C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by SRF 27
Also, did the dealer say how they are going to deal with the passenger seat?
I don't think they'll know until they get the kit. When I get the call that they're ready, I'll ask about it.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
I spoke with my case manager today on this issue and he confirmed everything that Stan said as well. I'm actually trying to get to the bottom of what are the exact compounds in the plasticizers (which to my knowledge is a general term used for several chemicals). Just because its non-toxic to adults does not necessarily ensure it won't have any effects on say pregnant women (who for example can't eat cold cuts, sushi, or be near kitty litter).

My dealership did say that parts have been ordered but are already back-ordered so times my vary for different parts. For example my back seat parts are supposed to come tomorrow. The front seats may take 2 weeks but they are trying to see if it can be expedited at all given that the dealership is already on the verge of having the car longer than I've had the car. Again we shall see.

At the very least I will say that MB has been accomodating on the service side of things. Case managers have spoken to me twice as well as the service department at my dealership (and they are in contact with one another). Although this doesn't impact the service dept, keep in mind that morale at MB-USA may be low as it was just announced that they are moving from Montvale NJ to Atlanta and layoffs are taking place right now. So again, I've been somewhat surprised that MB has been trying to rectify the situation as best as they can right now.

Fingers crossed.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
Smile

Originally Posted by npa201
I spoke with my case manager today on this issue and he confirmed everything that Stan said as well. I'm actually trying to get to the bottom of what are the exact compounds in the plasticizers (which to my knowledge is a general term used for several chemicals). Just because its non-toxic to adults does not necessarily ensure it won't have any effects on say pregnant women (who for example can't eat cold cuts, sushi, or be near kitty litter).

My dealership did say that parts have been ordered but are already back-ordered so times my vary for different parts. For example my back seat parts are supposed to come tomorrow. The front seats may take 2 weeks but they are trying to see if it can be expedited at all given that the dealership is already on the verge of having the car longer than I've had the car. Again we shall see.

At the very least I will say that MB has been accomodating on the service side of things. Case managers have spoken to me twice as well as the service department at my dealership (and they are in contact with one another). Although this doesn't impact the service dept, keep in mind that morale at MB-USA may be low as it was just announced that they are moving from Montvale NJ to Atlanta and layoffs are taking place right now. So again, I've been somewhat surprised that MB has been trying to rectify the situation as best as they can right now.

Fingers crossed.
I think you'll be ok, unless MB is putting cold cuts in their seats, like BMW.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by djdj
I think you'll be ok, unless MB is putting cold cuts in their seats, like BMW.
what's this about?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 PM

c300 4matic
My dealership told me that I'm the only one who has had this problem with the mb tex bleeding seat problem. I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Just wondering if this dealer is giving me the business.
Am curious as to how many people in this forum are from Toronto, with the bleeding seats.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
My dealership told me that I'm the only one who has had this problem with the mb tex bleeding seat problem. I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Am curious as to how many people in this forum are from Toronto, with the bleeding seats.
I bought my car at the Oakville dealership and they were very familiar with the problem when I reported my car having the issue.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 142 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
OMG! I just ordered a C400 to replace my 09 C300 this evening and I never even looked through this side of the forum as I was not thinking of replacing my w204 yet until last night. I will be canceling my order first thing tom. This is just bad, very bad and cant think of what I will do to my dealer if I see my brand new car the morning after I bring it home and see this. If this dont gets resolved a bimmer or 2014 C63 will replace my W204. The funny thing about this as I had this same issue with the headrest of my GLK before it became oily then had a white residue depending on the temperature and the dealer replaced it on the spot. I do hope the ML I just bought does not have this issue or I will go balistic.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
OMG! I just ordered a C400 to replace my 09 C300 this evening and I never even looked through this side of the forum as I was not thinking of replacing my w204 yet until last night. I will be canceling my order first thing tom. This is just bad, very bad and cant think of what I will do to my dealer if I see my brand new car the morning after I bring it home and see this. If this dont gets resolved a bimmer or 2014 C63 will replace my W204. The funny thing about this as I had this same issue with the headrest of my GLK before it became oily then had a white residue depending on the temperature and the dealer replaced it on the spot. I do hope the ML I just bought does not have this issue or I will go balistic.

None of the cars built after Jan 5 have the problem.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 AM

C-300
Ok, so I spoke with the service dept of my dealership yesterday (my car has been there for a week and I have a loaner) and now they say they wont have the item until potentially the end of February Yup. Keep in mind I had the car for about 1.5 weeks. I had put on about 120 miles on the car (and about 25 of those miles was taking it back and forth from the dealership). I'm basically at a loss for words here. I called my case manager (at MB USA) but did not get back to me (for now I'm going to assume he wasn't in rather than assume I'm getting the run around).

I don't want to take my car back until its fixed because as I've said before I have potential concerns about the plasticizer with my pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter (plasticizer has been banned in children's toys for years). Meanwhile I'm just putting miles on their loaner. Have you ever heard of anybody that has been able to exchange their car in the past? I mean it effectively has less miles than some cars in their lot. I had it for 1.5 weeks. If there is a loss incurred, isn't there someway that the dealership/corporate/and myself can somehow share in the loss (i mean aren't they losing money on this free of charge loaner they've given me in the meantime?)? I just don't know what to do and this purchase is now turning sour on me.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:43 AM

2015 C300

I too have the bleeding seats, and my dealer (Markham) told me I'm the first to report the problem (yesterday).

The service department seems to be familiar with the issue and is willing to replace the seat covers though.

I picked up the car on Monday and haven't driven it yet. Less than 60km on the car. I tried asking for a new car but they won't budge.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Ok, so I spoke with the service dept of my dealership yesterday (my car has been there for a week and I have a loaner) and now they say they wont have the item until potentially the end of February Yup. Keep in mind I had the car for about 1.5 weeks. I had put on about 120 miles on the car (and about 25 of those miles was taking it back and forth from the dealership). I'm basically at a loss for words here. I called my case manager (at MB USA) but did not get back to me (for now I'm going to assume he wasn't in rather than assume I'm getting the run around).

I don't want to take my car back until its fixed because as I've said before I have potential concerns about the plasticizer with my pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter (plasticizer has been banned in children's toys for years). Meanwhile I'm just putting miles on their loaner. Have you ever heard of anybody that has been able to exchange their car in the past? I mean it effectively has less miles than some cars in their lot. I had it for 1.5 weeks. If there is a loss incurred, isn't there someway that the dealership/corporate/and myself can somehow share in the loss (i mean aren't they losing money on this free of charge loaner they've given me in the meantime?)? I just don't know what to do and this purchase is now turning sour on me.

I think your feelings are quite rational. My seats haven't bled yet, but just knowing that they could is extremely irritating. Combine this crap with the lousy bumper/tail light fitment and I have to say I feel cheated by Mercedes-Benz.

I think something could be done about the situation if enough owners were willing to park their cars at the dealer as you have done. (I hope you put a bunch of miles on that loaner.)

If enough W205 owners made their dissatisfaction known to more mainstream media, then MB might be prompted to do something more than to replace seat covers for those who have been "affected". For example, has anyone contacted Autoblog about the build quality? (They certainly reacted nicely to the bleeding seats issue.) How about Consumer Reports, Auto week, etc.? As for the chemical issue, is EPA or your State agency aware that MBUSA is selling cars that ooze chemicals onto and into the seats? I think it's really finding the right forum in which to air these issues. People aren't breaking down the dealership doors as it is, but a few negative reviews in mainstream media, or widespread ridicule on Facebook, Twitter, etc. would slow sales considerably. That MIGHT get MB to act more proactively.

You know, it's really sad when a good car like the W205 is screwed up by poor production and bad product support by dealers and MBUSA. In the short time I've owned the C300, I have realized how good I've had it with BMW and Infiniti. Right now, I continue to drive the BMW and my wife drives the Infiniti, and the C300 sits in the garage until I have the time to waste to take it back to the dealer, eventually meeting with the factory rep, and fighting with MBUSA. This is the Mercedes experience? It is surely the experience I will share with everyone I come in contact with.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 AM

c300 4matic
I am bringing my car in this morning for a clean. I was told that it will be 3 weeks before the seat covers come in.
From what I'm seeing, I don't know if I can believe that they will be here by then.

As the the seat bottom of the passenger seat which from what I have read cannot be replaced I am curious as to when that would be replaced and how, also, wondering if they will replace the seat back and the head rest at least.

Thanks for your reply to the people in Toronto and vicinity.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:46 AM

2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
I'm in the same boat as you are. I'd be curious to know about the chances of a replacement as well.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As the the seat bottom of the passenger seat which from what I have read cannot be replaced I am curious as to when that would be replaced and how, also, wondering if they will replace the seat back and the head rest at least.
It is my understanding that only the seat bottom for the passenger will remain. All headrests will be replaced, all seat covers other then the bottom of that one seat will be replaced. My car goes in Tuesday for the fix, and I'll post pictures of the replaced covers when I get the car back. Hopefully, there will be no sign of any work having been done ... other than the absence of my ever changing seat demons.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
It is my understanding that only the seat bottom for the passenger will remain. .
Does that mean we will always be stuck with the bleeding passenger seat bottom or will it just be a second trip to the dealer sometime later on?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 142 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by cidtek
None of the cars built after Jan 5 have the problem.
There are few C400 cars available that matches what I want but those are pre Jan. production. They wont give me the discount I was asking if I was to order so I told them the seat problem and they said it is a hit and miss and the cars that they have on stock does not have the problem as they checked it. I said to them if they can put that in writing and if my seats bleed they need to replace the car they said "no" so I told them I wont buy the car and they just lost a sale.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does that mean we will always be stuck with the bleeding passenger seat bottom or will it just be a second trip to the dealer sometime later on?
That's an open question at this point.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
That's an open question at this point.
I think a constantly bleeding seat bottom will be totally unacceptable for many and could be the tipping point in customer outrage.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 PM

c300 4matic
I think a constantly bleeding seat bottom will be totally unacceptable for many and could be the tipping point in customer outrage.
There is not a chance in hell that I will be stuck with one seat bottom that way.I will stand in front MB-Canada with a board telling everyone that comes by about it. I'm not joking.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:12 PM

There is not a chance in hell that I will be stuck with one seat bottom that way.I will stand in front MB-Canada with a board telling everyone that comes by about it. I'm not joking.
If you're in Ontario I'll stand beside you.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
[QUOTE=npa201;6298385

I don't want to take my car back until its fixed because as I've said before I have potential concerns about the plasticizer with my pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter (plasticizer has been banned in children's toys for years). Meanwhile I'm just putting miles on their loaner. Have you ever heard of anybody that has been able to exchange their car in the past? I mean it effectively has less miles than some cars in their lot. I had it for 1.5 weeks. If there is a loss incurred, isn't there someway that the dealership/corporate/and myself can somehow share in the loss (i mean aren't they losing money on this free of charge loaner they've given me in the meantime?)? I just don't know what to do and this purchase is now turning sour on me.[/QUOTE]

npa201 : My advice to you would be to NOT take back your car, keep the loaner until either:

1. the repair is completed, or
2. the dealer and/or MBUSA agree to exchange your car for a similar one with leather upholstery, assuming that you would be willing to pay the difference less some consideration for your time and inconvenience, or
3. the dealer agrees to refund you all of your costs

Having been in this business, I can tell you that vehicle exchanges or full refunds certainly do occur. There are several forum members here who have successfully pursued that route.

You are currently in a reasonably strong position to request an EXCHANGE or a FULL REFUND because:
1. you have a dealer's loaner car,
2. your car has very few miles on its odometer
3. they have told that they are unable to complete the repairs due to lack of parts, which will not be available for about six weeks.

Depending on the option that you decide to pursue, DO NOT TAKE BACK your car unless you are completely satisfied with the outcome !

Best of luck !
Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM

c300 4matic
I'm in Toronto. Come on down.....
Old 01-17-2015, 02:44 PM

c300 4matic
Since Mercedes reads posts on this forum, then I hope they see this and pass this message along.

We have the power to make this main stream news. Now I really don't think they want that.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:03 PM

I'm in Toronto. Come on down.....
If push comes to shove then I'm sure we can get a lot of SW Ontario W205 owners raising attention outside MB Canada.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:11 PM

C-300
Thanks for the advice Derek. I'm calling corporate on Monday. To make matters even worse, the sales guy who sold the car to me has resigned from MB. Not sure what the back story is there (he seemed like a decent guy) whereas the rest of the dealership seemed a little skeevy (actually, two guys there sounded racist in my little interaction with me - joking about other people, they treated me fine). It's all a bit weird in my view. With the exception of my salesguy, at one point I was wondering if I was actually at a luxury dealership (the people I've interacted at near me with BMW and Audi were much more professional).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem