirrors again
Old 02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I have a 2012 C350 and I find that the navigation is OK. My 2013 Hyundai's navigation is more accurate and has more POIs. But overall I wouldn't buy a MB without one.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
I wouldn't buy the car without Comand...

Comand does update every model year, even if only slightly. I had a 2013 C300 that I lost in a car accident and purchased a 2014 C300 and I notice slight adjustments in Comand, including NAV/GPS, in even that small a time frame. Obviously, you wouldn't buy a new model year just for a Comand upgrade (especially without any other tweaks - which I can't find between the 2013 and 2014 C300), but it does evolve.

Some people like the GPS on their phone, but I find the in car one to be a LOT easier to use, safer, and far more accurate; at least where I live.

IMHO don't buy the car without P1 or the Multimedia Package.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I guess I'll be the only one on this post who doesn't need the GPS/Navi built in.

I just use google maps on my smartphone. I have created a small dock to fit into dash crevice, and my device has a 5.5 inch screen so its not hard to see. I always have it plugged in to the aux port to play my music anyways. I use voice commands to start the navigation, and the music is lowered when voice guidance occurs. I accept calls via bluetooth and have an app setup to disable the aux port during calls so that music stops, and then after the call music will resume.

Obviously the $3,000ish navigation system would be nice, but I'm fine with my current setup.

So to answer your question:

1) Is it worth it? To me, not really.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
I guess I'll be the only one on this post who doesn't need the GPS/Navi built in.
Obviously the $3,000ish navigation system would be nice, but I'm fine with my current setup.

To some extend I would agree. However the "$2,790 Multimedia Package" comes with other options, knowing what I know now, I would never go without; and that is the upgraded audio (7-channel surround sound). I've been in loaner cars without this option and the sound quality is drastically inferior. With how awesome smart phones are progressing, I might try going without a NAV someday, however I'll never go with base audio ever again.

Plus I think it also includes a rear backup camera. Not sure about 2008 though.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
My first Benz did not come with the navi/mulit media package or the premium 1 package. But now on my 2nd Benz I have all of those options and I will never buy another one without them. The HK audio is 10 times better then the normal audio. I also think the Navi should come standard in all cars these days.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 Lux
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz

I just use google maps on my smartphone. I have created a small dock to fit into dash crevice, and my device has a 5.5 inch screen so its not hard to see. I always have it plugged in to the aux port to play my music anyways. I use voice commands to start the navigation, and the music is lowered when voice guidance occurs. I accept calls via bluetooth and have an app setup to disable the aux port during calls so that music stops, and then after the call music will resume.

The big screen does look nice, but the GPS/navigation isn't that good. I was told by dealers that the GPS uses Tom Tom maps, which I think is inferior to Garmin's system. Google maps uses Garmin and is much more reliable. So I still use iphone's Google maps if I need traffic info and/or a clearer direction.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by kev10
The big screen does look nice, but the GPS/navigation isn't that good. I was told by dealers that the GPS uses Tom Tom maps, which I think is inferior to Garmin's system. Google maps uses Garmin and is much more reliable. So I still use iphone's Google maps if I need traffic info and/or a clearer direction.
This is also true.....until you reach areas without cell phone signals....then you have nothing. (speaking from personal experience travelling through mountains to ski resorts)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by awstansbury
I believe the multimedia package -- which is the package that the nav system comes in -- includes the HK Logic 7 sound system as well. In my opinion, it's FAR superior to the stock sound system and definitely a must.

I also REALLY recommend the premium 1 package; my first W204 (2009) didn't have it and I missed the heated seats, auto-dim rear view mirrors, garage door opener, sirius sat radio, memory driver settings, and automatic wipers.
I think HK was only in 2008-2009. My 2010 does not have HK Logic 7. As far as GPS goes, it's good if you have address saved and you can't get GPS or data signal on your phone.. Otherwise, it's not as useful as your smartphone IMO. Entering the address and saying the address is very cumbersome. You can't even say "find Starbucks" or type in "Starbucks". If you wan't to say an address, you have specify City first, then you specify the street name, and then say the location or house number. Same as when typing. It's not very advanced. I can find an address or POI on my phone so much faster.

But as far as aesthetic goes, it's worth getting on the 2008-2011 models since they usually don't add too much to the used price of the car and it makes the interior look better IMO.

Last edited by aznmode; 02-10-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Originally Posted by edgalang
To some extend I would agree. However the "$2,790 Multimedia Package" comes with other options, knowing what I know now, I would never go without; and that is the upgraded audio (7-channel surround sound). I've been in loaner cars without this option and the sound quality is drastically inferior. With how awesome smart phones are progressing, I might try going without a NAV someday, however I'll never go with base audio ever again.

Plus I think it also includes a rear backup camera. Not sure about 2008 though.
True, I've been thinking of replacing my bose setup with better speakers if they start distorting sound. I have a small subwoofer installed, and I'm in no way an audiophile, so I may not be as particular. My mom's S550 has the HK system and its nice but I guess my ears aren't trained enough.

This is also true.....until you reach areas without cell phone signals....then you have nothing. (speaking from personal experience travelling through mountains to ski resorts)
It has happened to me before in no signal areas, but I've learned to use Google's download map function. I have a 50 km x 50 km area downloaded for offline use, and if I'm going on a trip I'll be sure to download the area I'm going to be in. The functionality is limited, and I can definitely see where it would fall short if I'm unprepared.

So yes, those speakers and extras would be nice, but for 99% of my days, I'm still not sure if the multi-media package is worth it for me. I just make do with what I can. If I could go back, I would rather put the extra 3k towards a C350
Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
Since you're buying used, and a 08-10 model...

Yes the gps is worth the extra money, especially at used prices. New... eh its just weird not to have it in a car like this.

You update via dvd. Since you would have the model with ntg 4 you can just buy cheap copies on ebay, etc.

in my2012 the nav hardward went to ntg4.5 not a ton of difference, but you can get the system flashed with firmware updates. It's an evolving system.

Yup, specific addresses. It kinda sucks at searching for POI though. Easier to do it on my phone and then enter the address.

Maintenance.... the older ones are pop up, but I have the newer fixed one. Not an issue I've heard a lot of complaints about.