C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil filter housing removal on C250 2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 09:45 AM

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
C250 2013
Oil filter housing removal on C250 2013

I need to replace the gasket on the oil filter housing on my C250 2013 and was wondering if anyone has done this already?
I think I can remove the housing from the bottom but I need to remove the starter.

I have have one shop told me they will need to remove the intake manifold and perhaps the starter, but another place told me they will not remove the intake manifold and access the housing from the bottom.
Any help, advice and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:03 PM

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
We did 3 last week at the shop. Intake manifold and starter need to be removed in order to get to the oil filter housing. Let me give you some advise, replace the COMPLETE oil filter housing with gasket and also replace the plastic coolant pipe that goes from the back of the head to the oil filter housing hose.
The following users liked this post:
antboii (03-14-2024)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:47 PM

C250 2013
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
We did 3 last week at the shop. Intake manifold and starter need to be removed in order to get to the oil filter housing. Let me give you some advise, replace the COMPLETE oil filter housing with gasket and also replace the plastic coolant pipe that goes from the back of the head to the oil filter housing hose.
Thanks for the advice. I am in the process of getting the intake manifold gaskets.
Can you tell me what the coolant pipe called or the part number?
Old 02-26-2023, 09:39 AM

C250 2013

@MBENZTECH is this the coolant pipe yu're referring to?
Old 02-27-2023, 12:31 AM

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
It's not that one. PM me your VIN number and I will get you the numbers.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:03 AM

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi
This is my link.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ak-repair.html

Mine is 2008 C200K but yours will be similar process.

Biggest tip I can give you is Replace the starter motor with new one from Bosch.
The oil leaks from the oil filter housing in to the starter and get in to the armature and brushes, wears them out and the just suddenly the starter just wont work with no warning. Mine failed at 125,000km when I dismantled it the brushes were damp with oil and brushes completely worn out.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:11 PM

C250 2013
Originally Posted by NZ-Merc
Hi
This is my link.

Mine is 2008 C200K but yours will be similar process.

Biggest tip I can give you is Replace the starter motor with new one from Bosch.
The oil leaks from the oil filter housing in to the starter and get in to the armature and brushes, wears them out and the just suddenly the starter just wont work with no warning. Mine failed at 125,000km when I dismantled it the brushes were damp with oil and brushes completely worn out.
Thanks for sharing.
I had seen this thread before, few things in the engine bay looks different than my car.
This is helpful.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:59 PM

C250 2013
So, I started on this DYI this morning.
I removed the intake manifold and the starter today. It took me about 4 hrs. It's little involved, removing the starter is pretty straight forward but intake manifold is another story.
Tomorrow I am planning tol replace the OFH and few other things. Hopefully, I will be able to put all the connectors and hoses back correctly, lol. I took lots of photos so, hoping all should go back all right.
I bent the turbo purge line while removing the manifold, it's located under the manifold and I did see it when I pulled the manifold out. Not a buggy, I am not planing to buy one but splice it and repair with hose form the auto store.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:55 PM

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by meazz1
So, I started on this DYI this morning.
I removed the intake manifold and the starter today. It took me about 4 hrs. It's little involved, removing the starter is pretty straight forward but intake manifold is another story.
Tomorrow I am planning tol replace the OFH and few other things. Hopefully, I will be able to put all the connectors and hoses back correctly, lol. I took lots of photos so, hoping all should go back all right.
I bent the turbo purge line while removing the manifold, it's located under the manifold and I did see it when I pulled the manifold out. Not a buggy, I am not planing to buy one but splice it and repair with hose form the auto store.
@meazz1 any updates? Did you finish replacing the oil filter housing? Any pictures?
Old 04-09-2023, 08:41 PM

C250 2013
@alynch

Yes and no. I started on it 2 weeks ago. I only can put good bit of time on the weekends but I have another car that I can drive anyway.

Here's the run do:
I removed the intake manifold first. With the right tools, it was not that difficult, but a couple of bolts were in awkward places and took some figuring out.
The crankcase ventilator is on the under side of the manifold. Since I did not know it was there, I turned the manifold to get out of the car and bent the crankcase pipe/hose in the process. I could have repaired it with a oil hose and clamps I already had but I opted to order a new one for $35.00+s/h cause I had enough time before I could resume my work.
Once the manifold was out of the way, the oil filter housing came off next. On the OFH, I removed 4 bolts from the top side and one from underneath. I also had to removed the starter before getting to OFH.
One of the most time consuming tasks was to remove the clamp of the OFH from the oil pipe. I bought a clamp removal kit from Amazon but still I had to figure things out as I went.
Getting the clamp back on in the OFHG hose was a challenge. I used the $1 clamp from Home Depot since it was the best option to me.
I put the OFH, starter and the intake manifold back in the car just about 3 hours ago, but I still need to reconnect all the electric plugs and few vacuum lines and put back the air box, etc.
I also have a impact ratchet from Harbor Freight and that helped.
There's no way I could have done this within one day.

I bought all the gaskets, OFH and few other things before hand and spent good bit of time researching on the web, and i also got good tips from @MBENZTECH who is a frequent user here, and really appreciate his recommendations.
If I have to do it again, I think I can do the job significantly quicker.
I took some photos but got so consumed while working I forgot to take more pics as things were happening.

Let me know if you have questions. There are few tips I can give you when you're ready for it.

Last edited by meazz1; 04-09-2023 at 08:43 PM.
alynch (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:23 AM

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
@alynch

Yes and no. I started on it 2 weeks ago. I only can put good bit of time on the weekends but I have another car that I can drive anyway.

Here's the run do:
I removed the intake manifold first. With the right tools, it was not that difficult, but a couple of bolts were in awkward places and took some figuring out.
The crankcase ventilator is on the under side of the manifold. Since I did not know it was there, I turned the manifold to get out of the car and bent the crankcase pipe/hose in the process. I could have repaired it with a oil hose and clamps I already had but I opted to order a new one for $35.00+s/h cause I had enough time before I could resume my work.
Once the manifold was out of the way, the oil filter housing came off next. On the OFH, I removed 4 bolts from the top side and one from underneath. I also had to removed the starter before getting to OFH.
One of the most time consuming tasks was to remove the clamp of the OFH from the oil pipe. I bought a clamp removal kit from Amazon but still I had to figure things out as I went.
Getting the clamp back on in the OFHG hose was a challenge. I used the $1 clamp from Home Depot since it was the best option to me.
I put the OFH, starter and the intake manifold back in the car just about 3 hours ago, but I still need to reconnect all the electric plugs and few vacuum lines and put back the air box, etc.
I also have a impact ratchet from Harbor Freight and that helped.
There's no way I could have done this within one day.

I bought all the gaskets, OFH and few other things before hand and spent good bit of time researching on the web, and i also got good tips from @MBENZTECH who is a frequent user here, and really appreciate his recommendations.
If I have to do it again, I think I can do the job significantly quicker.
I took some photos but got so consumed while working I forgot to take more pics as things were happening.

Let me know if you have questions. There are few tips I can give you when you're ready for it.
@meazz1 , thanks for the detailed update, and I'm glad everything is back together again. Based on your experiences, do you think the oil filter housing could be replaced from below (after removing the starter) without removing the intake manifold? I read a writeup on the W212 forum where someone had done so with the M271 engine.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:09 PM

C250 2013
Originally Posted by alynch
@meazz1 , thanks for the detailed update, and I'm glad everything is back together again. Based on your experiences, do you think the oil filter housing could be replaced from below (after removing the starter) without removing the intake manifold? I read a writeup on the W212 forum where someone had done so with the M271 engine.
@alynch
You probably could do it w/o removing the manifold. For me, with the manifold off, I had so much room on top and it was still a struggle.
The issue was in my case,when laying on my back on the floor I was not able to freely use both hands, I used a ramp which only raised the car about 6 or 8 inches. I know for sure, it would be a fight to get the clamp off the OFH hose to the plastic pipe.
Try first if you can do it w/o removing the manifold, If you decide to remove the manifold, make sure you have all the gaskets. It looks very involved but once you start removing the manifold, everything will be straight forward.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250

Hi! In the middle of replacing that oil canister coolant line, do you know how to best access it? Maybe what the engine component sandwiching it might be called. Any and all help appreciated !
Old 03-14-2024, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Mercedes C250 1.8
It's not that one. PM me your VIN number and I will get you the numbers.
Could you please pass along the part number for the hose? I am also looking to replace the oil filter housing and would like to properly change everything. I can't believe this is the only thread in the entire world that has information on how to change it. There are zero videos on YouTube too.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:03 PM

C250 2013
Here is the part number I thinking you're referring to.
Mercedes Coolant Line - Genuine Mercedes 2712002352.
When I replaced the oil filter housing I attempted to replace but access was impossible, I think the HPFP needs to be removed. There's no easy way to replace that pipe. I ended up not changing it. I have the part in some box in the garage collecting dust, lol.
antboii (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:14 PM

What happens is oil leaking down goes through the starter and knackers that, I found mine was the same even though it is C200K starter died and oil was leaking down from the oil filter housing.

The seals of the water/ oil exchanger mounted to the oil filter housing are the problem and need replacing, I did mine 3 years ago and still 100% no oil leakage.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:28 PM

2013 Mercedes C250 1.8
When I replaced the oil filter housing I attempted to replace but access was impossible, I think the HPFP needs to be removed. There's no easy way to replace that pipe. I ended up not changing it. I have the part in some box in the garage collecting dust, lol.
Thank you. I'm probably going to skip replacing it then. Did the oil leak cause any damage to your starter?
Old 03-14-2024, 10:04 PM

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
2013 w204 c250 coupe & 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins
Same @meazz1 lol there is absolutely no easy way to get that coolant pipe out. Mines in a part box in my basement 😂

​​​​​​For anyone attempting this job, just take your time and don't break the pipe. Replace the entire OFH with a new one and new gasket.

-yes intake manifold needs to come out
-yes starter needs to be removed. The starter covers 2 of the OFH bolts that hold it to the block.

if anyone has any questions about the job happy to help.

Ant
Old 03-15-2024, 01:55 AM

Hi, Yes the starter lasted 125,000km and just stopped dead, I stripped it and oil had built up on the brushed and they were completely worn out requiring a new starter as only option.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:59 AM

C250 2013
Yes, I agree. Replacing the oil filter house is not too difficult of a job but take your time.
For me I have a 3rd car in household so I could afford to take a week to work on it.
Air box, intake manifold and starter need to be removed. For me the most difficult part were to undo the electric connectors. I had to figure out as I went.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:28 PM

2013 Mercedes C250 1.8
Yes, I agree. Replacing the oil filter house is not too difficult of a job but take your time.
For me I have a 3rd car in household so I could afford to take a week to work on it.
Air box, intake manifold and starter need to be removed. For me the most difficult part were to undo the electric connectors. I had to figure out as I went.
Would you recommend buying the OEM part directly from Mercedes? Or will an aftermarket part work?
antboii (03-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 03:24 PM

C250 2013
The oil filter housing and gasket should be directly from Mercedes. Too much work goes into this to get an after market part and save few bucks.
The other seals and all that could be after market, at least that's what I used.
If you need a list of parts you need, let me know. I made a list of that and saved it somewhere.
antboii (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 07:54 AM

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
2013 w204 c250 coupe & 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins
Originally Posted by CryptoJoe
Would you recommend buying the OEM part directly from Mercedes? Or will an aftermarket part work?
@CryptoJoe

heres the parts I used when I did the OFH:

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/MB-2710180929 - low pressure PCV if you plan on changing this.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/AH-2711801410 - oil filter housing I bought. Came with gasket.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...ket-kit-735130 - intake manifold gaskets

I went with the cheapy autohaus OFH, came with a new gasket. I DID end up using the original MB oil filter cap that says “turbo” on it. it’s been since January and no leaks.

I had a crankcase pressure problem so I also changed the low pressure PCV vacuum tree (link above). When I thought that was my positive crankcase problem.

I also bought new intake manifold gaskets since that has to come off and my car had 100k miles on it.

I would also have coolant ready and new oil and filter. You’ll have to drain coolant and oil to do the change so have all those fluids and filter ready when you’re gonna tackle the job.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

ant
Old 03-16-2024, 11:03 AM

C250 2013
Here are the parts I bought before replacing the oil filter housing, some of them I did not need but wanted to have them on beforehand.
I had to order this after I removed the intake manifold, I bent the pipe while flipping over to remove a torx screw holding this purge line.
271-018-14-00-64 - Purge Line.

651-153-00-28-28 - Temperature Sensor
027-997-90-48 - Sealing Ring, Coolant Hose
271-203-03-82 - Coolant Hose
910143-008017 - Bolt, Oil filter housing x5
910143-006002 - Bolt, Line to cylinder head x1
271-096-02-80 - Gasket seal
271-200-23-52 - Coolant line
271-096-03-80 - Elastomer molded seal
271-096-00-80 - Elastomer molded seal
266-141-01-80 - Gasket
271-230-16-65 - Vacuum pump

Here are some good place to buy on line including FCPEuro.
https://www.mboflaredo.com/

https://www.buybenzparts.com/

https://www.germanautoparts.com/

https://www.rmeuropean.com/
antboii (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:04 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
What are the torque specs for the manifold and oil filter housing? I’ll be doing this job real soon. Any other preventive maintenance items that I would want to change while in there?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil filter housing removal on C250 2013