C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 AMG
Sorry for the delay in responding. There is kind of a crackle, but not like stock. YXC145 suggested I put the plug in which bypasses the piggyback for a few days. After those few days, I put the piggyback back to full power mode, which worked a little bit. It went from no crackle to about 50% of stock. By 50% I mean how many pops, not the volume. Usually I get two quick pops and that's it.

I've had it on and off a couple of times and while the change isn't dramatic, i like it better with the piggyback installed.

Last edited by GoDawgs; 02-05-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 AMG
This may be a stupid question but why don't OE and AMR allow their dealers to do the tuning? APR does this for VW/Audi/Porsche. Pretty much every major city in the country has a place where you can drive in and 45 minutes later drive out with the APR tune. It seems odd that OE and AMR won't allow their software be installed by the dealers that sell their other products. I'm sure there is a reason they made this decision but it doesn't make sense in today's world of technology. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

I guess I'm just frustrated that VW's have this option, BMW will even tune your car at the dealership, and for an MB we have to put our engine computers in the mail.

Oh, I guess now I have a second question. Would anyone else get this tune if you didn't have to remove and ship the ECU (and be without your car for a few days)? I would do it tomorrow.

Last edited by GoDawgs; 02-05-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by GoDawgs

Oh, I guess now I have a second question. Would anyone else get this tune if you didn't have to remove and ship the ECU (and be without your car for a few days)? I would do it tomorrow.
Yes that would make things a lot easier, but the only way I'd opt for a performance ECU reflash would be if manufacturers warranty is not affected (or the warranty transfers to an equivalent warranty), that and I don't lose the exhaust crackle.

Until then I'm holding out for a piggy-back tune from Dinan for my C450.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Renntech you can get through Mercedes Benz dealer around here.. it's expensive but keeps the warranty intact
Old 02-05-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Gungaslow

Renntech you can get through Mercedes Benz dealer around here.. it's expensive but keeps the warranty intact
$2,400 for not even a 40 hp gain...no thanks.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by MASSC450
$2,400 for not even a 40 hp gain...no thanks.
well... we all paid around $150-$160 / HP new, and this is a lot less than that.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by MASSC450
My feelings exactly. I just don't hear much buzz about the $379 Burger piggy-back for the C450.

I'm holding out hope a Dinan piggy-back comes out for the C450 in 2017. I've already asked Dinan twice about any progress on the C450, and the last response I received was they were still looking for a test vehicle out there on the west coast.
I have been in talks with Dinan for three months trying to schedule time to drop off my car with them. Thier lead tech was on vacation for about a month but is back now and we are just working out the specifics. My last email to them was making sure they had a AWD dyno to work with the car as well as the ability to flash my ESS tuned ECU back to stock to develop the piggyback. Will keep you posted
Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
thanks Bret- see what they come back with. Its possible they need a stock car to test on and not something with a tune already on it?. im only throwing a dart here, but seeing as I would think they want stock numbers to base their stuff from , perhaps this is a stumbling block?>. hopefully not
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
This engine will only get more popular, across several models, so....
Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by CFG
This engine will only get more popular, across several models, so....
Not sure about that. There's lots of buzz about Mercedes replacing this engine with the new straight
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I can't seem to find the article right now, but last week I was reading about the new E50 AMG. There was a tech write up about the new engine, an i6 with electric compressors. Behold the future of forced induction!
There are very cool happenings in the anti lag turbo tech right now. Volvo was using a tank with compressed air to spool the turbo off boost, then they went the VW route with twin chargers (small belt driven supercharger that decouples when the turbo gets going). Ferrari actually uses a separate fuel tank filled with Grappa to make a seemless transition of power. High octane stuff!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Because the car always starts in that mode, some mornings when going to work I'm too tired to care about sport +. That is, until I need power. Then I put my foot down and it feels like the C300. Even with the pedal mostly to the floor it just won't bring the power. So weak it drives me nuts.
Interesting - my car is nothing like that - I find it responds just fine in Comfort - just more aggressively in Sport+, obviously. Maybe something not quite right in your stock ECU setup?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by subzero05
thanks Bret- see what they come back with. Its possible they need a stock car to test on and not something with a tune already on it?. im only throwing a dart here, but seeing as I would think they want stock numbers to base their stuff from , perhaps this is a stumbling block?>. hopefully not
Unfortunately, yes, this does seem to be a stumbling point for them. I do not think they have the ability to flash my ecu back to stock but their lead tech and I have been going back and forth with ideas....So, hopefully we will have a solution to the problem today and then I will drop my car off this weekend. They said it will take about a week to develop the dinan piggy back .
The following users liked this post:
MASSC450 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
ah makes sense. They probably only have flash software tools etc for BMW applications and not our cars. Plus, since its another company's tune , they probably don't want to mess with something they aren't sure about.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by bretpfair

Unfortunately, yes, this does seem to be a stumbling point for them. I do not think they have the ability to flash my ecu back to stock but their lead tech and I have been going back and forth with ideas....So, hopefully we will have a solution to the problem today and then I will drop my car off this weekend. They said it will take about a week to develop the Dinan piggy back .
Thank you for trying though!

Old 04-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
i think it would look good with either the 4matic OR AMG badge on the right, but the badge in the middle is way excessive... too much imo.

but whatever floats your boat.. to each their own.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
This may be a stupid question but why don't OE and AMR allow their dealers to do the tuning? APR does this for VW/Audi/Porsche. Pretty much every major city in the country has a place where you can drive in and 45 minutes later drive out with the APR tune. It seems odd that OE and AMR won't allow their software be installed by the dealers that sell their other products. I'm sure there is a reason they made this decision but it doesn't make sense in today's world of technology. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

I guess I'm just frustrated that VW's have this option, BMW will even tune your car at the dealership, and for an MB we have to put our engine computers in the mail.

This is because Mercedes is a more complex vehicle than VW/Audi. APR just takes a file with the matching box code and flashes through the obdII port. Literally anyone can do it, which is why they have dealers everywhere. A Mercedes cannot be programmed through the port, which means only someone that knows what they are doing and has proper tools (that cost alot of money) can program these ECUs. As far as avoiding a tune because of ECU removal is not really valid because the 450/43 ecu takes literally two minutes to remove and reinstall. I am not mechanically inclined at all, but when I chose to get AMR tuned, they sent me a step by step removal guide. My car was only down for two days and I am loving the upgrade. In my opinion it is fully worth it!
Old 04-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by getmercd
This is because Mercedes is a more complex vehicle than VW/Audi. APR just takes a file with the matching box code and flashes through the obdII port. Literally anyone can do it, which is why they have dealers everywhere. A Mercedes cannot be programmed through the port, which means only someone that knows what they are doing and has proper tools (that cost alot of money) can program these ECUs. As far as avoiding a tune because of ECU removal is not really valid because the 450/43 ecu takes literally two minutes to remove and reinstall. I am not mechanically inclined at all, but when I chose to get AMR tuned, they sent me a step by step removal guide. My car was only down for two days and I am loving the upgrade. In my opinion it is fully worth it!
Hmm...thanks for the explanation, getmercd; I was wondering the same thing as that ole Bulldog was. (Hunker down you hairy, Dawg!)

Not to mention, when I've gone to the APR website to see what type of gains they would give to the old 4.2 NA V-8 in the S5/RS5s - and other engines in other vehicles, for that matter, it didn't seem like you got alot of extra HP. Prices weren't too bad and the convenience of finding a dealer to do the APR stuff was nice, but I was thinking"I can do that for about the same with the three, usual, and basic aftermarket mods.....a hi-flow air filter and cold air intake from K&N or someone else, plus a Borla or Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler upgrade."

Oh, and how're you diggin that C43 Coupe? Looks pretty damn sweet from what I can see. Classic Merc coupe, even with the b-pillar.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by BRBM
Hmm...thanks for the explanation, getmercd; I was wondering the same thing as that ole Bulldog was. (Hunker down you hairy, Dawg!)

Not to mention, when I've gone to the APR website to see what type of gains they would give to the old 4.2 NA V-8 in the S5/RS5s - and other engines in other vehicles, for that matter, it didn't seem like you got alot of extra HP. Prices weren't too bad and the convenience of finding a dealer to do the APR stuff was nice, but I was thinking"I can do that for about the same with the three, usual, and basic aftermarket mods.....a hi-flow air filter and cold air intake from K&N or someone else, plus a Borla or Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler upgrade."

Oh, and how're you diggin that C43 Coupe? Looks pretty damn sweet from what I can see. Classic Merc coupe, even with the b-pillar.

Thank you sir! It is nice, but the software upgrade really livened it up. I wish the C43 came like this from the factory lol it is so much fun now!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 AM

2016 C450
Thank you sir! It is nice, but the software upgrade really livened it up. I wish the C43 came like this from the factory lol it is so much fun now!
You're welcome...and thank you for the quick reply. Just did some research on that AMR tune of yours, and not only am I wondering if I should forget about a future RennTECH tune for a smidge more of my hard-earned cash, can see why they don't come from the factory tuned as you suggested.

With that AMG-tuned 4matic of ours, you'd kickin off in the C63S boys' ***.....which may draw me some fire, especially as a former W204 C63 owner. (Aaaaand? I gives a damn; it's true, 63 boys. Don't get all uppity.)

Not to mention, they'd have to retune the 63s to the upcoming C63R's power levels to assuage their hurt feelings.

Anyway, enjoy! (Needless to say) I mean, I love driving the 450 every day, but I suspect uou get more the insane C63 "it is so f---ing on" rumble and feeling that got every time you crank up your 43. And thankfully, unlike the 63s, that 4matic will keep you and your loved ones out of a ditch to run it hard another day.

Ciao, my brother.
The following users liked this post:
getmercd (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by BRBM
You're welcome...and thank you for the quick reply. Just did some research on that AMR tune of yours, and not only am I wondering if I should forget about a future RennTECH tune for a smidge more of my hard-earned cash, can see why they don't come from the factory tuned as you suggested.

With that AMG-tuned 4matic of ours, you'd kickin off in the C63S boys' ***.....which may draw me some fire, especially as a former W204 C63 owner. (Aaaaand? I gives a damn; it's true, 63 boys. Don't get all uppity.)

Not to mention, they'd have to retune the 63s to the upcoming C63R's power levels to assuage their hurt feelings.

Anyway, enjoy! (Needless to say) I mean, I love driving the 450 every day, but I suspect uou get more the insane C63 "it is so f---ing on" rumble and feeling that got every time you crank up your 43. And thankfully, unlike the 63s, that 4matic will keep you and your loved ones out of a ditch to run it hard another day.

Ciao, my brother.

Oh I have done some damage to the egos of stock 63 owners already lol and it is worth it for sure. I daily drive mine and it functions as sound as factory, but with that extra kick when I need it! You are correct as the 4matic is always there to save the day when I get a little wild hahah good luck with whatever you end up doing to your car and safe travels
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM

2016 C450
Oh I have done some damage to the egos of stock 63 owners already lol and it is worth it for sure. I daily drive mine and it functions as sound as factory, but with that extra kick when I need it! You are correct as the 4matic is always there to save the day when I get a little wild hahah good luck with whatever you end up doing to your car and safe travels
'Preciate it, man.........we might not be 'full on' AMGs in truest "One Man, One Engine" kind of way, but they should know. Don't get it twisted. For a relatively low cost upgraded compared to actually paying the extra premium for the 63 cache', Don't start none, won't BE none. My boy Getmercd might have to whip dat ***. That is so funny.

Nuff said.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Overheard in Vance, ALABAMA: one man, one pig.
Attached Thumbnails C450 AMG Sport discussion only.-img_1207.png  
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Have yet to see one on the road believe it or not, but I need to find a w205 c63(s) and run it.

I know they can do just as simple of mods and hit ~600hp/700tq but I want to run a stock one just to show those pretentious "One man one engine" ***** that their car's aren't **** in all relativity...
Old 04-13-2017, 06:58 AM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Have yet to see one on the road believe it or not, but I need to find a w205 c63(s) and run it.

I know they can do just as simple of mods and hit ~600hp/700tq but I want to run a stock one just to show those pretentious "One man one engine" ***** that their car's aren't **** in all relativity...
Well good luck, i.e., hope you find one in your travels, Sean. 'Cause from what I can see, not only do you appear to have the stones to do it with that Stage 2 and the downpipes + our 4matic, may well be able to bust up a more than stock 63 or 63S. MmmHm. I can see it happening. SSSeeyah!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.