C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Just Bought My Winter Wheels/Tires for My 2015 C300 Sport

Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Just Bought My Winter Wheels/Tires for My 2015 C300 Sport

Found a great deal on eBay for a new staggered take-off set of 18" AMG wheels, Pirelli Cinturato A/S RFTs, stock center caps and TPM sensors...only $2,090 w/free shipping...tax free! I'll receive the set in about 3 business days.

I was able to pay through PayPal using their 6 month interest free plan, and I got 2x eBay points because I bought over $99 of goods before June 30th. In the long run I'm sure these wheels will be worth more money come selling time compared to aftermarket wheels bought at TireRack...which would have required centering rings, clips, and new lug nuts.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Don't mean to poo-poo your purchase, but my opinion is you spent too much and didn't get "winter" tires.

You live in MA, so I'm sure your remember how much snow Boston area had last year? Wheels are especially abused by salt in areas that use it in the winter (most of the Northeast US uses it), so paying for OEM wheels likely to get ruined in 2-3 winters is futile.

All-seasons are a poor trade-off compared to a dedicated snow tires, more so if you have a set of dedicated Summer rubber.

I would have downsized to a 17" wheel and winter tire combo. Less expensive, rides better, more sidewall for unexpected winter potholes to save the wheel from potential bends.

Tire Rack give you everything you'll need to mount the new wheels, including TPMS, bolts, center caps, centering rings, etc for about $1200-1400 depending on tire/wheel brand.

Last edited by CorradoJr; 06-28-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
They look great !! I actually prefer these 5 spoke AMG-like wheels over the multi-spoke ones you got ....... but to each their own

Congratulations again on the new ride !
Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by CorradoJr

Don't mean to poo-poo your purchase, but my opinion is you spent too much and didn't get "winter" tires.

You live in MA, so I'm sure your remember how much snow Boston area had last year? Wheels are especially abused by salt in areas that use it in the winter (most of the Northeast US uses it), so paying for OEM wheels likely to get ruined in 2-3 winters is futile.

All-seasons are a poor trade-off compared to a dedicated snow tires, more so if you have a set of dedicated Summer rubber.

I would have downsized to a 17" wheel and winter tire combo. Less expensive, rides better, more sidewall for unexpected winter potholes to save the wheel from potential bends.

Tire Rack give you everything you'll need to mount the new wheels, including TPMS, bolts, center caps, centering rings, etc for about $1200-1400 depending on tire/wheel brand.
You can "poo-poo" all you want...this is the internet!

Not that I feel I have to defend my purchase...but I'm fully aware of the differences between a Winter performance tire and the limitations of an all-season tire. And yes here in Massachusetts we just got through a record setting Winter...but guess what...my wife's 2014 BMW 328i xDrive with all seasons, and my old 2014 Grand Cherokee with all seasons had no issues whatsoever. The fact is I currently have Summer tires on my 19" wheels, and I had to do something come Winter.

I thought about this for weeks now, researching a lot of tire sites & local tire stores in my area. On TireRack I even had priced out a square set of 18x8" Avanti wheels at $179 each (looked similar to the 18" style AMG wheels...the least expensive wheels were $129 each), and four 225/45R18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero (210) Serie II tires RFTs ($833.64) since you can't get Winter Sottozero 3 tires in that size as a RFT...or as a matter of fact any other Winter performance tire as a RFT in that size tire...now throw in a set of aftermarket TPMS at $145...then shipping costs to my door...total was $1,753.72...only $336.28 less than the stock 18" AMG wheels/tire take-off set I just bought from eBay.

The factors that finally swayed me to getting the stock Mercedes AMG wheel/tire set were:

1) Stock Mercedes Benz AMG wheels are worth more...and will be worth more down the road if I decide to sell them in the future.

2) The stock 18" AMG wheels are staggered like my current 19" AMG wheels...hence more stock like handling. The wheels sold at TireRack that fit my C300 did not come in 7.5" and 8.5" widths...only 8".

3) TireRack does not sell Mercedes Benz TPMS, they only offer the cheap aftermarket ones.

4) I won't have to deal with centering rings, clips, and aftermarket lug nuts.

Last edited by MASSC450; 06-28-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by MASSC300
You can "poo-poo" all you want...this is the internet!

Not that I feel I have to defend my purchase...but I'm fully aware of the differences between a Winter performance tire and the limitations of an all-season tire. And yes here in Massachusetts we just got through a record setting Winter...but guess what...my wife's 2014 BMW 328i xDrive with all seasons, and my old 2014 Grand Cherokee with all seasons had no issues whatsoever. The fact is I currently have Summer tires on my 19" wheels, and I had to do something come Winter.

I thought about this for weeks now, researching a lot of tire sites & local tire stores in my area. On TireRack I even had priced out a square set of 18x8" Avanti wheels at $179 each (looked similar to the 18" style AMG wheels...the least expensive wheels were $129 each), and four 225/45R18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero (210) Serie II tires RFTs ($833.64) since you can't get Winter Sottozero 3 tires in that size as a RFT...or as a matter of fact any other Winter performance tire as a RFT in that size tire...now throw in a set of aftermarket TPMS at $145...then shipping costs to my door...total was $1,753.72...only $336.28 less than the stock 18" AMG wheels/tire take-off set I just bought from eBay.

The factors that finally swayed me to getting the stock Mercedes AMG wheel/tire set were:

1) Stock Mercedes Benz AMG wheels are worth more...and will be worth more down the road if I decide to sell them in the future.

2) The stock 18" AMG wheels are staggered like my current 19" AMG wheels...hence more stock like handling. The wheels sold at TireRack that fit my C300 did not come in 7.5" and 8.5" widths...only 8".

3) TireRack does not sell Mercedes Benz TPMS, they only offer the cheap aftermarket ones.

4) I won't have to deal with centering rings, clips, and aftermarket lug nuts.
When put this way, that's sound logic. My suggestion would be to buy some wheel sealant and tire coating from Autogeek or some other site and seal your wheels up with a layer or two of each before putting them on the car this winter. You should be golden.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by DapperStyle

When put this way, that's sound logic. My suggestion would be to buy some wheel sealant and tire coating from Autogeek or some other site and seal your wheels up with a layer or two of each before putting them on the car this winter. You should be golden.
Good tip, thanks!

Another thing I forgot to mention is I had actually been watching the price on 18" AMG take-off sets sold on eBay since ordering my 2015 C300 back in March, and most of the take-off sets I've seen so far were about $2,500 and did not include the TPM sensors.

Even at those higher prices & conditions, every set I've seen posted for sale on eBay has sold.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Good tip, thanks!

Another thing I forgot to mention is I had actually been watching the price on 18" AMG take-off sets sold on eBay since ordering my 2015 C300 back in March, and most of the take-off sets I've seen so far were about $2,500 and did not include the TPM sensors.

Even at those higher prices & conditions, every set I've seen posted for sale on eBay has sold.
Sound like you weighed the choices and got a great deal. Good luck and safe driving!!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by CorradoJr

Sound like you weighed the choices and got a great deal. Good luck and safe driving!!
Thanks!

I totally agree with you that a "Winter Performance" tire will out perform an all season tire in snow & ice...it's just the choices for a true Winter tire for the 2015 C300/C400 is very limited if you decide to stick with a RFT.