C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

AMG Pack Agility Control vs. Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by StanNH
I have the base steel suspension. I won't comment on the other choices, but I can say based on my own experience that the "code 485 base suspension" is not a soft suspension setup. It is actually quite firm and does offer excellent control of body motion. The car does sit fairly high but, certainly here, that's okay given the many poor roads, gravel, and snow I have to deal with.
Don't forget the concrete parking blocks. W204 front air dams (or whatever the correct term is) are so often scratched and scuffed that dealers around here tend to forgive such damage when cars are returned from leases (I've heard multiple salespeople and service managers comment on how frequently this damage is seen).

I test drove a car w/ the base suspension. I think the wheels might've been 18-in, though, b/c the wheels were not in the style of the base car. Based on my limited test drive, the car felt significantly "lighter" and yet more compliant than the W204....

Glyn, I thought the W204 had a less sophisticated front and rear suspension than the W203?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by alsyli

Glyn, I thought the W204 had a less sophisticated front and rear suspension than the W203?
No, Many parts were interchangeable. W204 had a slightly wider track. Even W211 had common parts.

W204 was in many ways old wine in new bottles.

The frills were damper technology & the availability of Advanced Agility Control ~ active/switchable

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-01-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

@Glyn, I've put some pressure on local MB Romania representatives - they should come with some cars to test on Monday as close as possible in terms of specs with my next car.

The posted photos are not looking too bad.

@Stan, alsyli, your points are valid and might be very useful to me as well: get an increased ground clearance for the snow we can get here. Hopefully, handling in bends is still good enough - no racing car, but still fine, better then my w204.

@All, understand your point on testing and get my preference, however please understand the context here ( different from California ):
- no W205 sold with Airmatic in the market;
- most cars for test drives are C220 CDI BlueEfficiency which is a wonderful car in term of handling, consumption, etc and sells the car very well. Unfortunately, in my case, I cannot go with RWD only - some years with heavy snow and this is my only car.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. Hopefully on Monday I'll have more information / test drives and see if I have or not to change something.

Thankfully,
amo

@ Glyn, as per local representatives, production will start moving to SA. All cars for local market are going to be produced there by March 2015.

Last edited by oachim; 01-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oachim

@ Glyn, as per local representatives, production will start moving to SA. All cars for local market are going to be produced there by March 2015.
If you get a SA car you have nothing to worry about. They build them beautifully. Frequently win the quality round robin vs. Bremen & Sindelfingen.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 PM

2012 C250 Sport
@All, understand your point on testing and get my preference, however please understand the context here ( different from California ):
- no W205 sold with Airmatic in the market;
- most cars for test drives are C220 CDI BlueEfficiency which is a wonderful car in term of handling, consumption, etc and sells the car very well. Unfortunately, in my case, I cannot go with RWD only - some years with heavy snow and this is my only car.
FYI, we can't get RWD-only W205s yet in California, either.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by alsyli
FYI, we can't get RWD-only W205s yet in California, either.
They're been taking orders for RWD C300's since late October, first ones will be delivered in a couple weeks Excited to hear some of the reviews and test one out for myself.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:49 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by floridadriver
They're been taking orders for RWD C300's since late October, first ones will be delivered in a couple weeks Excited to hear some of the reviews and test one out for myself.
=)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If you get a SA car you have nothing to worry about. They build them beautifully. Frequently win the quality round robin vs. Bremen & Sindelfingen.
Glyn, aware about your rating of the production plants and trust it.

In my case, if everything goes as agreed with local representations, the car will be produced late Jan in Bremen. Issue with SA might be delivery time as I need my car by end of Feb.

In case I'll get to the conclusion base suspension is not for me, delivery date is an additional constraint that might not allow me to configure the car with AIRMATIC. Users on motor-talk.de are saying cars with AIRMATIC option are delayed.

Question regarding base suspension: is it calibrated depending on engine, car's weight, RWD vs. AWD, Line, etc or same settings applies to all types of cars ?

I'm asking this to understand if dealer will provide me car with base suspension but not 250CDI 4MATIC, is the test going to be relevant ?

Thankfully,
Ovidiu

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-02-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

The test will be pretty much relevant. Benz tries to make all models with the same suspension as similar as possible. Ride height will be the same as spring rates are increased with heavier engines.

Weight distribution is another matter. You are always aware of cars with heavier engines as it effects things like turn in. Driver reactions to this are different. Some find lighter engined cars feel more nimble. I find heavy engined Benz cars feel more planted. It's a matter of taste.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 AM

The test will be pretty much relevant. Benz tries to make all models with the same suspension as similar as possible. Ride height will be the same as spring rates are increased with heavier engines.

Weight distribution is another matter. You are always aware of cars with heavier engines as it effects things like turn in. Driver reactions to this are different. Some find lighter engined cars feel more nimble. I find heavy engined Benz cars feel more planted. It's a matter of taste.
Thanks Glyn. It seems in terms of handling I like lighter engined cars which, I know, diesels are not. However, due to consumption / fuel costs and AWD need I have to go with c250cdi. Btw, torque is really impressive.

Checked the weight of the W205 250cdi 4matic:
- 15kg/33lbs more than c400 4matic
- 160kg/350lbs more than c220 cdi blue efficiency !?!
- 30kg/66lbs more than C300 4 MATIC.

Strangely, it weighs ONLY 15 kg less than my current W204 same engine.

Q: Where is the weight reduction all reviews and sales people are speaking about ?

Stan, I should experience almost the same driving experience you have with your C300 4MATIC.

Thankfully,
Ovidiu

Last edited by oachim; 01-03-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

The weight reduction is in greater use of aluminium & high strength steel in the body. Also some aluminium suspension components that used to be steel.

Here are the major changes:

Old 01-03-2015, 04:00 AM

Thanks Glyn,

Unfortunately these improvements are not having important impact on car's weight. As I mentioned:
- 250cdi 4matic w205 is only 15 kg less than the same w204 car
- even the very efficient c220cdi blue efficiency model is only 50 kg less than the same w204.

Personally I haven't found a configuration close to 100kg difference.

My point here is that a better handling of w205 vs w204 would not come from the reduced weight of the car - for sure NOT in my case - but hopefully from a better design and more modern suspension system.

I would appreciate any link to explanation of the new suspension. Comparison with the old passive agility control is also welcome.

Thankfully,
Amo
Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

More on Body of W205:

W205 Steel suspension:

W205 Airmatic:

I suggest you Google sites like AutoEvolution for discussion of Benz latest 4 platforms.

The old passive Agility Control damping from the W204 is carried over in refined form to W205.

The old Active Advanced Agility Control is not carried over to W205 (although as I have reported it might be in the future). At present it is replaced by Airmatic.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 PM

Glyn,

Thanks for the photos.

2 points:

1/ if not in the total weight, I hope the new chassis will pay off at least in weight distribution making the car better to drive;

2/ airmatic seems to me much more complex system, something I would not buy if steel suspension delivers enough stability, driving experience, comfort.

The great news today is local dealer call saying I'm invited to test a C250CDI 4 MATIC AMG Line Exterior, base suspension , 18" wheels, same with my current configuration in their ordering system. I don't know how, but they found it !

Of course, I'll report back on Monday evening my thoughts. If you want me to test or check something on that car, just let me know.

amo

Last edited by oachim; 01-03-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Good ~ I'm pleased you will be testing what you ordered. It's the only way. Give us your impressions.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Good ~ I'm pleased you will be testing what you ordered. It's the only way. Give us your impressions.
Glad I can report back.

Tested configuration
  • W205 250CDI 4 MATIC
  • AMG Exterior Line
  • Suspension: base (code 485) - not available in all countries with the AMG line
  • Interior was Exclusive basic
  • Bremen production plant.

Context
  • unable to test AIRMATIC
  • unable to get suspension Agility Control code 677 as it is not fitted on this engine / model.

In short, the conclusion is: I'll go / stick with base suspension, no reason to think ( without testing ) to AIRMATIC.

Longer version
Comfort
  • impressive given
  • 18" wheels
  • run flat tyres
  • car's weight ( ~ 1650 kg )
  • much better than my current w204, 17" wheel, non-run flat tyres
Stability, body roll
  • almost no body roll ( probably due to run flat tyres, tyres dimension 225 front, 245 rear)
  • stability in bends - good, planted due to the heavy engine / body
  • overall, better than my current w204 ( suspension code 677 - agility control lowered by 15 mm)
Ground clearance [ confirmed by MB DE Expert ] - important given the climate here, winter, snow and road quality
  • 83 mm w204 vs. 88 mm w205 (full load) - +5 mm
  • +15 mm base suspension (code 485) vs. lowered suspension (code 677)
  • cumulated, +2 cm !! more than my current w204

So, base suspension was my choice based on / due to:
  • available configurations to test
  • available suspensions to be installed on my engine / model
  • local env. conditions:
    • 4 seasons, snow in all winters, etc
    • quality of roads
  • running costs ( base suspension vs . AIRMATIC)
  • also, the enhanced quality of the W205 base chassis and suspension
  • most probably, other subjective reasons

Other aspects I've noticed ( compared with my current w204 ):
  • engine noise is reduced; I know all the negative reviews on that, however, for me, it is improved over the previous model
  • 7 G tranmission - it is the same, however I find it a little bit more responsive; agility select work on that; overall better
  • wind noise - similar to w204 - glad I'll get the acoustic glass
  • Garmin / Audio 20 tested for 10 minutes - it seems reasonable good.

In a nutshell, good work from MB, better in all aspects (7 years gap). Chassis is great, over performing the previous version in every single metric.

If any specific question, let me know
Regards,
amo

Last edited by oachim; 01-05-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 PM

A180 / On order S205
Interesting and good review!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Glad I can report back.

Tested configuration
  • W205 250CDI 4 MATIC
  • AMG Exterior Line
  • Suspension: base (code 485) - not available in all countries with the AMG line
  • Interior was Exclusive basic
  • Bremen production plant.

Context
  • unable to test AIRMATIC
  • unable to get suspension Agility Control code 677 as it is not fitted on this engine / model.

In short, the conclusion is: I'll go / stick with base suspension, no reason to think ( without testing ) to AIRMATIC.

Longer version
Comfort
  • impressive given
  • 18" wheels
  • run flat tyres
  • car's weight ( ~ 1650 kg )
  • much better than my current w204, 17" wheel, non-run flat tyres
Stability, body roll
  • almost no body roll ( probably due to run flat tyres, tyres dimension 225 front, 245 rear)
  • stability in bends - good, planted due to the heavy engine / body
  • overall, better than my current w204 ( suspension code 677 - agility control lowered by 15 mm)
Ground clearance [ confirmed by MB DE Expert ] - important given the climate here, winter, snow and road quality
  • 83 mm w204 vs. 88 mm w205 (full load) - +5 mm
  • +15 mm base suspension (code 485) vs. lowered suspension (code 677)
  • cumulated, +2 cm !! more than my current w204

So, base suspension was my choice based on / due to:
  • available configurations to test
  • available suspensions to be installed on my engine / model
  • local env. conditions:
    • 4 seasons, snow in all winters, etc
    • quality of roads
  • running costs ( base suspension vs . AIRMATIC)
  • also, the enhanced quality of the W205 base chassis and suspension
  • most probably, other subjective reasons

Other aspects I've noticed ( compared with my current w204 ):
  • engine noise is reduced; I know all the negative reviews on that, however, for me, it is improved over the previous model
  • 7 G tranmission - it is the same, however I find it a little bit more responsive; agility select work on that; overall better
  • wind noise - similar to w204 - glad I'll get the acoustic glass
  • Garmin / Audio 20 tested for 10 minutes - it seems reasonable good.

In a nutshell, good work from MB, better in all aspects (7 years gap). Chassis is great, over performing the previous version in every single metric.

If any specific question, let me know
Regards,
amo
Great ~ now you are happy with what you have ordered. It all makes sense to me.