C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 2009 Drive Cycle Steps Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
W204 2009 Drive Cycle For Engine Readiness, Steps Needed

Q. Can anyone advise on the proper steps to complete engine readiness for OBII? This is for W204 2009 C350.

There is no check engine light or any codes from the OBII scanner.

I can only find older models. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 01-26-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
My apologies- I don't have an answer to your question, but one of my own.

If there is no MIL and no trouble codes, what are you attempting to accomplish? No accusations, just curious.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 PM

2009 C350
Engine readiness sensors have to have a "ready" status for smog test. I'm simply trying to understand what drive cycle in order to activate them to pass smog test
Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
I found this

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...readiness.html

IIRC, most OBDII systems follow the same "drive cycle" to set the system to ready ...
Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
Engine readiness sensors have to have a "ready" status for smog test. I'm simply trying to understand what drive cycle in order to activate them to pass smog test
Cool, thanks. I had never heard of this without a car having the MIL lit, or other codes stored. With newer cars I've just driven them down to the smog shop, where they plug into the diagnostic port and in under five minutes, it's all done. No tailpipe sniffer or anything. Just more proof that the state is more concerned with 'tampering' than they are with actual emissions.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:46 AM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by ghlkal
I found this

IIRC, most OBDII systems follow the same "drive cycle" to set the system to ready ...
Thanks man. I had the dealer give me a Mercedes Bulletin but it has not worked. Looks likes it's for older cars. I followed the generic one but still no dice. Beyond frustrated.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 PM

2009 C350
I found this

Still can't get it to ready. Spoke to the shop foreman. He said in some cases it could be a bad computer or even an O2 sensor slightly out of spec but not failing to throw it off. He had one car that took a 1,000 miles before it worked.

Going to see if I can get an exemption. This is crazy....
Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Still can't get it to ready.

Wow, that's crazy. Sorry to hear this man. You've driven the car enough that the system should have been set to 'ready' regardless. Maybe there is a computer issue
Old 02-26-2016, 11:47 PM

2009 C350
Wow, that's crazy. Sorry to hear this man. You've driven the car enough that the system should have been set to 'ready' regardless. Maybe there is a computer issue
I had the manifold repaired and a pending code cleared. That was done on Tuesday of this week.

I've tried to drive cycle but there are various answers. I came across this.

1. Start engine cold and let idle 3-4 mins
2. Drive untilgauge reads at least 70c
3. Pull overand remain stopped with transmission in “D” for 5-10 mins
4. Proceed to drive vehicle (preferably on interstate)
5. Coast downfrom about 65mph to whatever is a safe speed (utilize off ramps for this)

Coast down 5-10 times😳

6. Once returned, let vehicle idle for 5-10 mins.
7. Proceed to the nearest bar & drink with a cold one.

I'm going to try the above.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:48 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
I am curious.. What is it that is causing you ANY concerns or doubts that your 2009, (which, I assume this will most likely be its first smog test) has even the remotest potential of not passing?

Also, what are you using to determine "readiness" if, (as you demonstrate by the question you asked in your first post) you are unsure what it takes to get it "ready"?

Lastly, and this is somewhat rhetorical, why not go to a "Pas or Don't Pay" Smog Test Center? Which actually brings me back to this:

Going to see if I can get an exemption.
You may be able to get a60 day "extension" to submit to and pass a Smog test, but that requires full payment of all registration fees, in addition to the $50 permit fee that the DMV charges to issue a Temporary Operating Permit to display,, But an "exemption"? For a 2009, considering this is (presumably) its first smog test... I don't think it would qualify for an "exemption".

And for what its worth, a smog check also includes a visual inspection to ensure that all required components (like Catalytic Converters) are present...

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2016, 03:19 PM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by IGB
I am curious.. What is it that is causing you ANY concerns or doubts that your 2009, (which, I assume this will most likely be its first smog test) has even the remotest potential of not passing?

Also, what are you using to determine "readiness" if, (as you demonstrate by the question you asked in your first post) you are unsure what it takes to get it "ready"?

Lastly, and this is somewhat rhetorical, why not go to a "Pas or Don't Pay" Smog Test Center? Which actually brings me back to this:

You may be able to get a60 day "extension" to submit to and pass a Smog test, but that requires full payment of all registration fees, in addition to the $50 permit fee that the DMV charges to issue a Temporary Operating Permit to display,, But an "exemption"? For a 2009, considering this is (presumably) its first smog test... I don't think it would qualify for an "exemption".

And for what its worth, a smog check also includes a visual inspection to ensure that all required components (like Catalytic Converters) are present...

Good luck!
I'm using an OBII scanner. I have three not ready:

O (Oxygen Sensor Monitor)
OH (Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor)
C (Catalyst Monitor)

The smog test failed. Sine then, I've have over 500 miles.

I'm going to try the decelerate down to 20 mph which is a generic drive cycle.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 03-26-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:53 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
I'm using an OBII scanner. I have three not ready:

O (Oxygen Sensor Monitor)
OH (Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor)
C (Catalyst Monitor)

Fuels smog test failed. Sine then, I've have over 500 miles.

I'm going to try the decelerate down to 20 mph which is a generic drive cycle.
Does your OBD-II code scanner have the capability to show "Pending Fault codes"? Or only "current" fault codes?

A "pending" fault code is one that was detected but not enough times for it to trigger a CEL, and yet a pending fault code can delay or prevent readiness of one or more sensors.

Either way, you're going on about this all wrong.

A "not ready" state is the result of some element(s) of the emissions system not working properly. The way to address that is by trying to figure out the cause, addressing (repairing) it, and seeing whether the system in its entirety is able to reach a ready state.

What you are basically doing is you are looking at (the result) a "not ready" state, and you're expecting it to change without you even knowing what the cause is!

I suspect you'll be at this for quite some time.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:07 AM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by IGB
Does your OBD-II code scanner have the capability to show "Pending Fault codes"? Or only "current" fault codes?

A "pending" fault code is one that was detected but not enough times for it to trigger a CEL, and yet a pending fault code can delay or prevent readiness of one or more sensors.

Either way, you're going on about this all wrong.

A "not ready" state is the result of some element(s) of the emissions system not working properly. The way to address that is by trying to figure out the cause, addressing (repairing) it, and seeing whether the system in its entirety is able to reach a ready state.

What you are basically doing is you are looking at (the result) a "not ready" state, and you're expecting it to change without you even knowing what the cause is!

I suspect you'll be at this for quite some time.
There are no codes pending or stored. Once the manifold was repaired, the pending code was cleared. The dealer also confirmed only one pending code as they performed a courtesy scan prior to repair.

Scanner only shows codes stored but I'm not using it for that purpose; only to detect engine readiness.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:20 AM

2009 C350
The engine readiness was solved. Turns out it was a tune done by OE tuning. I went to the dealer and they updated the software and the back to OE tuning to
do the tune again.

Unfortunately, the manifold issue is back.

0521 The charge movement flap (cylinder bank 1) has a Stored and Current malfunction.
I also need engine mounts to be done. Considering the age of the car, maybe a used manifold? Not sure if that's too risky.. The new ones are about $500.