C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY16 C300
Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings

Well, the Consumer Reports Reliability rating for the C-Class is finally out. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...eliability.htm

As expected, reliability for the 2015 C doesn't get a high rating. In fact, they rate it "Poor", although it's hard to understand how they got there from the details that are included (Suspension and Body Integrity are "Good"; Power Equipment is "Very Good"; Audio System is "Fair" and everything else is Excellent). But if reports from early buyers of the 2015 C on this forum are at all representative, there were definite quality and reliability problems, at least early in the model year.

But here's the part that's scary. Their prediction for the 2016 model year is "Much Worse than Average". Their comment: "Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 82% below average".

Based on comments I've seen on this forum by late 2015 and 2016 buyers, quality seems much better. It will be interesting to see if the press and/or Mercedes Benz respond to this new report.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I put ZERO credibility into Consumer Reports. Maybe less than zero. They came and said the Tesla was the best car they EVER tested, only to be followed by it has the worst track record for repairs of any car this year.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by Steve71
Well, the Consumer Reports Reliability rating for the C-Class is finally out. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...eliability.htm

As expected, reliability for the 2015 C doesn't get a high rating. In fact, they rate it "Poor", although it's hard to understand how they got there from the details that are included (Suspension and Body Integrity are "Good"; Power Equipment is "Very Good"; Audio System is "Fair" and everything else is Excellent). But if reports from early buyers of the 2015 C on this forum are at all representative, there were definite quality and reliability problems, at least early in the model year.

But here's the part that's scary. Their prediction for the 2016 model year is "Much Worse than Average". Their comment: "Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 82% below average".

Based on comments I've seen on this forum by late 2015 and 2016 buyers, quality seems much better. It will be interesting to see if the press and/or Mercedes Benz respond to this new report.
It is worse than average considering that I went to dealership 3 times in less than a year to fix various noise problem. What surprise me the problem for body integrity is bad and audio system is more problematic. That is strange. I guess my C300 is not representative of the real stuff.

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and filled in their survey.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Steve71

The explanation is very simple. The Final score is not an average of the individual scores. Its a comparison to other vehicles aggregate scores. Its called standard deviation if your score is 3SD from the averages you get a poor rating. Given that most cars first year reliability is actually quite good, just a few demerits takes you to the bottom of the heap. AS anyone who reads anything around here, the C class has suffered from a plethora of issues in its first year many of them widespread, from "bleeding" seats to failing audio systems, poor fit and finish, etc. Personally I had a bum air suspension, dead audio system and dead door sensors, being a traditional Honda owner used to zero defects from day one, its certainly a poor showing. For the suspension and audio the car spent over a week in the shop. Since my last visit everything has been fine and thankfully the car hasn't left me stranded anywhere.
The Poor rating is well earned. Hopefully, it will improve with the future iterations once the "bugs" have been worked out.
Mercedes is not alone in its reliability woes, as manufacturers race to jam more technology in cars reliability has suffered.
Consumer reports is simply the messenger, crapping over their reputation is like trying to put out an three alarm fire with a backyard hose. If any journalistic source has any sort of scientific reliability its them.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I put ZERO credibility into Consumer Reports. Maybe less than zero. They came and said the Tesla was the best car they EVER tested, only to be followed by it has the worst track record for repairs of any car this year.
Couldn't agree more. My C has been essentially perfect.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
My LATE built 2015 C300 Sport 4Matic (late June 2015 delivery) has been pretty much trouble-free...knock on wood.

A hell of a lot better than my old POS first year 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that's for sure! Never again Chrysler, never again!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Couldn't agree more. My C has been essentially perfect.
As Im sure they have been for 90%of owners, however, when other brands have over 98%, 90 percent is bad. Simple statistical analysis. Just as there have been cars that have had perfect reliability there have been quite a few around here that have been fairly bad and that least one that was taken in by the dealer for a replacement.
In statistical analysis, your own personal experience in particular is meaningless its simply another data point.
As I pointed out previously Consumer reports as most reviewers think the Tesla performs extraordinarily in their tests. They also scored the C class as the best car in its category, however, once both their reliability came out (collecting data takes no less than a year) both lost their recommendation. Simple, isn't it? Consumer reports is not perfect but it at least can back up their assertions with clear math.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
It has almost been a year for me and absolutely no issues.
Probably the most enjoyable automobile I have driven in years.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
As Im sure they have been for 90%of owners, however, when other brands have over 98%, 90 percent is bad. Simple statistical analysis. Just as there have been cars that have had perfect reliability there have been quite a few around here that have been fairly bad and that least one that was taken in by the dealer for a replacement.
In statistical analysis, your own personal experience in particular is meaningless its simply another data point.
As I pointed out previously Consumer reports as most reviewers think the Tesla performs extraordinarily in their tests. They also scored the C class as the best car in its category, however, once both their reliability came out (collecting data takes no less than a year) both lost their recommendation. Simple, isn't it? Consumer reports is not perfect but it at least can back up their assertions with clear math.
Totally agree. It is relative to other vehicles. Also the data comes from other owners so if some of these guys want to blame someone for the poor ratings then blame other MB owners who filled out the survey.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

2015 MB Sprinter RV
So far, my 2016 is too pretty to have any defects. This has been the cheapest car I have ever purchased (since college), but I am really enjoying it the most, it is smooth, silent, it has a nice engine buzz, its fit and finish is beyond words, how could a human design it so well ... its a work of art.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by True101
So far, my 2016 is too pretty to have any defects. This has been the cheapest car I have ever purchased (since college), but I am really enjoying it the most, it is smooth, silent, it has a nice engine buzz, its fit and finish is beyond words, how could a human design it so well ... its a work of art.
I love mine too despite its early flaws, best car Ive owned..
Old 10-23-2015, 04:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Originally Posted by solarflare
It is worse than average considering that I went to dealership 3 times in less than a year to fix various noise problem. What surprise me the problem for body integrity is bad and audio system is more problematic. That is strange. I guess my C300 is not representative of the real stuff.

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and filled in their survey.
Would be interesting to see survey results of what subscribers to Consumer Reports actually drive.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Not a single problem on mine since 1 year.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
But some have issues:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...cond-c300.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...xperience.html