C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 Issues Normal? Covered by Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
W205 Issues Normal? Covered by Warranty?

So I'm considering getting my first luxury import with a W205 C300, which I'm all but falling in love with after test driving it. But I'm currently doing my homework in terms of reliability and I'm starting to hesitate. In particular I'm looking at the malfunction poll thread and find it very disappointing to see so many issues with the software, touchpad, and electrical system in general. Are these expected issues with German imports or is there something wrong with this current W205 build? Are these issues being covered by the warranties at no cost at the dealership or are you guys shelling out money to fix these things so soon after purchasing? I don't have a problem spending money for maintenance and upkeep, and I'm familiar & comfortable with the cost of owning an import vehicle, but I'm surprised to see so many issues cropping up with only a few hundred miles into ownership. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by rexneron; 02-16-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
5 year warranty in Norway.
As long as you follow the service intervals, the warranty will cover everything except parts that will be break down from normal wear and tear. For example brake pads.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by rexneron
So I'm considering getting my first luxury import with a W205 C300, which I'm all but falling in love with after test driving it. But I'm currently doing my homework in terms of reliability and I'm starting to hesitate. In particular I'm looking at the malfunction poll thread and find it very disappointing to see so many issues with the software, touchpad, and electrical system in general. Are these expected issues with German imports or is there something wrong with this current W205 build? Are these issues being covered by the warranties at no cost at the dealership or are you guys shelling out money to fix these things so soon after purchasing? I don't have a problem spending money for maintenance and upkeep, and I'm familiar & comfortable with the cost of owning an import vehicle, but I'm surprised to see so many issues cropping up with only a few hundred miles into ownership. Thanks for your help!
Every defect mentioned on the site should be covered by warranty. I have not seen anything to the contrary. It's a great car, he will love it if you get it.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Most of the issues you found here are the early manufacturing issues. So far, C that are built after Jan 2015 are relatively trouble free. Of course this could change quickly but so far so good.

Yes, they are all covered by warranty but not having the car mulitple times and putting more miles on a loaner than your new car gets old really quick.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I've had more trouble than most, but even I think some of the reports overstate the frequency of actual issues.

If you eliminate the two biggest concerns, MB-Tex bleeding and poor rear bumper fit, you have probably done away with a large percentage of the complaints. The MB-Tex issue does not concern any car built after January 5th, and the bumper alignment is easily adjusted by the dealer if it is not right.

The rest of the complaints are probably well within the range of average first year problems .... and even these have generally been minor.

For me, it's been a very frustrating ownership experience ... but the W205 is an exceptional vehicle and beautifully designed.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I would say that so far the car has not had many true warranty issues. The car's too new for those gremlins to show up yet...which is the intent of the warranty. We've mainly just seen build quality control issues and owners having no recourse but to have the car fixed (or finished being built depending how you look at it) under the 'warranty program' by the dealers.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
By design, the W205 is an excellent luxury car in it's size segment. You've read about challenges for North America starting up a new model, in a new plant for this program, with a new supply base in the U.S. MBUSA is likely making improvements as quickly as possible, but it is also typical for many changes to occur at model year changeover, sometimes because they can not be developed and verified any faster. Therefore, a cautious approach suggests you would be well-advised to have your order ready to go for 2016MY production in a few months. Order submission should likely be available in about 90 days for late June/early July production. Take the time to find a helpful dealer (one who does not pressure you to "buy today"!) and discuss your plan with them.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
By design, the W205 is an excellent luxury car in it's size segment. You've read about challenges for North America starting up a new model, in a new plant for this program, with a new supply base in the U.S. MBUSA is likely making improvements as quickly as possible, but it is also typical for many changes to occur at model year changeover, sometimes because they can not be developed and verified any faster. Therefore, a cautious approach suggests you would be well-advised to have your order ready to go for 2016MY production in a few months. Order submission should likely be available in about 90 days for late June/early July production. Take the time to find a helpful dealer (one who does not pressure you to "buy today"!) and discuss your plan with them.
Very valuable information, exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!