C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

'09 - Finally ESL/EIS failure ~76k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350 4Matic Sport
'09 - Finally ESL/EIS failure ~76k miles

So the prior owners of my '09 C300 never experienced the trouble of the dreaded and expected ESL/EIS failure so I had the pleasure of it happening at some point since yesterday.

So car did not respond the to the key as expected (audible steering wheel unlock and instrument cluster coming to life), absolutely nothing when I turned the key to start. I have tried a battery disconnect and reconnect to reboot everything with no luck.

Here is to hoping that a tow truck can fit into my parking garage as my car is not going anywhere due to locked steering wheel. Its a damn shame Mercedes of all car makers cannot even get an ignition switch right, have already been brow beat down by a friend with a Ford Taurus that at least their car starts while my shiny C300 needs to be towed.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
I think its time to insist on a free repair. The fact that they "fixed" it on later models as reported, is like admitting to the design fault, that should not have left a factory to the streets.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 SL600/07 S65
Disconnect battery would not help as it would be too easy to defeat.

Temperature seems a big factor for this problem.

I do not believe they had figured out as this is so common cross different platform.

or, may be they do not care.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Yeah I figured the computer reboot would not work and it didn't. Fortunately this should be covered under my extended warranty with only $100 deductible so I am taking it to a good independent near me. Towing is covered but I am not sure how they are going to get it out of the parking space in my garage as there is no room for the truck to park and pull it straight out and the steering wheel won't unlock, have a feeling they are going to have to wait until the car next to me leaves to be able to drag my car diagonally to get it on the truck.

This is a nightmare and I hope MB has revised the parts to be less failure prone. I knew this was coming but if it could have waited another month or two I wouldn't be so upset about it.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
1992 MB 190E, 2016 MB C300
You can get it out of park manually. Check your owner's manual on how to do it.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
I know you can get it out of P but the steering will remain locked...hopefully it can be moved out of the space to a better position for towing.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport & 2017 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
The towing company can always place wheels beneath your front wheels to move it around and out. Just tell them it’s in a tight garage.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Well car is at a good independent near me who yesterday late afternoon confirmed dead ESL. Today they called and said my extended warranty would only cover 2.5 hours of labor on what is a 4.5 hour job so I am going to be out of pocket ~$380 which includes my $100 deductible, understand the full price repair cost is ~$1050 so while I am not entirely pleased about the warranty not covering the whole thing I could be in a much worse spot.

Now the bad is this is a TRP (Theft Relevant Part) so it needs to be ordered and programmed directly from MB with a 3-5 business day lead time. Figuring with my car being towed in Monday and part just being ordered today I may get it back by next Tuesday or Wednesday, almost a full 7-8 days without wheels. I will say this whole experience has really soured me on the Mercedes brand - glad to have at least this known failure behind me for now.

Yes I filed a have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, while I know that won't get me my money back or any direct results I am hoping enough complaints come through for the scope to come down on MB over their terrible electronic key and steering lock system on the 204.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM

04 SL600/07 S65
Honestly the cost is very reasonable as I heard many times that it could be 2000.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:48 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Dalplex
Honestly the cost is very reasonable as I heard many times that it could be 2000.
I think the 1500+ repairs include the EIS and keys which I could see boosting the cost to those levels. My repair is just the steering lock but does not include new keys or a new EIS (part key inserts into) so its only 1 of 3 of the junk parts being replaced. Since this is a dealer and authorized repair only part it is hard to find if the part has been revised to be less failure prone, hoping yes but unless there is a mechanic that has handled old and replacements parts its hard to figure out if there have been improvements made to improve reliability.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Just FYI guys, the part that almost always is not the EIS. The part that locks up and causes the steering wheel to lock (or in some cases remain unlocked) is the steering column lock. Very rarely did we ever have to replace the EIS. Sadly, yes this is a TRP part, but technically an independent shop can do the work as long as they have the right paperwork and signatures from the vehicle owner (think of it like a mild version of power of attorney for you vehicle). If you ask the parts personnel at the dealership, they should be able to give you a list of what all is needed from you and the independent for next time (hopefully there isn't).
Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 PM

04 SL600/07 S65
Yes, that is a good news. EIS is very strange design.

I have problem on EIS on W220, which does not have ESL..
Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Well car is at a good independent near me who yesterday late afternoon confirmed dead ESL. Today they called and said my extended warranty would only cover 2.5 hours of labor on what is a 4.5 hour job so I am going to be out of pocket ~$380 which includes my $100 deductible, understand the full price repair cost is ~$1050 so while I am not entirely pleased about the warranty not covering the whole thing I could be in a much worse spot.

Now the bad is this is a TRP (Theft Relevant Part) so it needs to be ordered and programmed directly from MB with a 3-5 business day lead time. Figuring with my car being towed in Monday and part just being ordered today I may get it back by next Tuesday or Wednesday, almost a full 7-8 days without wheels. I will say this whole experience has really soured me on the Mercedes brand - glad to have at least this known failure behind me for now.

Yes I filed a have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, while I know that won't get me my money back or any direct results I am hoping enough complaints come through for the scope to come down on MB over their terrible electronic key and steering lock system on the 204.
I just had this ESL replacement done at my dealership. $1049 CAD including %11 tax. It only took them about 2 hours but my steering lock was stuck open so I was kind of lucky in that respect. My parts took a while to come from Germany so I was without my car for 2 weeks.
The following users liked this post:
pezzy669 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Colin G
I just had this ESL replacement done at my dealership. $1049 CAD including %11 tax. It only took them about 2 hours but my steering lock was stuck open so I was kind of lucky in that respect. My parts took a while to come from Germany so I was without my car for 2 weeks.
Same boat here - my local indy told me 3-5 business days before they ordered as the ESL has to come direct from MB. Once they ordered it appears 5 business days is more accurate timeline so earliest I may get my car back is Wednesday (12/13) when my car was towed in on Monday (12/4). Mine failed in locked position so indy warned me that I may be on the hook for another $225 re-programming charge as car may have gone into an "I'm stolen" mode which then requires re-programming but they won't know until the new ESL comes in and they install it, my shifty extended warranty won't cover that so what was a $388 out of pocket repair may now go up to $600+.

Looking back I will say for this car being almost 10 years old (built 04/08) this is honestly the first non-maintenance failure so it has done quite well and even beat out my ultra-reliable Mazda's in not having any warranty repairs. I will concede and say that is if all the maintenance records I received from prior owners are complete, what I have shows it was only brought in for routine maintenance during the past 76k miles.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:23 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
So I am completely at my wits end with this damn independent and the car. Now is marking 2 weeks and here is all the progress that has been made

First ESL and programming key came in on Tuesday this week - Indy says programming key was defective so it was returned and new one should arrive on Friday (today). Mind you my car has been there since last Monday (12/4)

Second replacement programming key came in today and was defective AGAIN. Independent calls me and says they now need to replace the EIS and get a new keyfob remote, programming key will be in Monday but EIS and Keyfob will probably be another 5 damn days so it will be 3 weeks because of a stupid steering lock.

Any MB mechanics here know why my independent is having such a hard time with this and what are the chances of everything going bad all at the same time? It doesn't make any sense since it seems the EIS is pretty problem free and the ESL is typically the culprit. If they still cant fix it by next Friday I am having it flat bedded to Mercedes Benz of Buckhead (who I am not too thrilled with) as I am sure if I took it there first I probably would have had it back by now.

Thanks in advance for any input, I am so beyond frustrated with this now I could just scream. Once I close on my condo in January I am trading this thing in for an Audi A4, the three pointed star is not worth the headache this has become.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
So I wanted to check in real quick for the finale of this "saga". 18 days after dropping her off l was able to pick her back up with a new steering lock and new key, running better than ever (battery was disconnected off and on for almost 3 weeks so everything had a chance to reset I am sure).

Total repair - $1,310.65
Warranty paid - $626.32
Out of pocket - $684.31 ($321.25 key was not covered under extended warranty)

I am going to eat crow in saying that the independent I took it to highly recommended we start with a new key first, I refused because it was not covered under warranty and barely read about key failures (mainly ESL failure) so I had them press forward with warranty company. ESL was replaced and they still could not get key to program, tried two replacement "programming" keys before they got warranty company back out to authorize EIS replacement. I finally was sick of the length of time it was taking and dropped the $321 for a new key, it came in with the 3rd replacement programming key and it finally worked. The owner of the shop could not confirm or deny a key replacement weeks earlier would have worked but only said that my original key would lock/unlock the car but would not start it. My thought is had I sprung for the new key back in the beginning I could have saved myself ~$400 on rental cars in the weeks in between - but hindsight is 20/20.

Looking back my original key always acted kinda wonky in that the entry/exit lighting (headlights and taillights) and interior lighting after entry were always very erratic, now they are 100% consistent on how long they stay on. But all in all I am glad I have the known failure part (ESL) is new for the time being, but also kinda wishing I had the warranty company get me a new EIS as well so I could have all 3 be new at 76k. But 2 out of 3 replaced I think I am good for now.

Just put me down as one who may have only had a bad key and maybe not a whole system, for others who may not have an extended warranty to absorb ~1/2 the cost it might be worthwhile to try a new key first.