C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C Class not the worst in consumer reports reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
C Class not the worst in consumer reports reliability

"Only" third worst in its Class! Woohoo!
"Only" 82% below the average!
Really not a surprise for most of us that bought the first production.
Not surprisingly the most common defects reported were all the ones I suffered. Suspension, Infotainment, Electronic controls (Door sensors). They also mentioned the 4matic which has not been a problem for me. Lets hope that these are only first year "teething" issues.
At least it did better than the ATS and the Acura TLX. The TLX was surprisingly bad primarily because of a bum 9 speed transmission.
For non USA residents, the TLX is a North American "luxury" version of the Honda Accord, usually very reliable.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
I saw that, amazingly embarrassing.

Unfortunately the 2015 C300 I have is the worst car I've ever had. Having MB buy my lease out early based on they've had it more than I have. Terrible build quality IMO. Aside from nice interior appointments and nice handling, nothing luxury about it. It seems beyond teething problems of how adamantly MB is at calling defects normal.

Going to probably buy a Lexus. Not as engaging to drive, but blows MB away in any other luxury metric IMO. Will see what kinks the Germans can work out on next generation or so. If they could only get their QA together, they really would have something.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
CR mentions drive system, which is not necessarily the 4Matic. I believe that covers several areas, including the transmission, which has garnered its share of complaints. In-car electronics mainly concerns the user interface, which many owners find too complex. The steering/suspension is an area I hadn't heard many complaints about. Nothing listed covers the problems with MB-Tex, wind noise issues, or fit and finish defects. I don't think the CR ratings surprise any of us. I wonder how the European and SA builds would do in a similar survey.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by HelenR

Going to probably buy a Lexus. Not as engaging to drive, but blows MB away in any other luxury metric IMO. Will see what kinks the Germans can work out on next generation or so. If they could only get their QA together, they really would have something.
I've had good luck with my late build 2015 C300 Sport 4Matic, but I'm now at the point where the short comings of the vehicle are beginning to bug me...like no remote start through mbrace, no heated steering wheel or heated rear seats, no free mbrace for 5 years...then there's stuff like the car's interior is not as quiet as I thought it would be for a Mercedes (now I'm getting seal noise around the driver's door in the cold mornings), rough shifting in the lower gears, turbo lag at starts, no perment shut-off for that stupid auto-engine shut-off, and slow 3G service. Only 5 months with the vehicle and I'm getting tired of it all ready.

I'll tell you though, I'll be looking real hard at the 2017 BMW 328i xDrive with the new 4 cylinder engine, and a 2017 Lexus IS350 AWD if it comes with that new 8 sp transmission.

Last edited by MASSC450; 11-04-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
CR mentions drive system, which is not necessarily the 4Matic. I believe that covers several areas, including the transmission, which has garnered its share of complaints. In-car electronics mainly concerns the user interface, which many owners find too complex. The steering/suspension is an area I hadn't heard many complaints about. Nothing listed covers the problems with MB-Tex, wind noise issues, or fit and finish defects. I don't think the CR ratings surprise any of us. I wonder how the European and SA builds would do in a similar survey.
All true. What I'll never understand is why Lexus' worst ever car rating, is leagues beter than Mercedes' best ever car. Why can't the german autos, Mercedes and Audi especially even be in the same ball park of build quality and completion of the product as even main stream cars, much less Lexus.

Mine hasn't left me at the side of the road, but has had many visits to the dealer for annoyances, firmware, steering, noise, gas door, touch pad, brake adjustment, the list goes on.

Outstanding designs, poorly executed. I don't think Mercedes will take that as their marketing slogan, but it wound unfortunately fit. Frustrating. I'd sell, but check the postings, these cars are being sold a dime a dozen used. Found one near me, C400 with 8200 miles, pretty loaded, $31k asking.

Last edited by kellens; 11-04-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
I bought the car with my eyes wide open. I knew that Mercedes has always had spotty reliability at best. However the mix of beautiful design and performance of the C400 was impossible to resist. As long as the car doesn't leave me stranded (which is my never buy again criteria) I will take the otherwise minor glitches in stride. After my initial rash of issues the car has been essentially perfect (a little distortion from the radio here and there). Its superbly comfortable, handles with alacrity (after replacing the all seasons) and is very, very fast (after the Renntech tune which added the second "very").
As to going the Lexus path, I test drove an AWD GS back to back with the C Class, a totally disappointing experience. The "luxury" was subpar, the engine was basically "adequate", the handling was poor and the electronic interface was just as bad or worse than MB. In fact it was worse than a C300 in basically every respect. It felt no better than a glorified Toyota with better leather. I guess if you never go faster than the speed limit and feel over the hill an LS might be a good option, otherwise, I would avoid Lexus entirely. I'll take some little frustrations over being bored to death all the time.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I bought the car with my eyes wide open. I knew that Mercedes has always had spotty reliability at best. However the mix of beautiful design and performance of the C400 was impossible to resist. As long as the car doesn't leave me stranded (which is my never buy again criteria) I will take the otherwise minor glitches in stride. After my initial rash of issues the car has been essentially perfect (a little distortion from the radio here and there). Its superbly comfortable, handles with alacrity (after replacing the all seasons) and is very, very fast (after the Renntech tune which added the second "very").
As to going the Lexus path, I test drove an AWD GS back to back with the C Class, a totally disappointing experience. The "luxury" was subpar, the engine was basically "adequate", the handling was poor and the electronic interface was just as bad or worse than MB. In fact it was worse than a C300 in basically every respect. It felt no better than a glorified Toyota with better leather. I guess if you never go faster than the speed limit and feel over the hill an LS might be a good option, otherwise, I would avoid Lexus entirely. I'll take some little frustrations over being bored to death all the time.
I had a Lexus LS once. For 8 weeks. Most boring drive I've ever had. It was like taking my family sofa for a drive. I got rid of it after 8 weeks and went back to Mercedes. Lexus just doesn't have any fun built into their DNA when it comes to cars. And you're right. They are Toyota's with better leather.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I too went into this well aware of the spotty MB reliability record with its cars. Unfortunately, my first C300 was a nightmare as far as defects and mandatory trips to the dealer. It never left me stranded ... although there were times I thought it would due to its refusal to let me into the car ... but the majority of the first 3,000 miles were put on going back and forth to the dealer. If it weren't for my dealer's intervention in getting me a new C300, that car would have been the first and last MB I ever owned. As good as the car's design was, I became thoroughly disgusted with it and would have absorbed any financial hit to get rid of it.

I have no idea why there is such a huge contrast between that early car's horrible build quality and the virtually trouble free experience I am having with my current C300. The VIN jumped from the 27xx range into the 61xxx range, but that alone doesn't explain the differences since the components are essentially the same. At best, perhaps, it means that someone may be finally getting a handle on the Alabama assembly process and the previous lack of any apparent QC. At worst, it may be nothing but luck in randomly getting a well built car. In any case, it seems to be a learning process that the consumer should never have been exposed to. For everyone's sake, I can only hope that the 2016 production run has finally progressed beyond the beta testing stage.

Last edited by StanNH; 11-04-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
I too went into this well aware of the spotty MB reliability record with its cars. Unfortunately, my first C300 was a nightmare as far as defects and mandatory trips to the dealer. It never left me stranded ... although there were times I thought it would due to its refusal to let me into the car ... but the majority of the first 3,000 miles were put on going back and forth to the dealer. If it weren't for my dealer's intervention in getting me a new C300, that car would have been the first and last MB I ever owned. As good as the car's design was, I became thoroughly disgusted with it and would have absorbed any financial hit to get rid of it.

I have no idea why there is such a huge contrast between that early car's horrible build quality and the virtually trouble free experience I am having with my current C300. The VIN jumped from the 27xx range into the 61xxx range, but that alone doesn't explain the differences since the components are essentially the same. At best, perhaps, it means that someone may be finally getting a handle on the Alabama assembly process and the previous lack of any apparent QC. At worst, it may be nothing but luck in randomly getting a well built car. In any case, it seems to be a learning process that the consumer should never have been exposed to. For everyone's sake, I can only hope that the 2016 production run has finally progressed beyond the beta testing stage.
The truth is we got used to reliable cars for a while but it seems that most manufacturers have returned to beta testing their vehicles with early production cars. The rapid pace of electronic car systems has simply outstripped the ability of the QC/QA systems in place. Cars are basically being designed, built and tested by computers now with the predictable "beta" results. Again, even Asian paragons of reliability are suffering too.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
That's why it's great there's so many choices of cars for those that can afford it. The MB when you drive it very engaging, the comparable Lexus' (or is it Lexi) I have test driven beat it in every other metric. While I agree, the LS wouldn't be my first choice, it's as reliable as can be, and so precisely put together, it makes my C look like a high school science project.

I bring this up as they're on the polar opposite of MB on reliability. I didn't think the MB would be completely ironed out, or even to Hyundai level, but didn't think it would be this bad.

While my C is a wonderful design and engaging car to drive when it works if you can ignore the bugs, replace run flats, windows, etc.... NOTHING is more boring and aggravating at the same time than the MB ownership experience where defects are all either normal, or part of the design according to their manufacturer.

Still waiting to hear that they'll take it back on lease and sell it to some other sucker.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

While my C is a wonderful design and engaging car to drive when it works if you can ignore the bugs, replace run flats, windows, etc.... NOTHING is more boring and aggravating at the same time than the MB ownership experience where defects are all either normal, or part of the design according to their manufacturer.

Still waiting to hear that they'll take it back on lease and sell it to some other sucker.
Helen, I remember you pretty much had your car hand picked and prepped by your dealer, including acoustic glass installation. What problems are you having with it after all that good initial work by your dealer?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
That's why it's great there's so many choices of cars for those that can afford it. The MB when you drive it very engaging, the comparable Lexus' (or is it Lexi) I have test driven beat it in every other metric. While I agree, the LS wouldn't be my first choice, it's as reliable as can be, and so precisely put together, it makes my C look like a high school science project.

I bring this up as they're on the polar opposite of MB on reliability. I didn't think the MB would be completely ironed out, or even to Hyundai level, but didn't think it would be this bad.

Agree completely. I switched dealers for that reason. The new dealer is most definitely better than the old one. My only chagrin is the new one is 40 miles farther than the previous one (which was already 80 miles away) though its now in a place I go often since my daughter is in college there.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:44 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Helen, I remember you pretty much had your car hand picked and prepped by your dealer, including acoustic glass installation. What problems are you having with it after all that good initial work by your dealer?
Great memory! The glass was taken care of and the past manager of the dealer who since left, was very helpful getting me in the car on a short term lease. I had ordered one with enough deficiencies in build that they returned it. I'm on the second one.

The steering has a bug in it that they can't find, it gives the warning, will reset if left alone for 15-20 minutes, and yet to be fixed by firmware. Fuel door was ok new, but after closing door after fill up, it's crooked. I'm not that strong. I just pushed in about half an inch. Required rework, and they said I had damaged it...wasn't covered. They contacted MBUSA who said "No fuel doors on a 2015 c class have had any alighment issues to date'. My command volumes are erratic, and they changed the unit, and tried several firmwares, no luck. They say it's hopefully going to be addressed in a future patch. There's a buzzing sound, from the drive line or rear end differential when vehicle isn't accelerating that is new, they say it's normal. That's all I can think of now.

Great group of folks here! i just feel badly they didn't get the kinks worked out. Cool looking and driving car, when it works.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Agree completely. I switched dealers for that reason. The new dealer is most definitely better than the old one. My only chagrin is the new one is 40 miles farther than the previous one (which was already 80 miles away) though its now in a place I go often since my daughter is in college there.
My hopes that you continue to have good luck!

My issues were more with once hitting an issue, MBUSA acting like I'm the first one to express the concern.

I understand refresh year cars have bugs. They just don't get fixed or keep customers with the MBUSA mentality. I don't mean to be negative either. I had high hopes, and relatively low expectations for this car. I went through 2 of them.

Hopefully my C will be gone soon enough. Great handling concept car. A finished refined product, even if boring to drive, sounds most luxurious and appealing to me about now

Last edited by HelenR; 11-04-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Helen, just so you know, fuel door alignment problems were common. My first C300 had a terribly aligned fuel door and the entire assembly had to be replaced. The door and assembly are plastic, and the door is glued on to the arm. There is no adjustment in this, so a new unit is the only way to get it set properly. Your dealer should have simply replaced the assembly for you.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:53 PM
mvw

2016 C450 AMG; 2015 Infiniti QX60

Well, I'm just one driver, but my 450, which was one of the first ones that showed up in Canada, hasn't had any real issues (although the wind noise on the highway is probably similar to other complaints on the board). tech interface is pretty dysfunctional, but that's not really a defect as much as just bad systems design.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5
"Only" third worst in its Class! Woohoo!
"Only" 82% below the average!
Really not a surprise for most of us that bought the first production.
Not surprisingly the most common defects reported were all the ones I suffered. Suspension, Infotainment, Electronic controls (Door sensors). They also mentioned the 4matic which has not been a problem for me. Lets hope that these are only first year "teething" issues.
At least it did better than the ATS and the Acura TLX. The TLX was surprisingly bad primarily because of a bum 9 speed transmission.
For non USA residents, the TLX is a North American "luxury" version of the Honda Accord, usually very reliable.
What is suspension problem you refer to?
Old 11-05-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Yukon XL 8.1 09 WRX
I really wanted to risk it....really

The CR and JD power reliability data for the 14 C series was what finally killed it for me. I don't live anywhere near a dealer, and even if an hour away I would have taken the risk after my c450 test drive. Almost resentful of MB actually. Love that interior and I think they have hit the sweet spot for performance, handling and $$ with the 450. Let's see if they can get reliability mostly sorted as they did at the end of the 204 production run. Then I can get one after this lease.
With 4 kids, the c was a bit of a down stretch but I would have done it. Getting a GS Fsport. Handling beat the A6, E 400 (it's size equivalent) IMHO when I drove them and turns out many road test articles agree. Not near the straight line punch, but more than I will get to use often. I had the same "it's a fancy Toyota appliance" mentality and only drove it to kill 2 hours in between other appointments. Put it in Sport + and left it there. I was shocked that I enjoyed it.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Volkov
The CR and JD power reliability data for the 14 C series was what finally killed it for me. I don't live anywhere near a dealer, and even if an hour away I would have taken the risk after my c450 test drive. Almost resentful of MB actually. Love that interior and I think they have hit the sweet spot for performance, handling and $$ with the 450. Let's see if they can get reliability mostly sorted as they did at the end of the 204 production run. Then I can get one after this lease.
With 4 kids, the c was a bit of a down stretch but I would have done it. Getting a GS Fsport. Handling beat the A6, E 400 (it's size equivalent) IMHO when I drove them and turns out many road test articles agree. Not near the straight line punch, but more than I will get to use often. I had the same "it's a fancy Toyota appliance" mentality and only drove it to kill 2 hours in between other appointments. Put it in Sport + and left it there. I was shocked that I enjoyed it.
Not to bash MB, I am a fan boy and I've owned a few, including the W205, but gotta admit, you made a smart move to go with the Lexus. I'm not surprised you liked it. GS, even ES in a higher up range than the W205. 2015 C more competes with IS. Lexus products extremely 'finished' and engaging. I drove a friends 2016 ES (supposedly one of their less engaging, but more comfortable), and was shocked at how nice it drove and especially rode, nothing like 5 or even 3 years ago. Wasn't a GS, nor C class in handling, but ES blew my C away in fit, finish, and just a completed, well designed and executed, flawless product. I thought marry MB design and drive, and Lexus everything else, and you're onto something. The 2016 GS F sport looks like it will be fun too. AND it will work, and hold some value. What a concept.

The older brand snobs, or many on this board likely to scoff at Lexus as it's a newer brand, or think less of Toyota making it, but anyone in the know realizes Toyota's build process puts MB to shame on every model, every year, every car. Not luck of the draw like with this car. I'll say it shouldn't be that way, but it is. MB has gizmos and driving engagement, but that's where it stops. They kinda returned to the early 2000s. Poor builds, and MB, especially MBUSA not standing behind the products. I'm disheartened. The reliability numbers don't lie. And I think they're actually being kind to the German auto makers.

All that said, I realize we're on an MB forum, and many will disagree with me. CR, JD Power, and owners of the cars won't though.

Last edited by kellens; 11-05-2015 at 08:35 PM.