C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Possible SAM electrical fault need advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55 AMG
Possible SAM electrical fault need advice please

I noticed a day or so ago the ESP, 4 way flasher and headlight switch were inop. Doing some research online I checked fuse 18 under the hood and it appeared fine. I even replaced it for good measure.

I also disconnected the batter for a bit to try and clear out any fault.

From my research is could be a SAM fault. But i'm curious is there anything else I can check before bringing it into the shop?

Heated eats also not working. Button does not light up
Old 08-17-2022, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,242 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Wink

Originally Posted by Gvagen
I noticed a day or so ago the ESP, 4 way flasher and headlight switch were inop. Doing some research online I checked fuse 18 under the hood and it appeared fine. I even replaced it for good measure.

I also disconnected the batter for a bit to try and clear out any fault.

From my research is could be a SAM fault. But i'm curious is there anything else I can check before bringing it into the shop?

Heated eats also not working. Button does not light up
You've done some good preliminary investigation in particular the Rebooting of crazy SAM's👍

The next step is to scan the OBD Port for faults.

The collection of circuits that are disfunctioning maybe sharing GND source.

Has the front carpet being soaked recently?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:44 AM

G55 AMG
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
You've done some good preliminary investigation in particular the Rebooting of crazy SAM's👍

The next step is to scan the OBD Port for faults.

The collection of circuits that are disfunctioning maybe sharing GND source.

Has the front carpet being soaked recently?
I don't think so but I'm not sure/not ruling anything out. Is there something significant to the front carpet being wet?

I have an iCarsoft MB II scanner. Will this tool read the SAM? Is there a better scan tool I can pickup that will red the sam?

Last edited by Gvagen; 08-18-2022 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think so but I'm not sure/not ruling anything out. Is there something significant to the front carpet being wet?

I have an iCarsoft MB II scanner. Will this tool read the SAM? Is there a better scan tool I can pickup that will red the sam?
icarsoft scanner should be all right to list faults

Carpet acts as a witness for rain soaks
Old 08-18-2022, 11:50 AM

G55 AMG
icarsoft scanner should be all right to list faults

Carpet acts as a witness for rain soaks

If the carpet is wet what modules are located there that I can check?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the carpet is wet what modules are located there that I can check?
none on driver side, a few on passenger side acording to options including Gateway.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:01 PM

G55 AMG
none on driver side, a few on passenger side acording to options including Gateway.
Thank you! MY gut tells me its a bad SAM/Gateway module.

I'm going to check the ground in the drivers footwell. Evidence of water in the passenger footwell, 12v at each switch pin, continuity within each switch and 12v at each fuse.
I was also thinking of unplugging each switch 1 by 1, and disconnecting the negative terminal after to determine if 1 is shorting out and the switch.

I'm banging my head, wondering what else is connected to this loop

I'm thinking either theres a short somewhere and its kicking the SAM module into protection mode or its the SAM itself.

The Hazard and EDC switch are not getting any back light. The headlight switch gets backlight for a second when I unplug and plug it back in. I tried getting a replacement light switch and no dice.

Last edited by Gvagen; 08-18-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wink

Thank you! MY gut tells me its a bad SAM/Gateway module.

I'm going to check the ground in the drivers footwell. Evidence of water in the passenger footwell, 12v at each switch pin, continuity within each switch and 12v at each fuse.
I was also thinking of unplugging each switch 1 by 1, and disconnecting the negative terminal after to determine if 1 is shorting out and the switch.

I'm banging my head, wondering what else is connected to this loop

I'm thinking either theres a short somewhere and its kicking the SAM module into protection mode or its the SAM itself.

The Hazard and EDC switch are not getting any back light. The headlight switch gets backlight for a second when I unplug and plug it back in. I tried getting a replacement light switch and no dice.

Try to minimize wet finger to save time....
Many questions can be answered by scanning OBD Port
Don't bang you head, be focussed top-down when possible
Old 08-18-2022, 02:13 PM

G55 AMG
Try to minimize wet finger to save time....
Many questions can be answered by scanning OBD Port
Don't bang you head, be focussed top-down when possible

I'm waiting for my replacement icarsoft scanner to arrive. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

I'm waiting for my replacement icarsoft scanner to arrive. Should be here tomorrow.
With scanner data: you will be able to test switches for a response without dismantling anything.

What's interesting is the collection of bad systems all together in the same area... GND posts !

As always keep up battery, low voltage cause non-sense glitches.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:26 PM

G55 AMG
With scanner data: you will be able to test switches for a response without dismantling anything.

What's interesting is the collection of bad systems all together in the same area... GND posts !

As always keep up battery, low voltage cause non-sense glitches.
When I check fuse 18 it controls all of those functions and the front SAM power. Thats exactly why i'm thinking the front SAM is bad, or theres a short somewhere causing the SAM to disconnect that circuit. But I agree waiting for the scanner is probably the best idea.

Worst case I can get access to a Star next week.

I see it as a challenge, I really want to try and figure this one out without getting an easy answer from a scan tool
Old 08-18-2022, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rarely easy ....

I see it as a challenge, I really want to try and figure this one out without getting an easy answer from a scan tool
okay, we'll be here when you succeed 👍

Using Star system is the best way to save time.
DTC rarely point fixes, only faults.
Figuring best fixes is a different can of worms
Old 08-18-2022, 03:17 PM

G55 AMG
okay, we'll be here when you succeed 👍

Using Star system is the best way to save time.
DTC rarely point fixes, only faults.
Figuring best fixes is a different can of worms
I appreciate the support!!!
What do you mean by DTC rarely point fixes?

On a side note i've had maybe 8 BMW 3 series in my life including 335i's and M3's both manual and automatic. I've never owned an MBZ much less and AMG. This car is far superior to any BMW I have ever owned. I found the least expensive car that wasn't a total basket case to see how much I'd like living with this car.

Its got 100k miles. I've never bought a car with this many miles but have owned cars way beyond 100k. I had a Cayenne I bought with 75k and sold with almost 140k miles. I did a bunch of work to it and got it up above 700hp. It was an animal, but I really wanted to get back into a car. The 19 mpg from the C63 feels like a prius compared to the 11mpg of that truck.

It needs a few $1000 in service work which is easy peasy. In a few months when I determine if I love this car or if its just alright (so far I am over the moon) the decision will be go ***** to the wall with this car or sell it in search for a p30/p31 or 507. Also, don't ask me why, but I really like and prefer the non facelifted cars. IMO the front bumper with traditional fogs lights and no ugly led strip looks much better.

The rear bumper however is ok. I like the notch up in the facelift model and/or the black series. It's a good thing parts are relatively plentiful for these cars.

If I do keep this, I'm doing KW V3 coils, long tube headers and full exhaust, cold air intake, carbon diffuser (real cf) carbon front chin spoiler (real cf) mirror upgrade & covers (real cf) and have the roof wrapped in CF look.

Possibly if I really fall in love a weistec supercharger (or equivalent other brand). Then probably the p31 brembo big brake kit, and bigger 19 or 20" wheels. I really like how HRE wheels look.

Some one at some point in the car's history had custom inlays done on the seats which looks really sharp in person. Both front and rear seats were done in this pattern.. Not everyones taste but I really like it. They also did an Alcantara head liner.

I love the shade of white it is. It's not super duper bright plain boring white it has some nice color to it. And black CF accents will really make it pop!

Last edited by Gvagen; 08-18-2022 at 03:21 PM.