C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Eco start stop feature ... Will it stay off ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by gfmohn
That other thread is "eco start/stop". Don't bother to go there; those guys say the same things you do.

You guys don't give up. You can't have what you want, because MB thinks they know better than you what you ought to want. I have been reading auto magazines since the 1960s, and MB's reputation for 'Mercedes engineers know best' was considered something everyone knew even then. Paul550 is right; it would be well within MB's corporate tradition to make auto stop/start/stop always on.

However, if MB listened to customers, you wouldn't have crumple zones, disc brakes, and the other safety features that are the main reason many customers buy Mercedes. In the mid-1950s, Ford tried to sell safety. It didn't work. This convinced the auto industry that safety was a loser. MB didn't listen. MB's safety research and the research of a few U.S. universities convinced Congress to mandate safety, whether customers and the U.S. auto industry wanted it or not.

(If you don't like pushing buttons when you start, you would have really hated the first seat belts! They were interlocked so you couldn't start the car unless you buckled them AFTER you sat down! That prevented you from just leaving them buckled behind you. The interlocks didn't work very well either. Drivers went crazy. Finally, voter referendums forced the safety industrial complex (already in full know-it-all bureaucrat mode) to back down.)

In a few years, you will have to push a button to enable the steering wheel! What are you going to do then? A few years after that, the first cars without a steering wheel will come out. The environmentalist establishment is determined to make that happen sooner than you think! You know what? A majority of auto buyers would camp out in the rain to buy those cars! Not just mothers either! Your road warrior businessmen will love turning driving time into productivity!

Very emotional and dramatic. "Golf clap"
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I've come to actually like the feature. When stopped at long traffic lights it makes for a peaceful wait. For whatever reason the AC still seems to work as far as I can tell. But it has only been in the 80s.

The feature feels jarring in the CLA but is much smoother in the C-Class.

In stop/go traffic I would just turn it off or modify my driving to not creep forward when there is nowhere to go or maintain a constant speed so as to not inch worm forward.

I've also noticed that light brake pressure seems to keep the engine running.

One just needs to learn to work with the car.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Cool "So much traffic on the way to the beach! It gets worse every winter!"

Originally Posted by michail71
But it has only been in the 80s.
In stop/go traffic I would just turn it off or modify my driving to not creep forward when there is nowhere to go or maintain a constant speed so as to not inch worm forward.
"But it has only been in the 80s." You're killing me! Where do you live? My sister lives in Phoenix; it was only 74 there today.

"In stop/go traffic I would just turn it off or modify my driving to not creep forward." Are you aware of the "Hold" feature? Just give the brake pedal a sharp stab after coming to a stop. A "Hold" message will illuminate in the center instrument panel, and the car will not creep forward or roll back on a hill. (If I have misunderstood your use of the word "creep" and you are indeed aware of this feature, perhaps some other reader will profit from this comment.)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by michail71
I've come to actually like the feature. When stopped at long traffic lights it makes for a peaceful wait. For whatever reason the AC still seems to work as far as I can tell. But it has only been in the 80s.
That is not true, only the fan keeps running. I live in south Florida, and you need A/C on 360 days a year. Stop start is useless here. No matter how long the stoplight, the engine never stays off for more than 15 seconds because the cabin heats up so fast. When that happens the engine will start - that's how the system works. I HATE this thing...
Old 02-06-2016, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by hpilot
That is not true, only the fan keeps running. I live in south Florida, and you need A/C on 360 days a year. Stop start is useless here. No matter how long the stoplight, the engine never stays off for more than 15 seconds because the cabin heats up so fast. When that happens the engine will start - that's how the system works. I HATE this thing...
So, who is forcing you to use eco start/stop? If you hate it, don't use it. I also live in Florida and agree with you that in a perpetually hot climate, the feature is not good. But then I have a choice as do you to simply not use it.

Agility Select

E
C
S
S+
I*

I use I*, which puts my car in the settings I prefer, such as Sport Steering, Comfort Engine, Comfort Climate Control AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Eco OFF. It takes mere seconds to put my car in I*. It probably takes more time to put on my seat belt.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 02-06-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
"But it has only been in the 80s." You're killing me! Where do you live? My sister lives in Phoenix; it was only 74 there today.

"In stop/go traffic I would just turn it off or modify my driving to not creep forward." Are you aware of the "Hold" feature? Just give the brake pedal a sharp stab after coming to a stop. A "Hold" message will illuminate in the center instrument panel, and the car will not creep forward or roll back on a hill. (If I have misunderstood your use of the word "creep" and you are indeed aware of this feature, perhaps some other reader will profit from this comment.)
Luckily it has cooled off some now but it has been a mostly warm winter here. When I have the AC on and it is hot it seems the car will cycle on more often. I wonder if that is what the AC settings are for in the custom mode?

I'd be happy to see some cool/cold weather for a while.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 AM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
So, who is forcing you to use eco start/stop? If you hate it, don't use it. I also live in Florida and agree with you that in a perpetually hot climate, the feature is not good. But then I have a choice as do you to simply not use it.

Agility Select

E
C
S
S+
I*

I use I*, which puts my car in the settings I prefer, such as Sport Steering, Comfort Engine, Comfort Climate Control AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Eco OFF. It takes mere seconds to put my car in I*. It probably takes more time to put on my seat belt.
Mercedes is forcing me to use it. This is opt out on every start. It should be opt IN. Using your Agility Select you still have an input on every start - it doesn't matter how quick it is. BMW can make the selections default - why can't Mercedes? Your arguments remind me of my wife. Every time I try to simplify or find shortcuts for a process of some kind, she says I am just lazy - I should just be satisfied doing it the hard way.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by hpilot

Mercedes is forcing me to use it. This is opt out on every start. It should be opt IN. Using your Agility Select you still have an input on every start - it doesn't matter how quick it is. BMW can make the selections default - why can't Mercedes? Your arguments remind me of my wife. Every time I try to simplify or find shortcuts for a process of some kind, she says I am just lazy - I should just be satisfied doing it the hard way.
I agree 100%...

The Mercedes ECO engine start/stop feature should at least STAY OFF when manually turned off, NOT default to "ON" every time the engine is shutoff or the performance mode is changed in/out of "C" or "S".

I don't care if the ECO engine start/stop feature defaults to "ON" in "ECO" mode...IMO that's the the ONLY time it should default to "ON".
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by MASSC300
I agree 100%...

The Mercedes ECO engine start/stop feature should at least STAY OFF when manually turned off, NOT default to "ON" every time the engine is shutoff or the performance mode is changed in/out of "C" or "S".

I don't care if the ECO engine start/stop feature defaults to "ON" in "ECO" mode...IMO that's the the ONLY time it should default to "ON".
Would I prefer it didn't default to eco on? Sure. But it doesn't, so I've learned to not get ruffled by it. I have a simple work around solution that works for 'me'. And no matter what we would prefer, it's clearly not what we've got.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 02-07-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport

I was just referring to how some drivers like to keep rolling forward after a stop. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that.

I love the hold feature. Many Mercedes drivers don't even seem to be aware of it.

Mostly what I do is toggle between S and S+ modes. If I come to a traffic light I'll come to a stop in C or S, go into hold. The when the light is ready to go green I'll flip into S+, which starts the engine and allows for smooth hard launch.

The agility toggle in this car kind of takes on the roll of a manual transmission in a car. It's so easy to use as it has a good tactile feel and you can see the color codes in the Comand screen in your peripheral vision.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
There are a ton of misconceptions and a lot of people who haven't read their manuals or bothered to ask qualified people how these features work.

For instance - it isn't going to pre-maturely wear out your "starter". This is discussed at length in the material MB puts out about how the feature works.

Another example is people talking about the air compressor not working when the engine shuts off - that is not true either and this depends on what specific setting the "Climate" portion of the Agility Select controls are set to. The system is designed very well and having driven several 2015 and 2016 C300 loaners I've never once had an issue with the feature and I think it's great. If the car must use the compressor to maintain the current set temperature the engine doesn't shut off - or at least the three C300's I drove did not and this was in the default Comfort setting. That said there were also times when I'd be at a very long light and the engine would be off and it would automatically start back up because the compressor needed to kick on.

Those of you who complain about the engine stopping/starting being rough need to complain to your dealers. They fixed this issue on the late 2015 and 2016 models. I know because I commented on the stark difference I felt from one loaner to another. I drove one early 2015 (two different times I ended up with this specific loaner) and I know exactly what you guys are talking about, but this is an actual defect that has been fixed. My dealer said they commonly perform the necessary software update (I think he even said it would be part of one of the standard A/B Services for that model year). My SA said this was also an issue on 2014/2015 CLA models and has been fixed on that chassis as well.

Last edited by jlr82; 02-10-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:41 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by jlr82
There are a ton of misconceptions and a lot of people who haven't read their manuals or bothered to ask qualified people how these features work.

For instance - it isn't going to pre-maturely wear out your "starter". This is discussed at length in the material MB puts out about how the feature works.

Another example is people talking about the air compressor not working when the engine shuts off - that is not true either and this depends on what specific setting the "Climate" portion of the Agility Select controls are set to. The system is designed very well and having driven several 2015 and 2016 C300 loaners I've never once had an issue with the feature and I think it's great. If the car must use the compressor to maintain the current set temperature the engine doesn't shut off - or at least the three C300's I drove did not and this was in the default Comfort setting. That said there were also times when I'd be at a very long light and the engine would be off and it would automatically start back up because the compressor needed to kick on.

Those of you who complain about the engine stopping/starting being rough need to complain to your dealers. They fixed this issue on the late 2015 and 2016 models. I know because I commented on the stark difference I felt from one loaner to another. I drove one early 2015 (two different times I ended up with this specific loaner) and I know exactly what you guys are talking about, but this is an actual defect that has been fixed. My dealer said they commonly perform the necessary software update (I think he even said it would be part of one of the standard A/B Services for that model year). My SA said this was also an issue on 2014/2015 CLA models and has been fixed on that chassis as well.
Well I'm glad you are such an expert. Since I don't know anything, I am confused. You say "Another example is people talking about the air compressor not working when the engine shuts off - that is not true either". Then you say "If the car must use the compressor to maintain the current set temperature the engine doesn't shut off" So which is it? If the compressor never turns off, why would the engine not shut off if the compressor was needed to maintain set temperature? I am confused.

Eco start stop feature ... Will it stay off ?-2016-02-10_212528.png
Old 02-10-2016, 10:12 PM

2018 C300
Your image from the manual explains it perfectly. My wording may have been poor.

The point I was trying to make was that using the feature doesn't affect the functionality of the A/C. If the car needs A/C the ECO function won't engage. What I was saying was that the opposite is also true, when the ECO stop function is engaged and the engine is stopped, if I crank down the A/C the engine starts up right away.

I understand people being critical of a feature like this, but all in all MB has the best implementation of it that I've ever used. My 2014 C250 does not have the ECO stop/start feature, but like I mentioned in my previous post I've spent too much time in various C300 loaners and have experimented a lot with this function in St. Louis City daily driving (ie no highway for me, ever). In the early 2015 I'll admit, the starting of the engine was sometimes rough, but when I noticed the 2016 was smooth as can be I mentioned it to the dealer and they explained that issue had been fixed.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:59 PM

2015 C300
Your image from the manual explains it perfectly. My wording may have been poor.

The point I was trying to make was that using the feature doesn't affect the functionality of the A/C. If the car needs A/C the ECO function won't engage. What I was saying was that the opposite is also true, when the ECO stop function is engaged and the engine is stopped, if I crank down the A/C the engine starts up right away.

I understand people being critical of a feature like this, but all in all MB has the best implementation of it that I've ever used. My 2014 C250 does not have the ECO stop/start feature, but like I mentioned in my previous post I've spent too much time in various C300 loaners and have experimented a lot with this function in St. Louis City daily driving (ie no highway for me, ever). In the early 2015 I'll admit, the starting of the engine was sometimes rough, but when I noticed the 2016 was smooth as can be I mentioned it to the dealer and they explained that issue had been fixed.
As they said in Cool Hand Luke "What we've got here is failure to communicate". "If the car needs A/C the ECO function won't engage". Absolutely not true. Here in South Florida, you ALWAYS need the A/C, and the ECO function will always engage. Then after 15-20 seconds when the sweat starts to roll down your face, the engine starts up - always. So yes, it DOES affect the functionality of the A/C. The manual I posted says very plainly if you want full A/C output, you have to turn off ECO Mode. This has nothing to do with cranking down the A/C after the engine shuts down. I had my "A" service last week, and the engine start is just as crappy.

Last edited by hpilot; 02-10-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:02 PM

2018 C300
Interesting, I didn't have that kind of experience. I usually keep the A/C at 70 and if I would crank it down shortly before a stop light the ECO stop would not stop. If I was at a light and the A/C was on 70 and I cranked it all the way down or pushed the max cool button the engine would immediately start back up. This was only in 85 degree weather though.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:11 PM

2018 C300
Also, about the rough starting issue being fixed with an update and that it was being done, this could have all been BS. The MB dealers around here are known for a lot of smoke blowing. What I know for sure is it was a night and day difference between the early 2015 and both of the 2016's that I drove. The 2016's also seemed more intelligent about when it would/wouldn't shut off the engine.

For example, I noticed that in the 2016 if I applied very light brake pressure to a stop and light pressure while holding the brake, the engine didn't shut off, but if I came to a stop and push down harder on the pedal (not to turn on HOLD, but just more pressure) it would shut off right away.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:16 PM

2015 C300
Also, about the rough starting issue being fixed with an update and that it was being done, this could have all been BS. The MB dealers around here are known for a lot of smoke blowing. What I know for sure is it was a night and day difference between the early 2015 and both of the 2016's that I drove. The 2016's also seemed more intelligent about when it would/wouldn't shut off the engine.

For example, I noticed that in the 2016 if I applied very light brake pressure to a stop and light pressure while holding the brake, the engine didn't shut off, but if I came to a stop and push down harder on the pedal (not to turn on HOLD, but just more pressure) it would shut off right away.
That could be, but unfortunately, I have a 2015...
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 PM

2018 C300
I'd complain to your dealer and see where that gets you on the rough start. I'll admit I drove a GLA for about a week and it's ECO stop/start was sooo terrible that I thought it was broken, but I've seen other GLA drivers mention it being a lot rougher than other MB models.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300 4matic
Eco Mode

I have a 2016 C300 4MATIC. The Eco mode engine start is very variable in terms of how noticeable (and annoying) it is. Sometimes it's reasonably smooth and other times, it seems to shake the car. I think I remember that when the dealer programmed the car settings, he asked which I wanted among Comfort, ECO, Sport, etc. to be the default. In searching through the Settings menu, I can't find any way to change the start-up option from Comfort to another setting, including one like Sport+ or Individual which would disable the eco option.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
You'd need to set up the Individualized slot in the Agility settings to have Auto Stop turned off and then switch to that mode every time you drove the car. I usually just hit the off switch on the console to kill it. I think having it as the default helps the car's fuel efficiency so it's not permanently defeatable.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM

2016 C180 / 96 Nissan Skyline R33
Brabus has an add-on that tracks the position of auto start stop switch and keeps it in memory and applies it every time you start your car. It is 349 Euro ($400) in Germany. I will post a website if i can find one. I am also tired of switching it off.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:49 PM

2016 C450, 2017 Porsche Macan
I've been leaving mine on and hardly notice it shutting off and restarting (if I'm not paying attention I don't notice at all, it's very smooth). I have noticed that in the mornings it shuts off at every stop but in the afternoons it doesn't. I guess this is because of the AC, which is always on as I live in the Phoenix area.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm disappointed this feature can't be turned off. I drive a lot, with many stops. I don't like it
Dave
'15 c400
Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by dlynch

I'm disappointed this feature can't be turned off. I drive a lot, with many stops. I don't like it
I don't like it either, very annoying at stop signs and in heavy traffic.

This "feature" would be less annoying if the delay was longer...say at least 5 seconds...so the engine stays on for those quick stops.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300
Quit all the whining and just hit the switch when you start the car. Can society really be that annoyed and get so irate over pressing a button? If so you all need to be in therapy or sell/don't buy a Mercedes Benz.

The human race is doomed...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Eco start stop feature ... Will it stay off ?