C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Anyone from Mercedes able to respond?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Hmmm, I dunno man. Thinking of an analogy. Seems our expectations for cars is pretty weak....no matter how much you might like it.....you go buy an HDTV with bezel not put on the back of it that you didn't notice when delivered, and you drag it back and they snap it in place for free but in doing so, they scratch another area of your brand new set, but they order the part. You just need come back next week when they have an appointment available and fix it. Section of pixels go out 2 weeks later, they fix it with not much hassle, then sound doesn't work the day after, they keep the set a few days (you missed the Sugar Bowl) and then offer a software patch is coming soon, just be patient, then your set oozes slime if your house is too cold, they say wait a few months we're back ordered on that fix..... I don't think many would tolerate half that. Yet, SOME do with cars. Warranty and dealer involvement should be to fix unforeseen, defective parts.

MOST of these issues I'm seeing, and hearing from the dealer are poor manufacturing issues, very well known, not fixed. We haven't even gotten to the gremlins hiding in the W205 out of Vance, it's a quarter year old. I'm still optimistic some heads roll and new management oversees QA, the 2015 model year is salvageable. Eternal optimist maybe.
Lol that was good. I think Terry was referring to my expectations about a return e-mail from MB Canada and what it "won't" say. My personal expectations are very high and I'm on the exact same page as you. Correct me if I'm interpreting your post wrong but if you're saying there's a difference between gremlins buried in a wiring harness and a misaligned bumper....you're bang on. No one would be able to immediately experience the impact of the former until it reared it's head sometime "after production". And who knows when that might be.

But the manufacturing defects that PEOPLE (and maybe laser equipped robots) are expected to catch "during production"...and haven't...are absolutely unacceptable. I'd go on a rant about inadequate plant supervision but you've already covered that. QA isn't just their responsibility though. Line workers shouldn't have to have a supervisor looking over their shoulders 24/7. Maybe a select few have no pride in working for a world class auto manufacturer and could give a rat's *** that the bumpers they just pushed into place "just didn't fit right today". Who knows.

Bottom line, as you implied, these types if fixes should be addressed and rectified immediately. No need for a months long, drawn out committee of the minds gathering or a re-engineering of absolutely everything in Tuscaloosa. Just rally the troops, get some of them a new eyeglasses prescription, and get 'er done right.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Lol that was good. I think Terry was referring to my expectations about a return e-mail from MB Canada and what it "won't" say. My personal expectations are very high and I'm on the exact same page as you. Correct me if I'm interpreting your post wrong but if you're saying there's a difference between gremlins buried in a wiring harness and a misaligned bumper....you're bang on. No one would be able to immediately experience the impact of the former until it reared it's head sometime "after production". And who knows when that might be.

But the manufacturing defects that PEOPLE (and maybe laser equipped robots) are expected to catch "during production"...and haven't...are absolutely unacceptable. I'd go on a rant about inadequate plant supervision but you've already covered that. QA isn't just their responsibility though. Line workers shouldn't have to have a supervisor looking over their shoulders 24/7. Maybe a select few have no pride in working for a world class auto manufacturer and could give a rat's *** that the bumpers they just pushed into place "just didn't fit right today". Who knows.

Bottom line, as you implied, these types if fixes should be addressed and rectified immediately. No need for a months long, drawn out committee of the minds gathering or a re-engineering of absolutely everything in Tuscaloosa. Just rally the troops, get some of them a new eyeglasses prescription, and get 'er done right.
Yes sir, you clearly understand my personal point of view on this one.

I don't work at an American auto plant (or any) but I'm speculating a good speech given every now and again for 'doing the right thing, and we don't settle for second best in quality', but a managerial culture of $$$$BONUS for speed and and productivity that overshadows QC. The quality focus needs to come from much higher up and filter down.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Response By Email (Olivia C.) (01/05/2015 04:39 PM)
Dear Ms. Riley:

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

As mbworld.com is not an official Mercedes-Benz website, we are simply unable to speak to comments posted. What can ensure you is that we strive to produce the highest quality product and fully stand by our New Vehicle Limited Warranty should any issue arise.

We appreciate the opportunity to correspond and wish you many miles of safe, pleasant driving.

Sincerely,

Olivia
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
And my reply. I will also contact them by phone in case they are more candid when not documented in writing.

And maybe someone here is better at writing than I am to express the same thought. Realizing they probably don't care. At least they can't say they don't know.

Dear Olivia,
Thank you for your rapid reply. I need you to please escilate my correspondence to a supervisor. I trust they would also be concerned with the hundreds of posts with photos and the thousands of views of these credible posts and dealer involvement sharing the concern. Even if they cannot speak of the communication on other websites, hopefully they can add further clarity and reassurance of change.

I can assure you that my shared concern from numerous customers and from dealer service managers I have spoken with is that the production quality control of the new C-Class out of Vance Alabama is in serious quesiton. Relying on the warranty for fixing unforseen concerns is logical and appreciated. Requiring dealership warranty visits to address shoddy workmanship or incomplete production at the factory is not acceptable, and this is what I'm hoping to get some feedback on. There are also a number of subcontractors who are providing vehicles manufactured in the USA who have clearly not "stiving to provide the highest quality product" as you advise. I really would like to retain my order for the car, it is such a great design that clearly is not being made to spec in the USA consistently, and need some feedback as to the number credible issues reported, and precise steps MBUSA and MBUSI are incorporating to rectify this immediately within the 2015 model year.

Respectfully, Helen

Last edited by HelenR; 01-06-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 AM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Lol
Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by HelenR
Response By Email (Olivia C.) (01/05/2015 04:39 PM)
Dear Ms. Riley:

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

As mbworld.com is not an official Mercedes-Benz website, we are simply unable to speak to comments posted. What can ensure you is that we strive to produce the highest quality product and fully stand by our New Vehicle Limited Warranty should any issue arise.

We appreciate the opportunity to correspond and wish you many miles of safe, pleasant driving.

Sincerely,

Olivia
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372
"Many miles of safe, pleasant driving".....in what? Lol, a no surprise response.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by Mark's M
"Many miles of safe, pleasant driving".....in what? Lol, a no surprise response.
HAHAHA, True, I'm assuming some at MBUSA know this car is a total piece of crap out of this factory at this time, but not much they can admit to thanks to the attorneys.

It's as though the best came up with the design and engineering, artists formed a terrific form inside and out, and they turned it over to the three stooges to make some of them and blind bats to provide the final inspection steps some shifts. It's a mystery.

I talked with my dealer today about an unrelated question, they got 5 delivered today, none close enough to my order, but she returned 3 to Alabama for too many issues beyond the scope of their warranty repair. She's candid about the build problems. They sell other cars besides MB though too.

Last edited by HelenR; 01-06-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I talked with my dealer today about an unrelated question, they got 5 delivered today, none close enough to my order, but she returned 3 to Alabama for too many issues beyond the scope of their warranty repair. She's candid about the build problems. They sell other cars besides MB though too.
So much for the factory reacting quickly to early build issues. They're now five months into the build, so the line should be humming right along.

Helen, keep in mind that the bulk of the issues have been QC rather than mechanical issues. The engines, transmissions, body integrity, etc, have been fine. In spite of all the annoying problems I've had in my first three months of ownership, I'd still buy this car again. This time, however, I would look at cars in inventory and examine the ones I was interested in closely. My car was still on a truck when I bought it, so I did not see it before purchase. Nor was I aware of the issues that have since been identified here.

I would still recommend this car, but with some caveats. Both the dealer and the buyer must examine the car for poor panel fit and any sign of evaporates on the MB-Tex material. Make sure alignment and the aim of the headlights are checked. If the dealer is far away, see if you can get a "valet service" agreement.

I've developed a real love/hate relationship with this car. I love the way it looks, feels, and performs. It's just brilliant in its design. I hate the fact that the US plant can't seem to turn out a consistent product, and seems to be having both internal and external quality problems that have not yet been resolved.

When Consumer Reports' 2015 car issue comes out, I'd bet the C300/C400 is the highest rated compact sedan that they won't recommend. That is really sad.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Then we definitely need you!

I'm a pilot. Aren't you glad I look at it it the same way...and get plenty of pressure to 'overlook' in the name of efficiency sometimes. Guess I could look at NTSB crash investigation team as my 'warranty back up' system.
Oh indeed I am! I had a job that required me to fly 230 days a year. Suffered a number of incidents in the air & on the ground. Whenever we heard from the cockpit "This plane isn't going anywhere tonight folks. I have to ask you to disembark" Even though there was always a lot of complaining from passengers I used to thinks it's nice to know that the guy up front takes my safety seriously. On ground incidents varied from a loading vehicle puncturing the skin of the aircraft in Sydney Aus. to an axle shearing off of a 747 while loading at LAX.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-06-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

HAHAHA, True, I'm assuming some at MBUSA know this car is a total piece of crap out of this factory at this time, but not much they can admit to thanks to the attorneys.

It's as though the best came up with the design and engineering, artists formed a terrific form inside and out, and they turned it over to the three stooges to make some of them and blind bats to provide the final inspection steps some shifts. It's a mystery.

Benz has a policy of not responding on public forums.

With no disrespect to our valued lady members. MBUSA has a team of PR type ladies that are technically inept running interference & offering inane platitudes. They even sometimes support dealers that are blatantly wrong & violate the WIS.

You need to get behind this front layer for a sensible reaction from MBUSA.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Benz has a policy of not responding on public forums.

With no disrespect to our valued lady members. MBUSA has a team of PR type ladies that are technically inept running interference & offering inane platitudes. They even sometimes support dealers that are blatantly wrong & violate the WIS.

Which in my experience is no different than any other manufacturer. I know some of them lurk particular forums but will not and probably cannot post replies even if it is for the benefit of eveyrone involved...that's just the way it works.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I emailed MB-USA about my seat problems on Monday. Today I got an email reply saying it would be forwarded to a case manager.

I also called Customer Service this morning and spoke with a fellow who promised he would escalate the complaint.

Today, I also got a call from a woman at MB-USA who is now my case manager. I don't know if that was a response to my email or to the phone call, but we did have a very long conversation. She agreed that my experience so far with this car was not at all acceptable, and that they would be discussing the case at a meeting on Wednesday.

So, they did listen, but I have no idea what they'll wind up doing to accommodate me.

And, no, none of them said they saw my post on MBWorld.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Which in my experience is no different than any other manufacturer. I know some of them lurk particular forums but will not and probably cannot post replies even if it is for the benefit of eveyrone involved...that's just the way it works.
+1. I can't say I blame them, either. If I were running a hugely prestigious, multinational corporation, I wouldn't get into specifics, either, especially w/ a prospective buyers (rather than an actual customer who is already having problems). No offense, Helen.

Stan, the whole "highly rated but not recommended" CR thing happened a lot w/ VWs b/f their recent improvement in reliability. I think CR even actually wrote once that, if it were just about the vehicle itself, MBs and VW group cars would be the most freq recommended cars.

What I find most puzzling is that the MB tex is just such a "stupid" thing to have an issue w/! If a car has a QC prob, at least let it be for some new, amazing piece of technology or a really cool feature (like the panoramic sunroof). That's more forgive-able than misaligned trim pieces and oozing vinyl. JMO.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alsyli
What I find most puzzling is that the MB tex is just such a "stupid" thing to have an issue w/! If a car has a QC prob, at least let it be for some new, amazing piece of technology or a really cool feature (like the panoramic sunroof). That's more forgive-able than misaligned trim pieces and oozing vinyl. JMO.
When I picked up the car, the first thing I noticed on the sticker was the 60/40 split for US versus German parts. That's 60% locally sourced parts for a brand new production car that had previously not used any, that I'm aware of, US sourced components. I was surprised at that.

I believe every complaint involving the MB-Tex being used on the W205 involves an American built car. Did MB change the spec for North American cars? Did one supplier change the spec without testing it? Was it an error made during the production process? Does it affect all production here, or is it limited to a specific batch of defective MB-Tex vinyl? We may never know what really happened, but MB-USA absolutely knows there's a big problem and is just figuring out how to deal with it.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350

The car is not a "total piece of crap" at this time, although there are some that have initial quality control issues in keeping with a brand new vehicle.

I think you are putting too much faith in your dealer, who sees your apprehension with getting the Benz, and is trying to make a sale regardless and will steer you towards some other car.

I think "Olivia" answered best stating that Mercedes-Benz will stand by their product if something does arise. My dealer had been exemplary in dealing with warranty issues over the years and they are a huge factor, probably more so than the cars, as to why I continue to stay with the brand. I know they will look after me. I would be more concerned with your dealer and finding the most reputable one possible.

I know for a fact that dealerships are on these boards. In my neck of the woods a mechanic took a C63 Black Series for a joyride and the dealer was horrified that it was on mbworld and made great amends to the benefit of the owner of the car. Whether MBUSA or Canada do, I highly doubt it.

I would suggest that if you like the car, buy it or lease it. You may be overthinking this, but it seems to me your gut feeling, and your 50 posts, is saying "no"...maybe you should follow it. But I think you will be missing out.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by StanNH
When I picked up the car, the first thing I noticed on the sticker was the 60/40 split for US versus German parts. That's 60% locally sourced parts for a brand new production car that had previously not used any, that I'm aware of, US sourced components. I was surprised at that.
But don't they use MB tex on the ML? (which includes the MB tex stitched dash) I assume it's the same supplier, which is why I find this all very confusing.... Maybe, as some have suggested, the supplier screwed it up, not MB....

Saw your other post about the communication from MB. Outreach like that can go a long way, IMO. And I really do think they'd be able to replace your seating surface and make them look factory-original.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Absolutely correct!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Had MB-Tex in my previous S204 and it is very clear that it is not the same material in the 205.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Stan has just got behind the curtain. Hopefully things will now move ahead to his satisfaction.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alsyli
But don't they use MB tex on the ML? (which includes the MB tex stitched dash) I assume it's the same supplier, which is why I find this all very confusing.... Maybe, as some have suggested, the supplier screwed it up, not MB....

Saw your other post about the communication from MB. Outreach like that can go a long way, IMO. And I really do think they'd be able to replace your seating surface and make them look factory-original.
So now we know that MB does read this, and other, forums.

MB-Tex is nothing new here, so I'm not sure how this batch of bad material got into production. They may have more than one supplier, or there may have just been a production error. I'll try to find out more as the process goes on.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stan has just got behind the curtain. Hopefully things will now move ahead to his satisfaction.
And no, the Wizard of Oz was not the man behind the curtain.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by StanNH
And no, the Wizard of Oz was not the man behind the curtain.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
This may have an impact on MBUSA communication response times for the next few months.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/ful...ercedes/njg7Z/
Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Originally Posted by vic viper
Had MB-Tex in my previous S204 and it is very clear that it is not the same material in the 205.
Well that's just awesome. One of the reasons I decided to "settle" for MB-Tex is that I've always heard such great things about it over the years as being the best quasi-leather solution offered.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
This may have an impact on MBUSA communication response times for the next few months.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/ful...ercedes/njg7Z/
Good. Maybe the cars from the US plant will have better quality control!

Makes you wonder why Cadillac is moving their headquarters to... NYC???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone from Mercedes able to respond?