C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C-class Takes on Jaguar XE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:07 PM
MBW Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-class Takes on Jaguar XE

How does the C-class comare to the Jaguar XE? Some advice from down under helps us find out.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by AdPock

How does the C-class comare to the Jaguar XE? Some advice from down under helps us find out.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Nice, thanks for posting. Man, I must be biased, but that C looks so more updated than the XE in that article.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
jag looks better in the front, not in the back.

jag is more exclusive, but that can be good or bad

benz looks better inside, better equipped

benz seems to ride better overall, jag has good steering

benz is quicker in a straight line by a slight margin

benz is a better value even though jag is slightly cheaper

i'd rather be seen in the c-class than the jag, to be honest. but the jag looks REALLY mean up front, with the R version coming it's going to be one bad-*** car
Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Sorry, just venting here: I get so frustrated when I see reviews like this that praise the ride quality of the C300. I love my C, but not because of the ride. This is absolutely the worst riding car I have ever been in - it's not even close. I have had two other Mercedes with great ride qualities, so I am baffled. I also just don't understand why nobody complains about it. On bad roads it is actually painful. My head bobs from side to side violently and the suspension makes loud banging sounds that reverberate throughout the car. It has been this way from day one. Of course I will have it checked out next month at my first scheduled service, but I am willing to bet they will find nothing wrong. I just don't get it. Sorry again for the rant...
Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
I'm sure there's something wrong with your car. My experience is the exact opposite from yours. I'm not a fan of the RFT but minor inconvenience

I can't wait to test drive the XE. I've been waiting for this car to come.

Originally Posted by hpilot
Sorry, just venting here: I get so frustrated when I see reviews like this that praise the ride quality of the C300. I love my C, but not because of the ride. This is absolutely the worst riding car I have ever been in - it's not even close. I have had two other Mercedes with great ride qualities, so I am baffled. I also just don't understand why nobody complains about it. On bad roads it is actually painful. My head bobs from side to side violently and the suspension makes loud banging sounds that reverberate throughout the car. It has been this way from day one. Of course I will have it checked out next month at my first scheduled service, but I am willing to bet they will find nothing wrong. I just don't get it. Sorry again for the rant...
Old 09-18-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Originally Posted by hpilot
I was very disappointed in the ride of my C300 sport pkg car with OEM 19" wheels but I sold it and replaced it with another C300 sport pkg car with the standard 18"s and airmatic and that made all the difference in the world! My car rides exactly the way I would expect from a Mercedes.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM

C220d Avantgarde
Its a C200, not C300 and its not a Sport, so the suspension might (will) not be the same.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by hummerhealey
Its a C200, not C300 and its not a Sport, so the suspension might (will) not be the same.
That's the problem. I did not order sport suspension, but a VIN lookup shows that I have sport suspension. I will try to confirm this with an inspection when I bring it in next month. In any case, I regret not getting airmatic.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Capt Slo

I was very disappointed in the ride of my C300 sport pkg car with OEM 19" wheels but I sold it and replaced it with another C300 sport pkg car with the standard 18"s and airmatic and that made all the difference in the world! My car rides exactly the way I would expect from a Mercedes.
I think people who complain about the ride of the C300 Sport with the 19" wheels & steel suspension are crazy...that or they're just not used to driving "performance" cars. I've driven a C300 Sport with Airmatic, and I was only happy with it when it was in "Sport" mode...anything less and it rode like a marshmallo.

Myself...I've owned a modified (i.e. suspension & engine) 2004 Ford Mustang mach 1, a modified EVO X, and modified Subaru WRXs and an STI, and all I have to say is the ride in my C300 Sport with 19" wheels is WAY smoother than any of those vehicles. I feel the ride in my Benz is even smoother than my wife's 2014 BMW 328i xDrive...less crashy for sure over bumps...except in the rear where the C300 is a little on the brittle side.

If anything, I'm worried the ride in my C300 will be too soft when I change over to the stock 18" AMG wheels/Continental A/S tires this Winter.

Last edited by MASSC450; 09-18-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by MASSC300
I think people who complain about the ride of the C300 Sport with the 19" wheels & steel suspension are crazy...that or they're just not used to driving "performance" cars. I've driven a C300 Sport with Airmatic, and I was only happy with it when it was in "Sport" mode...anything less and it rode like a marshmallo.

Myself...I've owned a modified (i.e. suspension & engine) 2004 Ford Mustang mach 1, a modified EVO X, and modified Subaru WRXs and an STI, and all I have to say is the ride in my C300 Sport with 19" wheels is WAY smoother than any of those vehicles. I feel the ride in my Benz is even smoother than my wife's 2014 BMW 328i xDrive...less crashy for sure over bumps...except in the rear where the C300 is a little on the brittle side.

If anything, I'm worried the ride in my C300 will be too soft when I change over to the stock 18" AMG wheels/Continental A/S tires this Winter.

people compare the c300 sport w/19's to "other mercedes" cars like an e class or an older c class. these arent the same freaking cars and no one should have ordered their c300 with a sport package and OPTIONAL 19" wheels with run flat tires if they were looking for a boat-like ride.

if you ordered such a car and are complaining about it, it's like ordering a steak and saying it tastes too much like beef...the f**k?!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:49 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Jag looks better on the outside but Merc has the better interior by quite a margin. other comparisons have put Jag and 3 series ahead of C class so these group tests are quite subjective
Old 09-18-2015, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by LateC300

people compare the c300 sport w/19's to "other mercedes" cars like an e class or an older c class. these arent the same freaking cars and no one should have ordered their c300 with a sport package and OPTIONAL 19" wheels with run flat tires if they were looking for a boat-like ride.

if you ordered such a car and are complaining about it, it's like ordering a steak and saying it tastes too much like beef...the f**k?!
Exactly...that's why I ordered a C300 Sport with 19" wheels because any other suspension choice to me felt too soft.

One would think a test drive would have cleared that up to the potential buyes...at first I could only test drive a "Standard" suspension and found it too soft, so I knew I should order the Sport...with 19" wheels.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Location: Her Majesty's Glorious Midlands of the United Kingdom of Great Britain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Premium Plus Estate (S205)
Originally Posted by Sol01
Jag looks better on the outside but Merc has the better interior by quite a margin. other comparisons have put Jag and 3 series ahead of C class so these group tests are quite subjective
I went and had a good poke around the XE when it came into my local dealer a few weeks ago.

Size-wise, it's pretty much the same as the 205. Interior is better quality, but not by much and the design is more subtle (some might say more Audi-like). Exterior design, again more subtle than the 205 but very definitely a Jaguar. Although the rear is a little weak.

Driver's seat vastly more comfortable than the 205, but both cars are really too small for a driver over 6 foot tall.

Would I buy one? No, but now I wouldn't buy a 205 after owning one for 6 month either.

Next one will be an Jaguar XF Sportbrake.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:36 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by bensales
I went and had a good poke around the XE when it came into my local dealer a few weeks ago.

Size-wise, it's pretty much the same as the 205. Interior is better quality, but not by much and the design is more subtle (some might say more Audi-like). Exterior design, again more subtle than the 205 but very definitely a Jaguar. Although the rear is a little weak.

Driver's seat vastly more comfortable than the 205, but both cars are really too small for a driver over 6 foot tall.

Would I buy one? No, but now I wouldn't buy a 205 after owning one for 6 month either.

Next one will be an Jaguar XF Sportbrake.

interesting observation regarding the interior. Next week I would be in London so would go and check it out for sure as the finance on my current coupe is coming to an end. most group tests in UK have put the Jag ahead of 3 series with C Class mostly in 3rd spot but they could be more biased for obvious reasons
Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by Sol01
interesting observation regarding the interior. Next week I would be in London so would go and check it out for sure as the finance on my current coupe is coming to an end. most group tests in UK have put the Jag ahead of 3 series with C Class mostly in 3rd spot but they could be more biased for obvious reasons
I am a brit living in france and my take from reading it often is that the main uk motoring press is very definately anti mercedes. BMW are their favourite and mercedes are never rated as highly often coming third behind audi. Jaguar being the new kid on the block and made in the uk is mixing things up but BMW are still the preferred option. Uk roads are now in terrIble condition and traffic rarely flows feely so many of the BMW attributes are wasted. For me I cannot get past the fact Jaguar is wholly indian owned not british and it is assembled in the uk, I remember the days of british leyland what a pile of c**p their cars were. To me jaguar are selling a heritage they do not have that stopped when Ford bought the name and sadly i am not convinced the inherent work ethic and management ability is as good in the uk as in germany.......but what do i know i now live in france a country of wonderful automotive engineering ideas not very well executed....peugeot, renault or citroen anyone?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 PM

C300 diesel hybrid
Originally Posted by parkwood
I am a brit living in france and my take from reading it often is that the main uk motoring press is very definately anti mercedes. BMW are their favourite and mercedes are never rated as highly often coming third behind audi. Jaguar being the new kid on the block and made in the uk is mixing things up but BMW are still the preferred option. Uk roads are now in terrIble condition and traffic rarely flows feely so many of the BMW attributes are wasted. For me I cannot get past the fact Jaguar is wholly indian owned not british and it is assembled in the uk, I remember the days of british leyland what a pile of c**p their cars were. To me jaguar are selling a heritage they do not have that stopped when Ford bought the name and sadly i am not convinced the inherent work ethic and management ability is as good in the uk as in germany.......but what do i know i now live in france a country of wonderful automotive engineering ideas not very well executed....peugeot, renault or citroen anyone?
Yep, you are right about the UK press, BMW is the firm favourite. You might have seen the recent test in Whatcar (September) of a c300 hybrid vs a 520 and XE. If I average the points for all the categories the MB scores 3.7 the XE 3.9 and the BMW 4.3, so fairly close really, but in their summary they round the MB down to 3, the XE up to 4 and the BMW up to 5. They always criticise the MB refinement even though it runs better than a 4 cylinder 4 series which sounds like a bag of bolts at idle - one of the reasons I didn't buy one.

Having said that MB don't do themselves any favours by giving the press a car with a clunky gearbox - obviously didn't have the software update.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Steve9

Yep, you are right about the UK press, BMW is the firm favourite. You might have seen the recent test in Whatcar (September) of a c300 hybrid vs a 520 and XE. If I average the points for all the categories the MB scores 3.7 the XE 3.9 and the BMW 4.3, so fairly close really, but in their summary they round the MB down to 3, the XE up to 4 and the BMW up to 5. They always criticise the MB refinement even though it runs better than a 4 cylinder 4 series which sounds like a bag of bolts at idle - one of the reasons I didn't buy one.
So true.

To me...my 2015 C300 Sport 4Matic is more refined in every catagory compaired to my wife's 2014 328i xDrive...interior and engine noise especially. Her 3 Series 4 banger sounds like a damn diesel at idle!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM

C220d Avantgarde
The XE is a good car but i can't get used to its thirteen in a dozen design. What is strange that my C220d 7G weights 1570 and the comparable XE weights 1565kg. Where is the advantage of the full Aluminium body?

The XE is more an alternative to the BMW 3 / 4 than the W205. It leans more toward sport compared to comfort like the W205.