C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by KLF
Dusty? Dusty and Oily are very different. I think that guy may need to get his eyes checked. Or maybe they are being told to "not say a thing" until Mercedes Benz gets their PR plan around this issue in place. As a PR professional, this would make most sense to me.

My sales guy and another guy who works in Service Relations at my dealership told me that they had not heard of it. However, I have a good friend who works at MB Corporate and he told me that all dealers received a notice about this in NetStar (I think I am saying it right). NetStar is some sort of internal communications program that the delivers communications to the dealers from MB Corporate. Even after I shared a link to the Autoblog article about the issue with my sales guy, he still said he hadn't heard of the issue. So I don't know if he didn't' read the article or is just telling me something else.
The first TSB was released to dealers on 12/19/14 so, if a dealer doesn't know anything about this issue, he must be ignoring all service bulletins being sent out by MB. I think some dealers are scared by this and afraid it will hurt sales, so they're not being very upfront about it. Other dealers, mine included, are going out of their way to take care of the problem as quickly as they can.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by npa201
Which Jersey location?
Cherry Hill
Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Smile The MB-tex Problem

Passenger Seat Base Solution Found!
My service advisor just informed me that he received a bulletin saying a solution has been found for the passenger seat base.Covers for this base will be sent along with my original order for the other seat and headrest covers.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM

c300 4matic
Originally Posted by TorontoBenz
My service advisor just informed me that he received a bulletin saying a solution has been found for the passenger seat base.Covers for this base will be sent along with my original order for the other seat and headrest covers.
Well that good to know that the whole issue will be taken care of.
Did you get a time frame as to when the seat covers will be in? I am in Toronto also.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by SRF 27
Did you get a time frame as to when the seat covers will be in? I am in Toronto also.
Oakville Benz said a huge shipment is coming to Canada 2 weeks from today.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Originally Posted by TorontoBenz
This is great news for everyone experiencing this problem. It's also a relief for the rest of us with cars built prior to 1/5/15. Since I live in the SF Bay Area where the climate is pretty easy on us, my car has not shown this problem yet. However, eventually I will get my MBTex replaced because you never know when the MBTex Ooze Time Bomb might go off.

As a side note I was talking to a manager MB-Long Beach, CA. yesterday and she never heard of Bleeding Seats. Now, THAT I believe. Not a lot of freezing tempatures in LA.

Now if we can just get the bumper/tail light misalignment issue addressed by MBUSA, we can get down to just enjoying our wonderful cars.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:43 PM

2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Hey Neighbour,
Sorry, no ETA.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
Is this MB Tex treated with leather protectant hence the oil? Wet rag and some soap should be the usual maintenance for MB tex or else this happens. Only leather will absorb leather protectant.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sblvro
Is this MB Tex treated with leather protectant hence the oil? Wet rag and some soap should be the usual maintenance for MB tex or else this happens. Only leather will absorb leather protectant.
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure a wet rag and some soap is all that's needed. I'll call MB-USA immediately to have them cancel the repairs being done on my seats with the new material.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by StanNH
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure a wet rag and some soap is all that's needed. I'll call MB-USA immediately to have them cancel the repairs being done on my seats with the new material.
Oh wow.....really?? Didn't understand what he was talking about at first, then I realized he was serious. And then...you responded. Hilarious, got a headache laughing so hard!! Idiot (him of course).
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Here we go!!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 PM

c300 4matic

Huh??????
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM

c300 4matic
You obviously don't have a 2015 C300 affected by the MB bleeding seats syndrome......
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
You obviously don't have a 2015 C300 affected by the MB bleeding seats syndrome......
Just bought a new 2014 GLK 350 4matic last year for daughter. Picked MB tex since it "should" be durable. I guess not?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Just bought a new 2014 GLK 350 4matic last year for daughter. Picked MB tex since it "should" be durable. I guess not?
The issue is confined to 2015 model w205 cars built in North America that have been exposed to sub zero temperatures. There is plenty of background in the numerous thread posted here.

Your car is the wrong year and wrong model to be affected.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is a problem unique to the 2015 C-Class built in Alabama. All of the MB-Tex used on the US production is defective and has to be replaced. MB has developed a repair kit and is currently sending these out to dealers.

There are hundreds of posts here dealing with this problem. It has nothing to do with maintenance of the material, and is even found on new cars on dealers' lots. It is temperature related .... and a major problem with the new W205.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
Stan,

I'm curious about your statement that "all" of the MBTex is defective. Where does that come from?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by StanNH
This is a problem unique to the 2015 C-Class built in Alabama. All of the MB-Tex used on the US production is defective and has to be replaced.
While I am not disputing those statements, it gets interesting if ALL MB-Tex is affected. As I have mentioned before, I live in a climate where I would expect bleeding - but have not experienced it (yet).

If ALL cars built prior to 1/5 are affected, wouldn't they be required to issue a recall instead of a TSB?

And....does anyone know the difference between a recall and a TSB? My guess is it's active vs. passive. For a recall, something/someone notifies the owner which is active. For a TSB, it is passive in that they only do the work if the owner complains or asks questions. My guess????

Anyway, as I (and others) have mentioned before, I am concerned about this being a TSB that could possibly be time-limited. My understanding of recalls is they are not limited by time. Again, just a guess.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by goherdibg
While I am not disputing those statements, it gets interesting if ALL MB-Tex is affected. As I have mentioned before, I live in a climate where I would expect bleeding - but have not experienced it (yet).
Is your car garaged? Mine is, and I had not seen any bleeding. So I parked it outside for one night when I knew it would be cold (~15 degrees). Woke up, and the seats were bleeding. The garage is too warm, and even parking outside during the day was too warm. But that cold night triggered it.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Based on what I've read and heard, I think it's most accurate to say any/all MB Tex seats have the potential to be impacted by this. MB has not communicated that only certain batches, etc. were impacted so no one can be ruled out that way. On the other hand, several people here have reported that they have not seen any bleeding despite their car being in conditions that typically lead to bleeding.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by richardamp
Based on what I've read and heard, I think it's most accurate to say any/all MB Tex seats have the potential to be impacted by this. MB has not communicated that only certain batches, etc. were impacted so no one can be ruled out that way. On the other hand, several people here have reported that they have not seen any bleeding despite their car being in conditions that typically lead to bleeding.
Not true, C Class with productions date of 1/5/2015 and after does not have this issue. At least that's what MB told us.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by miketc
Not true, C Class with productions date of 1/5/2015 and after does not have this issue. At least that's what MB told us.
Fair enough, I should have made that clearer. The point was that prior to January 5 they haven't narrowed down specific batches, build dates, etc. as of yet. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually are able to get more precise on the cars impacted.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If ALL cars built prior to 1/5 are affected, wouldn't they be required to issue a recall instead of a TSB?

And....does anyone know the difference between a recall and a TSB? My guess is it's active vs. passive. For a recall, something/someone notifies the owner which is active. For a TSB, it is passive in that they only do the work if the owner complains or asks questions. My guess????

Anyway, as I (and others) have mentioned before, I am concerned about this being a TSB that could possibly be time-limited. My understanding of recalls is they are not limited by time. Again, just a guess.
It's not a safety or drivability issue, so no recall. It's still a TSB, with no expiration date that I've seen.

MB's official statement was that all cars made prior to 1/5 are at risk. Nobody knows how many cars are actually affected, and some in warmer climates may never be affected, but the assumption now is that all cars may be at risk.

It's an odd problem in that not every car, even in cold climates, has shown signs of the bad material. I live in a cold climate, and I didn't see anything until December, even though we've had sub freezing temperatures since I bought the car in late September. There are still more questions than answers.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
Is your car garaged? Mine is, and I had not seen any bleeding. So I parked it outside for one night when I knew it would be cold (~15 degrees). Woke up, and the seats were bleeding. The garage is too warm, and even parking outside during the day was too warm. But that cold night triggered it.

It is garaged overnight but when we (DC area) had temps in the single digits a few weeks ago I had my car parked outside at work for 10 hours and still nothing. Wonder if it has anything to do with the cold temps overnight with the possible rise in humidity in early mornings that contributed to the bleeding?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
It is garaged overnight but when we (DC area) had temps in the single digits a few weeks ago I had my car parked outside at work for 10 hours and still nothing. Wonder if it has anything to do with the cold temps overnight with the possible rise in humidity in early mornings that contributed to the bleeding?
I am in DC too. And didn't see anything during the day parked outside either. I only saw it two weeks ago when left outside overnight when we had that cold spell. It is meant to be back into the teens on Mon and Tues night. Maybe leave it out then to check?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem