C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by floridadriver
So far, the airmatic has been one of the most reliable parts of the car. Really, not many warranty issues yet on any system, though, the cars are very young. PLENTY of poor build and poor quality control issues both from factory and suppliers as well discussed.

Of course, historically air suspensions need more love down the road than steel. But so do most luxury items. Pick which ones are worth the cost:benefit to you. If you're looking to avoid maintenance costs down the road above all, a German automobile may not be the best choice.
Like I said if you are under warranty no worries. It doesn't usually start having problems until year 5+. It was info for people who purchase their vehicles and keep it longer than 4 years.
Here is a link to E-class 212 that has the problem and there are others. Already and the cars are only 2-3 years old.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...le-rising.html

Last edited by rieger; 01-12-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:59 PM

MB C300, Audi A4
I just got beck from my dealing in White plains, NY. I spoke with the head of service who told me the latest on the problem. Apparently MB scrambled in getting the TSB issued. The issue is not with the MBTEX but rather its the cushions within the seats. The residue we are seeing is an oil (like a mineral oil) used in production of the foam seats. Its similar to the substances found in foam mattresses. Apparently this is what is seeping through the MBTEX. The reason we don't see it on the armrests is due to the lack of cushions.

Simply replacing the seat covers is not going to solve the issue so MB is still working on a solution. In the mean time, they put me in line for the fix once it is available and provided seat covers. They will wash the seats as well if you like. It sounds like the MBTEX will need to be removed and the cushions replaced.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleBull
I just got beck from my dealing in White plains, NY. I spoke with the head of service who told me the latest on the problem. Apparently MB scrambled in getting the TSB issued. The issue is not with the MBTEX but rather its the cushions within the seats. The residue we are seeing is an oil (like a mineral oil) used in production of the foam seats. Its similar to the substances found in foam mattresses. Apparently this is what is seeping through the MBTEX. The reason we don't see it on the armrests is due to the lack of cushions.

Simply replacing the seat covers is not going to solve the issue so MB is still working on a solution. In the mean time, they put me in line for the fix once it is available and provided seat covers. They will wash the seats as well if you like. It sounds like the MBTEX will need to be removed and the cushions replaced.
If this is the case then sorry to say but this will be a disaster. Whole seats have to be changed out. This will result in some scratched vehicles for sure if they need to change out the seats if not done carefully. Not easy to take out and put seats in especially by dealerships who's mechanics don't do it often. I know BMW changed out some seats in the 3er due to rust and some guys complained about scratched paint.
I hope this isn't the problem.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by DoubleBull

That makes sense. And it also explains why leather would be included.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rieger
If this is the case then sorry to say but this will be a disaster. Whole seats have to be changed out. This will result in some scratched vehicles for sure if they need to change out the seats if not done carefully. Not easy to take out and put seats in especially by dealerships who's mechanics don't do it often. I know BMW changed out some seats in the 3er due to rust and some guys complained about scratched paint.
I hope this isn't the problem.

Is there just a default level of hysteria here? I mean obviously MB is attempting to cover up the shipping of toxic waste inside of seat cushions, toxins that will dissolve little princess to a puddle of goo right in her kiddy seat.
Now that they've offered a fix, it's certain everyone's car will be scratched to bare paint just out of spite.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:06 PM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Eilers
I was surprised to read that MB attributes this problem to Leather also.

MB states of the official letter, that the sealant is the problem on both MB tex and Leather. What surprises me, is that for this to be correct, then MB must have used the same Sealant for both vinyl and leather seats.

Vinyl is man made plastic, and leather is a living breathing material. I would have expected, that you would not use the same type of sealant for these to types of material.
But MB has already said the material is in the foam, not the mbtex. I would postulate that the leather is actually soaking this stuff up, not letting it sit on the surface. it cooks off when the car is warm anyway.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM

E90 335i
This is actually just sad... the thing that put the W205 on the map was its beautiful interior which now (if its true it is in the foam) requires a major fix. As somebody currently in the market this is making me push pause until they get it figured out on new builds... maybe it'll take long enough to see what the new A4 has to offer
Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 PM

S205
Originally Posted by schorert1
But MB has already said the material is in the foam, not the mbtex. I would postulate that the leather is actually soaking this stuff up, not letting it sit on the surface. it cooks off when the car is warm anyway.
Reading the official letter, they specifically mention that the Sealant is the substance that shows up on the surface.

"Due to production deviation in manufacturing, at temperatures below 32 F along with certain elevated humidity conditions, the seat material may “sweat” and the material used to seal the seats gathers on the seat surfaces"

Now someone mentions that the problem is in the Foam. Is that the "Seat material" mentioned?

Hmm.. the official letter reads almost duplicitous.. Hard to tell what is up and down in this..
Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
People are getting different stories from their dealers, MB customer service reps, and the official releases and TSB. I'm not sure any of this makes a lot of sense, or explains the changing patterns or amount of residue coming from the vinyl. Ultimately MB may just conclude that they'll have to pull and replace all the complete seat assemblies on all the affected cars.

At this point, I'm taking everything with a grain of salt.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by schorert1
Is there just a default level of hysteria here? I mean obviously MB is attempting to cover up the shipping of toxic waste inside of seat cushions, toxins that will dissolve little princess to a puddle of goo right in her kiddy seat.
Now that they've offered a fix, it's certain everyone's car will be scratched to bare paint just out of spite.
Nope not hysteria, just look at your seat and imagine getting that big piece of metal out of your drivers side door.To remove the whole seat they also need to remove the door I believe. If not it will definitely be a tight space. You can watch a video on youtube of them installing the seat and you will then realize it isn't as easy as you think.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM

S205
Pulling seats out of a car is not a problem. It takes an hour to an hour and a half, no more. Having stripped +100 cars in my life for racing, I for one can speak with first hand experience.

Heavy electric front seats is usually a two man job, but it is no problem getting them out the door openings.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by StanNH
I'm pretty sure that MB-Tex is used on some areas of the seats and headrests of the leather interiors. I believe the sides of the seats and headrests are not leather. Those might be the areas that could be affected by this. I can't see how the leather itself would be vulnerable to the bleeding problem.
Yep! as I said in a previous comment. The leather angle makes no sense.

I would not take spurious dealer comments too seriously.

A lesson never well learned by the oil industry. When you have an issue that requires to be communicated to customers it needs to be precise, complete & as all encompassing as possible. Leave any gaps & someone down the comms chain will invent something to fill those gaps.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM

MB C300, Audi A4
The person I was dealing with at the dealership in White Plains, NY seemed pretty knowledgeable about the issue. He mentioned that representatives from MBUSA had been on site last week when this blew up. Like I said, he mentioned that the original release from MB probably did not have all the facts at the time, but that the problem is not sealant related but is oil from the cushions. This explains why some people with leather have seen it and also explains why all armrests show no sign of the issue.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Time will tell. If people don't know how to make closed cell foam by now then I don't know. We know of nobody with a leather issue. Let's see what transpires.

If it was foam related I would expect it to be more pronounced in the perforated areas.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-12-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
I spoke with both my dealership and corporate customer service today. Both claim that the parts replacement is not the foam (customer service double checked) but is instead the seat covers. Corporate said they will get back to me in one day as to what the exact chemical substance is that is leaking (we shall see about that but I said that I'm greatly concerned given I have a pregnant wife in the car. Told her they can say its non-toxic but pregnant women can't be near kitty litter or eat cold cuts either). Finally, supposedly I will be getting the parts on Wednesday. Again we shall see.

I asked if they fixed my tail lights and they said it was improved but I got the sense that it still wasn't perfect. Also, they said that there is no option to retrofit an OEM camera to the car and that would have to be a 3rd party camera and 3rd part installer (and could void the warranty). I wish they would throw in a nav SD card for free for my trouble and a free oil change but that's wishful thinking I believe.

Anyway, just getting the information out there I've been told.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
This is starting to read like a spy novel. I believe the first bulletin (12/19/14) said the seat covers would be replaced.

The 1/9/15, Q & A mentions the material used to seal the seats gathers on the seat surfaces.

And now an owner says the dealer told him the problem is an oily substance coming from the seat cushions. That would explain why leather is also affected.

But, most recently an owner says he spoke to corporate who confirmed it is not the cushions but the seat covers.

My build was bumped from Jan 12 to Jan 6, the day after new vehicle production is being produced with updated seat material.

I'm a little nervous, but excited my car will arrive soon.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by npa201
I spoke with both my dealership and corporate customer service today. Both claim that the parts replacement is not the foam (customer service double checked) but is instead the seat covers.
This makes sense.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 PM

MB C300, Audi A4
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
This is starting to read like a spy novel. I believe the first bulletin (12/19/14) said the seat covers would be replaced.

The 1/9/15, Q & A mentions the material used to seal the seats gathers on the seat surfaces.

And now an owner says the dealer told him the problem is an oily substance coming from the seat cushions. That would explain why leather is also affected.

But, most recently an owner says he spoke to corporate who confirmed it is not the cushions but the seat covers.

My build was bumped from Jan 12 to Jan 6, the day after new vehicle production is being produced with updated seat material.

I'm a little nervous, but excited my car will arrive soon.

Yes this really is like a novel. I think some people including those at MB are jumping to conclusions trying to diagnose what is causing this without actually knowing yet. We will see. I'm interested in seeing if it is the seat cover that caused the issue or the cushion. Would be great if just the cover is at fault because I'm hoping that is an easier fix. However, if it is just the cover, how come there is no issue with the MBTEX on the rear armrest? For this reason, I'm inclined to think the cushion is at fault here. Maybe changing the seat covers is the solution they are proposing to provide owners with clean seats - especially if the bleeding stops occurring after the initial occurrence or two once the excess oil from the cushion has pushed through to the surface.

They said that they washed the seats for some customers and those customers haven't yet had a reoccurrence that they are aware of. I'm hoping we will get more clarity this week on what the actual cause is. I'll put in a call to MBUSA tomorrow as well.

Also curious to see if they issue a recall as every C300 has the potential to have this issue. This is really disappointing but I guess this was the risk we took buying a first year build. That's a mistake I won't repeat again.

Last edited by DoubleBull; 01-12-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
I do not think it is the seat cushion. I noticed the symmetry in the lines of the oil and it looks like it is how the solvent or whatever is initially applied to the Mbtex. The pattern looks like someone or something (I'm sure a robot) is applying it initially and then it is spread around evenly later. If it was cushion related, it would not seep out in a pattern

Last edited by joshg1001; 01-12-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Perhaps the console covers and armrests are a different MB-Tex since they are probably thinner then they also may be from a different process or manufacturing run.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Repair kits are now being shipped!

I just got off the phone with MB Customer Service and my dealer's service manager. They told me the repair kits are being sent out this week, and dealers should have them in a few days. The kits consist of new covers for the seats, new headrests, and tools for the removal and re-installation of the seat covers.

My dealer did confirm that the issue was, in fact, the plasticizer being used in the MB-Tex material for the seats and headrests. It's not the foam, not the sealant, not the glue ... it is the plasticizer, which is what Glyn had suspected from day one. It is non-toxic and non-staining.

The dealer will pick up my car at my house, and leave me another C300 as a loaner. I will drive down to pick up the car when it's finished, because I want to inspect all the work before I agree to accept it.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I just got off the phone with MB Customer Service and my dealer's service manager. They told me the repair kits are being sent out this week, and dealers should have them in a few days. The kits consist of new covers for the seats, new headrests, and tools for the removal and re-installation of the seat covers.

My dealer did confirm that the issue was, in fact, the plasticizer being used in the MB-Tex material for the seats and headrests. It's not the foam, not the sealant, not the glue ... it is the plasticizer, which is what Glyn had suspected from day one. It is non-toxic and non-staining.

The dealer will pick up my car at my house, and leave me another C300 as a loaner. I will drive down to pick up the car when it's finished, because I want to inspect all the work before I agree to accept it.
Thanks for finding out Stan ~ that makes sense.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:22 PM

MB C300, Audi A4

Glad to hear its finally sorted out. I'm annoyed that my dealer told me it was the cushions, but I guess there must have been a lot of erroneous info floating around within MB on this. Looking forward to having mine fixed.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:50 PM

c300 4matic
Thanks for the clarification

I am from Canada and my dealership has told me that we can expect the covers in 3 weeks. I am wondering why your covers are coming sooner.

Dealership said they are coming from Europe.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes StanNH.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

c300 4matic
Also, did the dealer say how they are going to deal with the passenger seat?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem