C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

FYI - Luxury drives very differently than Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Luxury
FYI - Luxury drives very differently than Sport

I had a day to test out a base "Sport" model. I own a Luxury C300 with standard steel suspension.

Both cars had 17" tires and were both set to 38PSI all around on tires.

The "Sport" (standard) model is:
- more stable ride overall
- tighter steering
- busier standard steel suspension

The "Luxury" package is:

- More wafty/cruiser
- Steering on "S" is closer to steering on Sport model's "C"
- Slightly more comfortable suspension

They actually feel very different back to back. The Sport model I could see being called a "Sport" sedan or "sporty". If you get the Luxury model, forget it, there isn't really a bit of sportiness to it. The Luxury model feels like you're driving a much softer car.

In either way, I have to say the Steel suspension both are pretty terrible. The worst part of this car (C300) is how badly other cars I've been excel in comfort, especially the Jaguar XF that I drove for about a month (a 2015 3.0 AWD model).
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Jinzen
In either way, I have to say the Steel suspension both are pretty terrible. The worst part of this car (C300) is how badly other cars I've been excel in comfort, especially the Jaguar XF that I drove for about a month (a 2015 3.0 AWD model).
What are you trying to say in the bolded snip above? It sounds like you are saying that the w205 is not comfortable at all especially compared to the XF, but I wasn't sure.

Also, what do you find terrible about the w205 suspensions?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM

2015 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by ddeliber
What are you trying to say in the bolded snip above? It sounds like you are saying that the w205 is not comfortable at all especially compared to the XF, but I wasn't sure.

Also, what do you find terrible about the w205 suspensions?
Exactly what was said... the weakest aspect of the C-Class (don't know about Airmatic) is ride quality.

I would NOT recommend this car for example, to my dad... who values excellent ride quality and damping.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
The problem here is weight. As cars get lighter, comfort gets harder to provide without handling going to the dogs.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Jinzen
Exactly what was said... the weakest aspect of the C-Class (don't know about Airmatic) is ride quality.

I would NOT recommend this car for example, to my dad... who values excellent ride quality and damping.
Wow. The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I couldn't understand what was said.

If you don't see how "The worst part of this car (C300) is how badly other cars I've been excel in comfort" could be confusing then you are right, it is probably best that you don't answer.

Also, to me "ride quality" can mean a lot of different things including precision and handling. I guess you mean that you want a more comfortable ride and I'll just leave it at that.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I spent nearly three weeks with a C300 Luxury and didn't find the handling bad at all. Even with the 17" tires, it felt solid to me at all times. I didn't notice any great difference compared to my base with 18" tires.

The odd thing is that, when I got back into my own C300, I did feel a difference ... my car felt lighter and more nimble. Nothing I can put my finger on, but the feel of the two cars was very different. Even my wife, who is anything but a "motor head," commented on this.

I would also agree that the W205, with any of the steel suspension variants, does not offer a particularly soft ride. That's fine with me, but anyone expecting a cushy ride from these cars will be disappointed. I can't comment on Airmatic, which I've never driven.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM

2015 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by StanNH
I spent nearly three weeks with a C300 Luxury and didn't find the handling bad at all. Even with the 17" tires, it felt solid to me at all times. I didn't notice any great difference compared to my base with 18" tires.

The odd thing is that, when I got back into my own C300, I did feel a difference ... my car felt lighter and more nimble. Nothing I can put my finger on, but the feel of the two cars was very different. Even my wife, who is anything but a "motor head," commented on this.

I would also agree that the W205, with any of the steel suspension variants, does not offer a particularly soft ride. That's fine with me, but anyone expecting a cushy ride from these cars will be disappointed. I can't comment on Airmatic, which I've never driven.
Yep, two totally different feeling cars if you get to drive them back to back!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I had a W205 Luxury with 17" wheels and steel suspension for about a week a month ago. It made me fall in love with the W205 (where I previously was not a fan at all). The ride is quite nice, albeit a bit firmer than I would have liked. My W204 rides like an oxcart, and it is part of the reason I want to replace it.

The handling of the W205 was decent given the mission. I noticed that it felt more unsettled if I entered a corner a bit too hot, and bobbed about a bit but kept its grip. It's hard to push the limits in my car, and it was easier in the W205 - but more than sufficient given the goal of the Lux.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC with Sport Package, Premium, Multimedia, Panorama Roof, Black Ash, & Blind Spot
Jinzen I'm confused you state:

"I had a day to test out a base "Sport" model. I own a Luxury C300 with standard steel suspension.

- tighter steering
- busier standard steel suspension"

But the Sport package has 18" tires. Do you mean the base model? Because I have the Sport Package and there is no way the Luxury would be slightly more comfortable as the Sport Package is terribly horribly harsh without Airmatic. You notice most posters on here who have a C300 Sport Package ordered Airmatic. Wish I did.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 AM

2015 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by bacardi73
Jinzen I'm confused you state:

"I had a day to test out a base "Sport" model. I own a Luxury C300 with standard steel suspension.

- tighter steering
- busier standard steel suspension"

But the Sport package has 18" tires. Do you mean the base model? Because I have the Sport Package and there is no way the Luxury would be slightly more comfortable as the Sport Package is terribly horribly harsh without Airmatic. You notice most posters on here who have a C300 Sport Package ordered Airmatic. Wish I did.
It's not the Sport Package, just the base model - which has the Sport Grille and other standard stuff, no AMG styling or wheels.