C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
I’m currently still in the break in period, have 250 miles on the car now..only five days of driving. Should probably put another 350 on the car before next week.

The car is just lovely. Lovely to drive, lovely to fiddle with the tech, lovely to start, etc. I waited a bit too long before getting a new car and realize now that I need to shorten my cycles a bit. Lifes too short not to enjoy things like driving. If that’s ONE of your things. ;-)

I’ve had a few things occur that I am trying to sort out, some with the tech and some with the car.

But, the big question I have for others who are in or hopefully, BEYOND the break in period is

Do you have any sort of rough transmission experience in S+, when accelerating but then decelerating somewhat quickly?

I haven’t actually pushed the car at all, but I have used S+ sometimes to vary the revs with the engine at similar speeds in order to have the engine exercise at different outputs levels but at the same speeds. Either on city streets, or on the highway. Easy way to cycle through gears or revs and let both the engine and the transmission settle in with a wider range or effort.

What I have encountered sometimes when coming from a standstill (at a stoplight say) in S+ and accelerating away I of course find myself going TOO fast 45 in a 35 say, and then tap the break a bit which apparently leads to a 1 or 2 gear rapid downshift and this is where there is a THUNK or a rough downshift, almost like driving over a big bump or pothole. I THINK it’s an aggressive transmission downshifting rapidly which really decelerates the car, and this might just be a speed range and shift ratio where the move is more apparent. OR, it could be an issue that I don’t yet know about as I’m not really able to try and repeat it while letting the car break in…

Anyone notice anything like that, or is there anything one can do to TEST things out? Or, best just to let it settle, break in as usual and IF it persists say after the 1000 miles of break in then start dealing with it?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A5 Sportback V6 Petrol
Originally Posted by tivoboy
I'm more interested to know if the C43 (and possibly this model) would get one into the AMG owners club, and access to the track days, AMG driving events and other AMG owner specific opportunities. I've been to many of them and they are a lot of fun.
I've seen few months back a communication on Facebook by AMG group explaining that AMG sport owners will have their own lounge with similar stuff than the AMG lounge. Didn't hear anything since then but we can keep hoping...
On dealership side at least here in France, AMG sport buyers have the same advantages in terms of events, invites etc... At least that's what the dealer told me.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:04 PM

2016 C450
I’m currently still in the break in period, have 250 miles on the car now..only five days of driving. Should probably put another 350 on the car before next week.

The car is just lovely. Lovely to drive, lovely to fiddle with the tech, lovely to start, etc. I waited a bit too long before getting a new car and realize now that I need to shorten my cycles a bit. Lifes too short not to enjoy things like driving. If that’s ONE of your things. ;-)

I’ve had a few things occur that I am trying to sort out, some with the tech and some with the car.

But, the big question I have for others who are in or hopefully, BEYOND the break in period is

Do you have any sort of rough transmission experience in S+, when accelerating but then decelerating somewhat quickly?

I haven’t actually pushed the car at all, but I have used S+ sometimes to vary the revs with the engine at similar speeds in order to have the engine exercise at different outputs levels but at the same speeds. Either on city streets, or on the highway. Easy way to cycle through gears or revs and let both the engine and the transmission settle in with a wider range or effort.

What I have encountered sometimes when coming from a standstill (at a stoplight say) in S+ and accelerating away I of course find myself going TOO fast 45 in a 35 say, and then tap the break a bit which apparently leads to a 1 or 2 gear rapid downshift and this is where there is a THUNK or a rough downshift, almost like driving over a big bump or pothole. I THINK it’s an aggressive transmission downshifting rapidly which really decelerates the car, and this might just be a speed range and shift ratio where the move is more apparent. OR, it could be an issue that I don’t yet know about as I’m not really able to try and repeat it while letting the car break in…

Anyone notice anything like that, or is there anything one can do to TEST things out? Or, best just to let it settle, break in as usual and IF it persists say after the 1000 miles of break in then start dealing with it?

according to the manual, you are supposed to avoid rapid downshifts as you described during breakin. I drove in comfort for about 600 miles then adjusted accordingly. I think the manual said eco mode though.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C450 break AMG Sport
Breaking in, what is that?
Over 3 weeks i will pick up my C450. From start i will push the throttle, but only after the engine has the right temperature. Breaking is not necessary. Never done it, and never had problems with my cars. My current BMW 530 diesel has 110k miles, and without any engine problems.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG C63S, Lamborghini Gallardo, 2016, A-class 180
Originally Posted by BMWMB71
Over 3 weeks i will pick up my C450. From start i will push the throttle, but only after the engine has the right temperature. Breaking is not necessary. Never done it, and never had problems with my cars. My current BMW 530 diesel has 110k miles, and without any engine problems.
Glad to hear you have not had any issues. Only proves that BMW builds great engines Nothing else. However i am guessing your Beemer didnt have 2 turbos and working so closely to the edge right?. I would not take this guys word for anything. New engines need time to run in. Period!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by willywonka
according to the manual, you are supposed to avoid rapid downshifts as you described during breakin. I drove in comfort for about 600 miles then adjusted accordingly. I think the manual said eco mode though.
indeed, it really was un-intentional though, didn't mean to get going so fast so fast and decided to de-celerate and then had this experience. Ill continue to monitor and ride in C.. E seems pretty silly IMHO.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zand3rs
Glad to hear you have not had any issues. Only proves that BMW builds great engines Nothing else. However i am guessing your Beemer didnt have 2 turbos and working so closely to the edge right?. I would not take this guys word for anything. New engines need time to run in. Period!
I do think it's also the transmission that takes some settlin' in as well
Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E63S: Former cars 2016 C450, 2013 C350, 2009 C300
Meisterschaft and Detroit auto show

This Saturday I will leave the Louisiana and head to Detroit to check out the Detroit auto show and then to Chicago to drop my car of at miesterchraft for a turbo back exhaust system to be installed on the c450 if anyone is in the area please reach out so that we can meet up.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The Infamous C450
^Have a good trip, look forward to the exhaust review.

I’m currently still in the break in period, have 250 miles on the car now..only five days of driving. Should probably put another 350 lovely. Lovely to drive, lovely to fiddle with the tech, lovely to start, etc. I

I'm at 612 and have flirted with S+ a couple times but still haven't pushed it. I still noticed a bit of jerkiness during shifting but as everybody else has claimed that it feels much better after 1K, I'm not too worried. I am curious to know what it is to actually stop the jerky shifts because I highly doubt the car just knows that it's reached 1K and now it's time to go smooth.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:57 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by BMWMB71
Sorry, I tend to trust what MB tells me over what your experience tells you. When its my money, Ill obey the Break-in Period as recommended directly from the manufacturer. Guys, I would suggest you do the same...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 AM

BMW 330i E92 (currently) C450 AMG (very soon)
God news, bad news, I don't know !
Car dealer called me today, the car has just arrived! 2 months ahead of schedule! Shall I take it now (winter has just started here in Belgium), shall I postpone a few weeks, if I postpone will it be well kept (inside)?

I remember the guy explained the production start date was scheduled on December the 23rd but with the transportation (from South Africa to Germany and then to Belgium), an additional 2 months was needed! I don't understand how a gap of 2 months can happen in car manufacturing/transport !
Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vinny007

I remember the guy explained the production start date was scheduled on December the 23rd but with the transportation (from South Africa to Germany and then to Belgium), an additional 2 months was needed! I don't understand how a gap of 2 months can happen in car manufacturing/transport !
most likely hitting a ship prior to the one they expected to hit. Ships probably go monthly or every 4-6 weeks that they schedule space on.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM

Thanks tivoboy, sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Car dealer called me today, the car has just arrived! 2 months ahead of schedule! Shall I take it now (winter has just started here in Belgium), shall I postpone a few weeks, if I postpone will it be well kept (inside)?

Maybe your first word did have something to do with it! God wanted you to have your car sooner! That said, if you really want your car to be stored inside, get it and keep it inside your garage until you're ready to drive it. This is the absolutely most sure way to ensure the car is taken care of to your expectation.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:25 PM

A5 Sportback V6 Petrol

Why South Africa ??
I'm surprised you are still thinkimg if you take it or not... When I knew mine was ready I shortened my stay aboard and came back for it. It is may be passion speaking for me...

I have a question for you since you're based in Europe like me.
When you get your car can you check if like me and unlike US owners:

- you have normal tires non run flat
- you don't have remote start in the remote online functions.

Thx
Old 01-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Car dealer told me the car was built in South Africa and shipped to Germany before being delivered in Belgium. Seems strange but that's what he said!

The reasons I am not rushing to get it (although I am waiting for it since 4 months already): winter, (better) synchronization with the sale of current car (to avoid overlapping of insurance and renting). Will probably end up somewhere between passion and reason, ie delivery mid feb !

I will have normal (summer) tyres (non run flat), I specifically ordered them with the B51 kit anti crevaison "tirefit" (there were 3 options: summer tyres, winter tyres, runflats)

Will check remote start!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:34 PM

Car dealer told me the car was built in South Africa and shipped to Germany before being delivered in Belgium. Seems strange but that's what he said!

The reasons I am not rushing to get it (although I am waiting for it since 4 months already): winter, (better) synchronization with the sale of current car (to avoid overlapping of insurance and renting). Will probably end up somewhere between passion and reason, ie delivery mid feb !

I will have normal (summer) tyres (non run flat), I specifically ordered them with the B51 kit anti crevaison "tirefit" (there were 3 options: summer tyres, winter tyres, runflats)

Will check remote start!
there is a production facility in East London, SA but it used to be just a kitting facility. Maybe they have moved up the food chain to being a full manufacturing facility but honestly, I would think that European deliveries would still be produced at the Bremen factory where the C has been made for years. Sadly, I would think the Europeans (at least the Germans) would demand it.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLA45
What engine is in the C450 AMG Sport?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jupiter Red
What engine is in the C450 AMG Sport?
3.0L/362-hp/384-lb-ft twin-turbo DOHC 24-valve V-6
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 AM

2016 C450
I just picked up my Obsidian black C450 loaded and I guess I was expecting the door handles to match the body color but they came Chrome? Did I miss something do some colours or packages change this? It's a Canadian car and the night package was not an option but it doesn't look to affect door handles though.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:05 AM

None
Originally Posted by Pponu666
I just picked up my Obsidian black C450 loaded and I guess I was expecting the door handles to match the body color but they came Chrome? Did I miss something do some colours or packages change this? It's a Canadian car and the night package was not an option but it doesn't look to affect door handles though.
Comfort access will have chrome door handles.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:34 PM

Audi & BMW thinkin abt MB
Has anyone here tried the standard seat vs the AMG seat? I like the look of the AMG one better but I'm not sure if I will lose any options selecting it.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSander
Has anyone here tried the standard seat vs the AMG seat? I like the look of the AMG one better but I'm not sure if I will lose any options selecting it.

Thanks
Oh I definitely went with the "standard" performance seat and not the funky AMG performance seats.. I tried those seats, they were NOT comfortable. The standard perf seat has nice bolster, nice support, great firmness and adjustability.. makes for a nice longer trip driver.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:17 PM

A5 Sportback V6 Petrol
Strange Vinny this build in SA. Mine was built in Germany with the normal workflow. I had no option for tires. It is a lottery you get the tires they decide. I had by default the kit anti crevaison which comes only with non runfllats. Tires I got are Dunlop sport maxx.
I spoke to the technicians today. The remote online doesn't have remote start here. Anyone who can send me a screenshot of remote start please share.
Another small bad news: inbuilt wifi doesn't wotrk here in France. The norm is not the same as in Germany and it seems this is the reason why. I don't care too much as I use the shared connectivity from iPhone through Bluetooth. But I will shout with dealership as this is sold as a default option !!

Regarding seats I still have a small adaptation issue. I still didn't find a comfortable position with the normal leather seats. I feel like bounce forward whatever the setting i do for the various seat parts... Already seen such a comment somewhere but for sure it is due to the fact that I'm used to Audi where the seats position is great in a cockpit mode.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG // 2015 ML550 // 2014 911 Carrera 4
Originally Posted by BlueSander

Thanks
I went with the AMG performance seats and I couldn't be happier. But, it is true that they are really not comfortable if you are a little on the plus size... A friend of mine couldn't even sit in them and he is around 220 pounds and 5'10".

If you are in shape, then go with the AMG ones. You won't regret it! Oh, and you don't lose any options - to the contrary. You will have to upgrade to premium leather package on top of the AMG performace option...so you will end up with the really nice and smooth leather in your car.

Last edited by LogicDSS; 01-15-2016 at 05:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.