C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How can I replace broken glass ( speedometer) on instrument cluster!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 sport
How can I replace broken glass ( speedometer) on instrument cluster!

Hello, so I need some help finding a way to replace the center glass on (our 2012 C300 sport) the instrument cluster. I leave my cellphone on the steering column often. My daughter went into the settings and changed the setting when the car is turned off the it reset ( steering column) to the up position and my cellphone got wedged between the steering column in the center speedometer cluster and cracked the glass.

If someone can help please! I need some information how I can replace the glass and whats the best way this can be accomplished.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Find a used instrument cluster and pull the front lens off to swap it over.

Also, you know they make mounts for your cell phone from one of the vents, the cd player or suction cupped to the windshield, right?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Mercedes C300 sport
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
Find a used instrument cluster and pull the front lens off to swap it over.

Also, you know they make mounts for your cell phone from one of the vents, the cd player or suction cupped to the windshield, right?
Yes I do thanks for the kind remark we just got it a few weeks ago. Where would one best find a used cluster and info on how to pull it out? Any how to on this? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Spjetrovic
Yes I do thanks for the kind remark we just got it a few weeks ago. Where would one best find a used cluster and info on how to pull it out? Any how to on this? Thanks.
My guess would be that eBay is the best bet for a used cluster. Here's a how-to video on how to remove the cluster:
The following users liked this post:
Spjetrovic (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 02:41 PM

Mercedes C300 sport
[QUOTE=curt.r;7389467]My guess would be that eBay is the best bet for a used cluster. Here's a how-to video on how to remove the cluster

thanks you sir! greatly appreciate your help.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM

2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6
You should be aware that you can only swap the glass over to the old speedo, and can not use the used speedo due to the fact that it is tied to another car.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 79 Posts
W204 C220CDI 2011
Originally Posted by Mgloznao
You should be aware that you can only swap the glass over to the old speedo, and can not use the used speedo due to the fact that it is tied to another car.
Not certain about a W204, but on a W203 it could be done : set the mileage on the donor cluster to less than 10 miles with a mileage resetting gizmo; install the donor cluster and code to the car transferring the mileage from the immobiliser.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 PM

Mercedes C300 sport

Originally Posted by Mgloznao
Originally Posted by alecmascot
Not certain about a W204, but on a W203 it could be done : set the mileage on the donor cluster to less than 10 miles with a mileage resetting gizmo; install the donor cluster and code to the car transferring the mileage from the immobiliser.
I got one off eBay for $80 shipped. Will only be replacing the glass. If any one has a use for the cluster without the glass. I would give it for free. Location Northern New Jersey.

Last edited by Spjetrovic; 03-08-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 AM

2016 E Class 4Matic Coupe
How is did you get the glass out of the unit? I have a 2016 E class coupe (C207) that has the three individual glass covers like this one and the previous owner somehow sprayed armorAll in behind the glass. The dealership said they couldn’t take it apart but I figure that is because they want to sell me a new one. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks,

Keith

I got one off eBay for $80 shipped. Will only be replacing the glass. If any one has a use for the cluster without the glass. I would give it for free. Location Northern New Jersey.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Mercedes C300 sport
Originally Posted by kmmcnally
How is did you get the glass out of the unit? I have a 2016 E class coupe (C207) that has the three individual glass covers like this one and the previous owner somehow sprayed armorAll in behind the glass. The dealership said they couldn’t take it apart but I figure that is because they want to sell me a new one. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks,

Keith
Did you read the whole thread? The how to YouTube video is what I used. the glass can be removed on our W204. Not sure about your C207. Buy a used one and take it apart or take yours out and remove the glass and clean it.