C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by npa201
Thanks for the advice Derek. I'm calling corporate on Monday. To make matters even worse, the sales guy who sold the car to me has resigned from MB. Not sure what the back story is there (he seemed like a decent guy) whereas the rest of the dealership seemed a little skeevy (actually, two guys there sounded racist in my little interaction with me - joking about other people, they treated me fine). It's all a bit weird in my view. With the exception of my salesguy, at one point I was wondering if I was actually at a luxury dealership (the people I've interacted at near me with BMW and Audi were much more professional).
SRF: There is an additional potential benefit to continuing to hold their loaner while they have your car. I don't know the Ontario statutes on Lemon Law, but in many US states, once a car has been in the service department 4 times for the same issue or (here's the key) out of service for 30 days, the Lemon Law may be invoked. If Ontario law has this provision and you can hang on for 30 days, MB Canada's choices become significantly limited in how to deal with you. Even if the loaner goes back, (for example, if they threaten to report it stolen), if you don't accept your unrepaired car, the clock would keep ticking.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Toronto Bleeding seats

Originally Posted by SRF 27
My dealership told me that I'm the only one who has had this problem with the mb tex bleeding seat problem. I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Just wondering if this dealer is giving me the business.
Am curious as to how many people in this forum are from Toronto, with the bleeding seats.

I am from Toronto and have bleeding seats. I told my salesman of the issue on Dec 19 and he assured me Mercedes would take care of it. I saw a service advisor on Jan 13 and he ordered seat covers for all seats and headrests with the exception of the passenger seat bottom. ETA Feb 3 as they are coming from Germany. He said my car was the first one he actually saw with this problem but he said he did receive an e-mail about it so was aware of the issue. I said I really wanted to know the name of the chemical compound which is bleeding out but he did not know. He said he would ask his service manager but I have not received a response yet. He assured me that the mechanics are competent and experienced in upholstering seats as they do this when there is a problem with airbags or heating elements in the seats.
Thank you StanNH for your ongoing updates on this issue. I am anxiously awaiting to hear and see the results of your seat replacements.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by TorontoBenz
I am from Toronto and have bleeding seats. I told my salesman of the issue on Dec 19 and he assured me Mercedes would take care of it. I saw a service advisor on Jan 13 and he ordered seat covers for all seats and headrests with the exception of the passenger seat bottom. ETA Feb 3 as they are coming from Germany. He assured me that the mechanics are competent and experienced in upholstering seats as they do this when there is a problem with airbags or heating elements in the seats.
TorontoBenz: are you dealing with one of the eight MB corporate Toronto stores or an independent MB dealership ? The level of expertise is likely to higher with the former.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM

2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Originally Posted by DerekACS
TorontoBenz: are you dealing with one of the eight MB corporate Toronto stores or an independent MB dealership ? The level of expertise is likely to higher with the former.
Yes I'm dealing with a corporate dealership and so far they have been great.
Thanks for the reassurance!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
SRF: There is an additional potential benefit to continuing to hold their loaner while they have your car. I don't know the Ontario statutes on Lemon Law, but in many US states, once a car has been in the service department 4 times for the same issue or (here's the key) out of service for 30 days, the Lemon Law may be invoked. If Ontario law has this provision and you can hang on for 30 days, MB Canada's choices become significantly limited in how to deal with you. Even if the loaner goes back, (for example, if they threaten to report it stolen), if you don't accept your unrepaired car, the clock would keep ticking.
In NJ the lemon law process is 20 days and unable to repair which theoretically this would apply to. For a new car to be considered a lemon it must "the defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of your vehicle, or be a “serious safety defect” which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven." In this case I would think that an inability to replace the seats as substantially impacting the value, no?

Anyway, do you guys think I should wait until the 20 days before I ask about a replacement or should I call sooner (it would be 10 days) so that we are closer to the purchase date so I don't have to enforce a lemon law clause (which then requires me to send them a letter citing lemon law and a court hearing)? Thoughts people? Perhaps I should be talking to a lawyer. Anyway, they are basically telling me that I will wait closer to 40 days plus and even when they replace the seat covers the rear seat bottoms won't be replaced as per StanNH comments.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 PM

c300 4matic
I am from Toronto and have bleeding seats. I told my salesman of the issue on Dec 19 and he assured me Mercedes would take care of it. I saw a service advisor on Jan 13 and he ordered seat covers for all seats and headrests with the exception of the passenger seat bottom. ETA Feb 3 as they are coming from Germany. He said my car was the first one he actually saw with this problem but he said he did receive an e-mail about it so was aware of the issue. I said I really wanted to know the name of the chemical compound which is bleeding out but he did not know. He said he would ask his service manager but I have not received a response yet. He assured me that the mechanics are competent and experienced in upholstering seats as they do this when there is a problem with airbags or heating elements in the seats.
Thank you StanNH for your ongoing updates on this issue. I am anxiously awaiting to hear and see the results of your seat replacements.
Well it's nice to know I have company here in Toronto. I took the car in today to have it cleaned and was told that the service people don't work on Saturday and the sales person was going to clean it, with some spray that she thought was the right one. Huh???? I said no don't do it, if you don't know what it is....Also, she was the one that said that I was the only one that has this problem. So I took a look around the parking lot and of course they they were 4 cars bleeding.......I brought it to her attention.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 PM

c300 4matic
Yes I'm dealing with a corporate dealership and so far they have been great.
Thanks for the reassurance!
I am also dealing with a corporate dealership. Yes, they have been good.
We will see how good they are when they put the covers in. And hopefully not scratch anything.

BTW, some dealerships have given nice dinner certificates to our friends south of the border, for their inconvenience. I haven't seen any dinners thrown my way?????
Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
OMG! I just ordered a C400 to replace my 09 C300 this evening and I never even looked through this side of the forum as I was not thinking of replacing my w204 yet until last night. I will be canceling my order first thing tom. This is just bad, very bad and cant think of what I will do to my dealer if I see my brand new car the morning after I bring it home and see this. If this dont gets resolved a bimmer or 2014 C63 will replace my W204. The funny thing about this as I had this same issue with the headrest of my GLK before it became oily then had a white residue depending on the temperature and the dealer replaced it on the spot. I do hope the ML I just bought does not have this issue or I will go balistic.
If you are willing to spend the money on a C63, why not just spend the extra $2k for the leather interior, and not be (potentially-)bothered by this MBTex/Artico problem in the first place?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM
KLF

Mercedes C-300 (2015) with bleeding seats & a Saab 9-3 convertible (that I am holding onto).
Well here I am (from Philadelphia) to join your Mercedes 2015 C-300 Bleeding Seats Party.

My seats are bleeding. And really bad. I can't believe a $50k would do this.

My car is at my dealership right now, but I have not heard from anyone with regard to what exactly will be done, why, and what I can be assured of long term.

See what ya think from these photos from my car.

This is what it looks like when the substance dries.

This is what it looks like when its really cold out. The oil is essentially wet and disgusting.

Went oil. You don't want to sit on this as it leaves marks on your clothes.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 PM

C-300
StanNH? You get your car back yet? Any update?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Wow...KLF's seats out do Stan's IMO...and anyone else's on the forum for that matter. Curious to know KLF regarding your claim that the bleeding leaves marks on your clothes. How so? This, if correct, would be contrary to MB's info and would no doubt create even more problems.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by npa201
StanNH? You get your car back yet? Any update?
The dealer picks it up tomorrow morning, so no word yet.

That report of damage to clothing is odd .... nothing like this has ever been reported by either owners, dealers, or MB-USA before. I've sat on the seats when they looked oily, and when they were covered in the white stuff, and have never seen it react with any clothing.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM
KLF

Mercedes C-300 (2015) with bleeding seats & a Saab 9-3 convertible (that I am holding onto).
Angry

Originally Posted by Mark's M
Wow...KLF's seats out do Stan's IMO...and anyone else's on the forum for that matter. Curious to know KLF regarding your claim that the bleeding leaves marks on your clothes. How so? This, if correct, would be contrary to MB's info and would no doubt create even more problems.
Yeah, my seats are TERRIBLE! This is an utter disgrace! Who the hell wants to sit in a car like this and have guests in a car like this? Not me or any of you.

I can't sit in the car and no one else can either. At night, when it gets really cold, the seats get all slimy and oily. This is when the oils rubs off on the clothes. Mine is so bad that oil just rubs off on my hands and fingers. But this only happens when its actually wet and learning. When its dry, it doesn't get on anything.

See the 2 pics I posted that show the seats shiny? I took those at night - in the dark. And in very cold temperature weather around 15 degrees fahrenheit. You can see how slick the seats are. When you sit on that slick oil, that crap rubs off onto your clothes. But in daytime, when the temperature heats up, all that slimy oily stuff then heats up into the white chalky crap and then its starts all over again and sometimes goes away.

Is this what is happening to some of you?

I am new to this forum. I just found it online while Googling. It seems really helpful and its helping me keep my cool while I am really pissed about this whole thing.

Here are some more pics of the damage it did to one of my duck down-feathered coats.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 PM
KLF

Originally Posted by SRF 27
Well it's nice to know I have company here in Toronto. I took the car in today to have it cleaned and was told that the service people don't work on Saturday and the sales person was going to clean it, with some spray that she thought was the right one. Huh???? I said no don't do it, if you don't know what it is....Also, she was the one that said that I was the only one that has this problem. So I took a look around the parking lot and of course they they were 4 cars bleeding.......I brought it to her attention.
I have also been told by my salesman at my dealership that I am the only one with bleeding seats. I wonder if I too walked around the lot of the dealership if i would see others doing the same thing as mine. This is one of those things where you don't know what to look for until you know what to look for. And its only happening in really cold weather. We got down to 5 degrees the other week. Thats really cold for us. The seats bleed more and more when its colder.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KLF
I have also been told by my salesman at my dealership that I am the only one with bleeding seats. I wonder if I too walked around the lot of the dealership if i would see others doing the same thing as mine. This is one of those things where you don't know what to look for until you know what to look for. And its only happening in really cold weather. We got down to 5 degrees the other week. Thats really cold for us. The seats bleed more and more when its colder.
It is a very well known problem and MB is recovering the seats and replacing the headrests on affected cars. You have to call MB-USA tomorrow and report the problem so they can get in touch with your dealer and have the repair kit shipped to them. You are the first person to experience staining on clothing, so also report that and I'm sure you'll be reimbursed for that.

There are several threads on this forum dealing with the MB-Tex "bleeding" issue.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by KLF
Perhaps your car has been in a polar vortex of some sort while the rest of Phily and all the other C300/400's are basking in warm sunshine?

Honestly, some of these CA's are just plain stupid. Why add insult to injury, tell customers the honest to God's truth (including what MB is doing about it) and impress them with candour, not lies. On a happy note, having one of the only C's in Philadelphia....hell, maybe in all of Pennsylvania....you'll be sure to get your replacement covers lickety split!!! Lol. Good luck, looking forward to your results.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by KLF
Well here I am (from Philadelphia) to join your Mercedes 2015 C-300 Bleeding Seats Party.

My seats are bleeding. And really bad. I can't believe a $50k would do this.

My car is at my dealership right now, but I have not heard from anyone with regard to what exactly will be done, why, and what I can be assured of long term.

See what ya think from these photos from my car.

I am wondering why the backs of the seats do not have any sign of the "chalking"? Do they not bleed?

I am lucky that I have not yet experienced this and am wondering why and hoping there is simply a bad batch of MB-Tex from the supplier - which would possibly be the reason the seat backs from KLF's photo do not appear to be affected. Of course the photo is small and maybe I am just not seeing it.

This is the really confusing part - I live near DC so I am getting pretty much the same weather as KLF and am not seeing anything at all. As far as I can tell, the TSB applies to all C's made prior to Jan 5th. Is that when they started using a different supplier? I would think MB could find some correlation among all of the affected vehicles and narrow down the TSB if possible. If they did, I'm sure a lot of us on here would be relieved. As it stands now, every time I walk up to my car I peer in with trepidation and it's driving me batty

Just some random thoughts.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 AM
KLF

Originally Posted by goherdibg
I am wondering why the backs of the seats do not have any sign of the "chalking"? Do they not bleed?
Goherdigb, this back seat photo I took was during the day, after the very low temp hit at night and then started to warm up in the morning. If you look at the other pics I posted, I took two at night time when its been the coldest. At night night, in very low temp weather like 5 or 10 degrees the seats bleed like mad. The seats at night time literally ooze that oily substance out. To touch the seats was like touching a wet oil. Then as the temp starts to warm up in the early morning, this white chalky crap is what forms. I think this is forming when then temp hits say 25 to 30 degrees or so.

Is any one experiencing what I just explained? It sounds like mine may be the worst.

Check out this close up of one of the seats.

This was taken during the day time (mid morning) in around 25 to 30 fahrenheit degree weather.

This was taken at night in about 5 to 10 degree fahrenheit weather. The shiny stuff you are seeing is the oil leaking out. And this stuff does dry and turn into that white chalky substance when the temp outside the car starts to warm up. If you sit on this stuff while its wet and oily, it comes off on your clothes.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by KLF

Is any one experiencing what I just explained? It sounds like mine may be the worst.
Yes, what you are explaining is essentially what many others here are experiencing (only happens when it gets very cold then warms up, oily substance that turns white when it dries, etc.). You, however, are the first to report clothes being stained by the substance, and the amount of white substance on your back seats seems to be more than other users have seen (although almost every inch of my MB Tex has been oily..see pic below).

To your question about how this will be fixed, MB is replacing all seat covers with non-defective ones, but the parts are still be developed and we've gotten mixed messages about when everyone will have this issue fixed (between days and 2 months). Given the extreme nature of your case, I think it's reasonable to ask MB for some sort of tangible benefit in addition to just replacing your seat covers as this is completely unacceptable.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I asked my dealer about this issue and he is aware of it and has seen it personally. He was told that a batch of cars that were built around a certain stretch of dates was infected with subpar MB-Tex, a supply issue more than anything. Has anyone disclosed their build dates? I am curious to see if these cars affected were all built within a certain timeframe.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by coladin
I asked my dealer about this issue and he is aware of it and has seen it personally. He was told that a batch of cars that were built around a certain stretch of dates was infected with subpar MB-Tex, a supply issue more than anything. Has anyone disclosed their build dates? I am curious to see if these cars affected were all built within a certain timeframe.
All US built W205's with MB-Tex interiors, built prior to January 5th, 2015, are at risk. That information is directly from MB-USA.

In fact, MB even includes leather interiors in their notice, but no one has yet seen leather affected by this problem. Perhaps the MB-Tex used on the sides and backs of leather seats, and/or the headrests, is also at risk.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by coladin
I know we have seen build dates from both August and November mentioned here, and possibly others as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by KLF
I saw it walking around a dealer here in Jersey. He tried to tell me the seats were just dusty.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM

C-300
Originally Posted by Rone803
I saw it walking around a dealer here in Jersey. He tried to tell me the seats were just dusty.
Which Jersey location?
Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 PM
KLF

Originally Posted by Rone803
Dusty? Dusty and Oily are very different. I think that guy may need to get his eyes checked. Or maybe they are being told to "not say a thing" until Mercedes Benz gets their PR plan around this issue in place. As a PR professional, this would make most sense to me.

My sales guy and another guy who works in Service Relations at my dealership told me that they had not heard of it. However, I have a good friend who works at MB Corporate and he told me that all dealers received a notice about this in NetStar (I think I am saying it right). NetStar is some sort of internal communications program that the delivers communications to the dealers from MB Corporate. Even after I shared a link to the Autoblog article about the issue with my sales guy, he still said he hadn't heard of the issue. So I don't know if he didn't' read the article or is just telling me something else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem