C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Anyone changed to run flat tyres?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2016 | 06:10 AM

MB C Class C250 Sport Bluetec Auto Estate
Anyone changed to run flat tyres?

In the past I've had two bad experiences with puncture repair sealant as supplied with my W205. In both cases the puncture was too large to be sealed and the tyres had to be scrapped. I understand that even if the sealant works most tyre repairers won't repair the tyre. Therefore I'm vaguely thinking of changing to run flats but realise that the ride might be compromised. Has anyone actually changed to run flats? If so I'd welcome comments.
Old 01-17-2016 | 07:02 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by bertj
In the past I've had two bad experiences with puncture repair sealant as supplied with my W205. In both cases the puncture was too large to be sealed and the tyres had to be scrapped. I understand that even if the sealant works most tyre repairers won't repair the tyre. Therefore I'm vaguely thinking of changing to run flats but realise that the ride might be compromised. Has anyone actually changed to run flats? If so I'd welcome comments.
I'm assuming you're not from the US because US spec cars come with run flats standard I beilive. I personally hate them, at low speeds (under 60mph) the ride is very rough on my car. Run flats have stiffer side walls so the ride is much harder. If you're willing to forgo ride quality for convenience, only then would I get run flats. My next fire set will be non-runflats
Old 01-17-2016 | 09:44 AM
RTX

2015, W205, C 220 BlueTEC AMG Line
what tyre brand did you have, and what alternatives are you looking at?
I had zero problem with runflats, very reliable choice.
Old 01-17-2016 | 11:36 AM

2020 GLC43
Originally Posted by Aladdin2016
I'm assuming you're not from the US because US spec cars come with run flats standard I beilive. I personally hate them, at low speeds (under 60mph) the ride is very rough on my car. Run flats have stiffer side walls so the ride is much harder. If you're willing to forgo ride quality for convenience, only then would I get run flats. My next fire set will be non-runflats
Never had runflats. Curious, if switching to normal tires and car lacks spare, what to do in the event of puncture?
Old 01-17-2016 | 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I don't get the fear some have with MB MOE RFTs. A lot of time and testing has gone into the new generation of RFTs MB is using in their cars. On both of GLC300 and C300 Sport, the're not harsh feeling and I'm comforted to know if I hit a nail, the tire won't blow out on me at highway speeds.
Old 01-17-2016 | 12:02 PM

MB C Class C250 Sport Bluetec Auto Estate
In the UK MB supplies a small 12 volt compressor and a can of tyre sealant. The sealant can is screwed onto the compressor and the sealant is forced into the tyre under pressure and, in theory, blocks the puncture hole and then blows up the tyre. The problem is that the hole cannot be larger than 4mm. According to many people, including myself, this doesn't work and you're left stranded. To make matters worse tyre repairers will not repair tyres that have the sealant inside them so a new tyre and can of sealant is required. Also, of course, there's nowhere to put a spare wheel in the C Class. This is progress?!
Old 01-17-2016 | 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Xtrema
Never had runflats. Curious, if switching to normal tires and car lacks spare, what to do in the event of puncture?
1-800-MBcomegetme
Old 01-17-2016 | 11:46 PM

2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Not all runflats are "MOE"s

Originally Posted by Aladdin2016
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I don't get the fear some have with MB MOE RFTs. A lot of time and testing has gone into the new generation of RFTs MB is using in their cars. On both of GLC300 and C300 Sport, the're not harsh feeling and I'm comforted to know if I hit a nail, the tire won't blow out on me at highway speeds.
Aladdin2016, are your runflats "MOE"s? rbrylaw's favorable experience (and my own, with my C300) is based on runflats that are MOEs. If you are running non-MOE runflats, this would explain the discrepancy between your experience and our experience.

"MOE"s refers to "Mercedes-Benz Original Extended Tires" ("MOExtended" or "MOE"). According to TireRack,
"Tires branded with MOExtended or MOE on their sidewalls identify them as being specifically tuned for Mercedes-Benz vehicles. ... [S]ince they don't meet all of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) run-flat tire operating limits under all permitted vehicle loads, they cannot be branded as run-flat tires. ... Mercedes-Benz ... collaborated with several tire manufacturers to develop lighter-duty temporary extended mobility tires that ... enhanc[e] vehicle fuel economy and everyday ride comfort."
MB seems to have heard owners like you, so, until now, I have assumed that all runflats on U.S. cars are MOEs. Perhaps it is not so for AMG models like yours. For your 2016 C450 AMG, there are only three original equipment MOEs for 18" wheels:
CONTINENTAL CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 SSR,
CONTINENTAL PROCONTACT GX SSR, and
PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN FLAT.
(BRIDGESTONE DRIVEGUARD is also available as an MOE tire for your model, but is not original equipment.)
For 19" wheels, there are only two original equipment MOEs:
CONTINENTAL CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 SSR and
PIRELLI P ZERO RUN FLAT.
(PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN FLAT is also available as an MOE tire for your model, but is not original equipment.)
If you are not running MOE runflats, switching to one of the listed MOE tires might improve your car's ride, while keeping the advantages of runflats.
Old 01-19-2016 | 03:47 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
i can't wait to switch to non-runflats. my dealer told me mercedes rims are soft, he was a saab adviser for 25 years and saw 1 bent rim and now at mercedes he sees around 5 a week. bad road plus runflats keep bending my front wheels, tired of it
Old 01-19-2016 | 06:06 PM

C300 Hybrid (AMG Line), MG TF 160, BMW 120d
In the UK MB supplies a small 12 volt compressor and a can of tyre sealant. The sealant can is screwed onto the compressor and the sealant is forced into the tyre under pressure and, in theory, blocks the puncture hole and then blows up the tyre. The problem is that the hole cannot be larger than 4mm. According to many people, including myself, this doesn't work and you're left stranded. To make matters worse tyre repairers will not repair tyres that have the sealant inside them so a new tyre and can of sealant is required. Also, of course, there's nowhere to put a spare wheel in the C Class. This is progress?!
Mine has runflats and no compressor. Seems to be fairly rare on cars over here because when getting the rears replaced recently I had a hell of a job convincing the tyre places that my car did have runflats and I don't think they really believed me until I took it in.

I've had one puncture on the back and although you do know about it the car was still perfectly drivable, just the noise the deflated tyre makes which is a little concerning.
Old 01-31-2016 | 03:41 PM

W205 220 Bluetec AMG 15' / W202 220cdi Esprit 99'
can't wait to change for non run flats... it's terrible hard and non comfort.
my bro makes 20 000km with W205 220cdi 170HP!! and they are like slick, now he has cheap nexen winter tyres and they are much better and so silent...
yhhh i have only made 10 000km so must drive with them...
my dad on W212 350cdi has continental 19inch non run flat, make already 50 000km and still have 3-4mm on tyres.
I buy them with new car ( it was standard tyres) and no fun with riding...

Last edited by Master_PiT; 01-31-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2016 | 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
In the past I've had two bad experiences with puncture repair sealant as supplied with my W205. In both cases the puncture was too large to be sealed and the tyres had to be scrapped. I understand that even if the sealant works most tyre repairers won't repair the tyre.
I have had one similar experience while driving through southern Utah, when my car developed a flat (non-RFT), I refilled it with the sealant and compressor, then drove on to the nearest tire shop over 200 km away. This shop did not hesitate to clean out the sealant before patching the tire.

Of course, if you switch to RFTs, most reputable tire dealers will NOT attempt any repairs on RFTs. In the event of a flat, you would need to purchase a new tire. If you are in a remote area or in any place where your car's correct tire size in not stocked, you are screwed. This is the major shortcoming of RFTs: they are often hard to source and expensive to replace.

In the event of an RFT flat, it still makes sense to attempt a temporary repair with sealant, unless you are within 80 km range of your MB dealer or a tire shop with the right replacement tire in stock. Remember that a deflated RFT is only good for a MAXIMUM range of 80 km @ speeds no greater than 80 kph. If you do any long distance travel, my advice would be to always carry a TireFit kit for temporary repairs.

Last edited by DerekACS; 01-31-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2016 | 06:28 PM
Banned

2016 c450
So, is that when you call mbrace for a truck?