C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

new C300 with Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Hello,
Bought a 2015 C300 a couple of weeks ago. It has 38000 KM and is an early 2015 (or perhaps late 2014) production as it was first registered on February 2015.
I too noticed the specific noise described by other posters and described in the audio file that accompanies the MB technical bulletin. The Service manager at my dealership (Brampton, Ontario) did not seem to have had to deal with this issue before. I still have to wait a few days for a loaner to become available, and then I'll drop the car off so they can test it when the engine is cold in the morning.
There are a few other issues I noticed during my first week of driving the car: breaks, lower control arm dust protection (not sure how this passed certification), cabin noise from the moon roof, and a couple of other things). I'm hoping they will address them all.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 AM

2015 C300
Unhappy

Update on my previous post
No luck for me on getting the knocking noise fixed - they said it's normal, it's the characteristic of the car; if I'm not completely satisfied with my car (as they truly want me to be) I should trade it in and pick some other car. The service manager said those things looking me straight into my eyes.
Now, they did replace the timing belt and the tensioner and that did make things better as there is less overall noise coming from the engine in the morning. The knocking though is still there on the cold engine.
They did also replace the lower control arms (on both sides the dust protector rubber was ripped) as it was obvious this issues should have not passed certification.
They lubricated the sunroof seal all around and the noise coming from it is much more muffled now - I can still hear it though.
All in all, they did what they absolutely must have done, and stopped short on dealing with the expensive part (replacing the pistons and connection rods). Now I'm really curious if I would have gotten better service from Kia - as they pointed out to me several times when they sold me the car that "I would get Mercedes-Benz service; this is not a Kia".
I whish I knew how this works, who pays for this work? Why would a dealership be pushing back on something that is obvious and admitted by Mercedes-Benz (Xentry TIPS LI03.10-P-060916)? Is the dealer that sold the car partly responsible for the repair; do they have to pick up part of the repair bill?
I will enjoy the car for a while now and I'll try to get this issue fixed at another dealer in a couple of months. The good thing is that in the Toronto area there are about 10 MB dealerships, 4 of them within 30 minutes drive from where I leave.
Still love the car though; I just whish I could have been able to put this issue behind me...
Old 03-06-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
No, MB pays for the repairs. Dealers are advised to keep warranty repairs under a certain threshold though, and excessive warranty repairs compared to other dealers in your area can result in an audit to determine why you're higher, costing the dealership millions of dollars. So in general they try to avoid large repairs if they are unnecessary (like replacing $3k comand units for worn buttons)
The following users liked this post:
Adrian_MB_owner (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 MB C300 4MATIC (W205)
Originally Posted by Adrian_MB_owner
No luck for me on getting the knocking noise fixed - they said it's normal, it's the characteristic of the car; if I'm not completely satisfied with my car (as they truly want me to be) I should trade it in and pick some other car. The service manager said those things looking me straight into my eyes.
Now, they did replace the timing belt and the tensioner and that did make things better as there is less overall noise coming from the engine in the morning. The knocking though is still there on the cold engine.
They did also replace the lower control arms (on both sides the dust protector rubber was ripped) as it was obvious this issues should have not passed certification.
They lubricated the sunroof seal all around and the noise coming from it is much more muffled now - I can still hear it though.
All in all, they did what they absolutely must have done, and stopped short on dealing with the expensive part (replacing the pistons and connection rods). Now I'm really curious if I would have gotten better service from Kia - as they pointed out to me several times when they sold me the car that "I would get Mercedes-Benz service; this is not a Kia".
I whish I knew how this works, who pays for this work? Why would a dealership be pushing back on something that is obvious and admitted by Mercedes-Benz (Xentry TIPS LI03.10-P-060916)? Is the dealer that sold the car partly responsible for the repair; do they have to pick up part of the repair bill?
I will enjoy the car for a while now and I'll try to get this issue fixed at another dealer in a couple of months. The good thing is that in the Toronto area there are about 10 MB dealerships, 4 of them within 30 minutes drive from where I leave.
Still love the car though; I just whish I could have been able to put this issue behind me...
I would suggest you go to another dealer for the fix.
I just got mine fixed yesterday. Took them a month. (one week for parts to be arrived)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Isn't the Thornhill dealership close? It has a great reputation and is Canada's only mb owned one.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c class
Question, so my dealer did the rist pin rod and piston work to my 2015 C class sometime back. They had me bring the car in after the parts arrived. They had my car for three days. Most seem to describe the car being at the dealer much longer. Maybe in part because the dealer was waiting for parts. Does three days seem really quick for the level of work if they had the parts when they brought the car in?
Thanks

Last edited by Ironjim1; 03-07-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Ummm...just because you think it's the wrist pin issue does not mean that it is.
The injectors on all of these direct injection turbo engines are loud and make a clicking noise when running. This is totally normal and not a defect.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Former Member

CLS
Very true.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Ironjim1
Question, so my dealer did the rist pin rod and piston work to my 2015 C class sometime back. They had me bring the car in after the parts arrived. They had my car for three days. Most seem to describe the car being at the dealer much longer. Maybe in part because the dealer was waiting for parts. Does three days seem really quick for the level of work if they had the parts when they brought the car in?
Thanks
The job pays less than 20 hours in some cars, a skilled technician can do the job start to finish in 2 complete days. Don't worry, the old parts have to be returned for warranty, if they billed the parts out, they got put in your car.
Ironjim1 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by Ironjim1
Thanks
Mine was done in three too. I dropped it off on a Wed. night, they diagnosed and had the engine open by midday Thurs., and it was done Friday. They kept it over the weekend so the tech could put 100 miles on it to verify the repair. More importantly, the clicking sound disappeared and stayed that way.

Like your situation, they also had the parts in stock -- and the dealership has a tech dedicated totally to engines who apparently had time on his hands.
Ironjim1 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 PM

05 C230, 15 C300
Is this wrist pin issue a problem in other parts of the world or just in North America. It seems as though the M274 engine was used in Europe long before we got it in North America. I'm curious if they had the same issue. Also does anybody know for sure that this wrist pin issue is causing any damage to the engine or is the only problem the sound when the engine is cold.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Former Member

CLS
As I recall, it affected only a limited run of engines, but as to where they went....

Sum: it was a duff component, from a component manufacturer, notMercedes, so before and after, the component was not defective.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 PM

2015 C300 4Matic Sport with Airmatic Suspension
2015 C300 W205 Faulty Wrist Pins

Originally Posted by gfmohn
This is what my C300 sounded like. When the weather turned cold in early Nov., I heard it on starting cold for a few days. When the car warmed up, I no longer heard it. Then the weather turned warm again, and I didn't hear it at all. (My hearing is still very good.) Like yours, my C300 was delivered in early Feb. 2015. It has a little over 5000 miles.

When I took my C300 4MATIC into my dealer to see about several small items, the service foreman and I took the car out on the local expressway to check on wind noise. To the immense credit of my dealer, the foreman heard a faint rattle in the engine. I had heard it only when starting cold. The car had to have the PISTONS replaced! I lost the use of it from Nov. 12 until Dec. 8. (almost a month). The problem is actually a manufacturing defect in the wrist pins. If left unrepaired, it causes premature wear in the cylinder walls.

MASSC300 has found a reference to the MB tech bulletin for this, but the bulletin itself is behind various paywalls. The summary explains the problem. The bulletin is:
TSB #LI03-10P060916
NHTSA ID #10058545
Date Announced: JULY 01 2015
Summary: XENTRY (DAIMLER): DUE TO UNFAVORABLE TOLERANCE OF PISTON WRIST PIN, RESULTING IN KNOCKING, CLATTERING/RATTLING NOISES, CAUSING AN ENLARGE END FLOAT CONNECTING ROD IN PISTON, FROM CRANK ASSEMBLY OF ENGINE WHEN COLD.
When I picked up my car, I told the foreman that I was worried that the mechanic that worked on my car might lack experience on such a big job on such a new model. The foreman laughed and told me not to worry, that they had already repaired MANY examples of this problem! The dealer had had to wait ten days for parts, because they have to compete with cars on the assembly line for parts. MB suppliers cannot make them quickly enough! The foreman did not say whether MBUSA was replacing the wrist pins on new MBs before they are sold. (The defective parts are in engines made before April 20, 2015. [This is the correct information, as corrected on 01/03/05. See note below.])
[Note added 01-03-15: see the comment by deafcon at https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...il#post6612605. So that readers do not have go to deafcon's comment, here is the operative sentence, "Any M274 built at the Infiniti plant in Dechard before serial number ~43000, or built in Germany before roughly serial ~400000 could develop the problem. New wrist pins went into production engines starting April 20th.]

As of Nov. 12, I found two other owners reporting this in MBWorld. (They identified their problem as "wrist pins.") Now there are more. You mentioned two threads where similar problems are reported:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ine-noise.html (the present thread) and
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-startup.html

In addition to these two MBWorld threads, there are other reports at
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...your-w205.html and
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-rattling.html

In addition to the new, 2-liter I4 of the U.S. C300, the engines of following vehicles are also covered in this TSB. The models are: the 2015 Mercedes Benz C180, 2015 Mercedes Benz C200, 2015 Mercedes Benz C220, 2014 Mercedes Benz C250, 2015 Mercedes Benz C250, 2014 Mercedes Benz C300, and 2015 Mercedes Benz C400. I am puzzled why those engines share this defect. The engines of the 2014 Mercedes Benz C300 and the 2015 Mercedes Benz C400 are not new designs. Those models have the older, 3-liter V6 engine. I am not familiar with the engines of the other models.

I hope this does not become as big a problem for MB as The Dreaded Balance Shaft Gear problem that affected certain V6 and V8 engines into MY 2007. My previous 2007 C280 was part of that problem. However, I did not get notice that I was a member of the class-action lawsuit against MBUSA until after I had traded in the car on my current MB.
I took my 2015 C300 for the same issue, initially they said it is a normal sound however upon insisting, the shop foreman checked and confirmed that engine has a rattle and pistons need to be replaced.

It has been over a week since they have my car in the shop and the last time I went there I requested my service adviser to let me see my car. The adviser took me to the service bay and I saw that the technician took out the entire engine out of my car and was reassembling it. The adviser assured me that they stand by their work and they have done a bunch of them and none of them came back with any issues. Furthermore, the adviser assured that the car will be tested by the technician, the shop foreman and a Mercedes Benz engineer before delivery. They run a series of computerized tests along with a road test before signing off on the car.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Former Member

CLS
Dump it.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:31 PM

W205
I wish I could found this thread sooner. My car has 30k on the clock build date of 2/2015 and it's being dropped off Monday to the dealer. Can't wait to see what they have to say about it.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Former Member

CLS
Best of luck.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by H8onit
I wish I could found this thread sooner. My car has 30k on the clock build date of 2/2015 and it's being dropped off Monday to the dealer. Can't wait to see what they have to say about it.
They hopefully will find the problem and get it fixed. Do you have the window sticker for your car? Where was the engine built? Germany or USA.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM

W205
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
They hopefully will find the problem and get it fixed. Do you have the window sticker for your car? Where was the engine built? Germany or USA.
Both built in Germany
Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Both built in Germany
Interesting, latest c class 4 cylinders are coming from Dechard. Early models that had problems must have been German made.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
It was a certain run of parts, pistons and pins, that were affected. Very possible it was only at one plant but it all depends on which suppliers were sending what parts where at the time.

Benz knows EXACTLY which ones are affected, that's why there's engine serial # ranges in the bulletin. They know when it was caught and corrected, and anything up to that point is suspect and open to replacement for the noise concern.
dieseldoc (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Angry Vaunted German engineering

Both built in Germany
Glad to hear you confirm that German engines really are involved. I had been saying just that, based on what I recalled from some other comments. However, I couldn't locate those comments, and so, I was not certain. This ought to drive a stake through the heart of snide comments about alleged problems with the quality of American assembly.

I also regard the so-called assembly problems of rear quarter trim, wind noise, and most of the other MY 2015 problems as being design problems. For example, body parts should be designed to "click" into place (perhaps with the help of jigs) with no call for judgment (and possibility of error) on the part of the assemblers.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gfmohn
Glad to hear you confirm that German engines really are involved. I had been saying just that, based on what I recalled from some other comments. However, I couldn't locate those comments, and so, I was not certain. This ought to drive a stake through the heart of snide comments about alleged problems with the quality of American assembly.

I also regard the so-called assembly problems of rear quarter trim, wind noise, and most of the other MY 2015 problems as being design problems. For example, body parts should be designed to "click" into place (perhaps with the help of jigs) with no call for judgment (and possibility of error) on the part of the assemblers.
I agree with you. I do not think we can blame where the car is made. I have driven W205s made in 2015 that have been built in Alabama as well as in South Africa. They are no different. The last loaner I had was a 2017 W205 made in SA. The engine was made in Dechard and ran very well. The engine seemed no different than the engine in my GLC. I also have owned a GL that I had for 8 years. The trucks major issue was not how it was assembled but issues with German built Diesel engine.

Last edited by dieseldoc; 06-16-2017 at 10:49 PM.
gfmohn (06-16-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I agree with you. I do not think we can blame where the car is made. I have driven W205s made in 2015 that have been built in Alabama as well as in South Africa. They are no different. The last loaner I had was a 2017 W205 made in SA. The engine was made in Dechard and ran very well. The engine seemed no different than the engine in my GLC. I also have owned a GL that I had for 8 years. The trucks major issue was not how it was assembled but issues with German built Diesel engine.
100% agree.
Design and quality of parts are issues, not assembly location.
Unless they now have humans assembling these things again, versus robot.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Took mine in for rattling, dealer said they used stethoscope to determine that it was a faulty high pressure fuel pump, which they replaced.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Mine is making a strange slurping sound..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: new C300 with Engine noise