C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Eco start stop feature ... Will it stay off ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few different ones
Eco start stop feature ... Will it stay off ?

Hello everyone I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer yet but I wanted to know if someone can tell me if you shut off the Eco start stop feature will it stay off the next time you get into the car or does it always default to on when you first get into the car.

I have this feature in 2 of my cars and fortunately since I really don't like it it stays off and you never have to touch the button again. I hope the Mercedes does this ...
Old 10-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by AF330i
Hello everyone I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer yet but I wanted to know if someone can tell me if you shut off the Eco start stop feature will it stay off the next time you get into the car or does it always default to on when you first get into the car.

I have this feature in 2 of my cars and fortunately since I really don't like it it stays off and you never have to touch the button again. I hope the Mercedes does this ...

I have a C400. The ECO start/stop defaults to ON each time you start the car. If you want it off you must remember to press the off button each time you start the car or switch to an agility select position that doesn't use the ECO start/stop function. Unfortunately, each time you start the car, Agility Select defaults to the Comfort position and the ECO start/stop is on.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black

Well you could always setup your own "I"ndividual setup.
In the Command menu under Agility Select you get the menu of each setting, I am not sure if you can edit those, I have not tried it, will have to take a look.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by Leslielp
Well you could always setup your own "I"ndividual setup.
In the Command menu under Agility Select you get the menu of each setting, I am not sure if you can edit those, I have not tried it, will have to take a look.
You can set the Individual setting to turn off the ECO start/stop when you select the Individual setting. The car will still default to the Comfort setting upon restart and the ECO function will be on again.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Well its an easy fix if not automatic. There is the Green well lit back light on the @A button that toggles it off, so its just one press and you are there.
Then there is also the Click Agility switch 4 times up and you can get into the individual setting that is probably the easiest since you would more than likely have some personal preference settings in there as well.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:45 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by Leslielp
Well its an easy fix if not automatic. There is the Green well lit back light on the @A button that toggles it off, so its just one press and you are there.
Then there is also the Click Agility switch 4 times up and you can get into the individual setting that is probably the easiest since you would more than likely have some personal preference settings in there as well.
The point is that you have to turn the ECO start/stop off each time you start the car, either by pressing the ECO button or selecting a agility setting that turns it off. There is no way to turn it off permanently.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Someone in another thread mentioned that it only defaults to comfort mode (and hence the start/stop feature) after 4 hours of being shut off. If you drive within 4 hours, you don't have to touch it
Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by BenzC400
The point is that you have to turn the ECO start/stop off each time you start the car, either by pressing the ECO button or selecting a agility setting that turns it off. There is no way to turn it off permanently.

Understood..... I think for EPA reasons the car has to have this in the default setting. Its what gives it the low posted miles/gallon - liters/100Km rating.

All my experience with Mercedes is that the system always defaults to Comfort mode at the start of the car. I guess we should be thankful its not at the lower setting of Eco

I am sure someone will figure out the Hardware code to turn it off eventually.

I just hope that AF330i does not give up on the C Class because of this.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 AM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Someone in another thread mentioned that it only defaults to comfort mode (and hence the start/stop feature) after 4 hours of being shut off. If you drive within 4 hours, you don't have to touch it
Not true. It defaults to Comfort mode immediately. If you turn the car off in sport plus mode and restart in 10 seconds, it will be in Comfort mode. I tried it several times.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Not true. It defaults to Comfort mode immediately. If you turn the car off in sport plus mode and restart in 10 seconds, it will be in Comfort mode. I tried it several times.
That's interesting, since the manual specifically says it will not default to Comfort until 4 hours of idle time. I wonder if they changed that at some point.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by StanNH
That's interesting, since the manual specifically says it will not default to Comfort until 4 hours of idle time. I wonder if they changed that at some point.
I can't find that in the manual. This quote is in the manual I have (page 161).

Every time you switch on the engine using the

SmartKey or the Start/Stop button, the ECO

start/stop function is activated.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
Question: I'm very happy to have ECO Start / Stop on my 2015 C-Class.

Why would you want to turn it off?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can't find that in the manual. This quote is in the manual I have (page 161).

Every time you switch on the engine using the

SmartKey or the Start/Stop button, the ECO

start/stop function is activated.

I read about the 4 hour reset in one of the manuals ... can't find it online so might be in the printed one. I'm going to have to start making notes whenever I find something of interest, since I can't seem to find anything twice.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM

A few different ones
Thanks for the responses ... Originally when I had this in my bmw I had to switch it off each time and it was really annoying.

I just find the engine shutting off interrupts the noise level in the car .. It is a noticeable change in sound at least in the bmw and the Porsche.

Is it a deal killer ... Not sure yet I'd like to drive the C first.

I also read on this board there is something you can buy to disable it but it required removing the radio to install it.

Mercedes really should give you the option of wanting to keep it in the last setting.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On my Porsche, the auto stop/start is a manual switch which stays in the position it was set at. On the C300, it has to be has to be hit again whenever the car starts. It takes about a second to do this, so what's the big deal?

I now just leave it alone since it's hardly noticeable in use, and much less intrusive than the ones on other cars I've driven with this fuel saving feature. It does not drain the battery and will not engage if the battery is low or if it detects a drain.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I can see both sides on this one, but here in summer, you often need the engine running to keep the AC cool.

Plus, not to start a flame throw, but IMHO until the government or MB is covering the tab for my fuel, it's nice to have the option on a car I buy to customize it as much as technologically possible. Some just may favor to save their money and reduce their eco footprint in other ways. On the other hand, sounds like one would often 'reset' the agility to their individual setting, and it's not a problem in the grand scheme of life to do that or press a button.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Just FYI. The ECO start/stop feature (button) in my '14 CLS550 automatically turns itself off about 5-10 seconds after startup. I am pretty sure it defaulted to ON when I first got the car and I would always just turn it off after startup. Then at some point (not sure when) it started turning itself off. The '14 E350 I had prior did not do this, I always had to turn it off myself.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 PM

A few different ones
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Just FYI. The ECO start/stop feature (button) in my '14 CLS550 automatically turns itself off about 5-10 seconds after startup. I am pretty sure it defaulted to ON when I first got the car and I would always just turn it off after startup. Then at some point (not sure when) it started turning itself off. The '14 E350 I had prior did not do this, I always had to turn it off myself.
By any chance do other cls550's do this as well ... Just wondering if you happen to know ... Thanks
Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM

A few different ones
Originally Posted by StanNH
On my Porsche, the auto stop/start is a manual switch which stays in the position it was set at. On the C300, it has to be has to be hit again whenever the car starts. It takes about a second to do this, so what's the big deal?

I now just leave it alone since it's hardly noticeable in use, and much less intrusive than the ones on other cars I've driven with this fuel saving feature. It does not drain the battery and will not engage if the battery is low or if it detects a drain.

I find it really annoying to have to push the button every time I am in my car .. I went through this with my 2013 535 before I went back to the dealer 6 months later and had the car reprogrammed to remember the last setting.

I also think this particular method(auto shut off) is a band aid and in the future I wouldn't be surprised if the 2016 (or later) Mercedes no longer have this as a default setting.

I do understand the car companies need to show better mpg numbers but at least make it so we have the option to decide if we want the feature allowing this.

The big picture is if I wanted to save money on gas I would not be looking at this range of horsepower to begin with, I would look for something much more economical.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 PM

2014 CLS550 4Matic
By any chance do other cls550's do this as well ... Just wondering if you happen to know ... Thanks
Originally Posted by Jeffy
OK I have some new info on my situation with my CLS that now defaults to ECO start/stop off. Its because there is a problem and my ECO start/stop is not working! Too funny. I only found out this morning when I went to actually turn the feature back on and it won't! I haven't noticed for about 2000 miles, I just don't like/use ESS. Soooo guess who will NOT be taking his car to the dealer to get his ESS fixed.

Hey so maybe that is the answer for those that want to permanently disable ESS... Something is not reading right and my ESS does not work/enable. So perhaps doing something like disconnecting the aux battery (which is part of ESS) in the trunk would render the ESS inop? Would probably cause other issues though...
Old 10-12-2014, 03:51 PM

2014 BMW328i
Originally Posted by ecnavalleb
Question: I'm very happy to have ECO Start / Stop on my 2015 C-Class.

Why would you want to turn it off?
Last year, BMW 3 Series owners raised such a rokus, BMW NA finally came with a software patch. Once the switch is in Off it will stay there, unless someone manually switches it back to "On".

That start/stop got my wife so infuriated that she refused to drive our new '13 328i until I got it deactivated. It almost caused her to have an accident getting across a boulevard.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
So ridiculous...

You can set the Individual setting to turn off the ECO start/stop when you select the Individual setting. The car will still default to the Comfort setting upon restart and the ECO function will be on again.

Yes, this is so stupid, I hope a new software update will be able to control this ?

I am happy to know that I am not the only one who hate it. But how much would we save if we let it ON all the time ?

Just like when i switch from SDCARD to bluetooth and come back to SDcard aurdio, then the music does not remember which file was being read...

Last edited by benzw205; 10-13-2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: I am happy to know that I am not the only one who hate it. But how much would we save if we let it ON all the time ?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
I took delivery of my C250 Bluetec yesterday and have been driving it around in the I* Individual mode and I can confirm (in Australia at least) that it stays in what ever mode you turn the car off in, it will restart in the same mode.
ie mines been restarting in "Individual mode" with Eco/Start permanently off for the past 24 hours and 450kms.

Im happy with that even though it so much quieter then my 2012 start up from eco mode.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:12 PM

W205 C220 Sport
Does your car Start in the same mode when restarting after being switched off for more than 4 hours?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:23 AM

Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
I have gotten back into my car on multiple occasions under the 4 hour limit and it has restarted in the mode I was previously in eg sport+ or whatever. After this time it defaults to comfort after which I have to lift my HEAVY finger, and either get into a sweat pressing a button, or even worse flick a switch, UP TO THREE TIMES, to select a mode FML

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Eco start stop feature ... Will it stay off ?