C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2023 | 07:20 AM

c180
Help needed

Dash and fog and headlight icons and dials keep flashing with no key in
Plus car won't start unless 8 disconnect the batter for 1 hours

C180 2008
Old 12-14-2023 | 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Disconnecting the battery for an hour does at least two things: it may clear or reset trouble codes, but also may reset configurations, AND it stops anything draining the battery.

How old is the battery? It may be weak or failing.

Scan the car for trouble codes. Electrical problems are tough to resolve, but any codes will help the troubleshooting.

I recommend you get your own Mercedes-specific scanner, such as iCarsoft MB V3.0, LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ, or Foxwell NT 510 so that you can scan your car at any time. In the US, they are pretty inexpensive compared to what I've seen them sell for elsewhere. Still, you really need one, especially if you have an older car. They are small enough to store in your car (such as the fuse compartment in the trunk). Sometimes a code may cause the car to run rough and clearing it will restore normal operation until you get a chance to check it out.

(Do not waste your money on the iCarsoft MB II. It is slower and requires you to check each module for codes. MB V3.0 runs an automatic scan and will identify modules with DTCs so you don't need to check 30 or 40 modules individually.)
Old 12-14-2023 | 08:20 AM

C-Class
Hi dhav, I hope this helps.The symptoms you've described—dash and fog/headlight icons flashing with no key in the ignition and the car not starting unless the battery is disconnected for an hour—suggest potential electrical issues within the vehicle.

Given the nature of the problem, using a diagnostic scanner like the youcanic scanner to read the fault codes stored in the car's computer is highly recommended. The fault codes can provide crucial information about the specific issues triggering these symptoms, allowing for a more targeted and effective repair.

Based on the symptoms you've described, potential causes could include electrical malfunctions, a faulty immobilizer system, issues with the vehicle's key, or problems with the car's control modules. However, diagnosing the problem accurately would greatly benefit from retrieving the specific fault codes through a diagnostic scanner.

Seeking professional assistance or consulting a mechanic knowledgeable about Mercedes-Benz vehicles might be necessary to perform a thorough diagnostic check and resolve the issue effectively. Additionally, accessing repair manuals like YOUCANIC pro repair manuals can offer detailed OEM procedures for troubleshooting and fixing electrical issues in your specific vehicle model.
Old 12-16-2023 | 04:14 AM

c180
Hi the battery is new only few months old
I am not able to read codes as it comes up with error pls connect obd
Old 12-16-2023 | 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by dhav
Hi the battery is new only few months old
I am not able to read codes as it comes up with error pls connect obd
Then it may be a problem with the OBD port. Check your fuses. This may help.

Old 12-16-2023 | 09:59 AM

C-Class
If you're encountering difficulty reading codes with your OBD scanner and consistently receiving an error prompting you to connect the OBD, here are some steps you can take:

-Check Connection: Ensure that the OBD scanner is securely connected to the vehicle's OBD port. Check for any loose connections or debris obstructing the connection.Power Cycle: Turn off the scanner, disconnect it from the OBD port, and restart both the vehicle and the scanner. Reconnect the scanner and try reading the codes again.
-Scanner Compatibility: Confirm that your OBD scanner is compatible with your vehicle's make, model, and year. Sometimes, certain scanners might not support specific protocols or newer car models.Scanner Software Update: If your scanner has update capabilities, check for available software updates. Updating the scanner's software can resolve potential compatibility issues.
-Try Another Scanner: If possible, test another OBD scanner or borrow one from someone else. This can help determine if the issue is with the scanner or the vehicle's OBD port.-Inspect the OBD Port: Check the vehicle's OBD port for any visible damage, such as bent pins or corrosion. Ensure there's no debris obstructing the connection.
​​​​​​​-Professional Assistance: If the issue persists despite these efforts, consider seeking help from a professional mechanic or technician. They might have specialized diagnostic tools to identify the problem.

Regarding a specific scanner recommendation, the Youcanic full system scanner is known for its ability to read fault codes from various control modules in the vehicle. Using a comprehensive scanner like the Youcanic might offer more in-depth diagnostic capabilities and aid in identifying the issue with your vehicle's OBD system.
Old 12-16-2023 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
My Foxwell scanner was having issues connecting to the car. In my case I had just downloaded the newest Mercedes software update, so I reverted back to the previous software version and it worked. I downloaded the new update a few days later and it worked.
Old 12-18-2023 | 06:58 AM

c180
It's not the scanner as ones I connect the battery the car works fine and I can read the car no error code and then say 5 mins then everything goes mad dash lights flash head lights came on
can not read obd port
One thing that don't change is my indicators stalk don't work even when I put the battery on first and the car is fine
And ones I take the key out that's it won't start and the EPs and run flat lights came on to

​​​​​​THe photos are what happens when I stop the car that's what comes up then it won't start again until I disconnect the battery for the next day

Last edited by dhav; 12-18-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2023 | 07:15 AM

C-Class
Have you checked the vehicle's fuse box and relay panels for any blown fuses or relays that might be related to these electrical systems? Replace any damaged fuses. Also inspect the wiring harness and ground connections for any damage, corrosion, or loose connections. Poor grounding can cause various electrical malfunctions.
The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (12-18-2023)