C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmester vs Basic Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Some AIX recordings are excellent & the you have DVD Audio & SACD of course. DVD audio is dead & SACD on life support.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I switched recently to SACD and I can admit they provide excellent quality. However listening them over BT degrades quality, so I am curious if I can somehow directly to plug to DAC of the car sound system?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204
thanks for reply!

unfortunaly i dont have a dvd/cd.

nowadays i download with aTube Catcher MP3 320 Kbps 4800hz. I just find a music youtube and download via this program, and copy to pendrive.

can i have better quality or this is okay?

thanks!!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I can observe two sources providing better quality then CD
1. Vinyl rips, although the do not provide really high dynamic range, they are still better than MP3 in frequency coverage, read more here http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...hs_%28Vinyl%29
2. DSD encoded music, you can currently get from SACD or direct DSD online stores as http://bluecoastrecords.com/
You can download samples of differently encoded music from them just to figure out if you really hear difference. Regarding SACD you can find plenty of their images in different P2P networks. As playback devices you can use as special devices as some smart phones. Additional software for playback can be required.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Originally Posted by n3cr1d
thanks for reply!

unfortunaly i dont have a dvd/cd.

nowadays i download with aTube Catcher MP3 320 Kbps 4800hz. I just find a music youtube and download via this program, and copy to pendrive.

can i have better quality or this is okay?

thanks!!
I am sure you made a few posters on here cringe with that Tube Catcher MP3 statement just joking.
I am not sure which version of the W204 you have that does not have a standard CD Player.
The answer to your last question is always yes you can have better quality.
Being so young you probably do not own any CD's which just makes me feel ancient.
The YouTube stuff you download is all over the map when it comes to any consistent sampling quality. So its like you hear us older folks say, you get out what you put in.
You owe it to yourself to sample the other alternatives to iTunes and the download music scene.
Now HD Radio and Satellite radio are good choices if you are into the Pop music scene.
However you should just go into an audio specialty store in your area or even better, look up any up coming audio shows. Don't be intimidated by the prices that you see there are good systems for every price point once you determine that the difference in sound quality is something that you can perceive and more importantly desire.
If you don't hear a big difference then the new C Class has two USB inputs and Bluetooth that I am sure will accommodate any music that you currently own.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM

w204
thanks for reply again!!

Leslielp, here in Brazil things are hard and terrible... dont have HD Radio, Satellite etc...

The c250 here is R$200.000,00 reais (90.000,00 dollars), and we cant have Burmester sound, only standard.

I think Catcher and USB is good for me and my simple system.

thansk again!!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by Leslielp
If you don't hear a big difference then the new C Class has two USB inputs and Bluetooth that I am sure will accommodate any music that you currently own.
Plus an SD card slot! Extremely convenient for everyone. I sometimes use bluetooth or plug in my phone because I love seeing the album art on the screen. I would put my music in a SD card but I would like to use the call feature when driving.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
High-resolution Downloads

I have not looked online for a long time for high resolution audio but after searching today I cannot believe the amount of information out there! 2014 is the year that FINALLY high resolution audio is coming of age. There is no reason to persist with yesterdays technology (Bluetooth, CD's, MP3's etc) unless you seriously like subjecting yourself to substandard conditions - and if that is the case then why are you driving a Mercedes?

The best way I can see to play hi-res in your vehicle is to actually have a computer with a USB DAC connected to your audio line-in on the cars head unit. There are numerous USB DACs available with one of the most popular being the Dragonfly. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=dragonfly+dac The computer will need to be running software also capable of playing high resolution audio. Currently the best option is JRiver Media Center. http://www.jriver.com/download.html
I also understand there is a new portable player (developed in conjunction with Neil Young) which has been specifically created for high resolution. I imagine many more alternatives will soon become available.

As can be seen in this chart there is a vast difference in quality between the various digital formats. iTunes music recorded at 128kbps does not even make it into the above comparison let alone YouTube audio - sheesh let's not even go there!

Originally Posted by Dema
I can observe two sources providing better quality then CD
1. Vinyl rips, although the do not provide really high dynamic range, they are still better than MP3 in frequency coverage, read more here http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...hs_%28Vinyl%29
This is not entirely accurate. I have many vinyl rips made by myself and others but these are all ripped from audiophile quality vinyl (180gsm virgin vinyl from original master tapes recorded at high resolution and mostly remastered). Also when they are ripped it is through ultra high quality audiophile grade equipment using specialized software, tweaked and filtered, then output into a high quality hi-res format. Of course the result must be played through a system capable playing the hi-res format that you have encoded the tracks into. But even after all this the result will never be anything like the original since it has now been converted to digital and on playback must again be converted back to analog so the audio will be determined by the quality of the DAC used in playback - and of course the quality of the encoder used to digitize as part of the procedure above. Regardless no matter if one has spent tens of thousands on equipment the original analog has been tampered in various ways on its route to your ears and can no longer be considered a clean signal. Importantly the dynamic range which is fabulous and can create real tension and emotion and which vinyl can convey so well (if the producer hasn't used excessive compression) is seriously impaired during this encoding process.

High-resolution audio file types

When you purchase high-res music tracks you can usually choose from several file format options. Hi-res players and software don’t always support all file types, so make sure you choose files that are compatible with your setup. Uncompressed and lossless files should theoretically sound the same.

Uncompressed files >

PCM – the basic audio file format for digital music, whether it's MP3, CD-quality, or high-resolution.
WAV – the main audio format for Windows-based computers.
AIFF – the main audio file format for Apple® computers.
DSD – the only non-PCM-based file type listed here. This format stores audio in a fundamentally different way than PCM.

Lossless-compressed files >

FLAC – an increasingly popular lossless audio option, however, it’s not compatible with some music playback software, including iTunes.
ALAC– aka Apple Lossless, the main lossless audio option for Apple computers.

Some online retailers for Hi-Res Audio >
http://www.highresaudio.com/
http://www.prostudiomasters.com/
http://www.hdtracks.com/
http://itrax.com/
http://www.24bit96.com/24bit96khz-do...-download.html
plus many more...

More info >
http://www.whathifi.com/news/high-re...u-need-to-know
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/who-need...olution-music/

Last edited by TheTherapist; 09-09-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
That audio bit rate comparison displays very clearly why MP3 sucks.

And then of course we have MLP, Meridian Lossless Packing. Responsible for the great multi channel hi res we hear on well recorded BluRay.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
I have the Bang and Olfsen in my 2014 SLS roadster. It rocks! With the top down, on the road, I can really crank it up to the point that there is no road noise. When I do this there is this great sound that emanates from the speakers that makes it seem like I'm listening in the coupe.

But $6,000????
Old 09-10-2014, 01:23 PM

SLK 350 2011, GLK 350 2012, SL550 2009, S550 2008,GL450 2015
Mercedes Benz Sound Systems

I've an SLK300 with HK speakers, and a GLK350 with the standard speakers. The sound system in my Chevy Cruse Eco sounds better, and the Bose in my Yukon is great. Plus the navigation is expensive, requires yearly updates, and isn't as good as Apple Maps or Google maps. Benz should step up and do a better job here. Isn't it all or nothing?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:53 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Now that I have had time to play with it and tune it a bit I will say other than the one in the S Class its the best stock system I've heard
Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 PM

2005 W203 C320
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
The acoustics of the environment play a crucial role in audio quality and the impact and enjoyment of your music. When reproducing music within a home environment one has far more opportunity to compensate for poor acoustics primarily with speaker placement although there's many other ways to "voice' an audiophile rig allowing for more musical enjoyment. I have known audiophiles with high end systems to throw big money at component upgrades in search of better sound when the law of diminishing returns makes the upgrade of negligible benefit. Often a simple throw rug or furniture rearrangement will yield more pleasing audio.

Conversely musical reproduction in an automobile does not allow for this versatility when fine tuning for musical enjoyment. Speaker positions are fixed, cabinets are not sized ideally, voltages, amps and ohms are inappropriate for high end reproduction and the space cannot be tailored for optimum "sweet spot" enjoyment. In addition there are other negative conditions to detract from the overall experience including road noise and visual distractions. A true and honest sound is simply impossible to reproduce due to inherent limitations of the hostile environment - for instance deep bass requires a large open space to be interpreted correctly, the deeper the bass the larger the space, whereas in a limited area the low frequencies need to be artificially inflated sounding bloated and muddy or alternatively if left unboosted the resulting sound is perceived as hollow and lacking in substance. Ideally an audiophile system should not require any equalization. And we haven't even touched upon all the inappropriately positioned reflective surfaces in the confines of a car which audio waves bounce off in an impossible to compensate for cacophony.

Surprisingly also the human ears are one of the weakest components in the entire audio chain from the music source through to the listeners brain where the result is processed.

More pertinent though are the acoustics of the vehicle interior which can have the most dramatic impact on the perceived audio quality. Mercedes have one big immediate advantage in that the interior is generally solid with no hollow surfaces or flimsy panels likely to reverberate or impact the sound adversely although the shape of your interior is fixed and cannot be easily compensated for. Ensuring correct speaker placement is paramount for creating a vibrant and engaging sound stage.

abstractls has argued in favor of Focal speakers and I have used Focal in a couple of my Mercs. As far as I am concerned they are unrivaled in car audio with superior imaging and a crisp sweet high end that is unmatched by any competitor. Interestingly though the best car audio that I have experienced was in my first ever Merc, a W123 1978 280E in which I installed a set of the least expensive Focal speakers: 5inch 2 ways in the front and 6.5inch 2 ways in the rear. The solid chassis restricted bass extending from the trunk which was provided by an Alpine subwoofer. After attempting many fixes the final solution was to place the subwoofer in the center of the rear seat where it could breathe in unison with the other frequencies comprising the music. The sound provided was a treat that one had to hear to truly appreciate. In a later Mercedes I installed much more expensive Focals together with a higher end 16 volt head unit but could never recreate that special sound inherent to the W123 chassis interior. I use this example to illustrate the fact that equipment quality alone does not automatically guarantee superior sound quality.

There is something else not often considered when evaluating audio - no equipment, no matter how expensive or esoteric, will ever truly recreate the experience of listening to live music. All components, especially speakers will permeate their own unique sound into the audio playing through them. So like a piece of art that the viewer finds satisfying so too does the listener connect with the audio signature that they find pleasing making the experience truly subjective with no one solution being ultimately correct.

You just made my day! As I read this discussion, I was just thinking of the most satisfying sound reproduction of cars I have own or driven and surprisingly it was my Old W123 300D N/A. The 78HP Diesel engine had a Symphony of its own.

Much as you did... But with a Kendwood head unit, front & rear Alpine 2 way speakers, One Rockfordfosgate 12" trunk mounted bass in a custom 3-4 sq./ft. bass box pushing up, into the cabing after removing the first-aid kit, all the speakers were filter for maximum expextrum & minimum distortion. Any thing with enough power probably would have being better then the good old OEM Becker and paper speakers, but the reality was The sound reproduction was amassing. Many infotainments are very good, with myriad of possibility's but The Human Body and The Laws of Physics have not changed.

Last edited by Allrevup; 09-11-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM
nnk

W205
Originally Posted by c200amgline
I will most likely be getting my C200 in less than a week and I would like to know whether it is worth waiting 5 months to get place an order to get the Burmester audio sound system. It is $3080 extra in my country just for the Burmester.

Could someone please give me feedback regarding the basic audio?
Probably not relevant to you anymore (sorry), but I'd go for the Burmester sound system next time: I have the basic system now, that sounds OK, but I miss the basses I had in my previous (Bose) sound-system ..
Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 AM

W205 c180
Im probably one of the few thats not excited about Burmester. I have it on my car and I can confirm it looks premium, it does sound great on mids and highs. The thing I dont like are the lows.

The lows are being produced by a subwoofer. By default I find this a bad idea for music. Even for movies its not necessary if you have the right tower speakers.

The subwoofer sounds slow and lazy. Too much present, even when its being turned down with the awesome looking settings menu. A good bass iscompact, deep and supporting. The bass in this system doesnt work well for pop classic or dance to mention a few.

This is how I feel about it. It ruins the good highs and mids for me, atleast partly.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
The Burmester doesnt use a subwoofer as the previous h/k system, it is a pure three way system.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:21 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Originally Posted by Carnifex
Im probably one of the few thats not excited about Burmester. I have it on my car and I can confirm it looks premium, it does sound great on mids and highs. The thing I dont like are the lows.

The lows are being produced by a subwoofer. By default I find this a bad idea for music. Even for movies its not necessary if you have the right tower speakers.

The subwoofer sounds slow and lazy. Too much present, even when its being turned down with the awesome looking settings menu. A good bass iscompact, deep and supporting. The bass in this system doesnt work well for pop classic or dance to mention a few.

This is how I feel about it. It ruins the good highs and mids for me, atleast partly.
I'm a house music head and I have found the bass to be quite good, but I will agree that when you turn to lower levels the bass can be a little over powering, but at high levels its very good
Old 09-22-2014, 12:30 PM

W205 c180
Originally Posted by vic viper
The Burmester doesnt use a subwoofer as the previous h/k system, it is a pure three way system.
Hmmm then Im even more disappointed. I assumed it to be a sub because of how it sounded.

(I dont want to sound all negative so: the car ROCKS!)

Last edited by Carnifex; 09-22-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 PM

W205 c180
Originally Posted by abstractls
I'm a house music head and I have found the bass to be quite good, but I will agree that when you turn to lower levels the bass can be a little over powering, but at high levels its very good
Can you share your settings?
Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Originally Posted by Carnifex
Can you share your settings?
While it is against my usual rules of how to do an eq since in a proper system an EQ should be used for cutting not boosting I had boosted in this case. Bass at +4, Treble at+3 and mids are at either +1 or +2, but sometimes when driving at low levels I will drop the bass back to +1. I reprogrammed my favorites to have the eq setting as the first thing that shows to make it faster.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM

W205 c180
While it is against my usual rules of how to do an eq since in a proper system an EQ should be used for cutting not boosting I had boosted in this case. Bass at +4, Treble at+3 and mids are at either +1 or +2, but sometimes when driving at low levels I will drop the bass back to +1. I reprogrammed my favorites to have the eq setting as the first thing that shows to make it faster.
Interesting, Thanks. We are on the same page EQ wise. I normally only use it for cutting too.

Ill try this tonight and let you know.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Also I changed the surround for front seats only, it definitely made a difference. Yes usually cut only I agree, but they have some pretty good limiters on this, and on top of it, lets be honest its still a car so the environment isn't ideal anyway
Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM

W205 c180
Also I changed the surround for front seats only, it definitely made a difference. Yes usually cut only I agree, but they have some pretty good limiters on this, and on top of it, lets be honest its still a car so the environment isn't ideal anyway
Funny. Im in the car right now and my settings are:
Treble: +3
Midtones: +2
Bass: -5

So it seems we agree on most of the Burmester settings

Im still nog sure about the surround stuff. Sometimes its awesome, simetimes a mess.

Do you have by any chance have a + or - on the fader?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM

2015 C400 loaded
no my fader is flat with the surround being upfront
Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM

W205 c180
no my fader is flat with the surround being upfront
Have that one on +2 but 0 or +2 doesnt make the difference. Im almost thinking I have a faulty installation, but how can I possibly verify.

The bass is just to much. Tuning it down to -5 helps but then it lacks body where it needs it.

It cant be the burn in period either since that should have been done at the factory. Atleast thats how the sold it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burmester vs Basic Audio