C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Crossed cable wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c230
Crossed cable wires

Hello! This morning my Mercedes was completely dead so in a hurry, I tried to jump it. I put the cables on the wrong terminals and noticed after they were on for like 45 seconds. The cables were extremely hot but I put them back on the right way and the car was charged. But now my headlights flicker on and off, my A/C doesnt work, and the sunroof is very glitchy. I dont know what to do?? Is my car completely screwed??
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Yeah you did damage... take the car to a benz mechanic and prepare yourself for the bad news.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:56 PM

Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Yeah you did damage... take the car to a benz mechanic and prepare yourself for the bad news.
**** really? what could have possibly happened? Is there anything that I can do to fix?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
When you force power backwards through electronics, you overheat and blow components. If the car still powers up and runs, you didn't just pop the main fuse box or something simple.

You need to properly diagnose what got damaged, replace it, and go from there.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:11 PM

Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
When you force power backwards through electronics, you overheat and blow components. If the car still powers up and runs, you didn't just pop the main fuse box or something simple.

You need to properly diagnose what got damaged, replace it, and go from there.
Yeah so everything runs fine except for the right right flickers on and off. Right now I'm more concerned about the A/C tbh. I see that the lights are connected to the ECU or something and doesnt have a fuse? Do you think the A/C fuse just blew?
Old 05-16-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi
I recommend
1, Installing a new battery.
2, take it to Dealers let them know what happened and ask check of fault codes to be recorded and then wiped, also for headlight to be re-coded and sun roof to be re-initiated.

You have got somewhat lucky that the car still goes and the computers are not completely fried.
If there is a problem the fault code will re appear for what ever system is affected.
The sun roof common for it to loose its automatic start and stop points when the battery is flat or dying and then there is stuttering when opening /closing.
A/C- dont know what is the problem.
Headlights make sure the switch is left in the Auto position, voltage leaks across the switch in the off position and can cause intermittent park lights flickering when the car is parked up.

Dealers not some local “expert" for this problem and all the best.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 AM

Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by NZ-Merc
Hi
I recommend
1, Installing a new battery.
2, take it to Dealers let them know what happened and ask check of fault codes to be recorded and then wiped, also for headlight to be re-coded and sun roof to be re-initiated.

You have got somewhat lucky that the car still goes and the computers are not completely fried.
If there is a problem the fault code will re appear for what ever system is affected.
The sun roof common for it to loose its automatic start and stop points when the battery is flat or dying and then there is stuttering when opening /closing.
A/C- dont know what is the problem.
Headlights make sure the switch is left in the Auto position, voltage leaks across the switch in the off position and can cause intermittent park lights flickering when the car is parked up.

Dealers not some local “expert" for this problem and all the best.
Wow you nailed the sunroof part cause thats EXACTLY what its doing!! And my check engine light is on so hopefully I will be able to pull the codes. Could the A/C be a fuse or something? Also I noticed that I have a "Battery Alternator" warning that appeared yet the alternator and battery seems fine so I'm assuming the warning light is just faulty?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
You keep asking about an AC fuse blowing but have you actually checked the fuses yet?

First thing I would have done is to check the fuses and go from there.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008C4Matic
Ouch

Get a new battery or unhook the battery & check ALL fuses

then go from there
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by Colin G
You keep asking about an AC fuse blowing but have you actually checked the fuses yet?

First thing I would have done is to check the fuses and go from there.
How can you tell if the fuse is blown?
Old 05-16-2017, 01:29 PM

Mercedes c230
Nvm I figured it out. All the fuses look good. I'm almost certain I shorted the A/C compressor because the fuses look good and I tried recharging it, which I was almost certain it wouldn't work but wanted to be certain. Any way I can test to see if it went bad? The blower motor and heat work just fine btw