C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Fuel Gauge Incorrect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge Incorrect

Hi all,

Bought a brand new C300 Sport last week (white over cranberry) and I'm loving it. Having had the W204 C300, this one is a huge improvement. MB really stepped their game up with the C class.

I've driven the car for about a week now and was running a bit low on gas, so decided to fill it up. I went to the gas station and filled it up with 93 and when I drove off the fuel gauge was about 4 "boxes" away from full. After driving 2 mins, it went up one box to 3 boxes away from full.

I thought that I just didn't fill it up all the way so about 5 miles down the road, I stopped by another gas station and filled up with literally $0.95 worth of fuel. After driving for another 10 miles the box went up one more box to now 2 boxes away from fuel.

Anyone else have/had any issues with the fuel gauge? Will probably drop it off at the dealer but just wanted to check in here. Funny thing is I picked up the car with a full tank of fuel from the dealer.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
No issues here. Perhaps you think it's full but it's clicking off early on the nozzle?
Old 06-27-2015, 03:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
I experienced this in some gas stations
in my case it was frustrating because the pressure sensor within the pump was broken
it shuts itself every 5 seconds. it looked like I didn't know how to fill up my car
I remember I filled it one time and the pump stopped and when I turned on the car it was about half full. I thought that the car had an issue with the fuel gauge.

When I tried different pumps within that gas station they worked perfectly. I tried that broken pump using a different car and it worked perfectly. I figured that it was either the pressure sensor within the pump itself or something in the gas tank. maybe gas gets into the pressure sensor thing and makes it think that its full.

I am not sure about my fuel gauge. How many gallons does this car take to fill it up? Does anybody know? So I can pay attention to it next time I fill up my car

^Is this the problem that you are having? Also I know other people have had this problem too. There was a thread about it a couple of months ago
Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Sounds similar in issue to what those in this thread were saying, except I don't think anyone mentioned the fuel gage reading being off but most were having issues getting the tank to fill up 100%.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
I'm pretty sure that there's something in the fuel tank or whatever it's called that is making the pressure sensor in the pump to shut off

It might be an issue with the pressure sensor within the pump itself

I think fuel gets in the sensor and makes the pump stop

So Far I've only filled up my car about 10 times in the last 4 months and out of those 10 times, I've only experienced this issue 2 times.
And during those two times I spent about 20 minutes filling up the car because the pump shuts itself off every 3 seconds.

Does anybody know how many gallons does the fuel tank hold?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I find I can avoid sensitive pumps by using the pump handle at another angle, as in, not vertical.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
No issues here. Perhaps you think it's full but it's clicking off early on the nozzle?
Pretty sure this was the issue. This and the fuel sensor possibly still breaking in.

While running errands yesterday, the fuel gauge went UP another box, so I stopped at a gas station and tried filling up. Obviously the pump was stopping every 2 seconds so it took me a while to pump it up to about 1.5 gallons worth of gas. Everyone was looking at me like I'm crazy, trying different angles with the nozzle.

Started the car and I was at a full tank. Wondering if I should take it in for this or not waste my time
Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
sometimes it happens when ACC ignition is on while refueling or it could have been vapor lock that was going away over time