C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How to leave engine running with locked door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250
How to leave engine running with locked door

Does anyone know if its possible to leave car with engine running, no key, and doors locked (like BMWs?)

Thanks
Old 01-11-2015, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Why?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:58 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by vic viper
Why?
Because some of us have dogs and I've used it many, many times in my former BMW's. Not for long but even a minute or two when it's 30 cel outside isn't good. And anyone stupid enough to want to break in wouldn't have been going anywhere soon as my BMW's wouldn't move out of "park". My Benzes won't move either but I don't want anyone taking the dogs either. I miss this feature.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
I do not really understand what you want to do and how they do it on BM ?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Couldn't you just start the car...get out and lock the doors??
Old 01-12-2015, 05:54 PM

'15 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
Couldn't you just start the car...get out and lock the doors??
Sadly, no. The exterior and keyfob lock buttons refuse to respond when the engine is on and the keyfob is outside the vehicle.

I've actually had trouble even leaving the doors unlocked and letting the car sit idle...when getting back in a couple of times the car has refused to recognize the keyfob and I've had to shut everything off and start back up before it will register.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by benzw205
With BMW's Comfort Access (same as Keyless Go for MB) you exit the running car, touch the door handle to lock it and voila...it locks. As stated above, MB's goofy system won't let you lock the doors under the same circumstances.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 PM

C400 4MATIC, AMG Sport Package, Panoramic Sunroof, Airmatic, 19" AMG bi-black rims, Tinted windows
I too wish I could lock my doors while the car is running. I'm honestly a little dumbfounded that you can't. To me this seems like a no brainer of a feature. It's quite cold here in canada so my car is constantly running when I'm not in it.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 PM

W205 C250
Originally Posted by benzw205
The car is frozen, 5 mins before you leave, you leave the car running with heated seats on, rear window demist and screen blower on full. You have a coffee and get into a warm defrosted car and drive off.

In a BMW, start the car with the doors shut, stop engine, start engine again within 10 seconds without the key. Use remote to lock door whilst car is running.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM

2014 GLK 250
I encountered the same problem with my 2014 GLK 250. Spoke with the dealership they said use the key fob, they have no idea it doesn't work even after advising them of this they tell me it should. So.... the only way I have found to do this which is a pain in the *** is, start the car, manually lock all the doors by hand, however the only way you can lock the drivers door while the car is running is open the rear door on that side reach forward and push down the drivers door lock. Once you come out to drive away forget about using the key fob it will not work when the car is locked up like this with engine running. You must slide the emergency key out of the fob and open the drivers door with that. Pretty handy eh.

Note.....The first time I tried this it was so cold the outside lock was frozen and the key wouldnt go all the way in so you might want to check that before hand so you dont find yourself locked out with the engine running like I did.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by zarken
I encountered the same problem with my 2014 GLK 250. Spoke with the dealership they said use the key fob, they have no idea it doesn't work even after advising them of this they tell me it should. So.... the only way I have found to do this which is a pain in the *** is, start the car, manually lock all the doors by hand, however the only way you can lock the drivers door while the car is running is open the rear door on that side reach forward and push down the drivers door lock. Once you come out to drive away forget about using the key fob it will not work when the car is locked up like this with engine running. You must slide the emergency key out of the fob and open the drivers door with that. Pretty handy eh.

Note.....The first time I tried this it was so cold the outside lock was frozen and the key wouldnt go all the way in so you might want to check that before hand so you dont find yourself locked out with the engine running like I did.

I did this yesterday LOL.

I left home with my phone left on table and i came back for it.

car parked on drive way, didnt want to turn the engine off since i just started it 4mins ago. using the lock button on the door and the driver door refuse to lock (but other doors did). and i left it as is then only come back to find the car does not recognize my key fob anymore. when I sit in the driver seat the car still shows "key not detected". I drove for 500 meters and stopped due to the intermittent beeping/warning sound. but my car refuse to start again saying no key detected. I had to stand there on the side of the road holding my phone pretending im on a call (-20c outside). then few mins later the key registered and i could start again.

will not do this again lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLE350 4Matic
Originally Posted by gsw5700
Does anyone know if its possible to leave car with engine running, no key, and doors locked (like BMWs?)

Thanks
After owning an 05S4304matic then a GL3204matic I bought a 2014 Jeep Grnad Cherokee Diesel(big mistake), that lasted 15 months and now just purchased a 2012 S350/Diesel 4 matic CPO and locking while running was my first priority to figure out as I am frequently at hotels in cold places. Here is a way I found to do it.
With drivers door open, open rear drivers side passenger door. Press central lock button on drivers door, then close drivers door. Reaching in from rear passenger door push down drivers door lock button on top of door. Then close rear passenger door. Now car is locked and all doors closed. To unlock, remove 'old fashoned key' from key fob. Inseret into drivers outside door lock and turn to left, leave it turned to the left then pull door handle several times quickly and walah, door open....
Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by wilburh1

I bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel (big mistake), that lasted 15 months...
I had problems with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 Overland as well (transmission), but I tell you though...I do miss that Jeep's remote start, heated steering wheel & heated rear seats.

I loved when I remote started my Grand Cherokee on a cold Winter morning (below 37 degrees)...the driver's heated seat, heated steering wheel, front & rear window defrost, and outside heated mirrors would all come on as well.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by wilburh1
After owning an 05S4304matic then a GL3204matic I bought a 2014 Jeep Grnad Cherokee Diesel(big mistake), that lasted 15 months and now just purchased a 2012 S350/Diesel 4 matic CPO and locking while running was my first priority to figure out as I am frequently at hotels in cold places. Here is a way I found to do it.
With drivers door open, open rear drivers side passenger door. Press central lock button on drivers door, then close drivers door. Reaching in from rear passenger door push down drivers door lock button on top of door. Then close rear passenger door. Now car is locked and all doors closed. To unlock, remove 'old fashoned key' from key fob. Inseret into drivers outside door lock and turn to left, leave it turned to the left then pull door handle several times quickly and walah, door open....
Newer production W205 cars now have the emergency key slot hidden on the bottom, downward facing side of the handle under a cover. Getting the cover off is difficult at best, and then you have to bend down and try to get the key into the downward facing slot. It's a total PITA and something you would not want to do on a regular basis.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:03 AM

2017 GLE350 4Matic
Originally Posted by StanNH
Newer production W205 cars now have the emergency key slot hidden on the bottom, downward facing side of the handle under a cover. Getting the cover off is difficult at best, and then you have to bend down and try to get the key into the downward facing slot. It's a total PITA and something you would not want to do on a regular basis.
I had a 2014 GC - Overland OR11 EcoDiesel and yes, loved the option of remote start warming the engine, cabin, seats & wheel however, the quality of the vehicle was less than desirable after driving 47k miles in 18 months and was tired of dealing with Chrysler service, it was hideous at best. Not to mention head buzzing after a 400-900 mile drive weekly with leg & backaches. Very uncomfortable seat for a 52k vehicle. I regret buying the Jeep, I don't know what I was thinking...
Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 PM

2015 C400
This is funny

I have litteraly tried all of this that you all have. Such an inconvenience that you cannot lock the doors while it warms up.

Of course, my car is one year late for Mbrace so im screwed on that end.

Final solution: Car stays unlocked and pray it never gets stolen:/
Old 01-08-2016, 10:03 AM

2015 C400
So i dont know if anyone figured this out yet but i figured I would share my solution anyway.

Once the car is started and you step out of the car, press the lock button on the door to lock all doors except the driver side.

Then close the driver side door, take the physical key out of the key mod, and manually lock the front door - problem solved.

When you come back to the car, you will have to manaully unlock the front door again
Old 01-08-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
Can you start the car, open drivers window get out shut drivers door, put hand through open window lock door now press the one touch on the window to close it.

I guess you would then need to manually open the car with the key.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 AM

2016 C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Jurzeykid

Once the car is started and you step out of the car, press the lock button on the door to lock all doors except the driver side.

Then close the driver side door, take the physical key out of the key mod, and manually lock the front door - problem solved.

When you come back to the car, you will have to manaully unlock the front door again

Do you take the whole key fob with you or leave the key fob in car and just take the key mod?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:28 PM

2013 E350 / 2017 E300 / 2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Jurzeykid
So i dont know if anyone figured this out yet but i figured I would share my solution anyway.

This works, it was posted in Jan and I'm not sure if anyone else has come up with a better solution.

Thanks,
dfskinner
Old 06-03-2016, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Lock the doors while inside the car and craw into the back seat with one side folded down.. Exit the trunk.. Close the trunk... Easy!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350d AMG Line Prem+
If your car is registered to Mercedes ConnectMe then you can close the doors and lock it with the app. Works for me and is far easier than messing about with the emergency key.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300
Just get in, start it, lock it, then break a window and crawl out. Done deal.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:03 PM

2016 C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Cbc200
If your car is registered to Mercedes ConnectMe then you can close the doors and lock it with the app. Works for me and is far easier than messing about with the emergency key.

This works for me as well and it's a lot easier than pulling out the key.

Only thing you do have to go back onto the app to unlock the doors, my key fob would not allow me to unlock.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350d AMG Line Prem+
Originally Posted by dmeng
This works for me as well and it's a lot easier than pulling out the key.

Only thing you do have to go back onto the app to unlock the doors, my key fob would not allow me to unlock.
Yeah true, the key fob doesn't allow you to unlock mine but it usually only takes a few seconds for it to unlock so not too inconvenient.
The following users liked this post:
dmeng (06-05-2016)