C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Any problems with your new C-class W205 Mercedes Benz ?
Yes
63.49%
No
36.51%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C220
Hi Greg, I'm glad they figured it out. I'll tell the dealership when I bring it in. I also just noticed that the blue ambient lighting isn't working on the rear drivers side door. The other colours are fine, just the blue.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
Ran into this bug with the car. On two separate days on the freeway.

Sunday - Tire pressure sensor not working
Tuesday - ESC & Collision Warning not working

Both times the car would go into 7th gear or something... when I accelerate from a stop it takes forever to get up to speed. After I turn the car off and on, it goes back to normal.

The car is now at the dealer, but apparently they don't know what's wrong with it... luckily I took photos.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Looks like getting a 2016 model would be worth the wait
Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Stupid comment
Old 12-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
Two Door Handle LED lights have died ...

Two of these have died on me yet, and a third one has started flickering. Probably a manufacturing defect. They'll change the complete door handles when they get them, as they're back-ordered.

Originally Posted by jbbeauso
I have another issue although it is minor. The LED light that illuminates my rear passenger side door handle stopped working today....given the normal life span of LED lights, I'm inclined to believe it is an electrical problem and not an issue with the LED itself
Old 12-21-2014, 01:32 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by Eilers
Stupid comment
is not stupid. after reading this thread I think exactly the same. is just our opinion
Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Why do you think the 2016 models will be any better? Most of the serious defects described here involve the COMAND system or the keyless systems. Neither system is new.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:56 PM

S205
Originally Posted by Sol01
is not stupid. after reading this thread I think exactly the same. is just our opinion
Nah--- Looking at what you drive.. It's jealousy.. pure and simple.

I call it when i see it..
Old 12-21-2014, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by ecnavalleb
Two of these have died on me yet, and a third one has started flickering. Probably a manufacturing defect. They'll change the complete door handles when they get them, as they're back-ordered.
I guess I'll join the crowd. Today, I noticed my driver's side door handle LED is not working. The others are all fine, but that one just quit.

I'm not making another trip to the dealer for this, but will have it taken care of next time I schedule a service visit.

So far the issues have been very minor, but they do get annoying since they just seem to keep coming.

1. Steering column recall/inspection. (No problem.)
2. Continental front tire recall and replacement.
3. Replacement of badly fit fuel filler door. (And subsequent repair of paint damage caused during that work.)
4. Alignment issue.
5. Headlights had to be re-aligned.
6. Door LED stopped working.

I only own this car for three months and have already been to my dealer's service department more than any other car I've ever owned ... with the exception of a 1995 Dodge Intrepid which practically lived at the dealer until Chrysler bought it back.

The C300 is a truly wonderful and competent vehicle, but the reliability has not been what I expected. Hopefully this will all even out in the future months as all these early build issues get worked out.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Nah--- Looking at what you drive.. It's jealousy.. pure and simple.

I call it when i see it..
I think you just need to grow up. pure and simple
Old 12-21-2014, 03:47 PM

S205
Nope, and you know what i am talking about.. It takes me a long time to describe in writing what lead me to this conclusion. I could go on about how many cars are sold, how few complaints there are, and how some apparent faults are cused by wrong user input. But i am not going to.

What your type fail to realise, is that only takes people who read a negative loaded comment like that, a few milliseconds to evaluate the situation and arrive at the conclusion that you two are jealous of others, for not owning this fine new car.

So you come around here, to rain on someones parade, because it makes you feel better.

Last edited by Eilers; 12-21-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sol01
Having owned several first year cars, I think there is some validity to your comment. It doesn't mean the car is in any way bad, just that there may be some things that can be improved as production moves on and problems are reported by owners and dealers.

I am not completely surprised by the many, primarily electronic, glitches that are showing up in the 2015 model year, especially with the US builds. For the Alabama plant, this is a new car and they are dealing with many domestic suppliers. The mechanicals seem to be rock solid, but quite a few owners have seen at least some problems with other areas. Luckily, the majority of issues seen so far have not affected the driveability of the car.

So, yes, I do think that at least the U.S. built cars are experiencing some first year teething problems. I also think that these issues are being dealt with and should dissipate with time. I have no regrets with my purchase of the C300 and, although I have had some annoying problems, there's no other car I'd rather own.

Last edited by StanNH; 12-24-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Nope, and you know what i am talking about.. It takes me a long time to describe in writing what lead me to this conclusion. I could go on about how many cars are sold, how few complaints there are, and how some apparent faults are cused by wrong user input. But i am not going to.

What your type fail to realise, is that only takes people who read a negative loaded comment like that, a few milliseconds to evaluate the situation and arrive at the conclusion that you two are jealous of others, for not owning this fine new car.

So you come around here, to rain on someones parade, because it makes you feel better.

right. that makes a lot more sense now

Last edited by Sol01; 12-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
Having owned several first year cars, I think there is some validity to your comment. It doesn't mean the car is in any way bad, just that there may be some things that can be improved as production moves on and problems are reported by owners and dealers.

I am not completely surprised by the many, primarily electronic, glitches that are showing up in the 2015 model year, especially with the US builds. For the Alabama plant, this is a new car and they are dealing with many domestic suppliers. The mechanicals seem to be rock solid, but quite a few owners have seen at least some problems with other areas. Luckily, the majority of issues seen so far have not affected the drivability of the car.

So, yes, I do think that at least the U.S. built cars are experiencing some first year teething problems. I also think that these issues are being dealt with and should dissipate with time. I have no regrets with my purchase of the C300 and, although I have had some annoying problems, there's no other car I'd rather own.

Couldn't agree more. I still think it is an amazing car and hope by the time the coupe comes out most of these early problems would be rectified. but obviously some morons in here take it personally
Old 12-21-2014, 05:21 PM

S205
No there is no validity to his comment.

Waiting for 2 years to buy a new car, to avoid minor bugs, is not a valid point.

Besides the underlying message is also something else entirely.

Seeing more electronic glitches, in a product that is packed with electronics in almost every mechanical component, can not be a surprise to anyone.

Ask any Automotive Technicican today.. 80% or more of the errors reported, is linked to electronic issues, and not pure mechanical.

Why do you think it's called a "Technician" and not a "Mechanic" ?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Door handle lights

After reading this thread I checked my door handle lights. The drivers door handle is not lit. All others are fine. I don't know how long it's been like this.

Drivers door handle LED doesn't light.

Last edited by BenzC400; 12-21-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzC400

After reading this thread I checked my door handle lights. The drivers door handle is not lit. All others are fine. I don't know how long it's been like this.

Drivers door handle LED doesn't light.
I think this may wind up being a very common problem on the Alabama cars.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM

'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
My C300 gets built 1/12/15. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision given the above issues. But I am switching from Lexus to MB because I'm bored with Japanese cars. Since I've ordered so many options on the C300 will my time at the service department increase compared to others with fewer options?

What's the chance that these early build bugs get worked out before my build date?

Consumer Reports gave this vehicle a great review (and that's why I am buying this car) and I know I'll have more service department time and I'm O.K. with that....in fact my salesman, who lives in the neighborhood, said he would take my car to the dealer (on his way to work) for any repairs.

So, I think I'm good...just wanted to express my nervousness!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
My C300 gets built 1/12/15. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision given the above issues. But I am switching from Lexus to MB because I'm bored with Japanese cars. Since I've ordered so many options on the C300 will my time at the service department increase compared to others with fewer options?

What's the chance that these early build bugs get worked out before my build date?

Consumer Reports gave this vehicle a great review (and that's why I am buying this car) and I know I'll have more service department time and I'm O.K. with that....in fact my salesman, who lives in the neighborhood, said he would take my car to the dealer (on his way to work) for any repairs.

So, I think I'm good...just wanted to express my nervousness!
Mostly minor PITA nuisance issues. The car is solid and, IMHO, worth the "bleeding edge" risk. My car's not being towed away because of a flaky door lamp.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 AM

'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Mostly minor PITA nuisance issues. The car is solid and, IMHO, worth the "bleeding edge" risk. My car's not being towed away because of a flaky door lamp.
Yes, ALL PITA. Door handle LED's not working, misaligned rear lenses, defective key fobs, steering error messages, etc, all cause concern, but none resulted in the car being towed.

So, like any new vehicle, these are issues great to know about but aren't deal breakers...just something to watch for.

And thanks to this forum, we all know about these issues. Think back, 10 or 15 years, when you purchased a vehicle and thought you were the only one with a defect. Now we know many drivers may have a similar issue, some of which have an easy fix.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
No there is no validity to his comment.

Waiting for 2 years to buy a new car, to avoid minor bugs, is not a valid point.

Besides the underlying message is also something else entirely.

Seeing more electronic glitches, in a product that is packed with electronics in almost every mechanical component, can not be a surprise to anyone.

Ask any Automotive Technicican today.. 80% or more of the errors reported, is linked to electronic issues, and not pure mechanical.

Why do you think it's called a "Technician" and not a "Mechanic" ?
This is the final time I (and I urge others) will respond to your immature comments about jealously. Fact: it is well known that the first model year will suffer the greatest reliability issues. Fact: most changes are not entered into the production line until the middle of the model year, or even the second year.

Where you are wrong is that you say we are surprised by the glitches, by which we are not, as we already expect the 1st model year to have problems. We are simply noting that we would rather wait till all the bugs, either electronic or mechanical, are worked out before purchasing. I am not sure how you can draw the conclusion that we are "jealous."

Every car on the road is advanced and everything is controlled by computers, but some brands come out on top and some don't. MB has been whipping out new product after new product these past few years, but I believe maybe at the expense of fully testing out their products. I remember consumer reports special mentioning the CLA and the S class for their problems, thereby lowering the score of MB's overall reliability.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
I think this may wind up being a very common problem on the Alabama cars.
Yup! Man was the rear right passenger door handle....
Old 12-22-2014, 05:37 AM

S205
This is the final time I (and I urge others) will respond to your immature comments about jealously. Fact: it is well known that the first model year will suffer the greatest reliability issues. Fact: most changes are not entered into the production line until the middle of the model year, or even the second year.

Where you are wrong is that you say we are surprised by the glitches, by which we are not, as we already expect the 1st model year to have problems. We are simply noting that we would rather wait till all the bugs, either electronic or mechanical, are worked out before purchasing. I am not sure how you can draw the conclusion that we are "jealous."

Every car on the road is advanced and everything is controlled by computers, but some brands come out on top and some don't. MB has been whipping out new product after new product these past few years, but I believe maybe at the expense of fully testing out their products. I remember consumer reports special mentioning the CLA and the S class for their problems, thereby lowering the score of MB's overall reliability.
All of the above is no news to anyone. You are straying from what this is aboutm and you are also contradicting yourself. The phrasing of that comment was in general tems, stating that a wait it worth it for EVERYONE, and not YOU only.

Only a complete (mind warped) perfectionist, will find it worth waiting for 1 or 2 years to avoid having to swap an LED light or something other completely trivial. The joy of having a brand new model, far exceeds these small and negligent issues.

The core is that it is a stupid comment to make. It was founded in childish jealousy.

There has been a recall for steering rack (global) and tires in the US.

It was fixed no drama.

Outside this, there has been nothing but belly-button-picking minor problemes reported for the model in general. This is now bering blown out of proportion.

One guy reporting a problem with the ESC system is not a general problem. So save the drama until we see a serious problem.

Last edited by Eilers; 12-22-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:02 AM

S205
Originally Posted by pcdsl
Ran into this bug with the car. On two separate days on the freeway.

Sunday - Tire pressure sensor not working
Tuesday - ESC & Collision Warning not working

Both times the car would go into 7th gear or something... when I accelerate from a stop it takes forever to get up to speed. After I turn the car off and on, it goes back to normal.

The car is now at the dealer, but apparently they don't know what's wrong with it... luckily I took photos.

Outside the tires sensor, we had this exact same problem on a new car of a different brand. It was a couple of sensor cables, located at the bottom of the car, that had become loose and was working intermittendly when in the wet in combination with driving over uphill or downhill roads. (water creeping in)

It was most likely caused after we drove over some low undergrowth at a wedding, where we had to park in a field. (leaves and branches was found stuck at the point of the cable connections) It was reconnected at no charge, problem solved.

Not saying this is what causes your problem, especially since you wrote the dealers could not immediately find the cause of the problem.

But based on the reactions a story like yours can prompt, it is worth mentioning, that a problem seemingly identical to yours, can sometimes be caused by others factors then general production or quality issues.

Last edited by Eilers; 12-22-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM

well said. is best to ignore immature people

Last edited by Sol01; 12-22-2014 at 07:04 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?