C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Suggestions for upgrading halogen bulbs in reflector housings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Suggestions for upgrading halogen bulbs in reflector housings?

While I eventually plan to upgrade my entire headlight housings to the Depo C63 replica headlights, I had a low beam go out last night and I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade my bulbs short term. I currently have the stock reflector housings and bulbs. My goal is to get the bright white (probably 5000k) color in these housings so they match the LED fog strips. So far I've come up with 3 options:

1. 5000k bright white halogen bulbs.

2. 5000k HIDs

3. 5000k LED bulbs

I've never upgraded the bulbs while keeping the reflector housings, so I'd like to hear opinions of all 3 of these options, as well as suggestions on products. Thanks!

Last edited by zrheath; 03-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 C300 4MATIC
Here are my opinions according to my experience:

: Not sure how much more visibility you could gain with this option. I have tried many different styles and kinds of bulbs on previous vehicles, but when I swapped out the bulb with different temperature ratings, this would purely be just for looks and colors. I would say stay with stock bulb (4300k I believe) for best visibility.

2. 5000k HIDs
: If I were given only the 3 options you have, this is the route I will go for. However, I would install the bulb in a correct way so that I won't blind other drivers on the road. With 5000K HIDs, it will closely match the LED fog strips in my opinion, and it will definitely give you more visibility.

3. 5000k LED bulbs
: I would not go for this route unless you go with high quality LED that is proven to gain you more visibility than the stock bulbs. To my experience, I have installed LED headlight bulbs on stock housing with halogen projectors (different vehicle), visibility wasn't that great. This would also purely for looks I believe.

As for the HID bulbs, I would recommend going with Philips (Osram) brand for quality and visibility, but they get expensive. You could go with different brands with cheaper options though. I think 5000K works the best for color and visibility.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
1. The closest to 5000K halogen bulb out there is Philips Diamond Vision. They cheat though with blue tinted glass which does reduce the lumen output (brightness). They will be ok if you drive city mostly in well lit areas (that pic suggests that you don't though...).

2. You'll need to go with an HID conversion kit, not just HID bulbs. Although there will be glare no matter how you try to aim the bulb due to that huge reflector housing, since your goal is to go with depo headlights that have the projectors, this is the best short term option as you can just reuse the HID conversion kit in your depo housing. We carry top end Morimoto H7 canbus HID conversion kit if interested. You'll need a canbus kit for it to function properly, not just any HID conversion kit.

3. Although we generally recommend against LEDs for forward projecting housing due to reduced throw distance, they will be pretty much as good as diamond visions. I wouldn't use LEDs as your end state goal though as your housing (and the DEPOs) are not designed to capture LED surface mounted light spread.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by dlgkswh88
Here are my opinions according to my experience:

: Not sure how much more visibility you could gain with this option. I have tried many different styles and kinds of bulbs on previous vehicles, but when I swapped out the bulb with different temperature ratings, this would purely be just for looks and colors. I would say stay with stock bulb (4300k I believe) for best visibility.

2. 5000k HIDs
: If I were given only the 3 options you have, this is the route I will go for. However, I would install the bulb in a correct way so that I won't blind other drivers on the road. With 5000K HIDs, it will closely match the LED fog strips in my opinion, and it will definitely give you more visibility.

3. 5000k LED bulbs
: I would not go for this route unless you go with high quality LED that is proven to gain you more visibility than the stock bulbs. To my experience, I have installed LED headlight bulbs on stock housing with halogen projectors (different vehicle), visibility wasn't that great. This would also purely for looks I believe.

As for the HID bulbs, I would recommend going with Philips (Osram) brand for quality and visibility, but they get expensive. You could go with different brands with cheaper options though. I think 5000K works the best for color and visibility.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply! I definitely hear what you are saying and it does sound like HIDs are my best option long term, I'm just nervous about putting them in my reflector housing until I get the projectors.

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
1. The closest to 5000K halogen bulb out there is Philips Diamond Vision. They cheat though with blue tinted glass which does reduce the lumen output (brightness). They will be ok if you drive city mostly in well lit areas (that pic suggests that you don't though...).

2. You'll need to go with an HID conversion kit, not just HID bulbs. Although there will be glare no matter how you try to aim the bulb due to that huge reflector housing, since your goal is to go with depo headlights that have the projectors, this is the best short term option as you can just reuse the HID conversion kit in your depo housing. We carry top end Morimoto H7 canbus HID conversion kit if interested. You'll need a canbus kit for it to function properly, not just any HID conversion kit.

3. Although we generally recommend against LEDs for forward projecting housing due to reduced throw distance, they will be pretty much as good as diamond visions. I wouldn't use LEDs as your end state goal though as your housing (and the DEPOs) are not designed to capture LED surface mounted light spread.
Thanks for the information and opinions! It definitely is starting to look like it's best to go with HIDs for the time being and then add the projectors later. Can you explain more on the Canbus kits though, and why they are needed? Not to compare products, but I've been reccomended some other, less expensive kits on a different forum and they seem to be standard conversion kits that are claimed to work fine in the w204s. Can you tell me what the difference would be and which kit of yours you would recommend for my setup? thanks!

Last edited by zrheath; 03-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by zrheath
Thanks for the reply! I definitely hear what you are saying and it does sound like HIDs are my best option long term, I'm just nervous about putting them in my reflector housing until I get the projectors.

Thanks for the information and opinions! It definitely is starting to look like it's best to go with HIDs for the time being and then add the projectors later. Can you explain more on the Canbus kits though, and why they are needed? Not to compare products, but I've been reccomended some other, less expensive kits on a different forum and they seem to be standard conversion kits that are claimed to work fine in the w204s. Can you tell me what the difference would be and which kit of yours you would recommend for my setup? thanks!
Whatever brand kit you go with, it will need to be canbus kit otherwise your SAM will throw error codes and shut power to the socket.

There are quality of component and engineering variations between the various brands.... Best out there is probably MTEC, but those are very pricey. We carry Morimoto for our customers because they are high quality known brand units with an established history of reliability at a reasonable price point.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM

2013 C300 Sport
Whatever brand kit you go with, it will need to be canbus kit otherwise your SAM will throw error codes and shut power to the socket.

There are quality of component and engineering variations between the various brands.... Best out there is probably MTEC, but those are very pricey. We carry Morimoto for our customers because they are high quality known brand units with an established history of reliability at a reasonable price point.
Thanks again, I will definitely be checking out your kits. Slightly off topic, but I was looking on your website for the replacement LED bulb for the parking/corner light. Are you out of stock on these or am I looking at the wrong one?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Thanks again, I will definitely be checking out your kits. Slightly off topic, but I was looking on your website for the replacement LED bulb for the parking/corner light. Are you out of stock on these or am I looking at the wrong one?

This is what you want for your parking light:
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=114

Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM

2013 C300 Sport
This is what you want for your parking light:
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=114

This is the same bulb that replaces most of the interior lights as well, isn't it?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

This is the same bulb that replaces most of the interior lights as well, isn't it?

Yes it is, asides from your center rear dome which also has a single 41mm festoon LED
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C320cdi
I can heartily recommend LED bulbs. My car had the halogen bulbs and when I picked it up, I actually pulled over to check whether my lights were on! Candles would have been an improvement. I installed some LED bulbs rated at 20k lumens (unverified). The difference was night and day, I could see the road and pavement to my left (RHD) these were in total darkness before.

I have never been flashed (eg. lights blinding oncoming traffic) and the look of the light temp looks HID.

The quality and reach has improved greatly on LED headlight bulbs and there are a vast and simple upgrade over halogen.

Last edited by mikerth; 03-22-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
Originally Posted by mikerth
I can heartily recommend LED bulbs. My car had the halogen bulbs and when I picked it up, I actually pulled over to check whether my lights were on! Candles would have been an improvement. I installed some LED bulbs rated at 20k lumens (unverified). The difference was night and day, I could see the road and pavement to my left (RHD) these were in total darkness before.

I have never been flashed (eg. lights blinding oncoming traffic) and the look of the light temp looks HID.

The quality and reach has improved greatly on LED headlight bulbs and there are a vast and simple upgrade over halogen.

I haven't seen an HID conversion in person so I cannot comment but I have seen an LED conversion and it looks much much brighter towards the road.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Mercedes C300 4matic Sport
ordered a HID conversion yesterday for my new to me c300 w204. will post pics of before and after.

I feel LEDS are def brighter but the beam wont be that far out
Old 03-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Mercedes C320cdi
Originally Posted by bknewtype
ordered a HID conversion yesterday for my new to me c300 w204. will post pics of before and after.

I feel LEDS are def brighter but the beam wont be that far out
Have to disagree, I have a bmw 5 series with factory HID, my C320 with LED headlights, is directly comparable. I can't tell the difference in terms of visual performance.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Mercedes C300 4matic Sport
Have to disagree, I have a bmw 5 series with factory HID, my C320 with LED headlights, is directly comparable. I can't tell the difference in terms of visual performance.
what I mean is that it wont shoot out as far as a HID system would. iv seen LED headlights systems that cost 100+ for just the bulbs. it is def clear if you put a HID system next to a LED system against the wall, very comparable. its when you are driving that the HID will go way further out than LED's
Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 PM

Mercedes C320cdi
Originally Posted by bknewtype
what I mean is that it wont shoot out as far as a HID system would. iv seen LED headlights systems that cost 100+ for just the bulbs. it is def clear if you put a HID system next to a LED system against the wall, very comparable. its when you are driving that the HID will go way further out than LED's
I know that's what you mean. I have a local unlit road which I have driven in the Bmw with factory HID and the Mercedes C320 with LED. No visual performance difference whatsoever. Both seem to have the same reach. LEDs have come a long way. Much easier than retrofitting a HID system with correct levelling etc.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 PM

2013 C300 Sport
I ended up going with HIDs, though the recent replies make me second guess this decision and wonder if I should have gone with LEDs now. But nonetheless, they are installed and I'm happy with them so far. I'll be much happier when my LED parking lights from AZNOptics come tomorrow though

The following users liked this post:
jeffgrimord (12-24-2019)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300 Sport
They turned out great! Can't wait to see it with the parking lights in there too. What HID kit did you end up going with?
Old 05-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Sport 4Matic

Which LED bulbs do you recommend for you high and low beams. Thanks