C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C220 CDI w204 ESP/ MIL / Cold misfire / stalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C220 CDI Sports Auto, 2008 with OM646.811 engine and 5 speed auto gearbox 722.640
C220 CDI w204 ESP/ MIL / Cold misfire / stalling

Hi Guys, This is my first post...Yaay!

MY OM646.811 C220 cdi W204 would occasionally stall or may misfire on cold or sometime warm as well leading to ESP error (attached) or when moving from standstill to attain speed ,I feel a dip just when the car is building up torque and the ESP / MIL would come on and car would go in a limp mode. On next engine start the ESP light goes away but MIL stays.

I used a cheap OBD scanner which showed P0087 and P0088 which is low and high fuel pressure related. To rule out; today I took the car to one of the garage who have star diagnostic (output attached ) and the guy said it "could be!!" Quality control valve (QCV)/PCV.

Star error codes 22E7-005 and 2075-009

I wanted second opinion on this hence here,..

The issue is that the car when the fault is cleared I can drive on motorways for a very long time and its only when I am attempting to overtake or rev dropping during gearshift and going up causes this issue. Also from stand still to floor down I feel a judder/blip/dip (don't know how to explain and then it is fine).

I too thought it feels like fuel related issue. There is no other fault code registered and same comes back when cleared. Can QCV/PCV be the culprit ?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails C220 CDI w204 ESP/ MIL / Cold misfire / stalling-screen-shot-2015-05-29-19.44.18.png   C220 CDI w204 ESP/ MIL / Cold misfire / stalling-car-dash.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
There are 2 valves that control fuel pressure. The quantity control valve that regulates how much fuel is entering the main fuel pump and the pressure control valve that releases fuel pressure from the fuel rail.

The pressure control valve is fully closed in most conditions. It is only used on CDI3 and later engines when the fuel temp is below 15-20C or during the first 1-2mins of engine running.

If the fault is occurring when the ambient temps are above 20C or after at least 2 mins of engine running then the problem is most likely the quantity control valve jamming. The valve is relatively simple to replace.

The ESP light is only on because it cant regulate torque well enough to regulate wheel spin when the engine ECU doesn't have control of the fuel pressure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ausmbtech:
hcolonne (12-03-2016), Jaques le Roux (02-05-2018), Mihai Baltag (10-15-2020)
Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 AM

C220 CDI Sports Auto, 2008 with OM646.811 engine and 5 speed auto gearbox 722.640
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
There are 2 valves that control fuel pressure. The quantity control valve that regulates how much fuel is entering the main fuel pump and the pressure control valve that releases fuel pressure from the fuel rail.

The pressure control valve is fully closed in most conditions. It is only used on CDI3 and later engines when the fuel temp is below 15-20C or during the first 1-2mins of engine running.

If the fault is occurring when the ambient temps are above 20C or after at least 2 mins of engine running then the problem is most likely the quantity control valve jamming. The valve is relatively simple to replace.

The ESP light is only on because it cant regulate torque well enough to regulate wheel spin when the engine ECU doesn't have control of the fuel pressure.
Many many thanks Ausmbtech for a logical explanation. I'll get quality control valve replaced and feed back in few days so all members can benifit from this knowledge base.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:19 PM

RESOLVED - C220 CDI w204 ESP/ MIL / Cold misfire / stalling

Many thanks Ausmbtech. I replaced the faulty valve with a new one - £97.05 (Original Merc part - price including VAT). It was fairly simple to replace and the whole job took no more than 15-20 minutes.
No errors logged on ECU, no high low rail pressure errors etc etc and the car is back to normal. In fact I can feel engine a lot smoother at idle. In the past when previous valve was dying or went dead in the end; I could see the RPM needle a bit erratic (+- 100RPM approx) even at constant speed with a cruise control.

One other observation is; when I start the car i.e. at ignition, just before cranking stage. I can some time feel the sender unit in the fuel tank gushing fuel into front part of the car. Like if you open a tap connected to hose pipe. it is a 1-2 second liquid travel sound/effect from rear to front and vanishes.
Is this normal to have this effect/sound ? or I am getting paranoid!

Back to the point, the original problem is now resolved with a simple fix. Thanks once again. Hope this helps other members on the forum.
for reference photo of part attached.
Attached Thumbnails C220 CDI w204 ESP/ MIL / Cold misfire / stalling-qcv.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Excellent result.

I do hear the tank fuel pump charging the system too so it must be normal.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220
PM sent.

I have exactly the same issue with my W204 C220. Need help sourcing the QCV in the UK.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM

I bought it from ebay from Euro Commercials (South Wales Ltd)

Phone:01633|284934

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/191533518965?

The part number is A6460740484 which is also fitted in sprinter. If not main dealer sell it for 80 plus vat.

Or you can contact Mercedes Benz of Newcastle, they normally offer 15-20% discount on original parts. I have used them before

Phone:01912267400

These details are from vendor websites so I hope I am not breaching any privacy rules.

good Luck
The following users liked this post:
Mihai Baltag (10-15-2020)
Old 10-05-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GermanWhip
PM sent.

I have exactly the same issue with my W204 C220. Need help sourcing the QCV in the UK.

Also ensure your fuel system (line) is clean, filter, sender unit (not clogged up) etc etc.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220
Hey guys.

So a bit of an update. Got my new QCV valve today (Thanks to Atom Ant for the recommendations). I installed it, cranked it and the car seemed to fire up ok but died after a few seconds.

I installed the original valve, same thing. Car died a few seconds after firing up. However, all is not lost though. I noticed that if i gave the car a little gas for the first 5 seconds, the car settled down and doesn't die.

This made me think that because i've lost a bit of fuel during the valve transfer, there's air in the system perhaps?

I replaced the original valve with the new one and did the same thing, held the gas for a couple of seconds and the dying goes away. Took her for a lengthy spin just now and everything seems fine. Car feels a lot smoother and the revs are no longer erratic. The car now starts and doesn't require any kind of throttle to keep her alive.

I think its fixed but i'm just a little worried about the stalling after changing the valve. Any thoughts?
Mihai Baltag (10-15-2020)
Old 10-08-2015, 02:51 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GermanWhip
Hey guys.

So a bit of an update. Got my new QCV valve today (Thanks to Atom Ant for the recommendations). I installed it, cranked it and the car seemed to fire up ok but died after a few seconds.

I installed the original valve, same thing. Car died a few seconds after firing up. However, all is not lost though. I noticed that if i gave the car a little gas for the first 5 seconds, the car settled down and doesn't die.

This made me think that because i've lost a bit of fuel during the valve transfer, there's air in the system perhaps?

I replaced the original valve with the new one and did the same thing, held the gas for a couple of seconds and the dying goes away. Took her for a lengthy spin just now and everything seems fine. Car feels a lot smoother and the revs are no longer erratic. The car now starts and doesn't require any kind of throttle to keep her alive.

I think its fixed but i'm just a little worried about the stalling after changing the valve. Any thoughts?
Awesome - good to hear issue is fixed. I too had this issue for for first 2-3 minutes and then it was sorted. The ESP warring just disappeared and never came back - Just Keep an eye on it and if it does not come back then you will forget about it as if it was never there

when you press the gas on idle and rev high 3k plus is there any sort of smoke from exhaust. I just curious to know the color of the smoke.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 w204
Valve location

Hi just to confirm where is the location for the qvc valve

Originally Posted by atom-ant
Many thanks Ausmbtech. I replaced the faulty valve with a new one - £97.05 (Original Merc part - price including VAT). It was fairly simple to replace and the whole job took no more than 15-20 minutes.
No errors logged on ECU, no high low rail pressure errors etc etc and the car is back to normal. In fact I can feel engine a lot smoother at idle. In the past when previous valve was dying or went dead in the end; I could see the RPM needle a bit erratic (+- 100RPM approx) even at constant speed with a cruise control.

One other observation is; when I start the car i.e. at ignition, just before cranking stage. I can some time feel the sender unit in the fuel tank gushing fuel into front part of the car. Like if you open a tap connected to hose pipe. it is a 1-2 second liquid travel sound/effect from rear to front and vanishes.
Is this normal to have this effect/sound ? or I am getting paranoid!

Back to the point, the original problem is now resolved with a simple fix. Thanks once again. Hope this helps other members on the forum.
for reference photo of part attached.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:28 PM

Hi @asarwar2 - Sorry for the delay in replying. I have attached a photo with arrow pointing to part; I took today. Hope this helps.
Carsy (05-23-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM

C220 w204
Cheers alot buddy will try today fingers crossed

Hi @asarwar2 - Sorry for the delay in replying. I have attached a photo with arrow pointing to part; I took today. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 AM

C220 CDI W204 2007 (646811)
Question Same issue: C220 CDI W204 2007 A/T

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech

Hi Everyone,

Firstly would like to say thank you very much for the info in this thread. Helped me better diagnose this issue on my C220 A/T CDI W204 (646811) (208000 km)

Experiencing the exact same issues mentioned above, with a slight variance and the reason for posting.

History:
First time this happened:
Driving on the high way 120km/h .
ESP/ABS error appeared.
Limp Mode
Pulled over. Restarted the car, but ESP error remained and had to drive back home in limp mode
Took car to Mercedes dealership
They said it was the ESP unit
At great cost, had the ESP unit replaced

But now still get the error with the only difference being after restart, the ESP clears but Engine check light stays on.

Mercedes dealership thought it was injector 3. to test that. the swapped it with one of the other injectors and could not repeat the fault.
(If the fault followed the injector, it would point to an injector issue they said)

Mercedes as a result now, can not find the exact issue and want to replace the HP pump and all the injectors (NOT going to happen) Car is worth less than that.

anyhow: I have a iCarsoft DTC reader.

I removed the QCV unit the weekend to inspect it and test it.
Solenoid is working when applying 12VDC over the connector points on it.
Screen on the unit is intact and seals are fine. (A few fillings/debris in the screen)
Cleaned the contact pins and screen

Question: Could the QCV still be faulty though in the sense that it could be intermittent perhaps ?

Main reason for this post is linked to QCV and P0087 ( I have received P0088 before as well when this problem appeared )

Some extra information:

I also replaced the fuel filter the weekend(Prior to opening and cleaning the QCV), and since then when accelerating and engine revs over 2500 rpm under load, the car shakes and shudders.
I have experienced this before and it is usually related to not enough fuel available (Usually linked to blocked fuel filter) . Strange thing being that this is a new fuel filter and this problem did not happen with the previous old one that was 6 months old. ( I suspect faulty fuel filter in this case or some other issue e.g: tank pump, however testing flow from tank pump and it gives a good stream)

Yesterday I did a 170km trip.
Full tank
Added fuel injector cleaner
Shuddering under heavier accelation, but could do 120km/h with very little shuddering.
ESP issues when going through toll gate and accelerating out from pay station.

This morning, early going to work
Started fine
Less erratic idle, but not quite 100% (since A/C was on and pushed the idle to ~800 rpm) (When A/c off, idle at ~650rpm has terrible rough idle when standing)
Lots of stop/start traffic
No ESP issues though
(Maybe injector cleaner is helping?)

N.B: Been running a 5% Biodiesel mix for the past 7 years on the car and even before this when I bought it (with 140000km) it had a very minor rev variation when drive at 100-120 km/h)
And also experienced rough gear changes : 2nd to 3rd
Needle would have slight movements but speed remains constant. I though this was normal but, guess that was perhaps the starting indication to current issue)

Any suggestions to my predicament would be of great help ��

Last edited by Jaques le Roux; 02-07-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 AM

C220 CDI W204 2007 (646811)
Good morning all,

FYI: Latest Fault codes I picked up over the past day

Engine DTC Fault Code:
P0087
P0088

and..
P22E7
P22F9
P2048

Transmission DTC:
P2638

After Clearing DTC fault Codes yesterday morning: Recent Errors that appeared the afternoon, and this morning
Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 AM

W205
at first... please clean your engine. it sucks.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 AM

w211 e220cdi
Hi all,
how you doing?
hope this thread is still active, if so please excuse my late reply, Also if it sounds like im hijacking the thread...im sorry, please excuse me

I plugged a W211 , E220 cdi , 170hp , 2007. into a generic scan tool. ( Not star)
It came back with a code 2075-9 .. & a description

Check system high pressure control.
Max pressure exceeded via quantity control valve.

I posted this on your thread atom-ant as i entered my code into google & the title of c220 & your code 2075-009, so i read down your page.

so i hope you dont mind me asking for a bit of help.

ausmbtech, i understand the e220 cdi , engine code is om646.821 (my car) as the same kind set up.. hp pump with a quantity control valve .. pressure sensor on rail .. pressure valve on other end of the rail.

from my code 2075-9 (this is not from a star diagnostic unit) & my description ..Check system high pressure control. Max pressure exceeded via quantity control valve.

would you be thinking my qualtity control valve is failing or as failed, & again this part is next to the hp pump at the front of the engine.?

any help / ideas please.
again please excuse me if im hijacking your thread atom-ant,im sorry.

thanks a lot
xbox1
Old 03-08-2022, 06:26 AM

C220 CDI
Experiencing exactly the same issue with my W204 C220 CDI, QCV on order and hope to have the old one off as soon as it arrives , is there a method for purging any air out of the fuel system ?

knowing that diesels will not run with any air in the fuel lines
Old 03-08-2022, 07:22 AM

w211 e220cdi
Hi

Originally Posted by Banditbob
Experiencing exactly the same issue with my W204 C220 CDI, QCV on order and hope to have the old one off as soon as it arrives , is there method for purging any air out of the fuel system ?

knowing that diesels will not run with any air in the fuel lines
​​​​​​..
hi ya banditbob.
The car as been ok upto now, but went the other day, so got the part from Merlin diesel not bad price.
So going to change it the weekend.

I will report back with the news on it.
Sorry can't be any more of an help yet.

Talk to you later.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:57 PM

C Class W204
Hi Guys, This is my first post...Yaay!

MY OM646.811 C220 cdi W204 would occasionally stall or may misfire on cold or sometime warm as well leading to ESP error (attached) or when moving from standstill to attain speed ,I feel a dip just when the car is building up torque and the ESP / MIL would come on and car would go in a limp mode. On next engine start the ESP light goes away but MIL stays.

I used a cheap OBD scanner which showed P0087 and P0088 which is low and high fuel pressure related. To rule out; today I took the car to one of the garage who have star diagnostic (output attached ) and the guy said it "could be!!" Quality control valve (QCV)/PCV.

Star error codes 22E7-005 and 2075-009

I wanted second opinion on this hence here,..

The issue is that the car when the fault is cleared I can drive on motorways for a very long time and its only when I am attempting to overtake or rev dropping during gearshift and going up causes this issue. Also from stand still to floor down I feel a judder/blip/dip (don't know how to explain and then it is fine).

I too thought it feels like fuel related issue. There is no other fault code registered and same comes back when cleared. Can QCV/PCV be the culprit ?

Thanks in advance
I have had the same issues for over 3 years,replaced fuel temperature sensor but that did not resolve the issues so I gave up and continued to drive until my car started to completely stall when driving. Stalled 3 times and thats when i realised I had to do something. I bumped into this post last month, took my car to an old timer mechanic who ran a diagnostic using Xentry which diagonised problems with QCV. I replaced the QCV (Bought from Mercedes ebay)and I have not had problems since. Please do not continue to drive like I did, that was foolish of me and dangerous. Hope I did not damage the fuel injectors in doing so. Hope this helps someone. Thanks a lot!