C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 Aftermarket Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C400
C400 Aftermarket Backup Camera

Hey all,

Just joined the forum today as I think I'm about to buy a 2015 C400. I found some great deals on new cars, but unfortunately, all of them come without the Multimedia package, and I'm 99% sure that means they all have no backup cameras. I think I can live without the rest of the multimedia package, but does anyone know if an aftermarket backup cam can be installed to work with the existing touchscreen? I found
this one this one
, but I'm not convinced it will work with the existing system. The Mercedes Service department said they don't do backup camera installs after cars are built.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
No need for multimedia package

You do not need the multimedia package to get a rear view camera. It is available by itself. Have whoever you are working with search for a car without the multimedia package but with the rear view camera. It would be much better than any aftermarket camera.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
OEM rear view camera is available even for the Audio 20 option.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:29 PM

C300 4Matic
Hmmm, I am thinking of calling an aftermarket shop in Toronto for an installation. If I can convince him to invoice my Buffalo address and save the HST of 15% then pay in Canadian at 23% off, maybe we can work a deal. The Korean aftermarket camera's are available generally and they function exactly the same as the Benz product. Google is your friend.....http://www.navitechus.com/
Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Doug,

Why not get the products directly from Korea? That's what I did for my install described here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...y-install.html

I looked into Navitech. They even have a folding camera similar to the OEM camera. However, I could not find a website that sells their product so they may be selling through installers only. The only thing I could find was this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FP22B-AUTOMA...-/161701833526
Old 10-29-2015, 11:33 AM

C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by Doug Robinson
Hmmm, I am thinking of calling an aftermarket shop in Toronto for an installation. If I can convince him to invoice my Buffalo address and save the HST of 15% then pay in Canadian at 23% off, maybe we can work a deal. The Korean aftermarket camera's are available generally and they function exactly the same as the Benz product. Google is your friend.....http://www.navitechus.com/
Collecting tax is not at the discretion of the installer. Furthermore the program that administered sales tax refunds to US visitors for purchases made while in Canada are longer given with the exception if you bought a tour package from a Canadian operator.

HST in Ontario is 13% not 15%.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
Originally Posted by NovaOne
Doug,

Why not get the products directly from Korea? That's what I did for my install described here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...y-install.html

I looked into Navitech. They even have a folding camera similar to the OEM camera. However, I could not find a website that sells their product so they may be selling through installers only. The only thing I could find was this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FP22B-AUTOMA...-/161701833526

NovaOne, what made you go with the camera you installed, instead of the closer-to-OEM one in that Ebay listing? Looks like the one on Ebay is twice as expensive, but were there any other factors? I'm trying to figure out if I can install a camera now and then return the car to original spec upon lease turn-in. That Ebay one looks like the safest option, short of a wireless camera with a separate screen.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:55 PM

2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by sadpanda
NovaOne, what made you go with the camera you installed, instead of the closer-to-OEM one in that Ebay listing? Looks like the one on Ebay is twice as expensive, but were there any other factors? I'm trying to figure out if I can install a camera now and then return the car to original spec upon lease turn-in. That Ebay one looks like the safest option, short of a wireless camera with a separate screen.
I went with that camera because it was the one sold with the HD Link interface box I was installing. And I bought the HD Link interface box because the company selling it provided a lot of information about it on the web, and I was able to find a professional looking web site to buy it from. Coincidentally, I realized through some research that HD Link is also re-branded and sold under some of the other brands.

Navitech is likely a good quality company as well. Looking at their products, it seems to be well made and they have many custom pieces that require costly molds to produce. But their product information was incomplete, with their website very messy. Some of the stuff had a lot of good info, others just show a picture and a few specifications. It looks like a solid engineering company that has poor sense of sales service and support. Also, I just could not find any place to buy them, or even get an indication on price. This one eBay listing was just not enough.

In retrospect, I like the simplicity of the installation of the K2000 camera, requiring just one hole to drill. I would need to disassemble the trim pieces to install the Navitech camera. I am a bit weary of the mechanical parts of the Navitech camera, not sure if it will be reliable.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
That makes a lot of sense. The Navitech information really is pretty poor-quality. I couldn't find a decent install guide, despite their claim to offer one on their website.

I did put my German skills to use and was able to find a quote from a German dealer for an OEM camera install that was posted on motor-talk.de. The total quote ran to EUR 2,007 before taxes. That includes EUR 1,250 for labor, and the following major parts:

2229052206, Rear Camera, $484 (mbonlineparts.com)
2227500893, Release handle w/rear camera, $131.20
2229000905, Control Unit, $132 (not sure if this is correct part for U.S. cars)
2055454840 - Electrical Wiring Harness, $62.40 (also not sure if correct for US)
Add another $100 for small bits.

I'm not sure if this option requires the Multimedia package.

Given the choice between that and either the HD Link or the Navitech option, it's hard to argue with NovaOne's solution.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016, MB C220 AMG S205 4Matic
As Vic said the OEM camera does not need anything, it works with basic Audio 20 system as well. I've had several cars with back-up camera. And this system is on top of the range with some of the VW cameras. Due to the simple fact, its hidden when it isn't used. It only pops out when in reverse. That way, the camera is always clean and crisp.

Cause the other solutions that aren't hidden and exposed to the road and weather conditions every day. They get dirty pretty fast, esp when its raining.

Just my opinion..
Old 10-30-2015, 09:01 AM

2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by IstvanC
As Vic said the OEM camera does not need anything, it works with basic Audio 20 system as well. I've had several cars with back-up camera. And this system is on top of the range with some of the VW cameras. Due to the simple fact, its hidden when it isn't used. It only pops out when in reverse. That way, the camera is always clean and crisp.

Cause the other solutions that aren't hidden and exposed to the road and weather conditions every day. They get dirty pretty fast, esp when its raining.

Just my opinion..
No doubt, the OEM solution is absolutely the best. You really don't have to think about it. Frankly, I'd rather they specified every car with it as standard and just raised the price $500. Much lower priced cars have backup camera as standard equipment. It's not just a loss of significant convenience, but also a point of embarrassment when someone checks out your new car, if I may be so shallow for a moment.

To be honest, I was really really excited about the Navitech folding camera when I first saw it. I thought "wow, an OEM-like solution!". But I grew very frustrated when I couldn't find much information about it. It's like the manufacturer is teasing me with a treasure hunt. My wife has no time or patience for that.

It rained a couple of days ago and you are right, like all exposed rear view cameras, the one I bout gets water droplets on it and reduces its usefulness. It's an inconvenience, but acceptable one.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:23 AM

BMW
Originally Posted by vic viper
OEM rear view camera is available even for the Audio 20 option.
Hi Vic, do you know where can i get an OEM camera in us? Would you happen to know the part number?