C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clicking noise PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes C300 Sport
Clicking noise PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys I replaced front pads and rotors yesterday on my car, simple job... Took it all apart, cleaned everything up good and put it all back together. Went for a test ride to get some ice cream with my woman and for some reason it sounds like one of my pads is clicking on the passenger front side. I went home and pulled it apart and nothing seemed out of place. Suspected maybe it was the 3 prong clip that goes into piston on caliper so I bent out prongs to make pad sit more tight in piston. Went for a test drive and it went away. Woke up this morning still no issues Then on my way home it started clicking again only when I brake. The clip/spring putting pressure on the caliper is plenty strong and not broken. Ive seen some things about lug nut length but not sure why that issue would surface now. Have also seen something about shims? Anyone with any threads and or information would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
I have this issue too, it is due to aftermarket rotors. I used to have cross drilled and slotted rotors and it was horrible. I switched to cross drilled only and is now much better although it might still be on my rears.
The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (11-15-2023)
Old 08-16-2016, 01:27 PM

2013 Mercedes C300 Sport
Thank you for the response xEryx. I purchased an indicator today and Im going to go home and find out if its running out to make sure its not the rotors, I don't believe the rotors are the issue but definitely going to look into it. The dealship I bought the car from replaced the rotors and not the pads (idiots) so my pads were no good but I had plenty of meat left on the rotors. I had them turned on a lathe and they said they check for runout. I meticulously clean and remove all rust and buildup when I do brakes (hubs, caliper brackets, rims etc) for longevity. As for bolt holding rotor to hub I double checked tightness after hearing some people have had issues there...
Driving me nutso because ive never had a single issue doing brakes. Going to post up pictures and keep updating this post for the sake of anyone else running into this issue... https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ng-insane.html this helped slightly
Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM

2013 Mercedes C300 Sport
Just to check some things off the list here... Noise is only coming from passenger side.

Lug nut torque is at 96 foot pounds.
Bracket bolts and slider bolts are tight.
No rust/crap or corrosion anywhere, never-seize used on contact points.
Brakes HAVE NOT been bled (this weekend)
The 3 prong clip that goes into piston is a nice and tight fit.
Spring clip that puts pressure on caliper (Clip that is on outside of caliper, and clips into Counter-bore on caliper) seems to be strong?
Lug nut length shouldn't be an issue... all 4 wheels use the same length bolts.
Wtf else could it be?
Faulty pads? Last night I swapped out inner pad to try and diagnose issue to see if the inside pad that clips into caliper piston was manufactured incorrectly. Still making noise. (going to swap outside pad tonight)
Old 08-16-2016, 01:37 PM

2013 Mercedes C300 Sport
Any small tid bits by the experienced Mercedes gurus on her would be helpful. "this happens sometimes on the 13's" yata yata.
Thanks again boys
Old 08-16-2016, 06:04 PM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
I tried most of these things that you did, but it did not help until I changed the rotors. What rotors are currently on the car? OEM Drilled? Drilled and Slotted aftermarket?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Definitely not the case but make sure pad wear sensor is well seated! the wire maybe be scuffing?

Trending Topics

Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63
I had the same issue on my CLS63 with two piece rotors. After several weeks I was able to determine and fix the issue. It turns out to be the pads. As they wear down, the chamfer on the edge of the pads become flat on a corner and forms a sharp edge. This edge then somehow grasp on the holes align with it creating that annoying clicking noise. My pad were at 50%, so I decided to put a chamfer on that edge to extend the useful life of them. It resolved my clicking noise. Hope this helps everyone else with the same clicking sound issue out there.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
I am going to try looking at my pads again when the weather is good. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Sorry for bring a old post back from the dead.... Did you ever solve this? I am also getting a click (Gets faster as you drive faster) from the front passenger wheel area. Walking beside the car as it rolls forward it is quite audible.
New brake rotors, pads, brake fluid, new tires, new sway bar end links, lowered on KW V3s and Kmac top hats.

thanks in advance!