C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Any problems with your new C-class W205 Mercedes Benz ?
Yes
63.49%
No
36.51%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205

I have an annoyingsound underneath my steering wheel. A little ‘ticking, knocking’ sound for 2 or3 seconds after starting and driving 200/300 meters. I noticed it at 12/13 K kmIt’s now 17K. Car has been back to the dealer, they’ve controlled it, but foundnothing. Although they have re-fitted some parts, I still have this sound.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
Noticed a coupe of days ago that the car hesitates for 1/2 of a second when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. resulting in a little "bump", also happens from 4th to 5th, but not as noticable.
Went to the dealer, and set up an appointment next week. The mechanic said that he had read something in "DIPS??" (not sure if i am spelling this right) about this....

Also the car says that i have to change the batteries for the key. I have key less og start. Told the dealer, and he thought it was odd, as i had only had the car for 6 months.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C Class 4 Matic
Reliability of MB from a first time MB owner (Japanese prior)

For those who are concerned about their decision to try 2015 C300:

This is my first Mercedes after several Japanese including the final 3 that were Acura TL. I have now had the car for 1 month and 4 days and have so far driven 985 miles as of today. My car has not experienced any hesitation or mechanical issues so far (fingers crossed). I purchased this car based on the glowing reviews, the value for money (Lease was actually cheaper on a loaded MB than Acura TL), my test drive car impressed me, drive-ability, MB name and associated prestige.

The only problem which is resolved is the car would not unlock. But since I have stopped having the Iphone in the same hand as my MB key, I have not had this problem. The mileage has been 25.8 over the 985 miles which is about 45% highway and remaining local roads. The highway drive is at 20 mph in bumper to bumper traffic. So I consider this good mileage.

The car is extremely quiet, drives wonderful, very stable, grips road and has enough power and oomph even with 4 cylinder.

Those of you who are concerned, please test drive the car and let the ride of car decide if you like the car or not. Don't let isolated experiences here drive your decision. Remember most people who have positive experiences do not go out of way to write about their car.

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
My C300 gets built 1/12/15. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision given the above issues. But I am switching from Lexus to MB because I'm bored with Japanese cars. Since I've ordered so many options on the C300 will my time at the service department increase compared to others with fewer options?

What's the chance that these early build bugs get worked out before my build date?

Consumer Reports gave this vehicle a great review (and that's why I am buying this car) and I know I'll have more service department time and I'm O.K. with that....in fact my salesman, who lives in the neighborhood, said he would take my car to the dealer (on his way to work) for any repairs.

So, I think I'm good...just wanted to express my nervousness!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by Eilers
Outside the tires sensor, we had this exact same problem on a new car of a different brand. It was a couple of sensor cables, located at the bottom of the car, that had become loose and was working intermittendly when in the wet in combination with driving over uphill or downhill roads. (water creeping in)

It was most likely caused after we drove over some low undergrowth at a wedding, where we had to park in a field. (leaves and branches was found stuck at the point of the cable connections) It was reconnected at no charge, problem solved.

Not saying this is what causes your problem, especially since you wrote the dealers could not immediately find the cause of the problem.

But based on the reactions a story like yours can prompt, it is worth mentioning, that a problem seemingly identical to yours, can sometimes be caused by others factors then general production or quality issues.
Thanks... my dealer didn't want to hear any "internet" suggestions. So they told me to keep an eye on it and go back if it happens again. Kinda annoying, but we'll see what happens. At least i got some free wipers lol.

Also, it appears that this situation is similar to mine, as it also happened on the same stretch of highway. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245...ator-loss.html

Here's what the dealer performed:

Last edited by pcdsl; 12-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 PM

w205
After the first week my brakes started squealing slightly.

Now they seem to be squealing more (except when wet) and I have done ~1800km.

Will book some time at the dealer after the holidays.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by rapalax
After the first week my brakes started squealing slightly.

Now they seem to be squealing more (except when wet) and I have done ~1800km.

Will book some time at the dealer after the holidays.
Sometimes a glaze can form and cause the squealing. Try some very hard braking to see if that will stop the noise.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by StanNH
Sometimes a glaze can form and cause the squealing. Try some very hard braking to see if that will stop the noise.
You can also try some hard breaking while in reverse.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C220 AMG Line Premium Plus Coupe
10 days in, my navi system couldn't find me. Put me in an "off-road" area, not far from where I actually was. I haven't used it very much so far because I haven't gone far from home, but my son asked me to put it on.

Very strange.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:50 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by StanNH
I think this may wind up being a very common problem on the Alabama cars.
Now the lights on both rear handles are out! They failed within a week apart.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:13 PM

C400,IS-F
3000 miles, a few issues

Issues:
- driver's side door handle light works from time to time.
- touchpad is temperamental
- SD card playback works from time to time, but copying files to HDD solves the issue
- MB internet apps usually do not work to a point where I gave up trying and cancelled the service
- steering wheel controls are confusing
- voice recognition does not recognize thick Polish accent

All of this are very minor problems and I am actually very happy with the quality of my C400.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:18 PM

W205
Originally Posted by Lisadj
10 days in, my navi system couldn't find me. Put me in an "off-road" area, not far from where I actually was. I haven't used it very much so far because I haven't gone far from home, but my son asked me to put it on.

Very strange.
Ig it only happened once I don't think this is a map or car problem, but a disruption of GPS in general.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
My C300 gets built 1/12/15. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision given the above issues. But I am switching from Lexus to MB because I'm bored with Japanese cars. Since I've ordered so many options on the C300 will my time at the service department increase compared to others with fewer options?

What's the chance that these early build bugs get worked out before my build date?

Consumer Reports gave this vehicle a great review (and that's why I am buying this car) and I know I'll have more service department time and I'm O.K. with that....in fact my salesman, who lives in the neighborhood, said he would take my car to the dealer (on his way to work) for any repairs.

So, I think I'm good...just wanted to express my nervousness!
Lexus and Toyota are not perfect but they don't tend to suffer from the electronic issues as the Germans.

Owning or leasing a German car comes with growing pains.

I leased the C400 for its power, MPG, comfort, attractive interior and exterior. It's not perfect and it will have bugs. Get to know your service advisor in your area and be ready to drive a loaner car.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM

C400,IS-F
Every car has issues

Originally Posted by TopGun32
Lexus and Toyota are not perfect but they don't tend to suffer from the electronic issues as the Germans.
I would disagree. I had 3 Lexuses (and still have one) and they also tend to have weird issues. Actually the weird electrical issues with my wife's GS 460 were the reason we swapped it for C400.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Stupid comment
Eilers ~ you will maintain decorum on this forum or we'll give you a couple of weeks in the sin bin. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and it is every bit as valid as yours.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 PM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by pcdsl
Thanks... my dealer didn't want to hear any "internet" suggestions. So they told me to keep an eye on it and go back if it happens again. Kinda annoying, but we'll see what happens. At least i got some free wipers lol.

Also, it appears that this situation is similar to mine, as it also happened on the same stretch of highway. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245...ator-loss.html

Here's what the dealer performed:

So error came back again tonight. I drove home and left the car running, plugged in my ODB reader and the code: P2138 came up. I think its something wrong with the throttle / pedal position sensor / switch D / E voltage correlation. I'll bring this back to the dealer on Monday... such a waste of time.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yep.

P2138 = Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D" / "E" Voltage Correlation
Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

BTW ~ You can try a throttle reset.

Door closed!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

All this does is the align the throttle body throttle plate with the pedal. So full pedal movement = WOT. Sometimes loses calibration.

I'm not very hopeful in your case.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:12 PM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
BTW ~ You can try a throttle reset.

Door closed!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

All this does is the align the throttle body throttle plate with the pedal. So full pedal movement = WOT. Sometimes loses calibration.

I'm not very hopeful in your case.
Thanks, I just did that... probably defective pedal. Will go into the dealer on Monday to tell them to fix it. It's annoying when I can't accelerate on the highway when this happens.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

That's wierd. The Hall sensor circuit is dual channel. For both to go down at the same time is to say the least unusual. Make 'em fix it.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:39 AM

S205
Unless they did somthing out of the ordinary with the design on this car in particular, changing the pedal sensor is a 5 min job. Usually no tools required.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
Engine not turning off on stop lights.

Mine was reluctant to stop engine on stoplights. Complained to dealer and I think they did a firmware update. OK now.

Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
Small issue in comparison to some others on here but niggly and annoying nevertheless....

The start stop technology hasn't worked since day 2 of ownership. 1,700 miles (and two weeks) into the W205 and despite the range of driving the bloody thing won't turn off at traffic lights. I just have the amber A on the dash all the time regardless of how much charge is apparently going back into the engine during my runs.

It's just annoying that it's so different to the W204 which used to cut out at every opportunity.

At least my getaways are faster I suppose
Old 12-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Unless they did somthing out of the ordinary with the design on this car in particular, changing the pedal sensor is a 5 min job. Usually no tools required.
Repair requires replacement of the FBW pedal assembly. The Hall sensor is not available as a separate unit.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C220 AMG Line Premium Plus Coupe
Originally Posted by Hans H
Ig it only happened once I don't think this is a map or car problem, but a disruption of GPS in general.
Ok thank you. It hasn't happened again yet.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
This thread has been a gold mine of good information!
Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 PM

2015 C300 4Matic, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Package, Panorama Sunroof
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
I would approach my car with the key on me and try to open the door like I normally would with keyless go, only the door doesn't open. Same thing when trying the other door handles. ...

Has anyone else experienced this?
I've only had my C300 for a few days and I haven't encountered that issue. However, I've encountered it with my Lexus which has a similar key system. The Lexus salesman explained that having the key in close proximity to my cell phone can cause trouble and I've verified this through personal experience. When you encounter the problem, try moving your phone away from your keys and hopefully that will resolve your issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?