C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
LOL. I was looking at available used w205s, to see if there were any current deals. Found this one in Illinois. Take a look at the photos of the driver seat. Bleeding a bit. I guess the photographer didn't think there was anything wrong with it

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...63121/photo/#0

Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,494 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Lol, what a disaster the w205 is....
Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
Here is my update:

-Purchased 12/30. Discovered tail light fit issues and mb-tex issues 4 days later. Took it to the shop and got a loaner on 12/10. Miles driven was about 140. 10 was already on it. 30 miles were driving it home from the dealership and back.

-I will not have parts until the end of February. My car is just sitting in the lot exposed to the weather. My case manager said I was denied for getting an exchange despite the low mileage and how close it was to purchase date.

-I am able to keep the loaner until the car is repaired. Even though the plasticizer was deemed "non-toxic", they agree with my concern that I should not expose a pregnant wife and 3 year old to the chemicals. As a first "goodwill" gesture they will give me the NAV SD card (my car was pre-wired). They said depending on how long it takes for the car to be repaired there will likely be additional repairs.

-I eagerly await to see how Stan's car looks once completed now that there is a fix supposedly for the seat pads (the bottoms). Before this fix was announced (for the bottoms as they already had a back seat kit) I was considering invoking the lemon law. I still am but sounds like this could be an uphill and drawn out process. That said, the law clearly states if they cannot fix it within 20 days and if it substantially impacts the value of the car (I think trying to sell a car with bleeding seats would impact the value, no?).

-What else do you guys think I should bring up as "fair compensation."? I purchased a C300 w/ the premium package, panoramic roof but no rearview camera (which I now regret since this loaner has that and lane assist). It sounds like there is no way to put a rearview camera on this as per conversations on this board. Are there any other upgrades I could add to the car? Perhaps move from 17inch wheels to 18inch wheels and get the multi-spoke alloy wheels? Could they retrofit it with the advance headlight package? Or should I ask for a service coverage? Just not even sure what I should ask for in these sorts of cases.

-Overall, I find my experience with MB very mixed so far but time will tell. The dealership was not a great experience and people there were kind of shady/unprofessional (my sales guy was nice although he was new and "resigned" after 2 weeks there). In my area, I've had much better experiences with BMW and Audi. I'm fairly certain they knew of this issue and sold me this car to get it off the lot. The case manager has been nice although hard to reach. And a loaner for this amount of time free of charge is nice I suppose.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by npa201
Here is my update:

-Purchased 12/30. Discovered tail light fit issues and mb-tex issues 4 days later. Took it to the shop and got a loaner on 12/10. Miles driven was about 140. 10 was already on it. 30 miles were driving it home from the dealership and back.

-I will not have parts until the end of February. My car is just sitting in the lot exposed to the weather. My case manager said I was denied for getting an exchange despite the low mileage and how close it was to purchase date.

-I am able to keep the loaner until the car is repaired. Even though the plasticizer was deemed "non-toxic", they agree with my concern that I should not expose a pregnant wife and 3 year old to the chemicals. As a first "goodwill" gesture they will give me the NAV SD card (my car was pre-wired). They said depending on how long it takes for the car to be repaired there will likely be additional repairs.

-I eagerly await to see how Stan's car looks once completed now that there is a fix supposedly for the seat pads (the bottoms). Before this fix was announced (for the bottoms as they already had a back seat kit) I was considering invoking the lemon law. I still am but sounds like this could be an uphill and drawn out process. That said, the law clearly states if they cannot fix it within 20 days and if it substantially impacts the value of the car (I think trying to sell a car with bleeding seats would impact the value, no?).

-What else do you guys think I should bring up as "fair compensation."? I purchased a C300 w/ the premium package, panoramic roof but no rearview camera (which I now regret since this loaner has that and lane assist). It sounds like there is no way to put a rearview camera on this as per conversations on this board. Are there any other upgrades I could add to the car? Perhaps move from 17inch wheels to 18inch wheels and get the multi-spoke alloy wheels? Could they retrofit it with the advance headlight package? Or should I ask for a service coverage? Just not even sure what I should ask for in these sorts of cases.

-Overall, I find my experience with MB very mixed so far but time will tell. The dealership was not a great experience and people there were kind of shady/unprofessional (my sales guy was nice although he was new and "resigned" after 2 weeks there). In my area, I've had much better experiences with BMW and Audi. I'm fairly certain they knew of this issue and sold me this car to get it off the lot. The case manager has been nice although hard to reach. And a loaner for this amount of time free of charge is nice I suppose.
This certainly has been a frustrating ownership experience for many of us so far. My car literally has accumulated more miles going back and forth to the dealer than it has from regular use.

As far as an exchange, once the car is registered to you, it's a used car regardless of the mileage. That's where MB-USA has to step in ... if they think it's appropriate and choose to do so. Their first step will be to offer service coupons to pay for future routine service, which can amount to a reasonable amount of money. Next step would be an extended warranty, and that's not as easy to get. The most difficult concession would be to have them reimburse the dealer for the cost of trading for another car. Given my own extensive service history, I will be pushing for that last option ... but I understand that may not be a realistic expectation since I'm still short of the Lemon Law threshold.

Just as an added bonus, my C300 loaner has twice now not recognized my fob. Once it would not let me unlock the doors, the other time it wouldn't let me use the keyless start. That's not even an Alabama issue, that's just bad programming.

Anyway, I should have my car back next week ... maybe? It will have new headrests and seat covers, a working outside door light, a sunroof shade that doesn't droop down, a proper functioning emission system, and a rear bumper that fits correctly. If it doesn't come back perfect, I will contact my state's Lemon Law office and see what my options are. At this point, I would be lying if I said I wasn't losing patience with this car.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by StanNH

Just as an added bonus, my C300 loaner has twice now not recognized my fob. Once it would not let me unlock the doors, the other time it wouldn't let me use the keyless start. That's not even an Alabama issue, that's just bad programming.
StanNH: based on my own recent experience with a new 2015 E250BT, "key not recognized" is the first indicator of a low battery in the key. Suggest you try replacing the key battery with a Panasonic CR2025. I had to replace both of my key batteries three weeks after taking delivery of my new car !!!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DerekACS
StanNH: based on my own recent experience with a new 2015 E250BT, "key not recognized" is the first indicator of a low battery in the key. Suggest you try replacing the key battery with a Panasonic CR2025. I had to replace both of my key batteries three weeks after taking delivery of my new car !!!
I won't bother with the loaner, but will with my own car whenever it comes back. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
This certainly has been a frustrating ownership experience for many of us so far. My car literally has accumulated more miles going back and forth to the dealer than it has from regular use.

As far as an exchange, once the car is registered to you, it's a used car regardless of the mileage. That's where MB-USA has to step in ... if they think it's appropriate and choose to do so. Their first step will be to offer service coupons to pay for future routine service, which can amount to a reasonable amount of money. Next step would be an extended warranty, and that's not as easy to get. The most difficult concession would be to have them reimburse the dealer for the cost of trading for another car. Given my own extensive service history, I will be pushing for that last option ... but I understand that may not be a realistic expectation since I'm still short of the Lemon Law threshold.

Anyway, I should have my car back next week ... maybe? It will have new headrests and seat covers, a working outside door light, a sunroof shade that doesn't droop down, a proper functioning emission system, and a rear bumper that fits correctly. If it doesn't come back perfect, I will contact my state's Lemon Law office and see what my options are. At this point, I would be lying if I said I wasn't losing patience with this car.
I'd say the service coupons are borderline worthless. Service A, for example, is basically nothing more than an oil change and visual inspection of a few items, including lights, brakes, coolant and wiper fluid level (c'mon).. really really basic stuff like that. It's almost a joke, but they charge an arm and leg for it.

I would ask for something more worthwhile/value-added in cases where compensation is justified. If they offer service coupons, just say "No thanks, I know how to change the oil and make sure my headlights are working.. but you know what, those full LED headlights would be mighty fine."

Probably unrealistic, but hey, go big or go home.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 PM

W205
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
LOL. I was looking at available used w205s, to see if there were any current deals. Found this one in Illinois. Take a look at the photos of the driver seat. Bleeding a bit. I guess the photographer didn't think there was anything wrong with it

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...63121/photo/#0

Ah yes, I think I saw the ad. The description said something along the lines of "SUPER low mileage, mint MINT in and out, this car is on the bleeding edge of technology!"
Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
[QUOTE) Ah yes, I think I saw the ad. The description said something along the lines of "SUPER low mileage, mint MINT in and out, this car is on the bleeding edge of technology!" [/QUOTE]

Very funny !!!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Never leave any keyless function keys within communication distance (for handshake) of the car or they never hibernate & will run down the batteries.

Once keys (where appropriate) are in the EIS slot they are inductively energised & don't require batteries for handshake & operation.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bloody Bleeding Beige!

Guess what I just noticed on the beige seats of my C300 loaner?

Yes, the beige seats are bleeding just like the black ones do. It's not nearly as obvious, but there are many oily spots on the seats and headrests. I haven't seen any of the white stuff yet, but this should answer any questions about only black being affected by this. I've only seen one other report of this on anything but black, but this should confirm that it is not color dependent.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

Once keys (where appropriate) are in the EIS slot they are inductively energised & don't require batteries for handshake & operation.
Glyn, can you clarify what this means, please?

Thx
Old 01-25-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by mihaelb

Thx
If you stick the key in the hole in the dash, you don't need a battery. The car can drive. If the key is in your pocket, you need a battery so that the key can signal the car that it is present, and allow you to stop/start/drive)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Never leave any keyless function keys within communication distance (for handshake) of the car or they never hibernate & will run down the batteries.
Maybe this explains why my new car's key batteries were so run down @ the time of delivery ? The keys would have been left inside the vehicle during the the 6-7 week long shipping period, from Germany to western Canada.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

You can't leave the keys in the car.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mihaelb

Thx
The Key is inductively energised by the EIS like charging your electric toothbrush in it's base.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ht=Inductively
Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205

It's you and NH... Have to keep my car away from you dude.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by miketc
I hope it's not a virus!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
So I have my loaner for 15 days now while I get the MB-TEX issue fixed and the problems I've noticed but me out (and just make me wonder when I'll discover those issues on my car when I get it back):
-Tail light fitment issues similar to my car
-LED lights on handles don't always light up
-Some slight MB-TEX bleeding but nowhere near as bad as mine
-Tire pressure sensor randomly stops working

Please tell me some of you guy have cars that have had zero issues so far?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by miketc
New Hampshire vinyl replacement policy:

Give Free or Dye
Old 01-25-2015, 10:32 PM

2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
I do have the MB-Tex issue as well as the tail light fitment issues but none of the other issues that I am reading about on this board.

We have a great MB Dealership here in town and they have addressed the issue for the seats and will be calling me as soon as the kits arrive. I told them to call me after they have replaced a few of them. I dont want to be first but I also don't want to be 99th. either.
I have total confidence they will make it all good at the end of the day.

Calgary broke temperature records today hitting a balmy +17 C

With the wonderful weather we had here today I took the opportunity to take the car out for a good run.
I must say the new C class is a great vehicle!!
The tail light issue I can live with and once the seats are dealt with I will be a happy camper.
Like with everything else in this world nothing is perfect so why should my car be? LOL
I generally judge people and service when there is a problem and MB has never let me down. Soooooo I am not too concerned as MB has always dealt with my issues courteously and professionally.
What more can I ask for?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5

Yes, the beige seats are bleeding just like the black ones do. It's not nearly as obvious, but there are many oily spots on the seats and headrests. I haven't seen any of the white stuff yet, but this should answer any questions about only black being affected by this. I've only seen one other report of this on anything but black, but this should confirm that it is not color dependent.
Oh no... I was hoping it was not going to happen to beige color seats.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Notice that even with beige the rear armrest seems unaffected. At least it is consistent!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by npa201
Please tell me some of you guy have cars that have had zero issues so far?
Zero but I have the car in exactly one week so time will tell.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another piece of information I just came across ...

The seats are made in Alabama by Johnson Controls. This is a very large, publicly traded corporation that has production facilities around the world. They make many interior parts for Mercedes and have had their US plant open since 2004. They have no history of quality concerns that I could find. I wonder if they're sub-contracting the MB-Tex material and just assembling the seats there.

So, the US W205 seats are not coming from a new supplier, but rather one that has a good history with the Alabama plant for over ten years. Some day, after all this has settled out, I'd love to learn how this all came about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem