C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Door open warning finally seen.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Door open warning finally seen.

This is a bit odd, in that with the two C300's I've owned, I have never gotten an "open door" or "door ajar" warning. All I've ever seen was that cryptic message about putting the transmission into Park ... and then it's up to you to figure out what's wrong. I always found it baffling that such a basic safety warning was missing.

The other day, as I was driving off, the car beeped three times and an open door graphic appeared on the instrument cluster showing the left rear door was open. I stopped the car and checked ... and sure enough, the left rear door wasn't fully closed. Now I don't know if the rear doors always threw a warning, or if this something new. In the past, the transmission message always was caused by a front door not being fully closed.

I haven't had a chance to check the front doors to see if they're the same yet, but seeing that open door graphic was a first for me. Did the rear doors always generate the "open door" warnings?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
Its all about prioritizing which message should be displayed to the driver.
If front door is open, it is important to tell the driver that the car is not in Park, in case the driver is stepping out. If it was the other way around people would complain about car not warning them of "Transmission is not in Park".
if any other door except the driver door is open, then it is OK to display the message of the open door.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by megaoctane
Its all about prioritizing which message should be displayed to the driver.
If front door is open, it is important to tell the driver that the car is not in Park, in case the driver is stepping out. If it was the other way around people would complain about car not warning them of "Transmission is not in Park".
if any other door except the driver door is open, then it is OK to display the message of the open door.
That makes sense, in a Benzian sort of way. I still think it would be more helpful to just tell you that your door isn't closed properly.

Will it give the "door open" warning for the front passenger's side door? If it does, then there is some logic to only the driver getting the "Put the car in Park, you moron" message.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:49 AM

yes front passenger door open message is also shown. these messages only show if you start driving in more than 20-30km/h and if you slow down to a halt the message disappears as it expect the driver is stopping to fix the issue.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes front passenger door open message is also shown. these messages only show if you start driving in more than 20-30km/h and if you slow down to a halt the message disappears as it expect the driver is stopping to fix the issue.
Thank you for that explanation. The way this is done with this car has always been a mystery to me ... it's quite different than most other cars.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
Yes, it is different than other cars I have owned too, but I am glad to see the warnings are there. I was disappointed when I read other posts that said this car had no door open alerts or indicators. I found that hard to believe. These are odd in that they don't alert until you start moving. I'd rather know before I was moving. I poked around under the hood this morning and then backed out of the garage and got a hood open warning. Nice to see. Although it was closed, one of the fasteners was not completely engaged. I had to stop and push on one side of the hood. Better if it told me right away. Benz logic??
Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 AM

if you aren't moving your car, just starting it for what ever reason (new buyer or mechanic wants to listen for noise/sound from engine etc) it would be counterproductive to have a warning sign plus sound come up and hide any menus you were working in. When you start to move the car, then it is essential to let the driver know.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 253
hi
These medsages can be show at 0 km/ h?